As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Apartment Rent Question

Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, today's my last day to back out of a lease, and I don't want to, because I really need the apartment and it's reasonably priced for the area. Something's bugging me though. On the website, it has a price listed at $15 less than I'll likely be paying. The first floor apartments are also apparently $20 less than the second/third floor, and are yet the exact same size and design.

Is the website thing illegal? It kind of seems like false advertising. It doesn't say "starting at" it just lists it as a flat amount. The price difference between floors seems kind of wonky as well.

Mai-Kero on

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    So, today's my last day to back out of a lease, and I don't want to, because I really need the apartment and it's reasonably priced for the area. Something's bugging me though. On the website, it has a price listed at $15 less than I'll likely be paying. The first floor apartments are also apparently $20 less than the second/third floor, and are yet the exact same size and design.

Is the website thing illegal? It kind of seems like false advertising. It doesn't say "starting at" it just lists it as a flat amount. The price difference between floors seems kind of wonky as well.

Are you sure they are exactly the same? Like you have somthing they don't, you get a washer/dryer or somthing?

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Yeah you might want to bring that up. However, do you have any pets or are you going in with a roommate? These kinds of things will up your monthly payments.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • LPDustinLPDustin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Personaly I've always felt that ground floor apartment arent as safe and more likely to get broken in to, so I would expect to pay less for a ground floor.

LPDustin on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It is not uncommon for different floors to have different prices. Apartments with a view usually have a higher rent, as well, even though they may be the same floor plan.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also, if your on the top floor, you dont have to deal with neighbors above you making noise.... :D

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    LPDustin wrote: »
    Personaly I've always felt that ground floor apartment arent as safe and more likely to get broken in to, so I would expect to pay less for a ground floor.

I didn't think about that. I guess it kind of makes sense.

As for the other questions, the apartments have the exact same amenities and I don't have pets or anything.

Mai-Kero on
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ground floor apartments are pretty much universally cheaper than upper floor apartments.

You can ask them about the price difference, but there's no guarantee they'll give it to you. Rental places frequently have different prices on different apartments for a variety of reasons. Or maybe they're just currently running a special (or an online-only special) to knock $15/month off the rent for new applicants or something. It is very unlikely that there's anything illegal going on with it.

Daenris on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ground floors are more likely to be broken into, worse off for heating, get less sunlight, worse off for street level noise etc. There's a whole host of reasons people don't like living on the ground floor.

Good for people that don't like stairs though.

Rook on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also, it's pretty common to offer lower rent to empty apartments than what you are asking current tenants for.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I live in a ground floor apartment that used to be the super's place. As such my rent is at least 25% cheaper than the other first floors and 50% less than anything floor 2 and above. I don't love the place but I do love paying less than $600 a month to live in a 2 bedroom right off the T in Boston. There's bars on the windows so I'm no more concerned about someone breaking in than I was when I was in a 4th floor apt.

VisionOfClarity on