As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help me run warhammer smoothly: a computer upgrade thread

AnansiAnansi Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
2.41 ghz
2.00 gb of ram
nvidia 7900 gt

I'm kinda out of the loop on this stuff now a days...

Is my graphics card too old or is my processor too slow?

Anansi on

• ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Can you be more specific in regards to the proccessor or ram? Or, better yet, go run->dxdiag and find option that'll let you get a copy of your system information. Than just paste up the relevant stuff.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What make/family processor is that? Core 2 Duo, Pentium 4, Athlon...?

Assuming it's a dual-core processor of some nature, RAM looks like your biggest bottleneck. That 7900GT isn't anything to write home about, but it should be holding its own at least.

That being said, as far as price-to-performance goes, this is a pretty awesome time to grab a Pentium E8400 and a Geforce 8800 Ultra, so if you're looking for someone's "blessing" before you upgrade, there, you have mine. ;)

wasted pixels on
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm just gonna attach my question to this thread.

I have a store bought HP. I can't quite remember the specs... but it has 4 gb ram and a... 2.5? dual-core pentium processor. It came with a crap Geforce 6500 card and I really wanna upgrade to something in the 8600 series. Do you think I'll need to buy a new fan when I upgrade?

Edited for retardedness.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I have a store bought HP. I can't quite remember the specs... but it has 4 gb ram and a... 2.5? dual-core pentium processor. It came with a crap Geforce 6500 card and I really wanna upgrade to something in the 6800 series. Do you think I'll need to buy a new fan when I upgrade?

I doubt it. Videocards already have their own fan and it's unlikely a new card is going to generate so much heat your current system can't take it. I've replaced a video card in my shitty dell and there were no heat-related issues, even though the upgrade was significant.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited September 2008

I have a store bought HP. I can't quite remember the specs... but it has 4 gb ram and a... 2.5? dual-core pentium processor. It came with a crap Geforce 6500 card and I really wanna upgrade to something in the 6800 series. Do you think I'll need to buy a new fan when I upgrade?

Just curious... why are you leaning toward the 6800? After rebates, you should be able to find an 8600GTS for around the same money.

Edit: Ah, I'm betting you're stuck on an AGP board, nevermind me.

wasted pixels on
    edited September 2008

Just curious... why are you leaning toward the 6800? After rebates, you should be able to find an 8600GTS for around the same money.

Ah crap. I meant 8600. My fingers are dyslexic.

Richard_Dastardly on
    edited September 2008

In that case, you'll be fine -- most 8600s run pretty cool and pretty quiet on their stock fans.

wasted pixels on
  • .kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

In that case, you'll be fine -- most 8600s run pretty cool and pretty quiet on their stock fans.

Don't get an 8600. A 9600 or 8800gt are not much more and you will get WAY more out of them.

.kbf? on
    edited September 2008
    Would I need a new fan for either the 9600 or the 8800?

OP: Sorry to hijack the thread.

Richard_Dastardly on
    edited September 2008

Nope. Theres not a desktop video card in existence that isn't sufficiently cooled (under normal conditions) by the stock cooling.

.kbf? on
    edited September 2008
    .kbf? wrote: »

Nope. Theres not a desktop video card in existence that isn't sufficiently cooled (under normal conditions) by the stock cooling.

You WILL need a new PSU, though, HP's 400w, no-name power supplies aren't up to the job. You'll also want to open up your case and measure the space around the PCIe slot, because the 8800 is about the size of an aircraft carrier, and won't fit in some off-the-shelf systems.

wasted pixels on
  • AnansiAnansi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

System Information
    Time of this report: 9/30/2008, 12:56:04
    Machine name: WASD
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: System Product Name
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Page File: 392MB used, 3547MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT/GTO
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 7900 GT/GTO
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0291&SUBSYS_34241458&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 256.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0011.7519 (English)

Anansi on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The processor is what is holding you back the ram is a little short for a new mmo like this but its not terrible your card is ok as well. Unfortuantly I don't know to much about the sockets on AMD stuff im not sure if you could get one of the newer processors.

Also for the other dude don't get an 8600 any type...at least an 8800gt I have seen them for like a 100 bucks if your lucky

Dixon on
  • AnansiAnansi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    crap i'll probably need a new motherboard... any suggestions?

Anansi on
  • spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I play warhammer on my laptop, which has an 8600. It gets really really hot. Like, if I play with my laptop on our kitchen table with the table cloth on it, it will melt the table cloth. literally. Not like, puddle of plastic melt. But more "If I don't move this laptop there will be holes in the table cloth" melt.

But it still runs the game just fine, and it's the laptop version of the video card. When I'm going into a new area sometimes I'll have to turn the game settings down. But I can usually play on "balanced" and sometimes "High Quality" settings without catching the dining room table on fire.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Dixon wrote: »
    Also for the other dude don't get an 8600 any type...at least an 8800gt I have seen them for like a 100 bucks if your lucky

The going price for most anything in the 8800 line is around $150 to $200, and you can catch an 8600 for significantly less. The 8800 is certainly a superior card, but it also costs twice as much.

Edit: No, you probably don't need a new motherboard, Anansi. You may want to find your motherboard specs to be sure, but an Athlon 64 4000+ SHOULD be a Socket AM2 chip. Swap in a (retail box) Athlon 64 X2 6000+ ($100 on Tiger Direct) and fan, and you should be good to go.

wasted pixels on
  • CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anansi wrote: »
    crap i'll probably need a new motherboard... any suggestions?

I upgraded my PC last weekend for Warhammer.

This is what i bought:

Asus P5QL-Pro motherboard
    Intel E8500 Core 2 Duo
    4gb ram*
    nvidia 9600GT 512mb

All other components (hd, dvd, case, power supply) were salvaged from my old computer. My power supply was quite good though, if yours isnt you may want to upgrade that as well. *4gb of ram, i'm not running a 64bit OS so i actually only get 3.5g, however i went for 4 because i'll upgrade OS at some point in the future anyway.

How does it perform? 1920x1200 res, maxed everything, forced 4xAA and AF, runs smoothly everywhere. Even in a keep raid it held up fine, a little slower but still better than my old rig (which was similar to yours) even under the best of conditions. Its fantastic, like playing a different game.

For reference, i actually tried just replacing the graphics card first (got that about 2 weeks ago), and it didnt make much difference at all. The processor, i believe, made the bulk of the difference.

Cryogen on
    edited October 2008

The going price for most anything in the 8800 line is around $150 to $200, and you can catch an 8600 for significantly less. The 8800 is certainly a superior card, but it also costs twice as much.

Edit: No, you probably don't need a new motherboard, Anansi. You may want to find your motherboard specs to be sure, but an Athlon 64 4000+ SHOULD be a Socket AM2 chip. Swap in a (retail box) Athlon 64 X2 6000+ ($100 on Tiger Direct) and fan, and you should be good to go.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=33091&vpn=512%2DP3%2DN971%2DTR&manufacture=eVGA

There is a 9800gt for 142 with an extra 20 rebate. That equals 122 and that is cdn so it would moe like 115 american. That is for a 9800gt as well. You could shop around and find an 8800gt for cheaper. You can get a 8800gts 512mb (good version) from EVGA for 100 it is refub and only got 6 month warratny I think but thats a good card

Here is a 9600gt for 140 with a 40 rebate
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3763161&sku=G458-9602

Dixon on
    edited October 2008

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=33091&vpn=512%2DP3%2DN971%2DTR&manufacture=eVGA

There is a 9800gt for 142 with an extra 20 rebate. That equals 122 and that is cdn so it would moe like 115 american. That is for a 9800gt as well. You could shop around and find an 8800gt for cheaper. You can get a 8800gts 512mb (good version) from EVGA for 100 it is refub and only got 6 month warratny I think but thats a good card

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3763161&sku=G458-9602

Right, and here's an 8600 for $50 after rebates.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3041060&CatId=1560

So yeah... less than half as much.

wasted pixels on
    edited October 2008

Right, and here's an 8600 for $50 after rebates.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3041060&CatId=1560

So yeah... less than half as much.

For a quarter of the performance. Seriously don't get an 8600.

.kbf? on
    edited October 2008

This is why I (and I'm sure a lot of other people) don't use H/A for computer advice, and it's not a good thing. The dude has obviously decided that the 8600 is adequate for his needs (and it is, for everyone but an enthusiast gamer), but he's getting his arm twisted into spending 200% more on something much bigger and more powerful than he probably even needs.

Normal people do not have $200 to spend on a graphics card. An 8600 will run 98% of games currently on the market just fine, up to and including Crysis and Warhammer. An 8600GTS will run them pretty damn well.

wasted pixels on
    edited October 2008

This is why I (and I'm sure a lot of other people) don't use H/A for computer advice, and it's not a good thing. The dude has obviously decided that the 8600 is adequate for his needs (and it is, for everyone but an enthusiast gamer), but he's getting his arm twisted into spending 200% more on something much bigger and more powerful than he probably even needs.

Normal people do not have $200 to spend on a graphics card. An 8600 will run 98% of games currently on the market just fine, up to and including Crysis and Warhammer. An 8600GTS will run them pretty damn well.

First of all the 8600 is a bad bad card.

THE CARD HE HAS NOW IS EQUAL TO THE 8600. So you basically are telling him not to upgrade is computer but instead throw perfectly good money off a bridge. Thats really great advise there buddy.

.kbf? on
    edited October 2008

Ok...I think you're forgetting he is not stepping up from some shitty card. A 7900gto is pretty hefty and is acutally more powerful then the 8600gt not sure about the gts version but it is super close...so it doesn't make any sense to buy that card no for performance reasons and not economically.
    An 8600 won't run crysis very well either, maybe on all low-med settigns with a low FPS.

The 8800gt would be your best bet right now for about $100, maybe more. You'll gain a sunstantial performance boost with out destroying the bank. No one here even suggested spending $200.

EDIT: KPF beat me to it...but yeah the 8600 would be a stupid ass choice

Dixon on
    edited October 2008
    ...for Richard, who has a 6500? Are you guys even following the quote tree here before biting my head off?

wasted pixels on
    edited October 2008
    ...for Richard, who has a 6500? Are you guys even following the quote tree here before biting my head off?

The point still stands. Buy and 8600 now only means he will be forced to upgrade when the next line of games comes out meaning he actually loses money by skimping now. So by buying a better card now you can enjoy the performance gains you wouldn't have had otherwise and save money.

.kbf? on
    edited October 2008

The point still stands. Buy and 8600 now only means he will be forced to upgrade when the next line of games comes out meaning he actually loses money by skimping now. So by buying a better card now you can enjoy the performance gains you wouldn't have had otherwise and save money.

Or he could buy an 8800 then, when they, too, will be down to $50 after rebates.

EDIT: This argument is now about as long as the original conversation, and it's putting me in a foul mood, so I'm bowing out. I maintain that there's nothing wrong with picking up a card that plays everything on the market right now for a third the cost of what you want him to get, but if nothing else, at least this thread has reminded me to take PC help on H/A with a grain of salt. :P

wasted pixels on
    edited October 2008

Or he could buy an 8800 then, when they, too, will be down to $50 after rebates.

EDIT: This argument is now about as long as the original conversation, and it's putting me in a foul mood, so I'm bowing out. I maintain that there's nothing wrong with picking up a card that plays everything on the market right now for a third the cost of what you want him to get, but if nothing else, at least this thread has reminded me to take PC help on H/A with a grain of salt. :P

The only reason the 8600 is so cheap is because it's a bad card. The 8800 series on the other hand, is not.

Edit: I could seriously do without you calling everyone else in this thread idiotic. If you have a different opinion thats fine. Give the advisee your reasons and leave it at that(People on H/A are computer illiterate is not an argument). I'm sure he can figure out for himself the right thing for him to do.

.kbf? on