As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR]: White Cloaks are the New Black

MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock EngineerSeattleRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
WARHAMMER ONLINE: AGE OF RECKONING

Penny Arcade currently has a number of guilds:

Candymancers on Order, an organization of Holy Servants of Sigmar, short drunken men and Wise, Ancient Masters of War. ON AVERHEIM
The Six Mouths on Destruction, a useless mob of ne'er-do-wells and vile miscreants. ON ULTHUAN

/who candymancers or /who the six mouths to find a member and ask to join or /chan candymancers or /chan TSM and a guild representative will be right with you!

Obsidian Spur: an EU Destruction guild on Karak Eight Peaks.

Limed for European awesomeness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKOhzfkCdbY
That should be all we need in way of introduction, at this point.

Information and Random Cool Stuff

For more information, watch the podcasts.

For PA impressions, and whatnot, check out the WAR FAQ thread.

Great webpage with Maps.

Adding this by request, and because it's generally kickass and useful.
Akira wrote: »
Alright since this seems to bring up a lot of questions I have compiled an FAQ and location guide for the first two tiers of Renown gear.

Renown Gear and You: What is it and where do I get it?

"Renown Gear" is armor and weapons you can buy from certain vendors that has both a level and Renown rank requirement, usually the Renown rank requirement is about 2/3rds of your actual level (so it would take level 9 and Renown rank 6 for example). Also, as of September 7th, some T2 Renown gear has the wrong stats (the Magus at least) and this will presumably be fixed in the future (hopefully soon). The 10/6 gear from the last preview weekend is gone, it was intended for use in an old test phase and was left in accidentally. Similar gear is available now from 11/7 to 16/11

Where to get it:

The first number refers to level requirement, the second is Renown rank requirement (i.e. 11/7 means you need level 11 and Renown rank 7). The "sets" aren't really sets and don't have bonuses or anything but they represent a loose tiering of gear. Common is "white" gear, Uncommon is "green" gear.

T1 Zones
the first "set" is sold in both the starter quest hub area and the Warcamp, while the second set is sold only at the Warcamp.

First "set"

2/1: Boots (Common)

3/2: Gloves and Accessory 1 (Common)

4/2: Belt, Accessory 2 and Weapon/Shield (Common)

5/3: Body and Accessory 3 (Common)

Second "set"

6/4: Boots (Uncommon)

7/4: Gloves and Accessory 1 (Uncommon)

8/5: Belt, Accessory 2 and Weapon/Shield (Uncommon)

9/6: Body and Accessory 3 (Uncommon)

T2 Zones
bought at the top floor of PvP area Keeps.

First "set"

11/7: Boots (Uncommon)

12/8: Gloves and Belt (Uncommon)

13/9: Shoulders and Accessory 1 (Uncommon)

14/9: Body, Accessory 2 and Weapon/Shield (Uncommon)

15/10: Accessory 3 (Uncommon)

16/11: Helm (Common)

Second "set"

16/11: Boots (Uncommon)

17/11: Gloves and Belt(Uncommon)

18/12: Shoulder and Accessory 1(Uncommon)

19/13: Helm, Accessory 2 and Weapon/Shield (Uncommon)

20/14: Body and Accessory 3 (Uncommon)

21/14: Cloak (Common)

NERD STUFF

Start here for Warhammer Lore

A guide to Warhammer books
And now for something completely different...
bearded-gobbo.jpg

snm_sig.jpg
Morskittar on

• WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Morskittar, will you have my babies?
    (finally got the money to get this. Waaaagh and whatnot!)

also, Mors, check your PM's? Pretty please?

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I agree wholeheartedly with the thought that WoW made PvP not be about who is winning, but about how well you're earning points. I miss the "no PvP reward" days of WoW when we fought because, by golly, you're an orc and I'm an elf and we just can't have tea parties. Eat arrow, greenskin!

I hope that eventually keep taking mostly becomes about being goddamned proud that your guild colors are flying across the area, and all the guards wear your guild tag.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Warhammer is maor liek Warcrafthammer of the Rings.

I said it so no one else has to.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So...any stealth blorc fixes in today's patch?

Toothy on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Blorc Stealth fix: Now working as intended, makes the Blorc invisible for 20 seconds.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    * Black Orc: Made Da Toughest slightly less zomgwtfbbq.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited October 2008
    Swordmasters now do a gabillion DPS, but have had their frilly dresses replaced by leather skirts. While this may be a balance issue, we expect that even fewer players will choose to roll a swordmaster, thus resulting in no problems.

Umarth immediately becomes top swordmaster on the server, having already resigned himself to elf dresses years ago.

Darkewolfe on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyone else having massive lag issues with no apparent cause?

My computer is more than beefy enough, my connection is more than fast enough but I'm always like 5 seconds behind the server in scenarios. Well that or disconnecting.

Oats on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sorry but even without standards Destruction always reaches the bauble first in Tor Anroc.

Even without pounce I've seen white lions (presumably specced a different path) run the shortest possible path from our spawn and use both their movement buffs and they still are barely cresting the caldera as a marauder grabs the bauble. Most of our team is barely at the base of the caldera before it gets grabbed.

Its simply shorter for destruction.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Rosie And JimRosie And Jim Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Toothy wrote: »
    So...any stealth blorc fixes in today's patch?

Oi I'm Sneekin' Up!: The Black Orc covers himself in gaudy and clashing colors and moves "real kwiet loik" for 45 seconds. Reduces movement speed by 75% and melee and ranged attackers suffer an 85% chance to be forced to avert their cameras.

Rosie And Jim on
    And when the radio stars climbed up out of the floors to murder the medium that shot 'em 30 years before they said... Kill! Television! Kill! Television! Kill! Television!
    Armory XBL: ShaneJones004
    edited October 2008
    Oats wrote: »
    Anyone else having massive lag issues with no apparent cause?

My computer is more than beefy enough, my connection is more than fast enough but I'm always like 5 seconds behind the server in scenarios. Well that or disconnecting.

This was a known issue that supposedly they corrected.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • king_sleepking_sleep Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i've been getting those, i cannot play the game like this. Seriously playing a scenario or even pveing is ridiculous. Bah, waitng for a patch for the patch .

king_sleep on
    3DS Friend Code:4596-9457-3563
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can't wait to get home and see if scenarios are less lag-tastically bad than they were last night. God it was awful, I would do my 3s targeted aoe and it wouldn't go off until five seconds after the bar filled and everyone had spread out anyway :x

Ledneh on
  • belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    fancy elves and their uppity-ness.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    is it really that bad? Is it still happening?

Rend on
  • WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I agree wholeheartedly with the thought that WoW made PvP not be about who is winning, but about how well you're earning points. I miss the "no PvP reward" days of WoW when we fought because, by golly, you're an orc and I'm an elf and we just can't have tea parties. Eat arrow, greenskin!

I hope that eventually keep taking mostly becomes about being goddamned proud that your guild colors are flying across the area, and all the guards wear your guild tag.

it probably all depends on how much people want to "get into" the game itself. If folks are wanting to play for the social aspect, they'll probably just go along with whatever the others do, to which I hope they have a good experience in the encounters or else it could turn them off for good. On the other hand, if you have people who want to progress their guild, alliance, or faction of the war; those are the people you'll find on the front lines trying to lead the push. In WoW, there was no real reason for those people in pvp because there wasn't anything to fight over except who-can-gank-who the most. Sure, they added arenas later on... but come on, that was mostly just proving you had the bigger "weapon" than the other guys. It was more of an individual accomplishment rather than a representation of your associations (again; guild, alliance, and/or faction).

I think this is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to, and enjoying, the pvp/rvr in WAR. There's an actual "point" to fighting even in scenarios which give points to your realm, instead of just trying to ruin someone's day. Some of the best pvp I ever fought in WoW were small surgical-strike teams into the Undercity to take on Sylvanas (probably spelled it wrong). We failed, but it was fun when the Horde figured out what we were doing. Here in WAR, there are individual bosses to engage in each of the keeps, various other areas to capture and/or defend, etc. Even if you only want to participate in rvr, there are various things you can do that can actually bolster your side in the conflict. It's not just about what you can do as an individual, but what you can bring to the WAR as a whole.

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It gets pretty bad for me too, I'll lag for about 2-3 seconds and boom, I'm blown up.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    is this a game i should buy or a game for magets?

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Should buy.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited October 2008
    BEAST! wrote: »
    is this a game i should buy or a game for magets?

I advise against letting magnets play, as they might damage some of your hardware.

Darkewolfe on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You're a maget if you don't buy it.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What's it like? I hear you can
    pop up on the moon.

I have a minor phobia of space, but I'm curious.
    Can you see Morrslieb? Is it scary as fuck?
    How do you get back?

I didn't get the chance to reply to this before, but yes, yes you can. I didn't think it was scary, and it will automatically port you back to the IC after about 10 seconds.

If anyone was curious about the Winds of Chaos portal in the IC, here are the warps I've gotten so far:
    1. The Moon
    2. Frozen Crater (w/ a Frozen Sword Master and Foes)
    3. Two Islands (w/ a little Sand Castle)
    4. An Area From Dark Age of Camelot (In front of Cameolt. - Thanks GnomeTank)
    5. Misty Mountain Surrounded by Air Ships (in a Dark Elf ship)
    6. Misty Mountain Surrounded by Air Ships (on the mountain in a large bird's nest)
    7. Tiny Empire Village (rawr, you are Godzilla)

I've got pictures of all of these areas expect the tiny village that I may share later when I'm not stuck at work.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited October 2008
    The DAoC area is the front of Camelot.

GnomeTank on
    edited October 2008
    Wait,where are those "winds of chaos"???

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you announce to several zones that you are forming a warband to take keeps, they will join you. Everyone loves a good bandwagon, especially if it leads to Keep Lord Treasure chests. People also love a good meatgrinder.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Klyka wrote: »

You have to eat the quest item "chaos burrito"

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    hazywater wrote: »
    If you announce to several zones that you are forming a warband to take keeps, they will join you. Everyone loves a good bandwagon, especially if it leads to Keep Lord Treasure chests. People also love a good meatgrinder.

As an aside, one of the reasons I don't complain about keep loot is that I've walked into a siege just as the lord died. Like literally got one regular melee hit on him.

Then won a fucking gold bag.

With an Obliterator Carapace.

I ke-ke-ke'd then ran back to tier one where I sat around staring at the bag until level 19.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Thank you. Changed and credit given.
    There's a portal behind the giant arena in the IC that's reachable by jumping across the floating rocks. There are some other Easter Eggs leading up to it as well, like a Dread Sentry poking a man who is holding on the the edge of a floating rock with his sword.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • AeonfellAeonfell Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My lag seems down in Tor Anroc...

But Destro still gets it instantly every time, even if I perfectly sprint I pop on the mountain face first into like 5 destro, just, y'know, volcano chillin'.

I'm pissed no visable helmet fix, though.... MY ELF-CONE SHAMES ME. (but is getting slowly cooler)

Also, make sure you dudes fix your tab targetting to "cycle target". It's the supposed improved version, and seems ok so far... it's nowhere near the other targetting binds, it's up top.

Aeonfell on
  • RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aeonfell wrote: »

But Destro still gets it instantly every time, even if I perfectly sprint I pop on the mountain face first into like 5 destro, just, y'know, volcano chillin'.

I'm pissed no visable helmet fix, though.... MY ELF-CONE SHAMES ME. (but is getting slowly cooler)

Do you have a second person in the game with you that has a standard out, and are you sprinting exactly 10 seconds before you reach the bauble (not earlier)?

If one or both of those are not true, then you're not doing it right.

Ryokaze on
  • AeonfellAeonfell Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've seen Destro with standards beat us there. Usually, not. Unless they're hiding that shit in a squig.

Aeonfell on
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ryokaze wrote: »
    Aeonfell wrote: »

Do you have a second person in the game with you that has a standard out, and are you sprinting exactly 10 seconds before you reach the bauble (not earlier)?

If one or both of those are not true, then you're not doing it right.

What difference does it make if you sprint early or late?

Other than having a standard anyway... With a standard I can understand, but without... ?

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fig-D wrote: »
    What's it like? I hear you can
    pop up on the moon.

I have a minor phobia of space, but I'm curious.
    Can you see Morrslieb? Is it scary as fuck?
    How do you get back?

I didn't get the chance to reply to this before, but yes, yes you can. I didn't think it was scary, and it will automatically port you back to the IC after about 10 seconds.

If anyone was curious about the Winds of Chaos portal in the IC, here are the warps I've gotten so far:
    1. The Moon
    2. Frozen Crater (w/ a Frozen Sword Master and Foes)
    3. Two Islands (w/ a little Sand Castle)
    4. An Area From Dark Age of Camelot (In front of Cameolt. - Thanks GnomeTank)
    5. Misty Mountain Surrounded by Air Ships (in a Dark Elf ship)
    6. Misty Mountain Surrounded by Air Ships (on the mountain in a large bird's nest)
    7. Tiny Empire Village (rawr, you are Godzilla)

I've got pictures of all of these areas expect the tiny village that I may share later when I'm not stuck at work.
    http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Winds_of_Chaos

there is the list...and the DAoC place is specifically Cotswold, starting town for Albion, right in front of Camelot

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    edited October 2008
    How we do it is we have our standard bitch whip it out well before the game starts, have everybody toe up to the invisible lololyougotportedback line, and then wait for the ground to shake to start running. Once we're past the drop off, the standard bearer begins stowing the standard so he's ready to fight by the time we get to the bauble. Once we're at the bottom of the hill past the first pillar, everybody pops sprint so that the effect ends just before we get to the bauble.

That's the optimum sequence of events to get there as fast as possible, which, as you'll note, means that the opposing side will never see your standard. What a lot of people don't realize is that if you have a standard, and you sprint as soon as the game starts, you lose a lot of speed because you'll easily outdistance your standard bearer, so you sprint for 10 seconds, then run normal speed the rest of the way.

This way you'll have the 25% boost from the standard for as long as possible, and still get full benefit from sprint.

Ryokaze on
    edited October 2008
    There's a portal behind the giant arena in the IC that's reachable by jumping across the floating rocks. There are some other Easter Eggs leading up to it as well, like a Dread Sentry poking a man who is holding on the the edge of a floating rock with his sword.

By the way, why is IC so much INFINITELY COOLER than Altdorf?

Darkewolfe on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hmmm... all kinds of yummy fixes in 1.01. I will have to fire up the Herder to see if the pet stuff actually fixed anything.

But of course, people are still be irrational and screaming that they didn't fix enough. Some people just like to complain.

The funniest (over on WHA) was a guy crying because Mythic didn't fix his "critical error" problem. When his problem is very obviously on his machine (game crashes when trying to show the opening vid), he just can't figure out how to fix it.

And is it bad that I won a blue bag in a PQ yesterday... but took the green item? I didn't want the blue thing, but the green thing was a nice upgrade.

Selner on
    edited October 2008
    Selner wrote: »
    And is it bad that I won a blue bag in a PQ yesterday... but took the green item? I didn't want the blue thing, but the green thing was a nice upgrade.

Itemization for upper levels (at least for clothies) is complete balls right now, greens are better than purples, up is down, cats are befriending dogs, it's crazy out there!

Ryokaze on
  • ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Accualt wrote:
    I hope they add a "Queue for All Scenarios" option to the window. I imagine most people would just click that and therefore we'd get more pops AND more variety.

There's a mod that does that.

Screamline on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Itemization for upper levels (at least for clothies) is complete balls right now, greens are better than purples, up is down, cats are befriending dogs, it's crazy out there!

Well, I'm only lvl12.
    But I'm using a lvl7 Staff (one of those broken staves that I repaired) that has +27 Int on it as my Waaagh!/PvE staff. I've got a +30 Will for my Healing/RvR staff.

The blue staff in the blue bag was only like +18 int, +10 init and +something willpower.
    I don't think I really care about the +10 init. Unless I'm wrong there.

Selner on
    edited October 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

By the way, why is IC so much INFINITELY COOLER than Altdorf?

Cause it's inevitable.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.