As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Week - Harvest Edition (10/1/08)

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I also really enjoyed No Hero this week

Sars_Boy on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    it is literally the worst thing DC has ever published

well, next to Identity Crisis

I thought Identity Crisis was suppose to be really good

Dr. Light the rapist.

Footprints on her brain.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2008
    I wish Ambush Bug: Year None was canon. It retcons Identity Crisis so
    Jean's motivation to kill comes from Bug telling her that Sue said she was "too career driven to satisfy the needs of [her] man."
    Ambush Bug: Year None is pretty disappointing imo

but that part was pretty funny

the parts that make fun of the DCU are great

the parts that do weird stuff (the marriage thing, Go Go Chex) fall flat for me

Garlic Bread on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wait was the actual identity of the Black Glove revealed?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This was a really slow week

So far out of what I've read I think Batman was the most holy-shit-awesome and No Hero wasn't bad either. Definitely left me wanting more.

Mai-Kero on
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    wait was the actual identity of the Black Glove revealed?
    mmmmmaybe

we won't really know till next month

Sars_Boy on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Oh god Joker holy shit so creepy
    damn yeah

this weeks Batman was awesome if a bit predictable
    although I guess Morrison said that it was right in front of our faces and he was suprised at all the outlandish proposals about the Black Glove
    Elaboration?

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited October 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Oh god Joker holy shit so creepy
    damn yeah

this weeks Batman was awesome if a bit predictable
    although I guess Morrison said that it was right in front of our faces and he was suprised at all the outlandish proposals about the Black Glove
    Elaboration?
    BIG allusion to it being Jezebel, but she might just be another pawn in his game

Sars_Boy on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I love the Joker.

DO YOU GET IT YET?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    that is only the smallest part of what I cannot fucking stand about this book

it is literally the worst thing DC has ever published

well, next to Identity Crisis

Followup: I e-mailed Sean McKeever stating my intention to never buy another of his books again, or otherwise support his writing, as well as praise for his Marvel work, and criticism for everything he's done at DC, and he sent me back a message which, given the circumstances, was pretty polite.
    Hi, Colt.

I strongly disagree with you about the quality of my writing, but you're
    certainly welcome to your opinion.

For what it's worth, I was a huge fan of Arcudi's Doom Patrol and was
    ramping up to having Fever eventually join the Teen Titans. But at the end
    of the day, I'm merely a freelancer and don't get to make all the decisions.

Anyway, do what you will.

-Sean

I have a hard time seeing how a character makes the jump from, "eventually join[ing] the Teen Titans," to having their brains splattered across the floor. Really, is there just some vindictive editor that, upon seeing an obscure character is still active, decides, "Oh man, we gotta kill that one," the writer's protests be damned?

So did you email him back saying that? I want to know if he has more to share on how the decision came to be

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited October 2008
    I am thinking about bringing my copy of Gravity to a DC Panel and just asking him "What did you do to the real Sean McKeever and why do you hate superheroes so much."

Sars_Boy on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I actually e-mailed back to apologize for being kind of a dick with a few of my comments in the first e-mail, but yeah, I tacked that question on at the end. Because it honestly baffles me.

I don't imagine McKeever would be too anxious to speak out against his boss(es) though, so I don't expect him to really get into it, if he even bothers to reply again.

edit: Does anyone read the funnies in the paper anymore? I read Funky Winkerbean at work, which Sean McKeever was ghost-writing a while back. I don't know if he still is, but there was recently a storyline where a young, successful comic writer that was Marvel-exclusive went to work for DC, only to be stricken with sudden, crippling writer's block.

Hmmmm.

Munch on
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Batman:
    Break, Bruce! BREAK, damn you!

Is it depraved that I actually want to see him lose this fucked up game of psychological warfare? It's like watching someone torture a sim...I want to see just how far they can take it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    edited October 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    I actually e-mailed back to apologize for being kind of a dick with a few of my comments in the first e-mail, but yeah, I tacked that question on at the end. Because it honestly baffles me.

I don't imagine McKeever would be too anxious to speak out against his boss(es) though, so I don't expect him to really get into it, if he even bothers to reply again.

edit: Does anyone read the funnies in the paper anymore? I read Funky Winkerbean at work, which Sean McKeever was ghost-writing a while back. I don't know if he still is, but there was recently a storyline where a young, successful comic writer that was Marvel-exclusive went to work for DC, only to be stricken with sudden, crippling writer's block.

Hmmmm.
    haha seriously?

Sars_Boy on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    sars

why did you even buy Terror Titans?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I don't see how anyone could think that comic wasn't going to suck. They solicited it as "a journey into the darkest, coldest and most brutal corners of the teen psyche!"
    That sounds awesome!!!

DMAC on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DMAC wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't see how anyone could think that comic wasn't going to suck. They solicited it as "a journey into the darkest, coldest and most brutal corners of the teen psyche!"
    That sounds awesome!!!
    It's like none of them were ever actually teenagers.

Fencingsax on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am thinking about bringing my copy of Gravity to a DC Panel and just asking him "What did you do to the real Sean McKeever and why do you hate superheroes so much."

Bring him Sentinel as well. That one was good too.

noir_blood on
    edited October 2008
    sars

why did you even buy Terror Titans?
    I didn't

Sars_Boy on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    that's even worse

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »

Bring him Sentinel as well. That one was good too.

And Spider-Man Loves Mary-Jane. McKeever was great at Marvel.

Bogart on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Wait, No Hero came out? Holy shits.

Why was I not informed?

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    munch you should read this bit about Identity Crisis

it's awesome

I read this bit, and man, I don't remember having any such negative reaction to Identity Crisis when I was reading it. Admittedly, this was a while ago, and I didn't know much about the DCU at the time (so I guess I was the target demographic), but I don't remember having any problems even with the things mentioned in the above excerpt as being unrelated to comic book familiarity. Although, I am fairly oblivious, and don't always analyze what I'm reading, so I'd really only take issue with something if it was super-blatant. Maybe I should reread and see what I think about it now.

Also, that excerpt made me want to read the Bendis/Maleev Daredevil run.

Delduwath on
    edited October 2008
    everyone should read the Bendis/Maleev Daredevil run

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    On a scale of 1 to "Read Bone", where would you rate it?

Delduwath on
    edited October 2008
    It's my favorite Daredevil ever

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That run was pretty damn amazing. If you've ever thought Daredevil was even moderately interesting, you should read the whole thing.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Guys, you are so 2 years ago. The standard for terrible comics is now Countdown, remember?

Fencingsax on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've never liked McKeever ever and I knew he would make a terrible mess out of Teen Titans.

Personally, I think he has difficulty writing anything other than Disney-ish highschool teen soaps where kids act out a shallow parody of teenage life, filled with silliness and amnesia, where everyone is a stereotype and all that matters is who is cheating on who and will the shy, bookish boy ever date the cheerleader? Someone at DC thought that Teen Titans might be such a book.

McKeever should not be called upon to write anything of substance, even if it involves a group of teenage costumed heroes.

TeaSpoon on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Here's the thing. Had McKeever written Teen Titans as he had his previous teen-centric books, with kind of a light, adventurous air, with the drama and pathos derived from clashing personalities and nuanced interactions between characters, I'd have been all over it. Because I think that's what Teen Titans should be; a bunch of teens doing teenager things, fighting crime, and having fun doing so.

Writers don't have to create artificial drama through brutally murdering supporting characters, or some C-list nobodies languishing in limbo. There are a lot of TV shows, books, and movies that are able to tell emotional, rewarding stories that don't involve a bunch of murder. Hell, just look at Johns' run on Teen Titans. As much as I thought it was formulaic and derivative of Wolfman and Perez at times, people dug it. He made the book feel important and noteworthy without a body-count.

I think my problem is that I grew up reading comics in the 90's and early 00's, where books like Starman, Hourman, JLI/E, Hitman, Young Heroes in Love, Power Company, Young Justice, and others were built on character interaction and interpersonal drama. A lot of times, the best moments in these series weren't when the characters were engaged in high stakes battles with supervillains, but when they were just sitting around chatting with the rest of the cast.

Really, it should tell McKeever a lot that people who've been decrying his entire run on Titans so far, still enjoyed the done-in-one Red & Blue issue. Which was, of course, noticeably lighter and more fun than the rest of his issues.

Munch on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    My favorite teen book in recent years was the New X-Men period after House of M. They managed to balance a feeling of danger/expendability with humor and teen drama/soap opera elements. It's too bad it only lasted a couple of arcs before things fell apart.

DMAC on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    On Batman 680:

Yeeeesh

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
    edited October 2008
    My favorite teen book in recent years was the New X-Men period after House of M. They managed to balance a feeling of danger/expendability with humor and teen drama/soap opera elements. It's too bad it only lasted a couple of arcs before things fell apart.
    And it only really fell apart because of the decision to focus on Hellion.

Fencingsax on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2008
    They should get John Rogers on Teen Titans. He was pretty much doing that in Blue Beetle, except instead of the Titans it was Beetle and his family and friends.

Garlic Bread on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MotW: New Exiles (It's a light week)

When the team's version of Kitty Pryde drops the claws from an alternate reality Logan at AoA Creed's feet.

Crimsondude on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    New Exiles started off rough but it's actually not as bad as it could be.

I, however, didn't read the one that came before or whatever so I can't compare it's quality to that.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited October 2008
    i read too many comics last night too quickly while being too tired so i don't really remember what exactly went on in JLA.

I enjoyed Vixen's mini for what it was. The art was pretty (except the artist draws Superman's face weirdly). Since when do her hands and feet form that of the animal she's channeling? I'm not complaining (it looked cool), just wondering. It also doesn't vibe with Vixen's current power status (channeling metas instead of animals), but who cares. Although it felt a little short, but I can't say I was disappointed (I didn't really have high expectations).

Garlic Bread on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    New Exiles started off rough but it's actually not as bad as it could be.

I, however, didn't read the one that came before or whatever so I can't compare it's quality to that.

Well, Chris Claremont is the be-all end-all of comics to me. Uncanny was my first and favorite. And quite frankly, it may or may not be a coincidence that I write like him--complete with the unfortunate tendency to have a ton of backstory that is referenced but unwritten in the final product and unknown to the readers, which annoys a lot of people.

Crimsondude on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    "You jumped on him from four stories up. What did you think was going to happen?"

Man, maybe I'm misremembering what happened, but wasn't it just after HoM when everyone was fucking dieing every issue? I dropped the book because between the constant, pointless main character deaths and godawful villians (I really hate the Purifiers.) it was just no fun anymore.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Did anyone else really enjoy JLA this week? It was full of metafictional stuff about the power of stories, and stuff still actually happened!

JoeUser on