As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Official Veep Debate Thread: FULL DEBATE VIDEO IN FIRST POST

necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited October 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Full Debate on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89FbCPzAsRA

WARNING: The rules for the first Presidential Debate thread apply here as well. This is the only warning you'll get about not filling this thread with stuff unrelated to the debate. And I don't mean tangentially related stuff is OK. This is a debate commentary thread, so don't fill it with commentary about how Palin blows moose and Biden's USRDA of his own feet exceeds 9000 before it starts.

Time: 9:00 EDT / 8:00 PM CDT

Moderator: Gwen Ifill

Webstream: You go find it.

Now, the most important part: Rules for the Vice-Presidential Debate Drinking Game
  • Palin Words: Maverick, Small Town, Hockey Mom, Russia, Drill, Reformer, Earmark, Blessed, Outsider, Pitbull
  • Biden words: dangerous, half-truth, out-and-out, lack of, respect(fully), malarky, literally
  • Social: change, terrorism, Washington
  • If you understood Palin's answer without rewinding your DVR eight times to get through the crazy-ass dense double-speak, give yourself a pat on the back and finish your drink.
  • If Palin's answer appears to actually be on-topic, thank the lord and finish your drink.
  • Whenever Biden makes Palin cry, shotgun a beer.
  • If Biden's face gets more red than a Budweiser label, shotgun a beer
*Partial credit given to Burtletoy

necroSYS on

• necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    This is pretty cool. Op Ed questions for the Veep Candidates. Small chance any of these will actually be asked by Ifill, though.

Questions for the Next Vice President

By CRAIG FULLER, ANDREW SULLIVAN, RADLEY BALKO, MIKE DOOGAN, JEFFREY GOLDBERG, JACK F. MATLOCK Jr. , GENE HEALY, PETER MAASS, PETER W. GALBRAITH, ERIC WASSERSTROM, and RACHEL KLEINFELD
    Tonight, Senator Joe Biden of Delaware and Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska will meet in the one and only vice presidential debate of the 2008 campaign. The Op-Ed editors asked people with knowledge of the vice presidency, the candidates and their records to suggest questions they’d like to hear answered from the stage at Washington University in St. Louis this evening.
    • It is 9 a.m., and the president is traveling abroad. A terrorist attack on the United States occurs. You have 10 minutes to prepare to move to the now famous bunker at the White House to deal with the incident. Whom will you take with you into the bunker? And, once there, what do you do in the first hour?
    • You hear all the arguments presented to the president concerning a decision he must make regarding spending for a major national program. The recommendation from the cabinet and staff is clear, but you disagree with them strongly. How and where do you express yourself, assuming you elect to share your views with the president?

— CRAIG FULLER, the chief of staff for Vice President George H. W. Bush from 1985 to 1988

• Senator Biden, do you believe that continued withdrawal of American troops from Iraq will lead to a newly ignited civil war?
    • Governor Palin, since you were selected as a vice presidential candidate, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has given more press conferences to American reporters than you have. Why do you have less confidence in the American press and people than the president of Iran does? And when will you dare to face the press for real?

— ANDREW SULLIVAN, a blogger for The Atlantic and the author of “The Conservative Soul”

• Senator Biden, you’ve been one of the Senate’s most ardent drug warriors. You helped create the office of “drug czar”; backed our failed eradication efforts in South America; encouraged the government to seize the assets of people merely suspected of drug crimes; pushed for the expanded use of racketeering and conspiracy laws against drug offenders; advocated the use of the military to fight the drug war; and sponsored a bill that holds venue owners and promoters criminally liable for drug use by people attending concerts and events.

Today, illicit drugs are as cheap and abundant as they were decades ago. Would you agree that the anti-drug policies you’ve championed have failed? If not, how have they succeeded?

— RADLEY BALKO, a senior editor at Reason magazine

• As governor of Alaska, you have worked with Democrats like me to achieve goals we both shared. Since becoming the vice presidential nominee of the Republican Party, you’ve done nothing but ridicule Democrats and our goals. How do you expect to be able to get help from Democrats — either as governor or as vice president — after your performance on the campaign trail?

— MIKE DOOGAN, a member of the Alaska House of Representatives, a former columnist for The Anchorage Daily News and the author of the novel “Skeleton Lake”

• Senator Biden, you told me once that, shortly before the 2004 election, you advised John Kerry to respond harshly to a new Osama bin Laden videotape. You described the conversation this way: “I’m on the phone, I e-mail, I say, ‘John, please, say three things’: ‘How dare bin Laden speak of our president this way.’ No. 2, ‘I know how to deal with preventing another 9/11.’ No. 3, ‘Kill him.’” You then threw up your hands in disgust and said of Senator Kerry, “He didn’t make any of it. Let’s get it straight. None of it.”

This story was entertaining, but it wasn’t strictly accurate. It turned out that you did not, in fact, even speak with Senator Kerry until well after he had issued a vigorous denunciation of bin Laden. This episode is one of several in which you have appeared to exaggerate your importance. Recently, you spoke of being “shot at” in Iraq. This, too, turned out to be false. Why should voters trust you, after you have made so many provably embroidered assertions?

— JEFFREY GOLDBERG, a national correspondent for The Atlantic and the author of “Prisoners: A Story of Friendship and Terror”

• Russia and the United States possess about 95 percent of the world’s nuclear weapons. Governor Palin, do you favor negotiations that would continue reducing their numbers when our current agreements expire? If so, would you favor agreements that are subject to strict verification, like those negotiated by Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush during the cold war, or agreements without verification, like the one signed by Presidents Bush and Vladimir Putin?
    • Senator Biden, Russia has objected to the plan by the United States to station missile interceptors in Poland and associated radars in the Czech Republic and has offered instead to participate in a joint program of missile defense. Bearing in mind that Russian territory provides ideal locations for defenses against countries like North Korea and Iran, would you support a joint program instead of the one now planned?

— JACK F. MATLOCK Jr.., the ambassador to the Soviet Union from 1987 to 1991 and the author of “Reagan and Gorbachev: How the Cold War Ended”

• The claim by Dick Cheney that he was exempt from certain disclosure requirements because the vice president was a “legislative officer” has been greeted with outrage. But the main power the Constitution grants the vice president is a legislative one — breaking a tie vote in the Senate.

So, Governor Palin, Senator Biden, doesn’t Mr. Cheney have a point?

But, then, if the vice president is a legislative officer, how can he wield the vast executive powers that Mr. Cheney has exercised, including orchestrating and supervising a warrantless wiretapping program?

Can the vice president shift between branches at his convenience? If not, what, in your view, is the constitutional status of the vice presidency?

— GENE HEALY, the author of “The Cult of the Presidency: America’s Dangerous Devotion to Executive Power”

• Governor Palin, in a February interview you told me that “energy is a cause of war.” You said, “I personalize it, realizing my oldest child, my son, is in the Army now. He’s going to be deployed in a matter of months.” You added, “We’re fighting over, in some sense, energy sources.”

Governor, could you describe how, in general, energy is a cause of war, and how, specifically, it is a cause of war in Iraq?

— PETER MAASS, a contributing writer for The New York Times Magazine and the author of “Love Thy Neighbor: A Story of War”

• The Shiite religious parties that are Iran’s closest allies in the Middle East dominate Iraq’s central government and its oil-rich south. Meanwhile, the Bush administration has helped the Sunni militia known as the Awakening to take control of Iraq’s Sunni center. The militia is led by Baathists, the very people we removed from power when we invaded Iraq in 2003. In Iraq’s north, the Kurds run what is effectively an independent state. Senator McCain has said, “Our goal is an Iraq that can stand on its own as a democratic ally and a responsible force for peace in its neighborhood.” Governor Palin, how can an Iraq dominated by pro-Iranian theocrats, Baathists and Kurdish separatists become a democratic ally?
    • Senator Biden, the United States began to win the battle against the Sunni extremist group Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia only last year when it enlisted the Awakening movement. Is it realistic to expect the Awakening to loyally serve a Shiite-led Iraqi government that many Sunnis see as an Iranian proxy? Or to expect that Iraq’s government will accept Sunni troops whom they believe are a Baathist fifth column?

You have espoused a plan for an Iraqi confederation in which Sunnis, Shiites and Kurds could have controlled their own security forces in separate self-governing regions. The Bush administration has created the Sunni army. Should we now encourage the Sunnis to form their own autonomous region, as allowed under Iraq’s Constitution, and make the Awakening the army of that region?

— PETER W. GALBRAITH, the author of “Unintended Consequences: How War in Iraq Strengthened America’s Enemies”

• Senator Biden, in 2005 you supported legislation that altered the bankruptcy code in favor of lenders (including credit card companies, many of which are based in your home state, Delaware) and made the terms for consumers seeking to declare personal bankruptcy more stringent. Are you as pro-consumer as the Obama campaign’s rhetoric suggests? Do you think the 2005 bankruptcy bill helped contribute to the unsustainable debt burden many consumers now face?

— ERIC WASSERSTROM, a managing director at a hedge fund

• Governor Palin, as we both know, Alaskans are a special breed. I grew up in Fairbanks, a few hundred miles north of Wasilla. I was proud to live on the frontier, far from civilization. Like many Alaskans, I lived in a log house on a dirt road, with no city water, sewer system or trash collection. We didn’t get much from our government, and we didn’t want much.

I love my frontier state, but the first thing I learned when I moved to the Lower 48 was how unlike the rest of the country Alaska is. How would you govern America when as mayor and governor, you hardly had to provide basic public services? In Wasilla, less than a tenth of the town is connected to the sewer system.

Alaska’s economy runs on oil proceeds — we don’t even pay income tax. And despite our disdain for Washington, we are given hundreds of millions of dollars from the federal government each year. How would you handle our financial crisis when you’ve never had to balance a budget while tax revenue fell?

— RACHEL KLEINFELD, the executive director of the Truman National Security Project. Read more from Rachel Kleinfeld on the Campaign Stops blog.

necroSYS on
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How would you govern America when as mayor and governor, you hardly had to provide basic public services?

hahahahah

it's funny because it's true

Veegeezee on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like a lot of those example questions, but not the ones that are just leading question ways of calling out either of them on their gaffes. That is what pundits and interviews on other news stations are for, not national debates.

Nocturne on
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    since when did anybody do any debating in one of these things?

Veegeezee on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Honestly I haven't heard Joe Bideon or Sarah Palin ever debate (I use the term loosely) someone so this should be fairly interesting.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Y'know who I look to when I want to know how America feels about the candidates? My parents. They've been steady barometers of candidate populism and they fall in the general area of mid-info voters (aka read newspaper, watch national news). They've been undecided for the good part of this year but after watching the Couric interviews they've pretty much stuck with Obama.

They're looking forward to this debate because they said "they need a good laugh". I'd like to think that the rest of America is doing the same.

reminderGTO on
    28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
  • GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm convinced that anyone that is watching these debates to see Sarah Palin fall apart will be sorely disappointed. Her answers will probably have zero actual content, but apparently she's damn good at the no-answer answer.

Glaeal on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
    edited October 2008
    If I could pick one of the questions from that list, it would be this one:
    The claim by Dick Cheney that he was exempt from certain disclosure requirements because the vice president was a “legislative officer” has been greeted with outrage. But the main power the Constitution grants the vice president is a legislative one — breaking a tie vote in the Senate.

But, then, if the vice president is a legislative officer, how can he wield the vast executive powers that Mr. Cheney has exercised, including orchestrating and supervising a warrantless wiretapping program?

Can the vice president shift between branches at his convenience? If not, what, in your view, is the constitutional status of the vice presidency?

I'd like to hear both candidates' ideas about the proper role and powers of the vice-president, especially in light of the power grab made by Cheney. (I also think this will be a great time to see Palin fall on her ass, since she barely knows what the constitutional role of the VP is, let alone what it should be.)

necroSYS on
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd say this thread needs a poll, but that's just related to my prior experience with debate polls.

My bet is that the debate is a draw. Sarah has something approximating style, but more importantly she can answer a question in a seemingly impressive manner without actually answering it.

JamesKeenan on
  • clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, add pitbull to your Sarah words.

And another bingo: http://www.palinbingo.com/

clsCorwin on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am excited.

I am going to put on my excitement hat.

Quid on
    edited October 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    I am excited.

I am going to put on my excitement hat.

Is that like... thought condom?

JamesKeenan on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I assumed it was more like a Governors hat. When you take it off you're not acting as governor, so taking off an excitement hat means less excited.

Burtletoy on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Its like a jimmy hat only it stops stupidity not aids.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2008
    Preacher wrote: »

So you'd just be watching Biden talk/shout at himself for an hour or two?

JamesKeenan on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Glaeal wrote: »
    I'm convinced that anyone that is watching these debates to see Sarah Palin fall apart will be sorely disappointed. Her answers will probably have zero actual content, but apparently she's damn good at the no-answer answer.

We've only seen her good at the "no-answer answer" when talking about Alaska. Anything dealing with the national stage has been an utter train wreck for her.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Ohhhhhh I can;t wait, this is going to be glorious, one way or another.

DarkWarrior on
    edited October 2008
    Preacher wrote: »

So you'd just be watching Biden talk/shout at himself for an hour or two?

God willing, I could listen to Biden read the dictionary... with his shirt off that come hither look in his eye that creepy constipated jack o lantern grin.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2008

We've only seen her good at the "no-answer answer" when talking about Alaska. Anything dealing with the national stage has been an utter train wreck for her.

"But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health-care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy, helping the—it's got to be all about job creation, too, shoring up our economy and putting it back on the right track. So health-care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions and tax relief for Americans. And trade, we've got to see trade as opportunity, not as a competitive, scary thing. But one in five jobs being created in the trade sector today, we've got to look at that as more opportunity. All those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that..."

JamesKeenan on
    edited October 2008

"But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health-care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy, helping the—it's got to be all about job creation, too, shoring up our economy and putting it back on the right track. So health-care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions and tax relief for Americans. And trade, we've got to see trade as opportunity, not as a competitive, scary thing. But one in five jobs being created in the trade sector today, we've got to look at that as more opportunity. All those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that..."

[Jack Cafferty] Did you get that? [/Jack Cafferty]

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Please let this be true.

If for whatever god awful reason the McCain campaign thinks Palin trying to bring the heat tonight is a good idea, all bets are off. If she gets snarky and attacks, Biden's got as close to free rein to smack her down as anyone is going to get.

This might, might, have worked if it came out of nowhere by throwing him off once long enough to become a soundbite the media could drool over to the exclusion of covering the other 95% of the time he was dominating, but calling it ahead of time takes away the "what the hell did she just say?" value.

werehippy on
    edited October 2008

Wasn't that one of the verbatim quotes used in the SNL sketch?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    necroSYS wrote: »
    The claim by Dick Cheney that he was exempt from certain disclosure requirements because the vice president was a “legislative officer” has been greeted with outrage. But the main power the Constitution grants the vice president is a legislative one — breaking a tie vote in the Senate.

I'd like to hear both candidates' ideas about the proper role and powers of the vice-president, especially in light of the power grab made by Cheney. (I also think this will be a great time to see Palin fall on her ass, since she barely knows what the constitutional role of the VP is, let alone what it should be.)

I agree entirely.

Jragghen on
    edited October 2008
    I'd say this thread needs a poll, but that's just related to my prior experience with debate polls.

My bet is that the debate is a draw. Sarah has something approximating style, but more importantly she can answer a question in a seemingly impressive manner without actually answering it.

I'd love to accomodate you, but either I fail at this version of the forums, or only mods can make polls.

necroSYS on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

To be a good nonanswer it must at least be coherent.

Fencingsax on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    since when did anybody do any debating in one of these things?

Yeah, they basically just insult eachother with snarky remarks. Just like this forum!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »

I agree entirely.
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    CBS wrote:
    Couric: What do you think is the best and worst thing that Dick Cheney has done as Vice President?

Palin: Worst thing I guess would have been the duck hunting accident...The best thing though; he as he has shown the support, along with George W. Bush, of our troops.

necroSYS on
    edited October 2008
    I hope Iphil saw that.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I agree entirely.

Biden's answered this already, but I'm too lazy to find the answer. :oops:

He has no intention of overstepping the role of VP as Cheney has.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I agree entirely.

When Couric asked him what the worst thing Cheney has done, Biden answered, "walking all over the Constitution."

Hedgethorn on
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    t1land.palin.biden.gi.jpg

the candidates arriving

I bet she's got an earpiece under all that hair. I only remember seeing her hair down in one of her very early rallies.

Clevinger on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

I agree entirely.

When Couric asked him what the worst thing Cheney has done, Biden answered, "walking all over the Constitution."

I love him.

DarkWarrior on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Biden: Long Lost Brother of Hunter S. Thompson?

Salvation122 on
    edited October 2008
    Clevinger wrote: »

the candidates arriving

I bet she's got an earpiece under all that hair. I only remember seeing her hair down in one of her very early rallies.

I'm still not convinced that shape under Bush's jacket was a portable difibrilator.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited October 2008

the candidates arriving

I bet she's got an earpiece under all that hair.

Palin looks like she's arriving at some kind of county fair. Biden looks like he's about to make a hit.

JamesKeenan on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

the candidates arriving

I bet she's got an earpiece under all that hair.

Palin looks like she's arriving at some kind of county fair. Biden looks like he's about to make a hit.

Well in a way, he is.

TubularLuggage on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You know, I'm in Obama's camp through and through, but I'm going to laugh when she vastly exceeds your alls' nonexistent expectations.

Jragghen on
    edited October 2008
    You know, I'm in Obama's camp through and through, but I'm going to laugh when she vastly exceeds your alls' nonexistent expectations.

0x0 is still... 0

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

We'll see.

I'm psyched. The odds of something incredibly stupid being said tonight is extremely high, and I loves me a good gaffe. Also, Gwen Ifill! <3 This is like a perfect storm of political debates.

...I need to go make popcorn.

moniker on
This discussion has been closed.