As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old HALO TBK Thread - GO TO THE NEW ONE!

EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MANRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
tbkheaderzc5.jpg

Since November 9, 2004

DOUBLE XP WEEKEND - 10/30-1???: Ranked Infection (Legendary Required)

Latest News/Rumor Mongering Goes Here:

>>>>HALO RELATED ANNOUNCEMENTS AT TOKYO GAME SHOW<<<<<
Halo Wars - They showed a live demo, game to hit Early 09.
Keep It Clean - New Video (CLICK ME), and announced to be Halo3 Recon. "a prologue to the events in Halo 3 that tells the story from an all-new perspective: an ODST recon marine."

To the delight of devoted fans across the world, at the Tokyo Game Show Microsoft debuted Halo 3: Recon, developed exclusively for Xbox 360® by acclaimed developer Bungie. This new chapter in the Halo saga lets you experience events leading up to the epic story told in Halo 3 through the eyes of a new hero in the Halo universe.

The stand-alone expansion, set to release in fall 2009, extends the award-winning Halo® 3 experience with hours of new campaign excursions and multiplayer gameplay. In addition, attendees were given an all-new glimpse of the Xbox 360 exclusive strategy game Halo Wars from Ensemble Studios. The campaign mode provided a thrilling taste of the revolutionary gameplay and new perspective of the Halo universe. Enjoy the full experience when Halo Wars hits retailers in early 2009.

This new chapter in the Halo universe includes the following:

* All-new campaign content: The Halo 3: Recon campaign is an intriguing side story that takes place during the terrifying events leading up to the Master Chief’s return to New Mombasa in Halo 3. Experience the fate of Earth from the brand-new perspective of a special forces ODST (Orbital Drop Shock Trooper), adding a unique outlook and new gameplay elements to the events that unfold in the trilogy’s finale. While the feel of this new chapter greatly resembles that of previous Halo experiences, Halo 3: Recon will require you to employ more elements of stealth and cunning than ever before.
* Prepare to drop: Known for their courage, valor and, at times, insanity, ODSTs are among the fiercest UNSC soldiers, priding themselves on being the first unit deployed into hostile situations. While not as large or supernaturally gifted as their Spartan comrades, these "Hell Jumpers" more than compensate with their ferocious attitudes and unwavering nerve.
* Expanded multiplayer collection:No Halo experience would be complete without groundbreaking multiplayer content, and Halo 3: Recon gives fans more of what they love. With exclusive new maps and expanded Forge options, Xbox LIVE® Gold members will find more multiplayer content than ever before with Halo 3: Recon.
* Ever-growing community options: Enjoy all the great Halo 3 technological innovations, including Saved Films, screenshots, Campaign Scoring, and four-player co-op. All of the new multiplayer maps fully support the Forge editor, offering endless gameplay customization possibilities.

Halo Wars Trailer
Keep It Clean

Mythic Map Pack Map names and descriptions.
FyreWulff wrote: »
probably a joke post but eh slow news day

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=896235

Heretic - Internal Name: midship.map
Because of its speed and luxury the Pious Inquisitor has become an irresistible prize during these dark times. 2-8 players

Citadel - Internal Name: fortress.map
In the heart of this Forerunner structure, far above the troubled surface of the Ark, another battle rages. 2-6 players

Assembly - Internal Name: descent.map
The Covenant war machine continues its march to conquest; even with its head severed it is still dangerous. 2-8 players

Sandbox - Internal Name: sandbox.map
This endless wasteland still holds many secrets. Some of them are held more deeply than others. 4-12 players

Orbital - Internal Name: spacecamp.map
With a lot of situational awareness, and a little luck, hopefully the only thing you will lose is your luggage. 4-12 player

DANGER! DANGER! HIGH VOLTAGE!
The following post is filled with awesome, explosions, and images not safe for 56k connections. But you don't live in 1985 do you?

didIjusthearsomething.jpg
Good!

Now, onto business!

What is this Halo thing?
Halo is a game where you get to make cool explosions, and punch stoners in the face with flags. We like to play this game so we can make cool explosions and shoot people, in their faces

What does it look like? I've been blind for all my life and now I can see!
I've pooled a few sample images here, but if YOU want to be in, send me a message with the pictures.
Blackout2.jpg
ohhaiguys.jpg
Sidewinder2.jpg
GhostTown2.jpg
epicdeath.jpg

I hear this game also has a story, what is it?
Halo 3 is the 3rd game in the Halo trilogy, where we follow Master Chief as he kicks covenant ass and chews bubblegum.

-Wait, what about that elite you had to play as in Halo 2?
First, let me finish. Who's reading who's OP now, Hmm? Anyway, Yes, the Arbiter from Halo 2 is back, and he gets to kick massive amounts of ass, just because he's voiced by Keith David
and Keith David will mess you the fuck up.
16290712-Full.jpg
Characters
Chief01_T.gif Arbiter01_T.gif Nitro_T.gif Uzi_T.gif
Click a photo for some sort of official biography.
What is TBK?
The Bees Knees is the awkward love child spawned by the Games & Technology board and the release of Halo 2 in 2004. We now maintain a fleet of a thousand nerds ready to play games.

I want to play Halo 3 with you guys. What do I need to do?
Send a friend request to the gamertag "A TBK Clan II" or to one of the staff. Please, PLEASE note that you're from PA via text or voice so we know how to deal with you.

What are the Staff gamertags?

Active Overlords
  • Evil Badman MD
  • FyreWulff Rex
  • Thrillhizzle
Active Staff
  • Lookfreegrenade
  • Viscount02
  • Default Rance
Not as active but kept here for future use:
Staff
  • Repoman1023
  • Stachzilla
  • thetinwoodsman
  • Valnegro
  • X Equals Loser
Cyrogenically frozen until post WW3
  • Nambkab
  • QuietMessiah
  • SchwarzeKrieg

What is the best way to get into a game?
We're lazy. If you want to get into a party, send one of us an invite to indicate that you want in. Also, a good way to get in contact with us is through AIM. If you message Fyre (MKiddr) or me (tbkredshirt, good luck getting me to go on AIM though), we can tell you if a game is open or not, or if we're playing that night. Feel free to try and collect other TBK AIM names...

Does TBK require any sort of tryouts or some crap?
No. We do not hold tryouts. All we require of the people that play with us is that you have a passable skill at the game (ie, you know where to take a flag or a bomb) and you're not a douchebag. Trust us, we've had douchebags. They don't last long.

Ranks are my life. MLG is the greatest. Should I join TBK?
Probably not. We mostly play Social (unranked) playlist because they're awesome and because we usually have odd sized parties. Also, when it gets late, all the ranked playlists are full of level 47 assholes.

Also, you really shouldn't waste your time trying to prove MLG is great to us. We've been here 4 years. We still don't think they are the end all be all of Haloez.

What time do you guys usually play?
Late at night in North America, and into the wee morning hours if we're doing well. We play a lot more during DoubleXP weekends.

I want to play either Halo with you. What do I need to do?
For Halo 2, you need to go to Xbox Live and then Downloadable Content, and grab all the map packs. This is going to take a while. It's 551MB in total. Also because OXBox Live downloads are slow.

For Halo 3, download the free Heroic Map Pack, and you can get the free map Cold Storage too. You can also buy Legendary if you want, but it's not required to play with us. We will constantly erode you with insults for failing to purchase Legendary, though.

What do you consider cheating or unsporting?
In Halo 2, any sort of button combination is considering cheating by us (and Bungie). This includes BXR, BXB, doubleshot, etc. We also consider superbouncing to the top of maps as cheating.

In Halo 3, since there are no known exploits *knock on wood*, pretty much just don't standby, and try to avoid spawncamping too hard. Also, according to Shiska, any method of boosting is cheating.

What's with all your crazy ass lingo for maps? And why does FyreWulff keep calling out numbers as locations?
We've adopted certain phrases to make it quicker to call out locations on maps. Here is a sample of the most popular Halo 3 ones:
Valhalla
Pelican Side: the entire left side if you're on Red, right if you're blue.
Bubble Side: the entire left side if you're on Blue, right if you're Red.
Water Caves: the area with the fallen rocks that the river runs under near blue base.
Hot Gates/Tollbooth: the canyon that the red side cannon puts you near.
Side Cave: refers to the caves on the side. Usually used like "they're in our side cave" or "they're spawning in their side cave"

Last Resort
Key/Pee Hole: The broken wall entrance on the top floor of the base
Generators: the electrical towers outside of the base's gate.
Froman: The little side platform with an area underneath. It has a "Camp Froman" sign near the sniper rifle.
Camo Tower: the tower with the bubble shield/brute shot opposite of Froman.
Camo Door: the lower right side door facing the base from the beach
Gate Door: the lower left side door facing the base from the beach
Catwalk: the ledge that goes from Froman, up along the back wall and over to the base

Sandtrap
Temple: the long hallway structure on blue team's side.
Bat Cave (or Cathedral): the short underground rooms structure on red team's side.

Standoff
Front Door: the doorway for the each base with the warthog outside.
Lower Door: the doorway that gos into each bases' room that has the button for the gate.
Gate: Long hallway that goes from the bases' button room to silo 1 (red) or silo 2 (blue).
Tree: the tree with red's camo.

Rat's Nest
Outside: the outside cliff that with the Pelican and rockets
Middle: the middle area of the map with the upper bridge and the lower gravity hammer and camo
Sniper: The upper area with the large generator and ghost

Avalanche
Shotgun: area that connects the middle of the map, in the inside is a shotgun, on each side outside is a sniper and overshield
Middle: area at the bottom of the horseshoe with laser and ghost. Easily mixed up with Shotgun.

Ghost Town
Lost Woods: area behind where blue spawns.
Base side: The base and the area around it where red spawns

Numbers called out on any map refer to locations in Territory gametypes.
The reason you'll hear people calling out numbers as locations ex "Spawning at 4!" is because we're using territory locations for better precision and speed. This especially helps on Sandtrap. If you want to see where the numbers are, just go into a Territories game by yourself.

What about us hardcore halo fans, anything cool here?
Why, yes! We'll try to keep the thread up to date with all the latest news about Halo or Bungie.
Random Old News:

Assembly (Pictures from PAX)
Hey look, pictures:

H3_MP_AssemblyEnv03.jpg
H3_MP_AssemblyEnv02.jpg
H3_MP_AssemblyEnv01.jpg
H3_MP_Assembly-3p03.jpg
H3_MP_Assembly-3p02.jpg
H3_MP_Assembly-3p01.jpg
H3_MP_Assembly-1p02.jpg
H3_MP_Assembly-1p01.jpg

And glorious Footage!
043 wrote: »
I assume it's somewhere on pre-infection High Charity. But since the screenshots, and the walkthrough video I just saw, don't really look up, or out, I can't really tell.

Beautiful, though.

Walkthrough video: http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/08/29/pax-2008-video-runthough-of-new-halo-3-map-assembly/

RvB animated movie?!?
DarkPrimus wrote: »
Hey guys, guess what RvB is working on for after RvB:Reconstruction?

Something like this.

So, I was thinking earlier today about doing the G&T Secret Santa thing, but realized shortly thereafter that I really don't feel connected to the rest of the PA community the way I do toward TBK. So, to spread some Haloy joy around, I've talked with Fyre and a couple of other guys, and we've decided to put on the best event ever.

The Bees Knees Secret Holiday-Themed Elite
It's like a TBK Secret Santa.
This is a pretty run of the mill secret santa thing, but instead of shooting to get everyone something awesome and expensive, we've taken a slightly different approach. Here's be them here rule thingies:
  • PM me (X Equals Loser) with your real name and address.
  • Limit your purchases to TEN DOLLARS. This is a going to be a challenge. What's the most awesome thing you can find for someone that's under ten dollars?
  • Be discreet with your stalkings. Don't let on who you've gotten matched up with. Half the fun is trying to figure out who's got you before the gift shows up.
  • Get your gifts sent out BEFORE Xmas. Seriously, being late to the party makes you uncool.
  • This is global, so people like Thrill can join in on the fesitivities. The shipping cost is not included in the 10 bucks, so go crazy.
  • Please fucking send your santee a gift. If you don't, we don't want to play Halo with you anymore, and probably won't. Be warned: we're very bitter people.
  • Yes, X has diabetes. Do not send him candy. I'm in charge of this. I will know who got me. I will blacklist your ass from the clan.
  • I may add more things as they come, so keep tabs on this post.
Go nuts, kids. I'll start assigning people when I feel we've gotten a pretty good group going.

ANY QUESTIONS?

I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
EvilBadman on

• EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    obamachill.jpg

TBK RULES AND CHARTER

1 GAMETYPES YOU ALWAYS VETO
    Big Team Battle:
    Last Resort Territories
    anything on Standoff
    Neutral Bomb Valhalla

DLC Objective:
    Neutral Bomb on Ghost Town
    2 Bomb on Ghost Town
    2 Flag on Ghost Town

2 GAMETYPES YOU NEVER EVER VETO, ESPECIALLY AGAINST HIGH RANKED PLAYERS
    Land Grab Narrows
    Land Grab Snowbound
    1 Sided anything (except for territories on Last Resort)
    2 Flag SWAT
    SWAT Magnums

3 IF YOU ARE SPLIT TO ANOTHER TEAM, YOU ARE A SPY

4 THESE PEOPLE LIKE THESE THINGS. DO NOT TAKE THESE THINGS FROM THEM.
    Spartan Laser -> Badman
    Banshee -> Thrill

5 IF A SLAYER GAME IS CLOSE AND YOU ARE NOT GOOD AT SLAYER, JUST FUCKING HIDE OR DONT GO OUT

6 IF FYRE IS BREAKING THE HABIT ON STANDOFF DO NOT FUCKING GO NEAR HIM FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
    Breaking the habit refers to us holding the bomb behind the rock on blue base's cliff in order to run down the clock. We don't use this much. In Halo 2, it refers to holding the bomb to run down the clock on the machinery in Waterworks.

7 DO NOT TAKE OFF IN A HOG BY YOURSELF. THIS IS NOT HALO 2

8 BEFORE TAKING OFF IN A GOOSE CHECK FOR TEAMMATES THAT WANT TO RIDE WITH YOU

9 THESE PEOPLE ARE BANNED FROM DRIVING A WARTHOG
    Nambkab
    Viscount02
    PrimusD
    MrBeeb

10 IF EVERYONE IS HAVING A GOOD TIME BUT SOMEONE IS RAGING ABOUT THE GAME YOU ARE GIVEN THE FREEDOM TO CALL THEM EVERY GIRLS NAME YOU KNOW

EvilBadman on
  • AbsolutionAbsolution __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    hur

Absolution on
    gabe3pp2.gif
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    10 IF EVERYONE IS HAVING A GOOD TIME BUT SOMEONE IS RAGING ABOUT THE GAME YOU ARE GIVEN THE FREEDOM TO CALL THEM EVERY GIRLS NAME YOU KNOW

We should amend this rule to say that people also call you a gosh darned cunt.

Viscountalpha on
  • YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nice roman numerals there, badman.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Haha wow the thirty-third thread, huh?

So Badman, you're going to edit that post every week with the most recent Update? Seems like a chore and a half.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    if you get sent to the other team

synchronize watches

Local H Jay on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    if you get sent to the other team

synchronize watches

Code 66 works too.

Viscountalpha on
    edited October 2008
    I've always wondered how the spy thing worked. Like, do you pause and send the other team voice messages? Live doesn't lend itself to that kind of thing too well.

Willeth on
    edited October 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    Haha wow the thirty-third thread, huh?

So Badman, you're going to edit that post every week with the most recent Update? Seems like a chore and a half.

I wouldn't mind making the next thread but people might hate my headlines

Viscountalpha on
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    toooooooo soooooon

ah, it's alright. My baby needed to die.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
    edited October 2008
    I've always wondered how the spy thing worked. Like, do you pause and send the other team voice messages? Live doesn't lend itself to that kind of thing too well.

As its understood, You are not supposed to help the other team. I pretend I'm only doing ok and end up bringing them weapons so its not blatant.

Viscountalpha on
    edited October 2008

As its understood, You are not supposed to help the other team. I pretend I'm only doing ok and end up bringing them weapons so its not blatant.

Oh, I see. So grab a power weapon and leg it to the TBK guys and let them kill you? :P That seems like a way to piss people off real fast.

Willeth on
    edited October 2008

No, what Viscount does is you kill us and if you are in a vehicle when we kill you for being a traitorous bastard we take your vehicle.

The way you spy is

1. Change voice settings to team & party. Mute non TBKers on your team.
    2. Help TBK team. This happens by
    a. getting your random teammates to betray, and then kick them. You should be able to boot all of them if you're good
    b. giving us your power weapons/vehicles.
    c. Giving us a ride in a vehicle. This could be driving us around in a warthog to get kills, driving us back to our base to get a flag cap/bomb detonation, or just giving us a ride. Also if your teammates kill you trying to kill us, you can boot them!

also beeb'd

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    In other words, be a douchebag!

I see that, Lookfree.

Mx. Quill on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Will be on as soon as I finish this bowl of delicious Cheerios.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
    edited October 2008
    or there's always the best one

shoot a team mate after a party member shoots him

you kill him, it gets counted as kill for your buddy, and you don't get booted.

basically just being a dick

edit: me am soon be on

Local H Jay on
    edited October 2008

No, what Viscount does is you kill us and if you are in a vehicle when we kill you for being a traitorous bastard we take your vehicle.

The way you spy is

1. Change voice settings to team & party. Mute non TBKers on your team.
    2. Help TBK team. This happens by
    a. getting your random teammates to betray, and then kick them. You should be able to boot all of them if you're good
    b. giving us your power weapons/vehicles.
    c. Giving us a ride in a vehicle. This could be driving us around in a warthog to get kills, driving us back to our base to get a flag cap/bomb detonation, or just giving us a ride. Also if your teammates kill you trying to kill us, you can boot them!

also beeb'd

The problem is that now that they kind of consider that cheating. I ain't getting no ban for you guys. Being non-blatant about it helps conceal it better.

Viscountalpha on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    yay new thread...also Im on now if anyone wants to play

Dixon on
  • SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    or there's always the best one

shoot a team mate after a party member shoots him

you kill him, it gets counted as kill for your buddy, and you don't get booted.

basically just being a dick

edit: me am soon be on

Another one that works is that you can load up a warthog with a gunner and a passenger and then drive full speed at a cliff, jump off just before it takes a tumble and you won't get the suicide double betrayal.. the other guys just get suicides

Sakeido on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, take me off the Banned from Hog list.

DarkPrimus on
    edited October 2008
    What the fuck. I win in Team Snipers DoubleEXP and get . . . no EXP?

AuburnTiger on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What the fuck. I win in Team Snipers DoubleEXP and get . . . no EXP?

This happened to me earlier in social as well, no wait I lie, it was team slayer. Apparently there are still a few bugs. Also Dixon, Yorker and I are on, we need more guys.

Leitner on
    edited October 2008
    Local get your ass in game

Dixon on
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Way 2 invite someone to a game and then go into matchmaking before they can join, dixon :|

YardGnome on
    edited October 2008
    im sorry...it sid you were on dashboard still we waited a bit...I'll invite you when we finish

Dixon on
  • SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    how much longer are you guys playing for?

Sakeido on
    edited October 2008
    long time...wait your playing rockband now!

Dixon on
    edited October 2008
    reminder:
    every time you're on, send XStR8 BeAstinX condasending, sarcastic, or griefing messages

Absolution on
    gabe3pp2.gif
    edited October 2008
    careful though, he's in the MLG and could totaly 1v1 you

Absolution on
    gabe3pp2.gif
    edited October 2008
    The XXX in the thread title is how I clutch your mother with my BR spread.

EvilBadman on
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dammit Dixon, we have to time this better
    I was playing Rock Band 2 because the you went into matchmaking the first time. I didn't join immediately because I was in the middle of a good run on Bodhisattva and bitch I ain't cuttin out of that for no man. I'm sitting in the lobby in Halo 3, send me another invite when you get out.

YardGnome on
    edited October 2008
    Also: I plan on actually maintaining the OP. I care that much about the thread.

EvilBadman on
    edited October 2008
    You make Sergeant Baker cry.

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tales of Vesperia has finally been completed. Now, my only games in my backlogs are GTAIV and Mario RPG. More time for Halo.

Mx. Quill on
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!

"Union Buster - 25g: Fuck Yeah, Walmart"

Also, I kind of wound up with the weekend off on accident.

On AWESOME accident.

mrsnackroad on
    edited October 2008
    Local H Jay on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to create another account.

AuburnTiger on
    edited October 2008
    how come?
    What about your GS and your saved games and DLC!

Dixon on
    edited October 2008
    Well I can get the Halo achievements pretty easily again.

Mostly it's because I fucked myself over. It's impossible for me to rank up. I jumped in never playing Halo before with friends of much higher skill, so I've got a lot of losses logged in and my K/D spread is shit.

AuburnTiger on