As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official Veep Debate Thread: FULL DEBATE VIDEO IN FIRST POST

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How, exactly, is my personal opinion of his personality an evidentury matter? What are you, Defender?

What rebuttal has there been of "I don't think he came across very sincere"? What has been "debunked" there? What is there to debunk?

What EVIDENCE can there possibly be that he sincerely understands and empathizes with working people as he implies? I'm not saying Joe Biden is some great hypocrite or anything, I'm just saying he's pretty far removed from the circumstances he talks about all the time and I think it's pandering of him to continuously say, "Hey I'm just like you."

I think palin is SINCERELY a dipstick, and one that reads about a quart low. I do think her selection was brilliant political theatre, as opposed to that of Biden, which was a very lackluster and typical appeasement choice.

Edit: For the record, I think Biden won the shit out of the debate, btw.
    Man, your opinion on anything and everything is a matter of evidence. I'm not gonna buy that you think Batman is cool until you produce evidence of a hand injury from a karate chop gone wrong.

And I mean. His argument isn't what you describe. That's why your opinion of him seems to lack any reasonable logic. He's saying "I have been in your position I am now quite privileged and hope to help out people who aren't as lucky." Now, you may still not believe him. I may not. But you can't say it's due to his words.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My gut tells me Biden eats puppies.

Quid on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Quid wrote: »

Shouldn't it be that your get tells you if you eat puppies?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Quid wrote: »

My gut tells me I need to poop.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It tells me I ate pizza right now.

Quid on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, I think she sincerely believes in the crap she believes in. I don't think that's a good thing, though. In her case, it's probably just a sign of effective programming.

I don't think she does.

Her body language spoke of someone concentrating their hardest on not trying to give away the typical body language signs... her direct stare to the camera and the gaze that never deviated, the winks, the grins.

Negative. It takes a great actor to fake subconcious body movement, and if she was being truthful she wouldn't look like she had McCain's hand jammed up her ass, using her like a puppet. She had a blank, 1000 yard stare.

Nothing in her body language suggests she believed half the shit she was saying. Sometimes I'm pretty sure she didn't even understand it.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How, exactly, is my personal opinion of his personality an evidentury matter? What are you, Defender?

What rebuttal has there been of "I don't think he came across very sincere"? What has been "debunked" there? What is there to debunk?

What EVIDENCE can there possibly be that he sincerely understands and empathizes with working people as he implies? I'm not saying Joe Biden is some great hypocrite or anything, I'm just saying he's pretty far removed from the circumstances he talks about all the time and I think it's pandering of him to continuously say, "Hey I'm just like you."

I think palin is SINCERELY a dipstick, and one that reads about a quart low. I do think her selection was brilliant political theatre, as opposed to that of Biden, which was a very lackluster and typical appeasement choice.

Man, your opinion on anything and everything is a matter of evidence. I'm not gonna buy that you think Batman is cool until you produce evidence of a hand injury from a karate chop gone wrong.

And I mean. His argument isn't what you describe. That's why your opinion of him seems to lack any reasonable logic. He's saying "I have been in your position I am now quite privileged and hope to help out people who aren't as lucky." Now, you may still not believe him. I may not. But you can't say it's due to his words.

No, I can't say it's due to his words, I can only say it's due to his tone as he speaks. I just don't buy the guy 100%. I don't buy Obama 100% either. I actually do think that whatever altruism they do have is probably tempered by at least a teeny, tiny dose of ego and perhaps a tiny soupcon of ambition. It doesn't really matter, you have to say some shit to get elected sometimes.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, I think she sincerely believes in the crap she believes in. I don't think that's a good thing, though. In her case, it's probably just a sign of effective programming.

I don't think she does.

Her body language spoke of someone concentrating their hardest on not trying to give away the typical body language signs... her direct stare to the camera and the gaze that never deviated, the winks, the grins.

Negative. It takes a great actor to fake subconcious body movement, and if she was being truthful she wouldn't look like she had McCain's hand jammed up her ass, using her like a puppet. She had a blank, 1000 yard stare.

Nothing in her body language suggests she believed half the shit she was saying. Sometimes I'm pretty sure she didn't even understand it.

Well, given his historical fidelity, I couldn't say it hasn't at some point.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Palin, I think is basically sincere. I think she does believe what she says. Sadly, she's against almost everything I'm for, so her sincerity is wasted on me.

So you're basically insane, then? I don't think I've heard Palin say a single thing that wasn't later proven to be a lie at worst, or at best, a gross misrepresentation.

You think she sounded sincere? I think she sounded like a junior in high school reciting a book report.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I don't think she does.

Oh, I think there's been, what you might call, "some prep"

Fo sho

. Most of the policy specifics she was spouting were memorized, and she was definitely coached. I do think she's a real bible-swinging conservative. She won't get the fear of god driven out of her until she wins office and they drive out the holy spirit when they make her swear to the Goat God of the Skull and Bones and kiss the skull of Poncho Villa.

(that's a joke, Medo)

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Palin, I think is basically sincere. I think she does believe what she says. Sadly, she's against almost everything I'm for, so her sincerity is wasted on me.

So you're basically insane, then? I don't think I've heard Palin say a single thing that wasn't later proven to be a lie at worst, or at best, a gross misrepresentation.

You think she sounded sincere? I think she sounded like a junior in high school reciting a book report.

No, I don't think she sounded sincere. I think she is a sincere conservative. I think she sounds like a shrill, annoying, PTA know-it-all when she talks. I think she does believe in Jesus and I think she believes in America, Freedom, and Stuff. I also think she's as relatively dumb as you can get away with being in politics.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    No, I can't say it's due to his words, I can only say it's due to his tone as he speaks. I just don't buy the guy 100%. I don't buy Obama 100% either. I actually do think that whatever altruism they do have is probably tempered by at least a teeny, tiny dose of ego and perhaps a tiny soupcon of ambition. It doesn't really matter, you have to say some shit to get elected sometimes.
    ... Well, duh. They're ignorant, petty, greedy, irrational, and lazy. Just like every other person on the planet.

I just think you're taking a negative reaction to voice way too far.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    ... Well, duh. They're ignorant, petty, greedy, irrational, and lazy. Just like every other person on the planet.

I just think you're taking a negative reaction to voice way too far.

I was actually prepared to riff on it once and move on but some people had to explain to me that he was, for a fact, sincere, because of things he said in a speech and also because his wife died so I should just take the fucking taxi to wrongtown and be sure to tip.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Network ratings for the debate
    s-VP-DEBATE-SCORECARD-large.jpg

Oof...poor MSNBC.

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Where is the evidence that she actually believes the shit she says? Her record as mayor and governor suggests she doesn't give much of a shit.

With Biden, I can at least point to some of the stuff he did.

So she's been out making pro-choice, anti-big business, anti-church, pro-gay decisions? Maybe I can vote for her.

Your gut tells you Palin is sincere.

Your gut tells you Biden is not.

Thus far this is the only argument you've provided. All of your other evidence has been debunked or questioned with serious merit.

You can believe what you want to believe, but if you fail to acknowledge that you might be wrong once you look up some actual evidence, then you deserve to be jumped on.

I should say I was confused by your use of the word "sincere".

Evidence of sincerity can be found in many places, such as transparency. Biden has made all his tax info public, Palin has not. This makes me feel that Biden is more sincere. That is a statement of my opinion, backed up by factual evidence.

All I'm saying is that your opinions are coming off as kneejerk and unfounded, which makes them hard to buy.

EDIT: Also, I'm arguing with you because disagree with your claim that Palin is sincere and Biden is not. I think Biden gives a damn about what he talks about a lot of the time.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »

Oof...poor MSNBC.
    That would be much worse if they weren't competing with themselves.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    CBS's logo is creepy.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    My opinion IS knee-jerk. It's just a fact: I don't like the cut of the guy's jib. His politics? pretty OK. His record? Fine. We ostensibly agree on many things. I just think he's got a little attitude. I didn't say I was gonna kick him in the balls, I just had something negative to say about how he came across to me in the debate.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Oof...poor MSNBC.

Well, a lot of markets have moved it to expanded basic cable, so I'm not terribly suprised.

A little disappointed at ABC's ratings though. Fuck ABC.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    NOW A TENSION BREAKER:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-19-most-ridiculous-moments-from-vp-debate/

9:01 PM Ross Wolinsky -Did Biden just say Dick Lugar? That is the baddest assest name ever.
    9:01 PM Michael Swaim - It’s also a pretty decent birth control device.
    9:02 PM Dan O’Brien - There’s a guy named Dick Lugar?
    9:02 PM Dan O’Brien - I want to vote for that guy
    9:03 PM Michael Swaim - Cock Tommy Gun?
    9:03 PM Michael Swaim - Penis Kalazhnikov?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Oof...poor MSNBC.

Well, a lot of markets have moved it to expanded basic cable, so I'm not terribly suprised.

Yeah, I don't think MSNBC is going to make it to the next election cycle.

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    My opinion IS knee-jerk. It's just a fact: I don't like the cut of the guy's jib. His politics? pretty OK. His record? Fine. We ostensibly agree on many things. I just think he's got a little attitude. I didn't say I was gonna kick him in the balls, I just had something negative to say about how he came across to me in the debate.

Fair enough man. It's when you start talking about how he's pure evil and not actually human that you're raising people's hackles.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Fair enough man. It's when you start talking about how he's pure evil and not actually human that you're raising people's hackles.

HAhAHA dude

you keep underestimating how cynical journalism left me

The day I say being pure evil makes you not human, I'll be inching toward daylight.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So what do you have against most / all Congressmen / Judges / etc? I know I feel like they don't get all the things I want done, but I realize that they represent many more people than myself.

You seem to have an irrational disliking towards these people in government. Especially the ones that keep getting re-elected by their happy electorate.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Oof...poor MSNBC.

I'm a bit disappointed that Fox got higher ratings than CNN... but I suppose at least the "big 3" all beat them.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

I don't think she does.

Fo sho

. Most of the policy specifics she was spouting were memorized, and she was definitely coached. I do think she's a real bible-swinging conservative. She won't get the fear of god driven out of her until she wins office and they drive out the holy spirit when they make her swear to the Goat God of the Skull and Bones and kiss the skull of Poncho Villa.

(that's a joke, Medo)

Oh fuck off

I don't usually make a habit of responding to people that backpedal their original posts by saying they were obviously joking

Medopine on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey I totally watched it on MSNBC

Medopine on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

I don't think she does.

Fo sho

(that's a joke, Medo)

Oh fuck off

I don't usually make a habit of responding to people that backpedal their original posts by saying they were obviously joking

Oh it wasn't a "joke" per se - but I hope it's clear that I know where Scranton is and, for the record, I believe Joe Biden does as well, and that even though it had quotes around it, it was my hope that people would understand I was not saying Joe Biden really attributed to himself, age 10, the archaic vocation of steel driver.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Oh man, oh man...
    Torches.jpg

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    NOW A TENSION BREAKER:

9:01 PM Ross Wolinsky -Did Biden just say Dick Lugar? That is the baddest assest name ever.

Haha, that article is gold.

# 9:23 PM Ross Wolinsky - Who’s Moose? Is that one of her kids?
    # 9:23 PM Dan O’Brien - No, her kids are Bagel, Trat and Sauron.
    # 9:23 PM Michael Swaim - I thought it was Odin, Brussels and Camembert.
    # 9:24 PM Dan O’Brien - Pooter, Stank and Obermeyer.
    # 9:24 PM Michael Swaim - Conklin, Calculon, and Wankle
    # 9:25 PM Ross Wolinsky - Is it too late for me to say Bunting, Cattleprod and Slaw?
    # 9:25 PM Michael Swaim - Only if I can mention Whipple, Shank, and Samsung.
    # 9:26 PM Michael Swaim - Crankshaft, Spaulding and Gex.
    # 9:27 PM Dan O’Brien - Dripspat, Dooper and Strunt.
    # 9:27 PM Ross Wolinsky - Bunker, Tallywacker and Tubes.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Oh man, oh man...
    Torches.jpg

Needs moar Obama holding a sword up to a T-Rex.

And McCain blowing up New York.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    NOW A TENSION BREAKER:

Best exchange:
    8:07 PM Ross Wolinsky - What’s wrong with his eyes? They look like coin slots.
    8:11 PM Dan O’Brien - I agree with Ross, I want to store my coins in Joe Biden’s eyes.
    8:11 PM Ross Wolinsky - In these days of economic crisis, please, America: STORE YOUR MONEY IN JOE BIDEN’S TINY COIN SLOT EYES.
    8:12 PM Michael Swaim - I think you’re underestimating how unsavory the retrieval process would be.
    8:16 PM Dan O’Brien - You know, this whole election has been about Barack, McCain, and Sarah. I don’t think anyone realizes that Biden has been sneaking around. Do you guys know anything about Biden? He is FUCKING INSANE.
    8:17 PM Dan O’Brien - If he proposed some kind of weather-controlling device tonight, I don’t think I’d be surprised.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zoolander on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Oh man, oh man...
    Torches.jpg

Fucking comedy gold. Whoopi!

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The cracked thing was fucking hilarious.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The video is terribly rage inducing.

Palin has so far replied to beng asked to respond to Joe Biden by saying "I'm not gonna talk about that, I'm gonna talk about ENERGY!" 3 times in a row. Can I become VP so I could climb down her throat about not answering the question or the points raised?

Junpei on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Oh man, oh man...
    Torches.jpg

I'm trying to place the faces... are those the hosts of The View?

Nerissa on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nerissa wrote: »

Oh man, oh man...
    Torches.jpg

I'm trying to place the faces... are those the hosts of The View?

Yep, see they cast him out for being like frakenstiens monster. Dull and full of attacks on his opponent.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jesus, that site is awesome.

3lwap0 on
This discussion has been closed.