As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ultimatum: House Of M Meets World's End?

OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Graphic Violence
ultimatumteaserbuq9.png
ultmtm002teasebjr0.png
ultmtmtease5bze2.png
ultimatum20081009012453xd8.png

In November, Marvel promises to change the face of the Ultimate Marvel-verse forever when Jeph Loeb (currently infamous writer of Hulk and Ultimates 3) teams up with David Finch to produce Ultimatum. While most event mini-series tend to always promise the 'change the face' bit, the fact that Ultimate Spider-Man's the only guaranteed surviving title out of the current Ultimate line tends to give Ultimatum's broom-sweeping status more credence. Here's what we know so far (spoiler-boxed just in case)...
- Magneto's playing the bad-guy for the most part, ticked off after events in Ultimates 3 forced him to cross a name or two off his family's Christmas Card list.
- The villain behind the villain however seems to be Doctor Doom (or at least another Doombot). Considering U-Doom's made completely of metal (either way), winding up Magneto and sending him against the world's heroes in a hopefully take-each-other-out battle works well for him.
- While the Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four titles are closing their doors, they'll be going out in connected stories to Ultimatum staring Rogue and The Thing respectively. Both teams seem to be too busy to show up completely as recent events involving drugs made out of the first mutant, the appearance of Agatha Harkness and Hydra, and a look at both teams' future selves have left them somewhat fractured.
- Artist David Finch really needs a more flattering picture for his Wikipedia entry.
David_Finch%2C_convention.jpg

Owenashi on

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Damn, that IS a badass poster. As for that David Finch picture I did meet him at a Con and not only does he still look like that he's covered in ink. Very cool guy though, he was doing full commitions(sp?) and I should have got one.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll let everyone tell me how it is before putting any money down. That strategy worked for Ultimates 3, and I think it'll work here too.

Robos A Go Go on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll let everyone tell me how it is before putting any money down. That strategy worked for Ultimates 3, and I think it'll work here too.

I don't read anything Ultimates related except for occasional USM hardcovers and tpbs I can find discounted so I'm already in the clear.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Damn, that IS a badass poster

Man, are you kidding? That's the stupidest tagline I've ever seen.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Damn, that IS a badass poster

Man, are you kidding? That's the stupidest tagline I've ever seen.

It's just the generic prattling of a megalomaniac, which is neither badass nor exceptionally stupid in my book, The Book of Taglines and How I Feel About Them.

Robos A Go Go on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i dont really read ultimates, but
    is that thor's hammer, and does ult. thor have the whole 'he who is worthy' yada yada thing?

PantheraOnca on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think it's kind of a cool tagline. I don't know much about Ultimate Magneto, but 616 Magneto always likes to play up the Mutants are gods thing.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i dont really read ultimates, but
    is that thor's hammer, and does ult. thor have the whole 'he who is worthy' yada yada thing?
    It wasn't until Loeb got a hand on it.

Fencingsax on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    (a) I hate seeing "Super-jacked Magneto". The man should look strong, but he shouldn't be more muscular than someone like Cyclops.
    (b) I hate the 616 stone Mjolnir....why they introduced that in Ultimates 3 I'll never know. After loving Ultimates 1 and 2, it is so disappointing for 3 to be such a nightmarish mistake.
    (c) U.Doom...ugh.

mattharvest on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ultimate doom is such a badass

Mai-Kero on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I can't wait until they put Ultimate Power, Ultimates 3, and Ultimatum in a big ol' ominbus and title it Jeph Loeb Kills The Ultimate Universe.

I think I'd buy that. It'd be a great coffee table book.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm cautiously optimistic about Ultimatum

I'm cautious because of how incredibley terrible Ultimates 3 was

I'm optimistic because I know Bendis and Millar were heavily involved in the planning of this event, and I have a hard time believeing they would let Jeph Loeb completley destroy thier universe.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As long as Ultimate Spider-Man remains largely unchanged I'm ok with whatever.

deadonthestreet on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Isn't Ultimatum and its assorted tie-ins being written entirely by Jeph Loeb and whatever chucklefucks he managed to wrangle away from shitting out Heroes scripts?

I was under the impression that Bendis' interaction with the project amounted to him telling Loeb not to fuck up Ultimate Spider-Man too badly, and I figured Millar's too busy with his own little mini-event and all his Hollywood stuff to worry about Loeb fucking up the Ultimate line.

Munch on
    edited October 2008
    Actually one of the Heroes writers is pretty good, he's doing the SI: Inhumans tie-in which is kick ass

It's the same guy who wrote the episode "Company Man" which is so much better than every single other episode of Heroes it may as well be a different show.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ugh Jeph Loeb.

Are they getting rid of multiple books? I thought it was just 1.

My money is on Ultimate Xmen if it is just one. Boy did that become a clusterfuck after Kirkman came aboard. Ultimate FF isn't really in dire need of a reboot like Ultimate Xmen is, so I wouldn't mind it coming out unscathed. I mean, Ultimates could use a reboot back to right after Ultimates 2, but since its Loeb writing, that isn't going to happen.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2008
    Loeb is terrible and thus this event will be terrible.

Dareth Ram on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So terrible.

Bloods End on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    augh

Synthetic Orange on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ultimate Doom is really Gilda

Fencingsax on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Any of you guys listen to the latest "Loeb Report" from the Word Balloon podcast? Loeb says that Doom's not necessarily behind everything just that he messed with Ultron.

I'll probably be checking this out just like I did with Ultimates 3 but I secretly be hating myself for doing so.

smokmnky on
    edited October 2008
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Ugh Jeph Loeb.

My money is on Ultimate Xmen if it is just one. Boy did that become a clusterfuck after Kirkman came aboard. Ultimate FF isn't really in dire need of a reboot like Ultimate Xmen is, so I wouldn't mind it coming out unscathed. I mean, Ultimates could use a reboot back to right after Ultimates 2, but since its Loeb writing, that isn't going to happen.

Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate FF are both ending

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fucking hell. Ultimate FF sucks so bad right now. Horrid art, silly fucking ideas (a monster who is 7 people and also a psychiatrist who also needs super-fire to kick-start eggs that jesus fuck it's a stupid monster). But I want them to get a new writer/artist, not kill it. I loved the initial run.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Ugh Jeph Loeb.

Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate FF are both ending

Does that mean they are being "reset"? Or are they just ending the series of both?

Drakeon on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fucking hell. Ultimate FF sucks so bad right now. Horrid art, silly fucking ideas (a monster who is 7 people and also a psychiatrist who also needs super-fire to kick-start eggs that jesus fuck it's a stupid monster). But I want them to get a new writer/artist, not kill it. I loved the initial run.

It really is a shame because I thought that UFF used to be one of the better books Marvel was putting out.

I'm having a hard time believing that they're going to pair the Ultimate universe down to just 1 book though.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • CharcoalNinjaCharcoalNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Having just recently read the "Red Hulk beats Thor with his own hammer book" (I know I'm behind the curve) I will definately not be touching anything written by Loeb with... well let's just say that should a pole exist large enough that even his ridiculous abortion of a Hulk character couldn't lift it, it STILL wouldn't be long enough.

And cinderblock Thor's hammer is stupid.

http://henshinjustice.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/Thor03CoverA.jpg

Me likey this hammer.

I seriously need to get off my ass and buy up all of the new Thor.

Seriously.

EDIT: Personally I would prefer if the handle was longer so Thor could get a decent 2 handed grip on that bad boy. I love the long handled 2 handed hammer look. It's just more badass.

CharcoalNinja on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Having just recently read the "Red Hulk beats Thor with his own hammer book" (I know I'm behind the curve) I will definately not be touching anything written by Loeb with... well let's just say that should a pole exist large enough that even his ridiculous abortion of a Hulk character couldn't lift it, it STILL wouldn't be long enough.

And cinderblock Thor's hammer is stupid.

http://henshinjustice.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/Thor03CoverA.jpg

Me likey this hammer.

I seriously need to get off my ass and buy up all of the new Thor.

Seriously.

EDIT: Personally I would prefer if the handle was longer so Thor could get a decent 2 handed grip on that bad boy. I love the long handled 2 handed hammer look. It's just more badass.

Seriously do. It's great.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited October 2008

It really is a shame because I thought that UFF used to be one of the better books Marvel was putting out.

I'm having a hard time believing that they're going to pair the Ultimate universe down to just 1 book though.

Miller is talking about something big that he's writing for twelve issues. I remember someone say Ultimate Avengers, but I'm not sure.

Dareth Ram on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008

actually, there's a reason that it's not a two-handed hammer-
    According to Norse myth, Loki the trickster cuts off the hair of the goddess Sif as part of a cruel jest. Threatened with grave physical harm by Thor, Loki escapes his fate by promising to fetch replacement hair from the dwarf smiths. Loki commissions the hair from the sons of Ivaldi and the obliging dwarves also make a magic ship and spear as gifts for the gods. Loki is convinced that no one can match their workmanship, and challenges a dwarf named Eitri to make finer treasures. Eitri first makes a golden ring; then a golden boar and finally begins work on a hammer. Loki begins to panic at the sight of the treasures, and fearful that he would lose the wager, transforms himself into a mayfly and stings Eitri's assistant on the brow as he is working the bellows for the forge. The assistant stops for a moment to wipe away the blood, and the bellows fall flat - the end result being that the hammer is shorter in the handle than Eitri had originally intended.

Despite this, the Norse gods consider Eitri to have forged the greater treasures, and in retaliation the sons of Ivaldi sew Loki's lips shut. Odin uses the hammer - called Mjolnir by Eitri - and eventually passes the hammer to his son Thor, who must first prove he is worthy to wield the weapon.

basically, as with most things that go wrong in asgard, it happened because loki's a dick.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited October 2008

Ultimates 4 is still coming out, so we have that to look forward too :|

Drakeon on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like UFF, but UXM totally missed the point of the Ultimate universe. They started fresh...then crammed 100 existing characters and plotlines into the book as fast as they possibly could.

I'm honestly not sure I could tell you which characters are actually on the X-Men team right now.

Scooter on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    Personally I would prefer if the handle was longer so Thor could get a decent 2 handed grip on that bad boy. I love the long handled 2 handed hammer look. It's just more badass.

onslaughtreborn2cql8.jpg

Owenashi on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    all of the hair around his head kind of makes him look like a lost soul from doom

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Ultimate Universe is going to be five books after Ultimatum, up from four + the occasional mini.

Three of them are: Ultimate Spider-Man (Still by Bendis and Immonen), Ultimate Avengers (By Millar. It's supposed to be, basically, Ultimate Black-Ops) and. . .New Ultimates (By Loeb). Which, I guess, is replacing Ultimates 4.

What the other two are, I have no idea.

Lynx on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    I like UFF, but UXM totally missed the point of the Ultimate universe. They started fresh...then crammed 100 existing characters and plotlines into the book as fast as they possibly could.

I'm honestly not sure I could tell you which characters are actually on the X-Men team right now.
    As far as I'm concerned, my own personal fanboy canon has UXM ending when Vaughan left.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited October 2008
    Speaking of missing the point of the Ultimate Universe, I'm really pissed Ultimate Thor slid back into mainstream Thor. He lost his awesome axe-hammer-thing (for seemingly no reason at all) and started talking with thees and thays again. Mainstream Thor doesn't even talk that way anymore!

Dareth Ram on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Faynor wrote: »
    Personally I would prefer if the handle was longer so Thor could get a decent 2 handed grip on that bad boy. I love the long handled 2 handed hammer look. It's just more badass.

onslaughtreborn2cql8.jpg
    I blame everything bad in the world on this.

The Muffin Man on
    edited October 2008
    look Loeb's name is on it

Dareth Ram on
    edited October 2008
    also lol 90's art

Dareth Ram on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jeph Loeb!

Rob Liefeld!

ALL THE AWESOME

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG