As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Week - Harvest Edition (10/1/08)

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I can count on one hand issues of Warren Ellis comics that I have liked

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Did you like Thunderbolts?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    Nope

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like Ellis when he's taking things seriously, but I think his random string of obscenities referencing various unspeakable sex acts schtick has gotten tired. It's Ellis at his laziest, and now that the novelty's long since worn off there's no value to it at all.

It was a random blog post, I think you're being a bit nit-picky.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I can count on one hand issues of Warren Ellis comics that I have liked

Expand.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited October 2008
    the first 2 issues of Ultimate Human

Astonishing X-Men #26

uh I guess some of his UFF run was ok? Although I don't really remember much of it.

And before you ask no I havent read Planetary and yes I still plan to. It's pretty much his work for hire stuff I can't stand. (Although I did read a miniseries by him called Ocean that was also not very good)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    I heard his Hellblazer was good too.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    I'd rather read Mike Carey's Hellblazer because I already know I love his stuff

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd rather read Mike Carey's Hellblazer because I already know I love his stuff

All His Engines was a helluva one-shot. Even better than his work on the ongoing.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zampanov wrote: »
    I like Ellis when he's taking things seriously, but I think his random string of obscenities referencing various unspeakable sex acts schtick has gotten tired. It's Ellis at his laziest, and now that the novelty's long since worn off there's no value to it at all.

If you read his Twitter, this is all it reads like. "Hello internet I demand your worship" and "I'm going to shoot black thought-semen into your soft brains". Out of any five given Twitter-posts, you can expect one to mention how early/late it is and how he's still/already awake and how he needs caffeine/whiskey/caffeinated whiskey, and one to mention that he's going to the pub to do some writing now (and you are invited). One out of fifteen to twenty posts will mention how the weather in his part of England is grey and rainy, and how he loves it. I mean, yeah, it was a random blog post, but since all of his posts are basically the same in content, it wouldn't matter which random blog post you picked.

This is especially tragic because when he's not trying to be offensive, he actually writes some thoughtful and interesting things. I absolutely love Warren Ellis the Comic Book Writer, but it wasn't until I read his blog and Twitter that I realized I rather don't like Warren Ellis the Person.

Delduwath on
    edited October 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »

If you read his Twitter, this is all it reads like. "Hello internet I demand your worship" and "I'm going to shoot black thought-semen into your soft brains". Out of any five given Twitter-posts, you can expect one to mention how early/late it is and how he's still/already awake and how he needs caffeine/whiskey/caffeinated whiskey, and one to mention that he's going to the pub to do some writing now (and you are invited). One out of fifteen to twenty posts will mention how the weather in his part of England is grey and rainy, and how he loves it. I mean, yeah, it was a random blog post, but since all of his posts are basically the same in content, it wouldn't matter which random blog post you picked.

This is especially tragic because when he's not trying to be offensive, he actually writes some thoughtful and interesting things. I absolutely love Warren Ellis the Comic Book Writer, but it wasn't until I read his blog and Twitter that I realized I rather don't like Warren Ellis the Person.

It sounds like you don't like Warren Ellis the Person because you're still holding him up as Warren Ellis the Comic Book Writer when you make that analysis. But I don't know you, so it could just be that you really don't like the guy. Your description sounds entertaining enough to me. I'd hang out at the pub with Warren Ellis.

Besides, who the fuck has a twitter that actually has thought-provoking or useful in any way information on it? It might be addictive, but it is one of the dumber internet ideas ever.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the first 2 issues of Ultimate Human

Astonishing X-Men #26

uh I guess some of his UFF run was ok? Although I don't really remember much of it.

And before you ask no I havent read Planetary and yes I still plan to. It's pretty much his work for hire stuff I can't stand. (Although I did read a miniseries by him called Ocean that was also not very good)

While I still like most of his work-for-hire stuff, most of his own works are waaay better.

Ocean (That's the one about one of Jupiter's moons, right?) was kinda weird; a bit schizophrenic. I don't think he was really sure what he was trying to do there.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited October 2008
    It sounds like you don't like Warren Ellis the Person because you're still holding him up as Warren Ellis the Comic Book Writer when you make that analysis. But I don't know you, so it could just be that you really don't like the guy. Your description sounds entertaining enough to me. I'd hang out at the pub with Warren Ellis.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with someone screaming "COCKS!" every once in a while (and I won't deny doing so myself); it's just that when the only thing I hear a person say is "cocks semen worship me caffeine semen semen", it eventually becomes a little...like, I got it, you know? Let's talk about potato chips now, or something. I don't know if this is how Ellis really is, or if it's just an Internet persona he puts on. He might be fun to hang out with once in a while, but it's irritating to read his blog on a regular basis (which is why I don't do it).
    Besides, who the fuck has a twitter that actually has thought-provoking or useful in any way information on it? It might be addictive, but it is one of the dumber internet ideas ever.

Certainly a legitimate point, but I'm not saying that I expect a treatise on the energy crisis, I would just like a little bit of variety in what he throws up there.

Delduwath on
    edited October 2008

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with someone screaming "COCKS!" every once in a while (and I won't deny doing so myself); it's just that when the only thing I hear a person say is "cocks semen worship me caffeine semen semen", it eventually becomes a little...like, I got it, you know? Let's talk about potato chips now, or something. I don't know if this is how Ellis really is, or if it's just an Internet persona he puts on. He might be fun to hang out with once in a while, but it's irritating to read his blog on a regular basis (which is why I don't do it).

Certainly a legitimate point, but I'm not saying that I expect a treatise on the energy crisis, I would just like a little bit of variety in what he throws up there.

Yeah, I just did a quick skim of his twitter account and I find it just about as uselessly entertaining as I imagined. Looks just to be a question of taste in humor.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

You should probably read Planetary. It's quite different from most of his stuff. The dialogue's still kind of trying-too-hard-to-be-edgy but as a series it's more about the big ideas and unravelling the mystery.

I think he's become of a victim of his own success to some degree. Transmet was amazing and everyone raved about it when it first came out because it was different but if you read it now knowing that that's what all his stuff reads like it seems kind of played out.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
    edited October 2008
    What I'm getting from all this is that lots(perhaps) of you didn't like Warren Ellis, you just liked the novelty of Warren Ellis in the beginning.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    edited October 2008
    I've never liked Warren Ellis

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    I've never liked Warren Ellis

Yeah, I caught that earlier. You're the OWEH. Meh, that's really not as catchy as OG.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2008
    I didn't mind the first trade of The Authority that I read, but it didn't really make me want to read more of it. Everything else I've read has been awful to mediocre at best. Like Bale, though, I do want to read Planetary.

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2008
    fray wrote: »
    You should probably read Planetary. It's quite different from most of his stuff. The dialogue's still kind of trying-too-hard-to-be-edgy but as a series it's more about the big ideas and unravelling the mystery.

I did read it. Everyone should read it. It's awesome. Like I said, I like him as a writer, and one of the reasons, in fact, is that although he sticks to roughly the same themes in many of his works, they are still pretty different.
    fray wrote: »
    I think he's become of a victim of his own success to some degree. Transmet was amazing and everyone raved about it when it first came out because it was different but if you read it now knowing that that's what all his stuff reads like it seems kind of played out.

Not ALL of it. That's what I was saying: what he says in his blog sounds a lot like Spider Jerusalem, but Elijah Snow, Tony Stark, and The Captain don't.

Delduwath on
    edited October 2008
    Not ALL of it. That's what I was saying: what he says in his blog sounds a lot like Spider Jerusalem, but Elijah Snow, Tony Stark, and The Captain don't.

That's because, as much as Spider was Hunter S. Thompson, he was also sort of a self-insert.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Look Transmet is still great fuck all y'all
    Anyway
    Got a ride to the mall today and picked up Invincible
    The look on Oliver's face at the very end
    Ho. Lee. Shit.

Me Too! on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Look Transmet is still great fuck all y'all
    Anyway
    Got a ride to the mall today and picked up Invincible
    The look on Oliver's face at the very end
    Ho. Lee. Shit.

MAJOR HUGE INSANE-O-CRAZY SPOILERS REGARDING ISSUE #52 OF INVINCIBLE
    Invincible_052_011.jpg

Invincible_052_012.jpg

Invincible_052_013.jpg

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited October 2008
    OH
    FUCK
    ME

Just that first panel made me shit myself

Me Too! on
    edited October 2008
    Oh, durr, I forgot #53 came out today.

Mild spoilers ahead.
    Invincible stops Titan as he tries to enter the prison to free Multi-Paul, but their "fight" is interrupted.

inv53_014.jpg

inv53_016.jpg

inv53_021.jpg

inv53_022.jpg

Wow, so now Invincible has Angstorm Levy(?) going through Atom Eve, a supervillian syndicate war (not pictured), and Cecil going after him through Oliver. Things is gonna get ugly and soon.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited October 2008
    All Asian men have the ability to turn into humongous dragons.

We just don't like to brag about it.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    All Asian men have the ability to turn into humongous dragons.

We just don't like to brag about it.

Then I guess the reason he's a supervillian is because that's actually his soul projection.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited October 2008
    Ok so who is the huge fucking dragon
    I must've missed that, since I just started reading 7 or 8 issues (or a year and a half) ago.

Me Too! on
    edited October 2008
    I must've missed that, since I just started reading 7 or 8 issues (or a year and a half) ago.

He's the soul projection of Mister Liu, leader of the Supervillian crime syndicate "The Order." Titan, after taking over Machine-Head's operation, attempted to secure his place in The Order by rescuing Liu's agent Multi-Paul, who was apprehended by Invincible a while back when he freaked out over his sister Dupli-Kate's marriage to Immortal.

Here's a brief excerpt from #53 with him, I don't have any of my old scans available or I'd show where he was introduced.
    liu.jpg

inv53_018.jpg

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2008

You didn't read the older stuff first?

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2008

Mild spoilers ahead.
    Wow, so now Invincible has Angstorm Levy(?) going through Atom Eve,.

What? I don't remember this being set-up/referenced. When did this happen?

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2008
    Keith wrote: »

Couldn't find it, didn't have money, and I had read most of the spoilers
    It's not like it was hard to jump into, I think Oliver was the only thing I hadn't read about yet

Me Too! on
    edited October 2008

Mild spoilers ahead.

hurglhburgh, it's in #51 or #52, I'll look it up for you. I might have worded it poorly.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited October 2008

Couldn't find it, didn't have money, and I had read most of the spoilers
    It's not like it was hard to jump into, I think Oliver was the only thing I hadn't read about yet

I'm not saying it's hard to jump into, I just usually like to read all of something instead of jumping in 40 issues or so in (unless it's a long ongoing series). But to each his own, I guess.

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2008

Mild spoilers ahead.

It was issue #51
    Invincible051Page021.jpg

Invincible051Page022.jpg

It seems unlikely Oliver would be involved with Levy, but I guess that's the only explanation. To clarify, Eve is probably going to be used as an unwilling tool against Invincible, whereas Oliver seems to be actively seeking his downfall.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't think Eve has anything to do with Levy, he was just watching them

Sars_Boy on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can I just make the fact this is like 4 issues in a row that Invincible has been on schedule my MOTW? It's such a pleasant surprise to see Kirkman finally buckling down on his Image stuff now that his Marvel stuff is out of the way.

werehippy on
    edited October 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    I don't think Eve has anything to do with Levy, he was just watching them

Yeah, that's what I was failing horribly at trying to say.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I only buy the trades, so it's possible this will play out better for me in trade, but I have one pretty serious concern:
    One of the rather interesting things about Mark's pathos was his having killed Angstrom Levy out of a combination of anger regarding the threats against his family, and his latent rage and strength. By removing that death - freeing Mark from from that concern - I feel like we diminish Mark's character a bit. It's not major, but it's there.

More seriously, I just don't like "back from the dead" moves, so seeing Levy back is unpleasant.

mattharvest on
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I'm surprised Kirkman did that.

Robos A Go Go on