As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Religulous

RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
religulous-teaser-poster.JPG

Trailer

Religulous is a movie by Bill Maher, where he talks to and asks questions of a lot of religious people. In my opinion the results are often hilarious. It's aimed at atheists, agnostics and moderates/doubters, with one of the main messages being that it's not a good idea to have people in charge who think the end times could come in the form of a nuclear war. However there's a lot of lightheartedness in the discussions and there were a lot more humorous moments than I was expecting.

My favorite parts were that bald priest in the Vatican, the interview with the senator, and the house full of devices that allow you not to "work" on the sabbath.

Hopefully this won't devolve into a religion debate, but, discuss!

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
RandomEngy on

• Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    The closest theater playing it is 170 miles away from me...I hate Louisiana. I was looking forward to this movie, and I hate to say it but I hope it gets put online soon.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It looks like a really good movie, and judging from Bill Maher's interview on TDS, it seemed like his whole objective was to make a comedy, so I don't think this movie will really try to go out of it's way to try to offend religious types.

Locust76 on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Locust76 wrote: »
    It looks like a really good movie, and judging from Bill Maher's interview on TDS, it seemed like his whole objective was to make a comedy, so I don't think this movie will really try to go out of it's way to try to offend religious types.
    And I'm sure religious types will go out of their way to be offended. :)

I saw the TDS interview and what he said there and what I saw of the movie (talking about scientology while dressed up like a bum) was pretty sharp. I doubt the movie is ever going to be released outside the US, but I think it's good movies like this are being made. Sometimes you just need someone laughing the face of religion.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

My understanding based on a few reviews is that this is largely true until about 3/4 of the way through, when it suddenly gets all serious and "Religion will destroy us all" on you.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aldo wrote: »

I saw the TDS interview and what he said there and what I saw of the movie (talking about scientology while dressed up like a bum) was pretty sharp. I doubt the movie is ever going to be released outside the US, but I think it's good movies like this are being made. Sometimes you just need someone laughing the face of religion.

Religious types were extremely offended that NPR's Fresh Air had Maher and Charles on to talk about Religulous. So much so that NPR's web staff had to banhammer some of the comments and even post a reminder for people to keep it civil. This is NPR I'm talking about! :lol: You can also check out The Daily Show's new forum to see the mountains of backlash posted about Maher's appearance on there.

This film is showing at a local theater, and I'm sure there will be a bunch of fundies protesting it. This area is crawling with them. About every week there's a Letter to the Editor in my local paper evoking His name and Lord this, true God, Jesus says, and so on. I'm sure I'll get to read a whole bunch more with an article yesterday saying,

"Yes, I couldn't help but notice that Ms. Palin was probably going to be pretty good for my movie," he says, flashing that trademark -- and just a tad smug -- Maher grin.

"It's scary that a country that just went through eight years of an anti-intellectual, anti-science, Jesus-freak president, and saw him drive the country into a ditch, still can't connect the dots."

Bewildered_Ronin on
    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Religious types were extremely offended that NPR's Fresh Air had Maher and Charles on to talk about Religulous. So much so that NPR's web staff had to banhammer some of the comments and even post a reminder for people to keep it civil. This is NPR I'm talking about! :lol: You can also check out The Daily Show's new forum to see the mountains of backlash posted about Maher's appearance on there.

This film is showing at a local theater, and I'm sure there will be a bunch of fundies protesting it. This area is crawling with them. About every week there's a Letter to the Editor in my local paper evoking His name and Lord this, true God, Jesus says, and so on. I'm sure I'll get to read a whole bunch more with an article yesterday saying,

"Yes, I couldn't help but notice that Ms. Palin was probably going to be pretty good for my movie," he says, flashing that trademark -- and just a tad smug -- Maher grin.

"It's scary that a country that just went through eight years of an anti-intellectual, anti-science, Jesus-freak president, and saw him drive the country into a ditch, still can't connect the dots."

No offence to any sane people on the Comedy Central's forums/comments. But I glanced over the Indecision blog once and read some comments and I don't think I ever want to read through any of that again. :?

Aldo on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The movie seems like, "Bill Maher asks the questions about religion that anyone with any intellectual curiosity has already asked themselves." I mean, I'm more than capable of pointing out everything that doesn't make sense about other people's faiths. Why would I shell out money to have someone do it for me, unless of course they have something more to offer?

If it turns out that he does have something beyond obvious commentary and snide humor, I might watch, but otherwise I can just read the Atheists thread and save myself a few bucks.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The movie seems like, "Bill Maher asks the questions about religion that anyone with any intellectual curiosity has already asked themselves." I mean, I'm more than capable of pointing out everything that doesn't make sense about other people's faiths. Why would I shell out money to have someone do it for me, unless of course they have something more to offer?

If it turns out that he does have something beyond obvious commentary and snide humor, I might watch, but otherwise I can just read the Atheists thread and save myself a few bucks.
    Did you also dislike Der Untergang because you could just look up the story on Wikipedia?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Personally, I'd like the see the interview with the Vatican guy who's like, "yeah, the whole Jesus resurrection thing is a bunch of bologna." I want to see it because I like Bill Maher and I want to laugh at some of the wackos he interviews. It's not being billed as serious or hard-hitting, it's a comedy and I doubt this movie is going to really inform or persuade anyone.

So, in your case, it might be best to save your money and maybe rent it on NetFlix or catch it on TV in a year or two.

Bewildered_Ronin on
    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am very much looking forward to this.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Did you also dislike Der Untergang because you could just look up the story on Wikipedia?

I actually did like that film.

Not that I understand why you brought it up. Predictability in a historical film that is known for the strength of its performances is a far cry from a humorous documentary that documents only well-worn ground.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Not that I understand why you brought it up. Predictability in a historical film that is known for the strength of its performances is a far cry from a humorous documentary that documents only well-worn ground.

Not everyone is as sure of their footing where religion is concerned as yourself.

theSquid on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't think I can bring myself to watch this.

I really fucking hate religious peoples.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited October 2008

What makes you think there is no strength in the performance of Maher is pulling off? I don't think I want to go out of my way to stand up for a movie I haven't even seen, but the fact that people were actually convinced he was just a loon on the street ranting and felt sorry for him sounded pretty interesting.

Aldo on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Personally, I'd like the see the interview with the Vatican guy who's like, "yeah, the whole Jesus resurrection thing is a bunch of bologna."
    What? Who's "Vatican guy", you mean like a Vatican bishop? Who doesn't believe in the resurrection? O_o

EDIT: Not that I think it's impossible that there at least one bishop in the Vatican who doesn't believe... but finding him and getting him to say it openly in front of a camera would be something.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll watch it. I do think it's going to piss a lot of people off... but Maher gets off on that kinda shit.

GungHo on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We saw this yesterday, and it was awesome.

It definitely wasn't made to change anybody's mind, though...just something to entertain/depress people who are already agnostic or atheist.

Although, my religious girlfriend was excited to go see it with me, but she does have a healthy bit of agnosticism and can enjoy laughing at religious nutjobs.

Taximes on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    I'm assuming that anyone who finds Maher to be an arrogant and insufferable rabble-rouser who masturbates at the alter of offending others should give this one a pass, yes?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bill Maher is a douche.

That's about all I have to contribute.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    Personally, I'd like the see the interview with the Vatican guy who's like, "yeah, the whole Jesus resurrection thing is a bunch of bologna."
    What? Who's "Vatican guy", you mean like a Vatican bishop? Who doesn't believe in the resurrection? O_o

EDIT: Not that I think it's impossible that there at least one bishop in the Vatican who doesn't believe... but finding him and getting him to say it openly in front of a camera would be something.
    Not a bishop, a priest. American, by the sounds of it. He was a real riot though. I think he "got" Maher's schtick pretty early on and stopped trying. He definitely came across as one of the cannier interviewees to me.

Overall, it was a fun show. I got some real laughs out of it.

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I didn't know who Bill Maher is (though I can guess based on making a movie about himself and having a giant picture of himself in the clouds as a movie poster), so I looked him up on Wikipedia. No surprise there. Though I was mildly entertained by his comments on 9/11 conspiracy theorists.
    How big a lunatic do you have to be to watch two giant airliners packed with jet fuel slam into buildings on live TV, igniting a massive inferno that burned for two hours, and then think, 'well, if you believe that was the cause...'

Reminds me of the 9/11 Conspiracy club rep we saw at Club Day on campus last year (yes, my old university had a 9/11 conspiracy club for some reason). So me and this girl were walking around the club kiosks looking for cool ones to join, and when we passed near that 9/11 conspiracy one the guy started talking and telling us about the lies. Anyway, after a minute or two of listening to his ramblings, I turn to the girl and say "You can keep listening to him if you want, I'll be standing at a polite distance." She turns back and says "Oh, I thought you were listening to him. Let's go."

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Not a bishop, a priest. American, by the sounds of it. He was a real riot though. I think he "got" Maher's schtick pretty early on and stopped trying. He definitely came across as one of the cannier interviewees to me.

Overall, it was a fun show. I got some real laughs out of it.
    Oh, so he said it as a joke? Alright then, that makes a bit more sense.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    None of the theaters in my town are playing this, nor choke.

Letters have been written.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    They're probably doing you a favor there, Joker.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

It was mentioned on NPR's Fresh Air. (you can hear it by clicking the red speaker button. i think you need flash)

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I was listening to it again to check who the guy was. His name is Father Reginald Foster, he is American and he's the Chief Latinist at the Vatican. He has an office and apartment right down the hall from the pope, according to Maher, but only met Pope John Paul once when he was anointed pope. Larry Charles said when Father Foster was asked about the Jesus resurrection and rising from Hell, Father Foster opined, "Oh, Hell. That's a bunch of nonsense." Maher later noted that Foster basically summed up the bible as, "you know, people need their stories."

Bewildered_Ronin on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I'm assuming that anyone who finds Maher to be an arrogant and insufferable rabble-rouser who masturbates at the alter of offending others should give this one a pass, yes?

Good to know I'm not the only one who finds Maher to be a smug, arrogant shit.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    They're probably doing you a favor there, Joker.

I'm less disapointed by Religulous, more disapointed by the lack of choke.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bill Maher is a smug, arrogant shit who's right a lot of the time.

Also I envy him and his perverted snorting-coke-off-a-Thai-hooker's-tits ways.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

The Archbishop of Canterbury has said Christians don't need to believe in the Virgin Birth.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    box office estimates put an estimate for $1.1 million for friday

that's rather well for only being released in 502 theatres

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The theater I saw it in was rather empty for opening day, although we did see it at 4pm.

I was surprised...we were like the only people there under 45, too. If I had to pick a general demographic that this movie would not appeal to it would be seniors, who tend to be more religious, but there were 10-15 older people watching it with us.

Taximes on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

It was mentioned on NPR's Fresh Air. (you can hear it by clicking the red speaker button. i think you need flash)

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I was listening to it again to check who the guy was. His name is Father Reginald Foster, he is American and he's the Chief Latinist at the Vatican. He has an office and apartment right down the hall from the pope, according to Maher, but only met Pope John Paul once when he was anointed pope. Larry Charles said when Father Foster was asked about the Jesus resurrection and rising from Hell, Father Foster opined, "Oh, Hell. That's a bunch of nonsense." Maher later noted that Foster basically summed up the bible as, "you know, people need their stories."
    Hey, I actually heard about him before! Not for this though. One of my friends is a prof of Roman history and culture, and his dream is to take Father Foster's Latin conversation course one day.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I went to the early release (the Promo?) and sat behind the professor that Bill interviewed at Grand Central Station in New York (didn't know till my boyfriend and I got out of the theater and two girls ran up to him to ask what he thought of his role in the movie). I overall enjoyed it and I also learned a few things I hadn't previously known.

I like that on TDS he didn't stand with Atheists either because they were also certain and he doesn't like certainty. He was basically a guy asking "How do you know for sure that this is true?" and it was fun to see people use something silly to make their case.

Also did anyone else cringe when
    The Arkansas senator was saying "You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate" and laughed. I laughed they showed Bill Maher's reaction and then the senator went from a full laugh to a chuckle to a "o_o".

My mom is also curious about that amusement park in Orlando, Florida.

And as Taximes said, I too am surprised a lot of 30+ were there including senior citizens. But I guess they won free passes and weren't going to turn it down.

Overall I enjoyed it just as much as I enjoy his tv show on HBO. I think sometimes he can be a dick though, which is why I like that he had people take shots back at him in the movie and on his show. But most of the time I do think he is right about a lot of things.

Mim on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I dunno, I look at this the same way I look at positions that Michael Moore takes that I happen to agree with. I'm glad that the message is getting out into the mainstream, but I wish it wasn't being done by such a smarmy asshole.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I went and saw this with some people last night. It was actually really good (so long as you like Maher in general). And yeah, I was surprised too at how many middle-aged through seniors were there. Definitely out-weighed us 20-somethings by a good 2.5 or 3 to 1.

It stays fairly light-hearted until the very last little monologue he does, however, I absolutely love some of the points that he brings up, things that I think really do need to be mentioned. Like, how the entire story of Jesus is basically copy&pasted out of almost every single (older) religion in the world.

And yeah, the Vatican guy was awesome for being able to stand there and say that no body is going to burn in hell for not believing in the bible.

That, and the Vatican Astronomer who basically said that anyone that believes there is even a hint of science in the bible is an idiot, because the development of modern science was so far removed from the writing of the bible that it just isn't possible.

Over all, I just thought it was a really good movie. Just be prepared for a bit of "Either grow up and out of religion or die." in the ending monologue. Beyond that though, he mostly does it all with a fair dose of light-heartedness.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SAW776 wrote: »
    And yeah, the Vatican guy was awesome for being able to stand there and say that no body is going to burn in hell for not believing in the bible.

I think I just became Catholic again

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If he's just asking questions, using skeptics methods, and mainly going after those who treat faith like an absolute certainty, that's fine. I'm Catholic, and even I'll say that anyone who treats faith as fact obviously doesn't understand what faith is.
    If he goes after religion and tries claiming that anyone who believes in God is automatically an idiot, that's just stupid. Since God can't be disproven, he'd be treating a strong belief (atheism) like fact, and would be no better than the fundies when it comes to his argument style.

It looks like it's going to be the former, in which case, it could be an interesting film.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    I really fucking hate religious peoples.
    Cantido wrote: »
    I think I just became Catholic again

You need to get those mood swings under control dude :P

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If he's just asking questions, using skeptics methods, and mainly going after those who treat faith like an absolute certainty, that's fine. I'm Catholic, and even I'll say that anyone who treats faith as fact obviously doesn't understand what faith is.
    If he goes after religion and tries claiming that anyone who believes in God is automatically an idiot, that's just stupid. Since God can't be disproven, he'd be treating a strong belief (atheism) like fact, and would be no better than the fundies when it comes to his argument style.

It looks like it's going to be the former, in which case, it could be an interesting film.

I would say that he is attacking Religion and not Faith or Spirituality. And I think that there is a big difference between them. He basically takes the stance that organized religion is bad, but that he can totally understand the need to have faith in someone whose on your side.

He mentions that in his 40's, he was going through some shit, and made a deal with God that if He fixed it, he'd give up smoking. He said that at that point in his life, it was important to believe in something, and it actually helped him keep his promise to stop smoking.

He also compares God to an Agent--sometimes you just need to believe that there is someone out there who, while maybe they don't love you, is at least working for you.

Maher makes a point to make idiots out of the Evangelical preachers who ask for money from poor people while they wear $2,000 suits and mountains of gold. He doesn't go after anyone, that I can remember, for simply believing in God. He goes after them for checking their logic and reason at the door and daring to argue that Jonah survived inside of a big fish for three days, but that Jack and the Bean Stalk is just plain silly.

So, yeah. The Torah, Bible, and Koran are what he is trying to tear apart, not the idea of God in the slightest.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mim wrote: »
    Also did anyone else cringe when
    The Arkansas senator was saying "You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate" and laughed. I laughed they showed Bill Maher's reaction and then the senator went from a full laugh to a chuckle to a "o_o".

When that happened the whole theater erupted into laughter. It was pretty much the best part of the movie.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.