As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo 64 Obscure Games Thread: Quality Optional

RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
The Nintendo 64 was a great console. Lots of people had 'em. Games like Super Mario 64 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time still stand up today as great titles with groundbreaking gameplay and slavish attention to quality and fun. However, like most systems and most Nintendo systems in particular, today the N64 is remembered only for a few high-profile games with the majority of the system's library disappearing into the mists of obscurity.

Taking my cue from the obscure PS1 games thread which appeared recently, I figured it might be interesting to take a look back and pool our collective memories of N64 games which no one seems to remember anymore. I personally was in the 12-15 age range when I had my N64, and every weekend I'd rent a different game from the local game retailer, so I experienced a very wide range of games, both highlights and low-lights. A lot of my personal memories of the console are going to be filtered through that period of my life when I was willing to throw myself wholeheartedly into any-damn-thing for a weekend.

And on that note, let me get this ball rolling...

bombermanherogf8.jpg

Bomberman Hero was a bit of an oddball as far as Bomberman games go. There had been a previous game, Bomberman 64, which tried to put Bomberman-style gameplay into the 3D setting, but Bomberman Hero went in a different direction. Instead of trying to rigidly copy the Bomberman formula, Bomberman Hero was a just a 3D platformer starring Bomberman with gameplay only loosely inspired by previous games.

And the results were pretty awesome.

bombermanhero2un5.jpg

Instead of laying bombs as traps, in this game you just threw bombs which exploded on impact. You could also drop and kick bombs, like in previous games, but the toss was your main ability. Bomberman could also charge up and fire a spread of bombs to take out several enemies at once. It made for a really fun mechanic. Nothing like previous Bomberman games, but satisfying as hell.

As you can see on the title screen, the game's other gimmick was that Bomberman could get different attachments which change his powers. He could turn into a jet, a helicopter, a submarine and a...well...a guy on a snowboard. Each of these transformations completely changed the gameplay and were generally levels unto themselves. As Jet Bomberman, the game was basically an on-rails shooter similar to Starfox, whereas Copter Bomberman had a top-down perspective and you drop bombs on bad guys. These sections were fun, although they tended to be a bit annoying to control.

In general, the game just did a lot to change up the gameplay and keep things fresh. In some levels you get ice bombs which allow you to freeze enemies and use them as platforms. Another level had special salt bombs which were the only way to kill slug enemies, but were completely ineffective against regular baddies, so you had to keep switching back and forth. The amount of variety was pretty surprising.

My only real gripe as a kid was with the difficulty. Some of the bosses in particular could be really unforgiving. Bomberman himself was fairly slow so you needed a really fast reaction time if you wanted to dodge some of the enemies and projectiles coming your way. This wasn't a problem in most of the levels proper where a little strategy could get you the upper hand, but in boss encounters where it's just some crazy creature jumping around trying to smack you, it could get frustrating in a hurry.

So that's my opening bid. Share your thoughts. I'd love to see how deep this gets.

While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
Rocketlex on

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Huh. I remember that game looking a lot better than it does in that screenshot.

But I also remember it was furiously difficult. And not in a good way. Too bad, it wasn't that bad of a game aside from that.

Anyway, one of my favorite games on the N64, hands down, that everyone else hated, was Quest64.

Man I <3 me some Quest64. I'd kill for it to be on the VC.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I loved both Bomberman games on 64. As a kid though, getting all those golden cards in the first one was impossible. I remember getting everything in Hero though.

I remember liking Body Harvest, but I also remember screwing myself over somehow and I think I got into a position of "Go kill the aliens but I can't save the people" or "Go save the people but then I run out of time to kill the aliens." That wasn't fun.

Gilder on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    2 words.

SHAKE-SHAKE!

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Body Harvest was a game I always wanted to play, but could never find. I think they also made Blast Corps which was just about my favourite N64 game. The sheer scale of destruction and the variation of vehicles you had made is a damn classic in my books. Pretty damn hard towards the end there too IIRC.

I mean, check out the boxart. How could a kid not think this was anything but awesome
    fe_8.JPG

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The NES and SNES may have been more successful but the N64 is my sentimental favourite console. I was also about 12 when I got one and it's the console that I have the best memories of. I can't tell you how amazed I was playing Mario 64 in a store for the first time, and then switching it on for the first time when I got mine. Magic days.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Syd LexiaSyd Lexia Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Beetle Adventure Racing.

It was a giant fucking advertisement for Volkswagen, but somehow it was good.

Syd Lexia on
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Syd Lexia wrote: »
    Beetle Adventure Racing.

It was a giant fucking advertisement for Volkswagen, but somehow it was good.

Heeeeeey foggy!

Beetle Adventure Racing was fantastic.

Forsaken was great fun in multiplayer as well.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mischief_Makers.jpg

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Mischief_Makers.jpg

fuck yes.

Deaderinred on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I really like Rakuga Kids. Cutesy fighting game.

LewieP on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm betting probably all of two people ever played this:
    19656550157frontat7.jpg

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Thadeus SurgeThadeus Surge Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The day mischief makers comes to virtual console is the day i spend $10.

Thadeus Surge on
  • MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    I really like Rakuga Kids. Cutesy fighting game.

Rakuga Kids had sooo many problems, but the whole style somehow made up for them.

Also:

Goemonsgreatadvbox.jpg

MacGuffin on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyone else play Lamborghini 64? (aka Automobili Lamborghini)

A wholeheartedly mediocre and rather buggy racing game with the standout feature of it having a hilariously awesome theme song. "That's a lap record! Go g-g-go! That's a lap record! GO! GO!"

-SPI- on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Flying_Dragon_for_N64%2C_Front_Cover.jpg

This game was awesome. And by "awesome", I mean "thoroughly mediocre, but I played it a whole lot anyway".

It had some neat elements. It had two different modes that were basically two separate games. "Virtual mode" had realistically proportioned characters and I thought it was incredibly boring and terrible, so I played it like twice, ever. The real mode was "SD", and in addition to actually being reasonably playable and fun it had some neat RPG elements in the story mode. Characters could level up and equip items and such.

I liked it, okay.

Edit: Oh, it is a fighting game in case it wasn't clear.

mntorankusu on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hybrid Heaven is a game I fully endorse.

You can bodyslam pig-men in it!

Also, Body Harvest is fantastic and was the actual precursor to the Grand Theft Auto III games.

Burnage on
  • CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Body Harvest is one of the best games on the system.

a7d08df77c1673870a65b14ebfd2979a.jpg

Space Station: Silicon Valley is also incredible.

space_station_silicon_valley_box.jpg

Beetle Adventure Racing was the best racing game on the N64.

beetle-adventure-racing518401.jpg

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hell yes for Body Harvest. Brutally hard, terrible controls, awful graphics.

Yet fantastic. Never finished it though, furthest I got was the stage set in the US in the '50s.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited October 2008
    Rami wrote: »
    Hell yes for Body Harvest. Brutally hard, terrible controls, awful graphics.

Yet fantastic. Never finished it though, furthest I got was the stage set in the US in the '50s.

That was one of the best levels...

They were all the best levels tbh.

One of my favourite things to do was use the upgraded alien weapons cheat, get in a vehicle and shoot the handheld howitser cannon, which would send the vehicle flying across the gigantic levels...literally flying.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

• CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I'm betting probably all of two people ever played this:
    19656550157frontat7.jpg

I friggen loved Aidyn Chronicles, the game was so massive in scale, I would just wander around. As a result of me loving that game I have ended up calling most of my rpg characters Alaron. Plus I still have the original cart somewhere.

Coreo on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2008
    edited October 2008
    The Siberia level in Body Harvest had one of the most insane moments in any game I've ever played.
    You're in a secret army base or something, and find a guy with tentacles growing out of him begging to be killed. You can't really do anything for him, so you just leave the building -
    THE ENTIRE BUILDING EXPLODES and the man, now turned into a Cloverfield-style monster, comes hurtling towards you through the snowy fog.

Also, zombies plus combine harvester always made me smile.

Edit: Opium, did you just call a Zelda game obscure? Seriously?

Burnage on
    edited October 2008
    Opium wrote: »

That's the best Zelda game, it's a shame it's overshadowed by Ocarina of Time.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

• CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I remember my family planned a trip to go to queensland for a week, that was the same week Majoras Mask came out.

...Let's just say I didn't go sightseeing.

Coreo on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2008
    Fighter's Destiny! I conquered at Fighter's Destiny.

Tube on
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I second Hybrid heaven.

The combat system was fucking awesome.

Rotam on
    edited October 2008
    How obscure was Shadowman? That game was like Zelda's twisted older brother or something. Shame the sequel sucked so much, really.

Burnage on
    edited October 2008
    Oh, I almost forgot!

wargods.png

I'm pretty sure this was a terrible fighting game, but I absolutely loved it.

I really don't remember much about it at all, other than the fact that I would play it for hours at my uncle's house.

WarGods_Screen.jpg

Oh god, Kabuki Jo? Really?

wargodsingamebo2.jpg

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited October 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Oh, I almost forgot!

wargods.png

]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdJxZ2xsaWc&feature=related

It was pretty bad.

[edit]

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

edited October 2008
    Oh god, don't quote all that. :P

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I remember reading the previews in my Nintendo magazines for that game. It was all exciting because they gave the character models real skin or something. It sounded good and seemed to show off the N64's power. Shame it didn't work out.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This looks like fun ... in Bizarro World.

MacGuffin on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Flaying Dragon

This game was awesome. And by "awesome", I mean "thoroughly mediocre, but I played it a whole lot anyway".

It had some neat elements. It had two different modes that were basically two separate games. "Virtual mode" had realistically proportioned characters and I thought it was incredibly boring and terrible, so I played it like twice, ever. The real mode was "SD", and in addition to actually being reasonably playable and fun it had some neat RPG elements in the story mode. Characters could level up and equip items and such.

I liked it, okay.

Edit: Oh, it is a fighting game in case it wasn't clear.

Wow, me and my brother used to play SD mode all the time. I doubt it's aged very well but man was it fun at the time.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • TigTig Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

fucking yes. Such a charming little game. fantastic theme tune as well.

also: Buck Bumble

bb1gj9.jpg

A 3D flying shooter made by Argonaut, who did the original Starfox.

You played as a cyborg bee, fighting a variety of evil cyborg bugs in somebody's garden. The awesomely hilarious reggae theme tune made up for any deficiencies in gameplay or graphics.

Tig on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Body Harvest was awesome. The nuke was one of the coolest sections in any game evar.

Anyone ever play Mace : The Dark Age?

Mace_The_Dark_Age_box.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pcomUBll0Y

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tig wrote: »

fucking yes. Such a charming little game. fantastic theme tune as well.

also: Buck Bumble

bb1gj9.jpg

A 3D flying shooter made by Argonaut, who did the original Starfox.

You played as a cyborg bee, fighting a variety of evil cyborg bugs in somebody's garden. The awesomely hilarious reggae theme tune made up for any deficiencies in gameplay or graphics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGNMVJP_bNU

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Burnage wrote: »
    How obscure was Shadowman? That game was like Zelda's twisted older brother or something. Shame the sequel sucked so much, really.

dont think it was obscure.. game was released on pretty much every platform there was, ps1 (which sucked) n64, dreamcast and pc, the pc and dreamcast are the best versions, the other two have stuff cut.

still one awesomely fantastic game, shame there was no sequel.

yes there was no sequel. ever.

do not talk about such evil things that never existed.

Deaderinred on
  • RolloutRollout Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This was my first Nintendo 64 game.
    49_8.jpg
    4 difficulties, jetpack action and stuff hidden everywhere, I loved it and cherished it until I stopped playing the Nintendo 64, where I lost this game cardtridge not long after.

I barely heard about this game anywhere on the internet, but the hidden codes in this game were a blast. Will buy again this if I comes to the Virtual Console. <3

Rollout on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I ALWAYS wanted to play Aidyn Chronicles, and never got it. :(

If it gets released on VC, I am buying that shit. How does it stand up now?

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If Mischief Makers and Shadows of the Empire come to VC I will buy a Wii that day.

Mr Pink on