As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Viva Phallata/Phalla of Oz: Newbie Phallas! Sour/Village Victories!

Sheep Have WoolSheep Have Wool Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Critical Failures
vivaphallata.jpg

VIVA PHALLATA: NEWBIE PHALLA

Welcome to Piñata Island!

What is Phalla?
Phallas are the Penny Arcade forum version of the party game Mafia. For more information about Phalla on the forums, you should click here.

So how is this a newbie Phalla?
This Phalla is for new players only! If you've played in 5 or fewer Phallas, or you're brand new, this is a great game to play. Why? You'll be playing with other new players, and you'll also be able to get advice from mentor/veteran Phalla players to help improve your play. This game will also be an "Open Setup" with no hidden and/or unusual roles.

What if I'm not a newbie?
You can still participate! Veteran players can act as mentors in this Phalla by posting their comments in DeepSkyBlue while the game is in progress. You should read the rules below about non-player posts below before making a post. Failure to follow the rules will result in you losing your chance at fabulous prizes.
candy.jpg

...Fabulous prizes?
Yes! The mentor/veteran player that is voted Most Helpful by the players will win a fabulous candy pack prize! In addition, the newbie voted MVP by a select group of veteran players will also receive a candy prize of his/her very own!

Wow! Candy! I'm a newbie to Phalla - how do I play?

• After signups have ended, you'll receive a role PM. This PM contains information about the role you will play in the game. This PM should not be shared with another player.

• Follow the Basic Rules:
    The "village" consists of all players in the game. Included in the village is a small number of bad guys. Normally, the bad guys all know one another at the beginning of the game, but nobody else knows anything about anyone other than themselves.

Each day (normally 24-hour period) the village discusses and publically votes for one person to be executed that night. At the same time, the bad guys choose one person to kill each night and PM the name to the narrator.

The good side wins if all of the bad guys die. The bad side wins if the number of good guys is less than or equal to the number of bad guys (on the assumption that at that point, they control the vote plus get their kill, so it's inevitable).

Usually, there will be one or more "special" roles among the good guys (and occasionally among the bad guys). Exactly who holds each role is only known to that person, although how many of each role exist is most often known.

Each night, the narrator gives the details of who died, and normally whether they were a bad guy. Some games also include clues or outright statements if someone who died is a good special.

• Other Rules:
    You may not communicate regarding the game with someone who is dead.

You may not use any anonymous method of communication to discuss the game. Forum-based PMs, external IMs, and e-mails are allowed as long as the person you are talking to knows who you are. Setting up a Proboard can be a good idea, but inform me of the URL if you do so.

You may not use screencaps to "prove" anything to anyone.

• You might also wish to look at the Standard Special Roles, as some or all may be appearing (depending on the number of signups):
    Roles will have different names depending on the theme of the game. Listed below are the usual "generic" terms for each role. Normally, specials exercise their power by communicating with the narrator via PM.

Seer -- once per night can "investigate" a particular person and find out from the narrator if they are a bad guy. Variations of seers may be able to determine a good special as well, although they may be unable to distinguish them from a bad guy.

Vigilante -- once per night can kill a person of their choosing.

Guardian -- once per night can protect someone from any death other than execution by the village. Whether they can protect against multiple attacks on one person in the same night is up to the narrator.

Masons -- a group of good guys, usually of similar size to the group of bad guys, who start the game knowing each other, and that they are all good.

• Vote each day by posting your choice in !red. You can (optionally) retract a vote by posting in !Lime. This is not required, but I do appreciate it. You must vote each day - inactivity = death and/or disqualification.

Each day will end at 10:00 PM Central Daylight Time (UTC -5:00). Any vote or action made after 9:59 PM WILL NOT count.

• Ask questions of the moderator by posting in orange or sending me a PM.

Wow! Candy! I'm a veteran Phalla player - how do I play?
Veteran players who wish to participate by offering advice do not need to sign up. You may post in the thread in DeepSkyBlue while the game is in progress. I may put in a post limit if the thread becomes too spammy. Do your best to avoid making many short posts - longer, single posts keep the thread less cluttered. The rules:
  • Do NOT directly comment on the current game situation. You may offer general advice and answer questions, and you may offer commentary on previous day actions as long as it doesn't influence the current day.

Bad: Rainfall was evil, and Toxic Toys argued for her - you should vote him out today.
    Good: Once you find a baddie, checking the vote records for previous days can be really helpful.

• Do NOT play for the newbies. You are assisting them.

• Do NOT contact a newbie outside of the thread. Your purpose is to give advice to everyone, not to one person in particular.

Failure to follow these rules results in disqualification! When in doubt, send me a PM to ask if something is OK to post. There will be ZERO tolerance of rule violations.

Player Signup List
Players should sign up by posting !sign up.
1. Goose! - Rashberry
2. PotU - Mallowolf (Guard)
3. Altair
4. Orange Soda - Pretztail (Seer)
5. WilDPanthA05
6. MundaneSoul
7. chromdom
8. sportzboytjw - Fizzlybear
9. Doxa
10. moleface - Juicygoose
11. MacGuffin
12. Dyvion
13. DeShadowC
14. Bwanie

Sheep Have Wool on

• Sheep Have WoolSheep Have Wool Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Reserved

Sheep Have Wool on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Inactives will be beaten to death with a shovel.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Vigilantes shouldn't kill their teammates. It is hilarious, though.

Rainfall on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Always, ALWAYS, remember to double-check who you've addressed your PMs to before you hit send.

Wildcat on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am Bluestreak!

Um, wait, I mean, never listen to outed bad guys

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    !Sign Up

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Goddammit Zot, you can't sign up.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    edited October 2008
    I'm Cold Salmon and Hatred

Zot played the other phallas

seems fair to me

edited October 2008
    Always vote for !Zot

Rainfall on
    edited October 2008
    who are you again

whipper snappers

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Always vote for !Zot

Always.

It's hard to get a read on a player until you know their posting style. A helpful player might genuinely be trying to help the good guys, or they could be a bad guy trying to avoid suspicion. A quiet player might be trying to lay low, or could just be a normal villager who doesn't have much to say.

Burnage on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Let me see...
    Viking Phalla
    POTRD
    Gumpy's
    Frosteey's
    OH Dystopia

!Sign Up since I think I just barely qualify.

Goose! on
  • ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Never, ever trust anyone.

Don't ask in a thread if anyone else got a PM stating you have special powers.

And the most important rule? Don't phalla drunk.

Arasaki on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arasaki wrote: »
    Never, ever trust anyone.

This is true. Even if you start in a team (your PM telling you that you're allied with one or more other players, for example), they could still either have dubious motives, or just backstab you for no reason whatsoever.

Burnage on
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Spreadsheeters are always evil

Waiiit.....

crimsoncoyote on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rainfall is always evil

Waiiit.....

Fixed that for you.

Hylianbunny on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A showy epic reveal is essential to good play. Use many colors, 5 point font, and NO bolding. Only use underline.

Thetheroo on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    A showy epic reveal is essential to good play. Use many colors, 5 point font, and NO bolding. Only use underline.

Pictures help, especially those drawn in Paint

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A proper set up is also key. However, don't use "Guess what time it is?" because that is my line.

Thetheroo on
    edited October 2008
    TehSloth wrote: »
    [strike]A showy epic reveal is essential to good play. Use many colors, 5 point font, and NO bolding. Only use underline.[/strike]
    [strike]
    Pictures help, especially those drawn in Paint
    [/strike]
    No.
    [strike]A proper set up is also key. However, don't use "Guess what time it is?" because that is my line.[/strike]

Also no.

EDIT: In fact, only reveal when it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. None of that "oh no I've got 3 votes on me, time to reveal" bullshit

crimsoncoyote on
    edited October 2008
    Let's try to keep the discussion SLIGHTLY more relevant. Also, your advice is likely of limited use until we have more newbie players. Go round some up.

Sheep Have Wool on
  • ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Don't reveal, really. It's pretty bullshit. If you are on your way out, and you want the village to know what they just did, that's one thing.

Revealling to save your skin means either you get vigged or people want to see results.

Sorry SHW :(

Arasaki on
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    !Sign Up

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Rainfall is always evil

Waiiit.....

Fixed that for you.

Sad but true, see the end of Dystopiaphalla.
    Converted on the LAST DAY when team evil won.

Rainfall on
  • AltairAltair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    !Sign Up

Altair on
    edited October 2008
    Let's try to keep the discussion SLIGHTLY more relevant. Also, your advice is likely of limited use until we have more newbie players. Go round some up.

That shouldn't matter so much... they should be actually reading the thread anyway. :winky:

EDIT: I'll go yell at my roommate to signup and play.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    !sign up

Orange Soda on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A bit of meta gaming can help the village. If you notice some just casting a vote but actively posting on other threads, it might mean that my are hiding something.

Does that mean they are bad all the time? No, some good specials like to hide out too to avoid being killed by the mafia.

ALL WAYS BE ACTIVE!
    Tossing out your thoughts can help every one. And I do mean every one.

And sign me up
    :D

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dont' trust Toxic Toys!

And you can't play Toxic! You were in the newbie phallas with me deargod long ago!

lonelyahava on
    edited October 2008
    !sign up

Yesssss! I win.
    The game :winky:

crimsoncoyote on
  • WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    !sign up - onward with the learning and such!

WilDPanthA05 on
    edited October 2008
    !sign up

Yesssss! I win.

Technically sloth wins cause I told him my user name first.

edit: damnit i was like whats this spoil in my post.... fuck i lost the game.

Orange Soda on
    edited October 2008
    !sign up

Yesssss! I win.

Technically sloth wins cause I told him my user name first.

But I told you about the game.

crimsoncoyote on
    edited October 2008
    But I told you about the game.
    Fine fine you can win to... or maybe I can win because you finally told me when a new phalla started?
    Also needs less quote trains :P

Orange Soda on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dont' trust Toxic Toys!

And you can't play Toxic! You were in the newbie phallas with me deargod long ago!

As you play more games you will learn that this is what people refer to as a Grudge vote. Instead of using logic to cast your vote, a person will vote against a person for some wrong that they did. It is used mostly on Day One (The day the game starts). You will also see RNG, or Random Number Generator, to cast a vote.

But the advice to be careful on who to trust is still good advice.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hm, well, I don't know if I still count as a newbie or not.

If so, then !sign up, because I've become a giant phalla whore.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RNG not RGN

and it's more than a grudge vote.. it's a grudge for life.

and they're usually good on Day One. But after that, they can get a little silly.

Never, ever, ever think you know what's going on. You don't.

lonelyahava on
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    !Sign up
    First time playing on these boards, played once before on a camping trip -- I was the last surviving "normal"

chromdom on
    edited October 2008
    Welcome to the boards! Also, I'm not eligible for the candy, but Mundane's signup request reminded me:

Do not edit posts that contain votes.

Sheep Have Wool on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    !Sign up

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)