As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Viva Phallata/Phalla of Oz: Newbie Phallas! Sour/Village Victories!

• Options
    weatheredclownweatheredclown Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Don't vote for somebody just because they have an annoying post restriction.

weatheredclown on
    "Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people with inquisitive minds."
  • Options
    Sheep Have WoolSheep Have Wool Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Role PM's/Opening Narration may go out slightly later than expected, I had forgotten I was supposed to go educate young minds this evening.

Sheep Have Wool on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Signups are now CLOSED. I'll be sending out role PM's, and the game will start at 10:00 PM CDT!

Sheep Have Wool on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Fudgehog.jpg

"Come on, Paulie," Fergy Fudgehog urged his friend, "Langston will NEVER find us in here!"
    Paulie Pretztail paused for a moment outside the entrance to the cave. "Are you sure that's safe, Fergy? I dunno..."
    "Quit being such a baby, Paulie. What could happen to us in there?"
    Paulie shrugged, then followed his friend inside.

"OH FUDGE! RUN!"

Hudson.PNG

Hudson Horstachio was in front of his mirror, practicing poses.

"HUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNN!"

Fergy Fudgehog tore down the path leading to Hudson's house, Paulie Pretztail right behind him.
    "Hudson Hudson Hudson Hudson Hudson Hudson Hudson Hudson HUUUUUUDDDDDDSSSSSOOOON!"

"What's going on, Fergy?" Hudson asked.
    "SOURS!" he exclaimed, collapsing.
    "We've got to get everyone together! We found some Sour candy up in the caves!" Paulie explained. "Hurry!"

A few minutes later, all the piñatas were gathered near the Cannoñata.

"We've got Sours around," Paulie explained. "Fergy and I found some Sour candy in a cave!"
    Franklin Fizzlybear looked worried. "Sour candy! Whoa. That's bad news! You know what it does to us!"
    180px-chipo.jpg

Chortles Chippopotamus guffawed. "Ha! I don't believe it! I found some great candy earlier, and I'm just fine!" He burped loudy. "Excuse me. As I was saying, there's no reason to...." The Chippopotamus looked down at his stomach, worried. "I'm just..." He paused.

"He's swelling up!" Pierre Parrybo shouted. "How can you tell?!" asked Pecky Pudgeon.

Chortles looked up. "I don't feel so...."

BOOM!

Showers of rank, vile looking candy rained down over the collected piñatas.

"OH FUDGE!"
    6a00c2251dc744f21900c2252332f0604a-320pi

"We've got sours among us!" Paulie declared. "We're going to have to find out who's carrying the sour candy -- and there's only one way to do that..."

DAY 1 BEGINS!

OPEN SETUP:

4 Sours
    1 Vigilante
    1 Seer
    1 Guard
    7 Normal Piñatas

Vote for another piñata to break open with !player name, retract with !player name.

Each day will end at 10:00 PM Central Time (UTC -5:00). Any vote or action made after 9:59 PM CDT WILL NOT count.

Veterans, post in DeepSkyBlue and FOLLOW THE RULES.

Also, vets: How about some solid Day 1 advice? Don't forget, the bad guys need love, too.

Sheep Have Wool on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll vote !Bwanie. I bet he's a little sour-feeling right now.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RNGing sportz?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Vote for kicks! It's day 1, have some fun. Anyone who jumps on a bandwagon is probably evil and should be killed, since it's day 1 and everything is random. Don't reveal on day 1, it makes you a horrible person.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tips for playing common village roles:

Seer - A seer is a very important role to the victory of the village. Try not to show your paranoia about dying though, Hiding too much (by not posting) may get you killed by a smart Mafia player. Also if you find someone who is bad, ALLWAYS go though another person you have already Seered as good about outing them. This Brings us to our next person.

Network Head - This is more of a title instead of a role, This person usually appears day 2 or 3 depending on what the Seered network wants to do. Usually hes a prime target to be killed off by the mafia as well since he can control and infulance the other members of the community. (People trust him even more after he kills a badguy).

Guard - After someone speaks out saying they are the network head or even a seer, its your job to protect them. knowing if they are really good isn't something you will know, But if only one person is asking for a guard and you have no better leads they are usally a good person to Guard for that night.

Vig
    - The vig is the towns extra kill. The vigs is a risky role to play early on without a network to help you, usally your better in contacting the network head after day 2 or 3.

Masons - As a mason you usually don't get any powers, Instead you get to know that a few other players are good. You get to start with your own network! Once the Village network had come forward you should PM the network head and tell him your a mason. He will relay this back tomorrow and you and your Mason friends will all be able to join the Network.

Bad Guys. - As being the hostiles to the commiunity of players you have to play your role and try and overcome the above roles in the village. Early on its not wise to try and draw attention to yourself but later on when the network starts to get bigger it becomes much harder to simply follow the bandwagon and post less.

Be ready to vot
    e for your team members if the Network Head is alive has control of the village and your ally has been called for death by him, Its an unwise to try and argue with the network head if he has a Seer confirm on the target. When your ally dies he will show up as evil. You don't want to be the only one who tried to defend him at that point or you might be next.

If the Vig is watching you might end up dead that night as well. But missfires happen. You might not.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Vote for kicks! It's day 1, have some fun. Anyone who jumps on a bandwagon is probably evil and should be killed, since it's day 1 and everything is random. Don't reveal on day 1, it makes you a horrible person.

You tried to kill me once for voting against someone who revealed on day one.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    RNG says !Orange Soda

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Have fun, and don't be a dick to other people!

There are people watching. Watching in the shadows... and judging. But perhaps not out loud. =P

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »

It's a bad idea to vote against someone who pulls a reveal. Give them a chance to prove their abilities. But revealing on day 1 is just a terrible move and I recommend against it.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pretty much randomly, I will vote WilDPanthA05!

chromdom on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

It's a bad idea to vote against someone who pulls a reveal. Give them a chance to prove their abilities. But revealing on day 1 is just a terrible move and I recommend against it.

!Rainfall
    is always evil!

Oh wait. !Rainfall

Let's see here, who joined after me...

!chromdom

Clearly your hatred of the letter E indicates that you are, in fact, evil!

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    An extreme tactic is if you really want some one dead, kill him twice. Most games the guard can only block one kill a night. If you are on the mafia side you can use two of your kills to get rid of some one even if they are guarded.

Again, this is an extreme move and should only be used if needed to get rid of a seer that has revealed or been found out before the village gets a network started.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If i've learned anything lately, it's that, as a seer, finding a normal villager can be just as important as finding a special sometimes. If you find a Mafia member, having a normal villager who can reveal for you while leaving you safe can be vital to making sure you survive long enough to set up a network.

So if you seer someone and they come back normal, don't blow them off, you've just found a new ally. They may not have a power, but they have a voice and a vote, and sometimes that can be the most powerful power.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    !Orange Soda

Someone has to lead the votes, I guess.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

!Rainfall
    is always evil!

Oh wait. !Rainfall

Let's see here, who joined after me...

!chromdom

Clearly your hatred of the letter E indicates that you are, in fact, evil!

I am pretty certain that my lack of the letter E indicates that I am, in fact, not evil! But now I am watching you. Mr. Mundane Soul. Mundane. Normal. Boring. Just what a Sour would want us all to think! "No Sour here, nosiree!" Is that how it goes, Mr. normal boring Mundane? Your mundanity has exposed you!

WilDPanthA05!

MundaneSoul!

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I missed the cut-off on this, but I'm watching you, Sour Mundanity.

chromdom on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Four baddies in a 14-player game creates a very difficult game for the village to win no matter who is playing. If the vote, mafia kill, and vigilante kill all hit random targets, there is a 51% chance that no baddies will be killed in the first night, and a 39% chance that three villagers will die, creating an oppressive 7 good guys vs. 4 baddie scenario (and a potential 2-day flawless mafia victory).

The most important thing, then, is to make sure that the vote is used judiciously. While it is possible to win the game without the village voting out a baddie at all in this game, it relies on the vigilante being perfect in performance over a four-day span. Use posting patterns and voting records to look out for suspicious behaviors - this is easier once a bad guy has been identified to make associations between players. A 50% accuracy rating will be the aim: The village (plus vigilante) will have about 8 kills total to find all four baddies (plus or minus depending on vigilante death and guardianship).

As a vigilante, you will want to always use your kill. If you do not use it, then that is a kill that the baddies may potentially earn later in the game. When the mafia calls a kill, there's a 100% chance of killing a good guy (unless it is blocked) - when you call a kill, that number will certainly be decreased to the village's favor.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    !Goose

I'm going to go blind reading this many colors everyday.

But I'm just a regular ole townie, so if you don't want to waste your vote, don't vote for me.

Goose! on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mr. Blarney loves math. If he isn't spewing as much information as usual, kill him.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ardor loves analyzing. If he isn't spewing as much information as usual, kill him.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Both true. Also if Thetheroo doesn't reveal by day 3, EVIL!

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Of course, one of the things about characterizing players is that if they don't already know how people see them they totally will.

Also, players that exhibit suspicious behavior may have something to hide, like being a bad guy or a good special. Un/fortunately, they act much the same sometimes.

Also, for the bad guys in this game: In my limited experience as a bad guy, we were almost always a cautious lot. For a bad guy (well for anyone in my honest opinion) the first day doesn't have to be wait and see. There will always be people who make accusations, it literally doesn't matter what you do. Plus it's usually your sort doing the accusing a startling amount of the time.

In conclusion: "Bad guys always/never act like that."

There are a whole lot of experts in this game (witness the game thus far), and a whole lot of people that will listen to them. It's just part of the game, so use it if you can.

Seriously on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll vote !Bwanie. I bet he's a little sour-feeling right now.

well your accusation does make me a little sour on the inside, but besides that i'm all candy baby.

i have no idea who to vote for yet, so i'll do that when i get home

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, the 'Signed up after me' Criteria seems to hold up as well as RNG or grudging... but I don't have any grudges, and my RNG is stuck on 6, so !DeShadowC you're my pick for sour candy!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    But I'm just a regular ole townie, so if you don't want to waste your vote, don't vote for me.

Ok

Wait! I see what you did there

!Goose!

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You don't have to listen to anybody (not even us!). Obviously there are times when you need to listen to certain people, but trust your intuition (always!).

Also remember that there's no "wrong" way to play (except completely breaking the rules--there are "good" methods and "bad", but it all depends on how you play it).

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I would expect you to waste your vote, moleface.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well voting for yourself is sort of suspicious. Almost like you're trying to throw people off of your trail.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hmm, yea, I think you might be onto something. !Goose

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    hey helpers, how about some general advise on day 1 tactics?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    (Pseudo-)Random voting is probably your best bet. If you're evil, you don't want to vote your other evil buddies, if you can help it, but keep in mind people will look back at your voting record once someone comes up evil.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For the bad guys, becareful about jumping on a band wagon. At least one of your team mates should toss out a random vote while two of them jump on a bandwagon to make sure the steam is kept on it, but not at the same time. Be sure to spread out your votes.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Regarding Day One; Using a random number generator to choose a player to vote for is one of the time honoured tradition of phalla. A devious player can, of course, use an "RNG" to vote for someone they dislike - or an evil player can "RNG" vote another evil player, to dispel possible suspicions that they are evil later on.

Hiding in bandwagons can be one of the most effective tactics the bad guys can use. If you have a game with 20 players, all of them voting exactly the same way, it's impossible to use voting records to determine anything.

Burnage on
  • Options
    AltairAltair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well voting for yourself is sort of suspicious. Almost like you're trying to throw people off of your trail.
    Wouldn't voting for yourself actually draw attention to you?

Altair on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Altair wrote: »

You'd think so. It's a pretty silly idea in any case.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

But if you try and play it off, it makes people less likely to think you're evil later on. Its a good plan unless someone calls you on it.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

But if you try and play it off, it makes people less likely to think you're evil later on. Its a good plan unless someone calls you on it.

Aka conisdering Goose just came out and stated hes a random villager, someone should probably look into that.

!Goose ... placeholder until later

WilDPanthA05 on
  • Options
    AltairAltair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I dunno, Goose seems too obvious. !Bwanie for now!!

Altair on