As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Geeky messenger bag!

CorakCorak Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, this may be an odd topic, but I am looking for advice on a messenger bag. I need some kind of bag to carry around to classes (in college), books, laptop, etc, as well as something to carry around at cons and other geeky gatherings.

I was given the idea to get some sort of canvas messenger bag and cover it with geeky patches, now... which bag? And which patches?

At the moment I am looking at L.L. Bean, Sunwashed Canvas Bag, but I am open to suggestions... I know plenty of you carry these things around, I saw you at PAX! So speak up!

Then of course... what sort of geeky patches to put on? This is mostly up to me, of course, but I'll show you what I've gathered thus far as options, feel free to give me more ideas (I'll even update the OP)

Star Wars: Either Imperial or Rebel Logo
Star Wars: Boba Fett's Mandalorian Logo
Lost: Dharma (Swan, Pearl, etc)
Transformers: Autobot or Decepticon
WoW: Warlock (in my case), Alliance or Horde
Aliens: Some sort of Weyland-Yutani patch

Those can all fairly easily be found on Amazon and such... I would also LOVE to find Half-life related patches (Combine, Black Mesa, Aperture, etc), and love even more to find Bungie's Marathon related (you know, that pre-Halo game they made).

I live!
Corak on

• RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Order a custom bag from Timbuk2 in Aperture Science or Black Mesa "corporate colors" and then put a patch on so that it looks like some sort of corporate gift.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Are you absolutely sure you want to look really geeky in your classes? I'm a big geek but I don't advertise it like that. I prefer something that a geek would get, but another person would think nothing of it. That way fellow geeks recognize you, but you don't look like a dweeb to other people. If you're cool with it though, more power to you.

I'd totally wear a Lost messenger bag. Something with one of the hatch logos like you describe. It looks like a cool design, but Lost fans will get it. I think that's the safe route to go. If you wear a WoW messenger bag with lots of pins, you'll probably get the really annoying guys that you don't want to talk to hanging around you.

I also agree that Half-life patches/pins would be cool. The logos tend to be really cool looking, not just for the geek factor. Those would go with anything.

It's really more of your comfort level wearing stuff like that in public. You might think it looks cool, but then you get lots of stares on the train and you might have second thoughts. Just think it through what level of geekiness you want to display.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    since when is advertising your geekdom make you a dweeb?

for your wow patches:
    http://www.jinx.com/world_of_warcraft/patches?tcid=1

Rebel symbol:
    http://tinylink.com/?uvoTVdxRqb

For the browncoat in all of us:
    http://www.minotaur.com.au/site.asp?action=detail&ID=712614&area=movie

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Order a custom bag from Timbuk2 in Aperture Science or Black Mesa "corporate colors" and then put a patch on so that it looks like some sort of corporate gift.

I'd actually be interested in acquiring something in the Aperture colors, but apparently I'm incapable of actually creating this with the creator. Halp?

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I kinda like that canvas one from the OP.

-edit-

Except that buckle looks annoying on the front, hard to get into.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Take a look here and see if anything catches your eye.

Edit: And for the record, I totally agree with what Raere said. I have the "You Never Forget Your First Doctor" shirt from Thinkgeek, which I guess everyone here (at school) assumes is some band or something, but which always gets awesome comments from other Doctor Who fans.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That would be Tom Baker.

I like Jandd bags I have used the same one for five years.

Timbuk2 does make a bag with pads for your laptop and room for other stuff.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • CorakCorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »

-edit-

For the record (I've actually seen OP in person), the front buckle is not, in fact, a buckle. It snaps right in, the buckle is just for show. The buckle on the STRAP, however, really is, but that doesn't seem like it would ever get used.

As for the public display, well... for the most part, yeah, I'm totally cool with it. And honestly I have other bags for when more professional displays are needed. This is mostly a con bag.

I will start updating OP with links and such... but has anyone actually found Half-life patches? Links would be appreciated... if they exist...

Corak on
    I live!
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you're interested in Mirror's Edge, when you pre-order from Gamestop you'll get the runner bag from the game:
    mirror_bonusLG.jpg

I sure as hell know I'm gonna use it.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://www.circlered.com/ge3193.html <-- That's the bag I use; it looks ridiculous enough for non geeky people to say "oh, so it's kitsch" but about 500x the awesome when somebody actually recognizes the game. It's a good size for carrying my big laptop around.

Pure Din on
  • stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    If you're interested in Mirror's Edge, when you pre-order from Gamestop you'll get the runner bag from the game:
    mirror_bonusLG.jpg

I sure as hell know I'm gonna use it.

Its a pickup with purchase item (while supplies last), and very... very limited quantity

we have around 10 preorders but are only getting 3-5

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    If you're interested in Mirror's Edge, you're better off with this bundle, which comes with a Timbuk2 bag (which retails for about the same price as the bundle) and the game itself

personally I think the screen printed inner flap looks awful, but the outer logo and red is pretty decent. plus, Timbuk2 bags are awesome.

Monoxide on
    edited October 2008
    Corak wrote: »

-edit-

For the record (I've actually seen OP in person), the front buckle is not, in fact, a buckle. It snaps right in, the buckle is just for show. The buckle on the STRAP, however, really is, but that doesn't seem like it would ever get used.

As for the public display, well... for the most part, yeah, I'm totally cool with it. And honestly I have other bags for when more professional displays are needed. This is mostly a con bag.

I will start updating OP with links and such... but has anyone actually found Half-life patches? Links would be appreciated... if they exist...

Oh, then I kinda want it again.

I need to go to the Timbuk2 store and check theirs out one of these days, I've really been meaning to get a messenger bag.

MuddBudd on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Monoxide wrote: »
    If you're interested in Mirror's Edge, you're better off with this bundle, which comes with a Timbuk2 bag (which retails for about the same price as the bundle) and the game itself

personally I think the screen printed inner flap looks awful, but the outer logo and red is pretty decent. plus, Timbuk2 bags are awesome.

Is it just me, or is Mirror's Edge suddenly missing from EAStore.com?

exis on
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    exis wrote: »

I can't find it either.

mooshoepork on
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My friend Chris used to have the NERV bag from Neon Genesis Evangelion in High School - tons of people commented on the logo and had no idea what it was.

1ddqd on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

-edit-

If you're looking for a con bag and want something really custom, just get a regular plain bag. Then go to the con and buy patches/pins/etc to put on it. With the help of some pins, patches, a small plushie, and a pirate-ninja headband, I turned a $15 Wal-mart sling bag into my favorite piece of geek swag. This way, you can choose a bag based on the merits of bag-ness (size, comfort, useful pockets, etc) rather than on design alone.

YamiNoSenshi on
    edited October 2008
    If you're looking for a con bag and want something really custom, just get a regular plain bag. Then go to the con and buy patches/pins/etc to put on it. With the help of some pins, patches, a small plushie, and a pirate-ninja headband, I turned a $15 Wal-mart sling bag into my favorite piece of geek swag. This way, you can choose a bag based on the merits of bag-ness (size, comfort, useful pockets, etc) rather than on design alone.

You've pretty much completely summarized my goal :)

Hence I will probably stay on the cheaper end... Timbuk2 bags are pretty expensive sadly...

Corak on
    I live!
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A laptop bag that charges your laptop with the power of the sun! You can't get geekier, and girls will still make eye contact with you, unlike bags with obvious star wars themes.

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/11/26/handsome-leather-sol.html (the best in term of style)
    http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/08/25/noon-logan-solar-lap.html
    http://www.voltaicsystems.com/index.shtml

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am still trying to find a good bag onto which I can iron this:

portmantotesj7.jpg

I like the wordnerd stuff, though. I'm not sure if you're into that.

MrMonroe on
    edited October 2008
    exis wrote: »

I can't find it either.

That bag is kinda sweet though.

Now I'm torn between that and the green canvas one.

MuddBudd on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like the Mandelorian patch. Something most people wouldn't pick up on except for Star Wars fans.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I kind of like this Halo 3 bag from ThinkGeek (I prefer the khaki version). I strongly doubt that anyone who isn't extremely familiar with Halo would recognize it - I've played each Halo game through multiple times, and without having already seen the bag I'm not sure I would know it was Halo-related. I said 'Halo' a lot in this post.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Head over to TJ Max/Marshalls/Ross and see what they have. I've even seen some Tumbuk2s in there. Especially since you want to cover it in patches and shit, give it a shot.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • locopostallocopostal Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i've got two timbuk2 bags...and i've gotta say, if you can check them out in person, its definitely a good idea. just to get a feel for which ones you like, right? i bought the first one online, and while its pretty awesome, i wouldn't have bought it if i had seen it next to the one I've got now, that i found at a local store..

locopostal on
    edited October 2008
    locopostal wrote: »
    i've got two timbuk2 bags...and i've gotta say, if you can check them out in person, its definitely a good idea. just to get a feel for which ones you like, right? i bought the first one online, and while its pretty awesome, i wouldn't have bought it if i had seen it next to the one I've got now, that i found at a local store..

Yeah that's my plan this weekend. At least check out the sizes before I order one. (Unless I get that canvas one)

-edit-

Actually after some thought, I want that canvas one.

Now to decide what color...

God I'm picky.

MuddBudd on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    hah! I am so freakin glad I got to this thread before anyone brought up Chrome!
    IMG_2128.jpg
    www.chromebags.com

I've been through a few different kind of messenger bags, and let me tell you something, this bag is fucking awesome. I use it for everything: shopping, camping, going to musical festivals, Cons, Schools, riding my bike, you name it it can do it. It's waterproof, super heavy duty (seriously, I fucking abuse the ever loving shit out of mine and you would never know it) which doesn't really matter because it comes with a life time warranty. I got the metropolis, which is the second biggest one they have, and I just cant seem to be able to throw enough stuff at it to kill it. I could fill the entire thing up with every single textbook, binders, and my notebook, and still have room for lunch. Hell it's big enough to hold a case of beer! The big problem with it? People (sometimes random strangers) will walk up to you, and press the button to see if it works, and the buckle will swing out, smacking them in the body and sending the bag crashing to the ground. Be prepared for this, use the support strap. It's also pricey, but you cant beat the quality. It's got your basic organizer on the front for a pen and stuff, and one big compartment on the inside. You can purchase a padded laptop sleeve from them, and there's also a hidden pocket built right into the seam that is impossible to find (not a bad place to store a DS, etc etc).

Jokerman on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Crashtard wrote: »
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

I'd actually be interested in acquiring something in the Aperture colors, but apparently I'm incapable of actually creating this with the creator. Halp?

For Aperture, I'd probably do a Silver-Black-Slate Blue bag, with Black inside, and Blue logo. Black-Blue-Black for a more refined look.

For Black Mesa, I'd go with Orange-Black-Black, Black inside, Black logo. Or flip, and give it an Orange logo. The Black-Orange-Black looked too much like a pumpkin for me.

MichaelLC on
    edited October 2008
    I would do stuff like these.

Aperture Science:
    aperturebag.JPG

Or Black Mesa options:

blackmesabag1.JPG
    blackmesabag2.JPG

Then just find a corporate logo patch to go on each, where the swirly is.

MuddBudd on
    edited October 2008
    The problem, of course, is FINDING the corporate logo. Hmmm, it can't be that hard to make a sew-on patch, maybe I'll just MAKE one...

Corak on
    I live!
    edited October 2008
    The problem, of course, is FINDING the corporate logo. Hmmm, it can't be that hard to make a sew-on patch, maybe I'll just MAKE one...

Well, there seem to be a ton of custom patch places online, and the Black Mesa and Aperture Science logos are pretty simple.

You might have to make a small batch instead of just one or two, but I'd be willing to bet forumers would chip in to make them if they got one too.

I kinda want one now myself.

MuddBudd on
  • spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I would do stuff like these.

Aperture Science:
    aperturebag.JPG

Or Black Mesa options:

blackmesabag1.JPG
    blackmesabag2.JPG

Then just find a corporate logo patch to go on each, where the swirly is.

Wow, I was messing around with customizing bags, without the intention of making a video game themed bag, and all of the ones I liked turned out EXACTLY like that.

I'm seconding the subtle logo stuff. A big WoW patch can be cool, but it's a good way to meet people who you might not want to actually meet.

I've always wanted a Lost (Dharma initiative) Messenger bag, but have never found one. I found this here:http://buzzsugar.com/242162 And think having that logo on a messenger bag would be great. However I dont know where to get something like that.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
    edited October 2008
    You shall turn to the darkness of the chrome!

Jokerman on
  • clam2000clam2000 SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The messenger bag I'm using I got from bagaboo

(http://bagaboo.hu/)

It costs about the same as a timbuk2 bag, but you can specify a exactly the design and colors you want for the bag.
    (see this picture for example: http://bagaboo.hu/pictures/messenger/extra3.jpg)

They're really nice bags, and I prefer it over my older timbuk2 bag.

clam2000 on
    cdogwal.gif
  • Hobbit0815Hobbit0815 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My sister got something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Washed-Classic-Messenger-Bag/dp/B000P4PVEQ/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1223564946&sr=8-1

She got it in black.

It's more simple, probably wouldn't hold as much as a college student needs (hundreds of books/laptop/carefully hidden porn mags, etc.)

Hobbit0815 on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Well, there seem to be a ton of custom patch places online, and the Black Mesa and Aperture Science logos are pretty simple.

You might have to make a small batch instead of just one or two, but I'd be willing to bet forumers would chip in to make them if they got one too.

I kinda want one now myself.

Hell yeah I'd chip in for that. My bag is an amalgamation of geek, so it would fit right in. Now I just need a place for all the stickers I got.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    okay, so i just got a timbuk2 huge ass laptop messenger in the mail today, and carried a laptop, 2 novels, a collection of stories (think college english class), a binder, 2 folders, and 2 granola bars in it. for a 20 minute walk. and it was comfortable, sturdy, etc., and the colors are awesome.

anywho, just throwing another endorsement for timbuk2, though it is an admittedly shortsighted one.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
    edited October 2008

Hell yeah I'd chip in for that. My bag is an amalgamation of geek, so it would fit right in. Now I just need a place for all the stickers I got.

For stickers I suggest the back of a laptop.

Hmm... maybe I just have a weird thing for covering surfaces...

Corak on
    I live!
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

For stickers I suggest the back of a laptop.

Hmm... maybe I just have a weird thing for covering surfaces...

In college, I got a new dark-gray Gateway laptop.

So naturally, the first thing I did was to make cow spots with white Contact-Paper.

MichaelLC on
    edited October 2008
    doing yourself a grave disservice by not checking out chrome.

Jokerman on