As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cave Story on the Wii! Huzzah!

LednehLedneh shinesquawkRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
Almost buried in the good news goldmine that was Nintendo's Holiday 2008 press release was this nugget of goodness:
WiiWare delivers great new games directly to Wii consoles that are connected to the Internet. Nintendo's downloadable game service will see games like:

- Cave Story: This title is an action-adventure game with new, exclusive content and features created only for the WiiWare version.

For those who don't know why this is such good news, you've apparently lived under a large rock in a deep valley in the frozen north for some time now. You're hereby ordered to mash your left mouse button on this underlined text and download Cave Story, the Metroid-like platformer developed by one dude named Pixel over the course of four years.

The web site for Cave Story Wii has gone up, too, with some wallpaper and blogs and things (and a pretty good Outer Wall remix for background music, I think). There's gonna be new music and art in the game, too, but (thankfully) the plan is it can all be turned off and put on the original goodness in the options. Finally, Pixel is apparently heavily involved in this recreation, so hopefully that means the changes will be good.

Even having played Cave Story many many times before (six minutes, bitches), I am excited as all hell for this and will plonk down the money for it the day it releases. What about you?

balrog1.gifHuzzah! balrog1.gif

Ledneh on

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cave Story is pretty great and I'll be buying this when it comes out. I've only beaten it once, but is currently replaying to get the best ending.

Cave Story could really use multiple save slots, so I hope they add that. Also the ability to retry boss battles when you die. Having to go through tons of dialogue you've already read is annoying.

Peewi on
  • GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gosh, I can't wait. They do say the music and sound effects are in-progress works, but I really hope they figure out how to get the pixel sounds back instead of midi. Otherwise, man, this is going to be sick!

GimeC on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Cave Story is pretty great and I'll be buying this when it comes out. I've only beaten it once, but is currently replaying to get the best ending.

Cave Story could really use multiple save slots, so I hope they add that. Also the ability to retry boss battles when you die. Having to go through tons of dialogue you've already read is annoying.

I'm stuck on the last boss fight right now. Rather, I should say I'm stuck on the last boss marathon, where they're like "Here's a save point. Now go fight three bosses in a row with no save point or health/missile recharges in between."

KalTorak on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So uh... For the uninformed (not me, of course, but those who are out of the loop): What exactly is Cave Story? RPG/Platformer/Adventure/pr0n?

I hear about it a lot, but I never really looked into it.

urahonky on
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Rather, I should say I'm stuck on the last boss marathon, where they're like "Here's a save point. Now go fight three bosses in a row with no save point or health/missile recharges in between."

Four, actually. All of them very fun, and not all that bad once you do it enough times. I play Cave Story on PSP, but this is still pretty cool.

Silvoculous on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cave Story is a lot of fun. Everyone who has a computer and likes platformers with a lot of pew pew should play this.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    C64 games and now this. I think I'm actually beginning to like my Wii.

Not sure if it is ironic or not that my favourite games are downloaded games, and that I've spent as much money on Wiiware and VC as on retail games... (I've only bought 1 game for full price, and that's RE4.)

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    oh rats I thought this was a wii homebrew thread :_(

still cool news though.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    So uh... For the uninformed (not me, of course, but those who are out of the loop): What exactly is Cave Story? RPG/Platformer/Adventure/pr0n?

Metroid-y platformer with guns that have several levels of power.

BlueDestiny on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Sounds awesome.

urahonky on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow... this is awesomely unexpected news.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    oh rats I thought this was a wii homebrew thread :_(

still cool news though.

You fool! This is better than homebrew because now you get to pay money for it!
    I'm not being sarcastic either, it really is better because now you get to show your love and support by paying for it and justifying pixel's hard work. Plus if it does really well they may be more inclined to put up other stuff like it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Sounds awesome.

Combat is more instense. It's like Metal Slug.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I'm stuck on the last boss fight right now. Rather, I should say I'm stuck on the last boss marathon, where they're like "Here's a save point. Now go fight three bosses in a row with no save point or health/missile recharges in between."

Oh, that's not the last boss fight. Once you get that over with, look up how to get the real ending. :twisted:

jothki on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I watched some of this on Youtube. It looks amazing.

Yes, I know I can get this for free.

But I want to play this on my Wii, and I do not mind paying for something like this and letting those funds go to a developer this creative.

slash000 on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Holy shit awesome. Pixel deserves to finally get paid for his magnum opus.

I can't wait to give him my money.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited October 2008
    Even if it was free, you now get:

1) Higher resolution graphics (at least if you look at the blog header... though perhaps this isn't appreciated by everyone).
    2) Widescreen graphics on your big screen TV (you could hook up your PC/Mac before, but not get widescreen).
    3) Better controls with the wiimote (again, you might have a gamepad, but the d-pad is a Nintendo patent).
    4) Remixed soundtrack (again, perhaps not appreciated by everyone... I know I like it oldschool).
    5) Extra content (though no idea what, yet).

I'll gladly pay for it, and I will!

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    eobet wrote: »
    but the d-pad is a Nintendo patent).

A Nintendo patent whose term is up and that is now fair game for anyone to do with as they please.

But even so, Nintendo's Dpads on their various controllers are still better than most of the others from other companies.

slash000 on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    jothki wrote: »

Oh, that's not the last boss fight. Once you get that over with, look up how to get the real ending. :twisted:

re: real ending
    I wonder if the Wii cavestory would support a top X scoreboard for the nikumaru (or nekomata or whatever the hell it is) counter... I'm sure as shit it would put my six minutes to shame, but what the hell!

Ledneh on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

D:

Also, whoever came up with the idea for the level 3 Machine Gun is a goddamn genius. So simple, yet so awesome.

KalTorak on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »

I wonder if the Wii cavestory would support a top X scoreboard for the nikumaru (or nekomata or whatever the hell it is) counter... I'm sure as shit it would put my six minutes to shame, but what the hell!
    5'34"2

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm definitely buying this. It'll be nice to play it with a good controller. I used a PS2 adapter on my PC and it was OK, but at some point I got to a boss I couldn't beat and just gave up. I don't really blame the controller, but a classic controller would make the experience better.

The hard part is figuring out what to delete so I can make room. :(

SteevL on
    edited October 2008
    Lork wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »

5'34"2

[img]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v325/Ledneh/SA Emoticons/emot-argh.gif[/img]

Ledneh on
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I tired playing Cave Story on the PC but I could never get in to it, I'll pick it up for the Wii if only to support Pixel. This also raises my hopes for Aquaria Wii.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

1) Higher resolution graphics (at least if you look at the blog header... though perhaps this isn't appreciated by everyone).
    2) Widescreen graphics on your big screen TV (you could hook up your PC/Mac before, but not get widescreen).
    3) Better controls with the wiimote (again, you might have a gamepad, but the d-pad is a Nintendo patent).
    4) Remixed soundtrack (again, perhaps not appreciated by everyone... I know I like it oldschool).

I'm seriously not trying to troll here but I wanted to point out that:

1) the maximum resolution of the Wii is 480p which, in old school computer terms is 640x480 (with square pixels in this instance) which is also available in the options for PC players.
    2) wide screen graphics, if you're just stretching your 480p signal to 16:9 (which is something you can do on a PC) then you're not really getting widescreen graphics.
    3) Absolutely true, Though if I wanted to use that extremely small dpad I could hook my wiimote up to my PC. Or I could use a 360 controller, or a snes controller, or whatever. You can find or build an adapter for anything to the PC these days.
    4) Hells yes, this is a good reason to pay for the game.
    5) Hells yes, this is a good reason to pay for the game.

I also figured I'd add to the list:
    6) Supporting Pixel is A-OK, USA.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    edited October 2008

I don't see why a d-pad would necessarily be an improvement. The game is set up in such a way that the up and down keys don't ever specify movement, just where your gun is aimed. While a d-pad forces both horizontal and vertical controls to be connected, WASD essentially leaves them disjoint. I'd much rather use my middle finger to aim and my pointer and ring fingers to move instead of having to control both aspects with my thumb, especially since there are some moderately tricky jumps that need to be made.

jothki on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    2) wide screen graphics, if you're just stretching your 480p signal to 16:9 (which is something you can do on a PC) then you're not really getting widescreen graphics.
    Pretty sure it's not just stretched - when they use widescreen in this manner they generally mean you can see more stuff on the left and right sides of the screen than you can in the original.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So are the graphics just higher resolution (which seems pointless to me), or did Pixel redesign them? If it's the latter I'd like to see them.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited October 2008
    Out of curiosity, does this mean that the game is going to get a new translation? The current translation patch is completely fan-made, right?

jothki on
    edited October 2008
    Out of curiosity, does this mean that the game is going to get a new translation? The current translation patch is completely fan-made, right?

The game is using a fan translation called Aeon Genesis.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited October 2008
    The promotional wallpapers are set to random :x

Also, Misery is a little bitch and I can't wait to crush her.

Cantido on
    edited October 2008

I'm seriously not trying to troll here but I wanted to point out that:

1) the maximum resolution of the Wii is 480p which, in old school computer terms is 640x480 (with square pixels in this instance) which is also available in the options for PC players.

1) True, but Cave Story is 320x240, and if you would look at the blog header (like I told you to :P ), you'll see how the tiles are redrawn in double the resolution (but not the sprites).

2) Again, if you check the blog (or was it the interview?) they say that they had some trouble with getting some areas into widescreen, so they're definetly not stretching anything.

eobet on
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I don't see why a d-pad would necessarily be an improvement. The game is set up in such a way that the up and down keys don't ever specify movement, just where your gun is aimed. While a d-pad forces both horizontal and vertical controls to be connected, WASD essentially leaves them disjoint. I'd much rather use my middle finger to aim and my pointer and ring fingers to move instead of having to control both aspects with my thumb, especially since there are some moderately tricky jumps that need to be made.
    I never had any problems using a gamepad. But then I was never able to play side scrolling games with WASD properly anyway. Still, I didn't feel I was ever punished for using a gamepad.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yeah I was playing on a laptop keyboard and I can't say I was pining for a D-pad or anything. Control worked just fine using WASD. I don't really see a D-Pad being any major sort of improvement, just different.

subedii on
    edited October 2008
    Personally for me, in areas where your timing and control really mattered, I found WASD to be just unworkable. For the majority of the game it was fine, but for certain instances I really needed the finer degree of control I got out of my 360 controller.

Ledneh on
    edited October 2008
    I think Cavestory is a lot more fun with a gamepad. I used my 360 remote (using the thumbstick, not the D-pad) and I had absolutely no problems with it. Much easier to switch out weapons, too.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I had absolutely no problem doing even the hell run with wads. The game is designed for it so the controls work fine.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited October 2008
    Goddammit I now understand the need for Save Slots

New Game time. D:

Cantido on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I never heard of this game till now. It looks like the work of a madman.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I never heard of this game till now. It looks like the work of a madman.
    D:

I'm sorry for you.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!