As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Head Hurts [Science Thread]

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Science man ... it's like whoa.

Any specific magazines I should be subscribed to? I really only get Wired as of now.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    my mom hooks me up with every issue of MAKE

its a cool magazine

tugga on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I wouldn't consider Wired a science magazine at all

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Popular Science is more popular than science, it's disappointing.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    it's so true

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i'm going to let this year run out and get scientific american or something once I move into a new place, I've just gotten tired of all the ads and crap.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    SciAm is a wonderful publication and I highly recommend it

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My younger step brother (freshman in high school now) grew up in a pretty fundamentalist church.

Now, I grew up a creationist and everything and I have no problem with people believing what their faith dictates to them. er... as long as direct scientific evidence is not staring right in their faces and even then...

anyway. My point is. He was basically taught (or came up with it on his own because he is spectacularly stupid) that "science" is evil. Evolution came from science, therefore all scientists are evolutionists and evil. I told him that stuff like TV came from science and he would not believe me, said it was.. uh shit I forget who, but basically just some company started making them.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    unfortunately I grew up around people pretty much like that

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Artreus wrote: »
    My younger step brother (freshman in high school now) grew up in a pretty fundamentalist church.

Now, I grew up a creationist and everything and I have no problem with people believing what their faith dictates to them. er... as long as direct scientific evidence is not staring right in their faces and even then...

anyway. My point is. He was basically taught (or came up with it on his own because he is spectacularly stupid) that "science" is evil. Evolution came from science, therefore all scientists are evolutionists and evil. I told him that stuff like TV came from science and he would not believe me, said it was.. uh shit I forget who, but basically just some company started making them.

Yeah guys, really. God simply intelligently-designed things like clothing, agriculture, artificial shelter, medicine and electronic entertainment mediums and they appeared.
    My sister's an insufferable, selfish and destructive bitch who belongs in an institution but at least she's not a religious fundamentalist. I don't think I could take that.

I bring her up because she was 15 when it was revealed to her that the rules in our household had been established when I was a young child, they weren't specifically formulated to piss her off. Before that she implied that she harbored the private belief that my brother and I never did homework and that we spent weekdays playing videogames or watching TV. That came as quite a surprise to me.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    anybody posted that link to the increasing star sizes gif

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Yeah guys, really. God simply intelligently-designed things like clothing, agriculture, artificial shelter, medicine and electronic entertainment mediums and they appeared.
    My sister's an insufferable, selfish and destructive bitch who belongs in an institution but at least she's not a religious fundamentalist. I don't think I could take that.

I bring her up because she was 15 when it was revealed to her that the rules in our household had been established when I was a young child, they weren't specifically formulated to piss her off. Before that she implied that she harbored the private belief that my brother and I never did homework and that we spent weekdays playing videogames or watching TV. That came as quite a surprise to me.

This might be more of a general childhood thing but it still kind of annoys me, a lot of childhood shows kind of encouraged it and my step brother held onto this for a while.

Adults are all out to get kids. They just want them to not have fun. That is all they are there for basically. So he always had this kid vs adult chip on his block and god that is annoying. He actually thought my dad made him do chores just for the hell of it. (although to be fair, we had a lot of property and my dad did find some pretty retarded shit for us to do, but still)

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited October 2008

This might be more of a general childhood thing but it still kind of annoys me, a lot of childhood shows kind of encouraged it and my step brother held onto this for a while.

Adults are all out to get kids. They just want them to not have fun. That is all they are there for basically. So he always had this kid vs adult chip on his block and god that is annoying. He actually thought my dad made him do chores just for the hell of it. (although to be fair, we had a lot of property and my dad did find some pretty retarded shit for us to do, but still)

Buy him a copy of Battle Royale.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh jesus I should. I actually have the novel, the movie, one of the comics, and a faded screen-printed t-shirt of that.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Just the novel will be fine.

The movie doesn't really adhere to the message so well.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    In all seriousness though I would never let him near the fucking thing. One of the only books I have ever seen him read was one of the halo novels and he managed to rip off the cover and first few pages and get some writing on it.

Artreus on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Soooooooo
    Are people talking about science in here or what?

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I once encountered a man who didn't believe in evolution

He said "I don't buy it. If man evolved from apes, why are there still monkeys?"

Some bystanders agreed with him. "He's got a point," they said.

I am so fantastically happy I was raised without religion and my parents actively engendered a love of science in me

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cause I'm not really seeing any

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    anybody posted that link to the increasing star sizes gif

this one?

or close, i guess. still mindblowing.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dichotomy wrote: »

He said "I don't buy it. If man evolved from apes, why are there still monkeys?"

I am so fantastically happy I was raised without religion and my parents actively engendered a love of science in me

just a year or two after I'd decided to leave christianity behind me, I was dating this gal that also had christian parents and I remember going over to their place for dinner once

the father wasn't too bad, though he seemed rather distant and quiet
    which unfortunately meant it was mostly the mother who was asking me questions
    I made the mistake of mentioning I grew up watching and loving Jacques Cousteau's shows and that lead to a love of the ocean and diving. This lead to her commenting that Cousteau is an "evilutionist" (ok I don't think she actually said evil but it was obvious she didn't approve). God, I was just thinking "motherfuck I thought I left this bullshit behind".

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wish I could remember this one book I had, it detailed space and the solar system in ways which could be understood by children

but the best part was this section with theoretical creatures that could exist on other planets

like the things on Venus that ate metallic and mineral deposits to survive

or the floating gasbags of Jupiter

or the elephant-mouse-things of Mars that would suck up water from deposits under the surface with this long proboscis then shield themselves against the cold night by wrapping their ears around themselves like a shell

or the things on Titan that maintained chemical fires inside a special organ that kept them alive and they used to create thrust that propelled them really high

okay, that post wasn't anything about science but I wish I could find that book again

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I feel you Dru. I've told this tale a few times before but the gist of it is this:

I dated a girl for 3 years, almost to the day. A couple weeks before our third-year anniversary a conversation turns to religion, a topic she had avoided around me as she knew our views were different. She figures out that I not-only tolerate religions like Buddhism, Hinduism and Taoism but that I admire portions of them. This leads to her questioning and me admitting that I do, indeed, believe that other religions have equal claim to the afterlife as Christianity.
    The next hour and a half was an argument that consisted of her going "But it says in the Bible!"
    To which I was replying "Yes, and the Bible was written by human beings with an agenda and edited over several generations into its current form. Jesus didn't pen one single word of it and he's the only part of Christianity I can really admire."

She was crying and stuttering and I was just getting more and more freaked out that this girl who participated in all this nerdiness and who I had been spending almost all of my free time with for 3 whole years was a fucking zealot in geek's clothing.

Oh and she didn't know whether or not she could believe in evolution but had just been humoring me over the years when the subject was brought up.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I feel you Dru. I've told this tale a few times before but the gist of it is this:

I dated a girl for 3 years, almost to the day. A couple weeks before our third-year anniversary a conversation turns to religion, a topic she had avoided around me as she knew our views were different. She figures out that I not-only tolerate religions like Buddhism, Hinduism and Taoism but that I admire portions of them. This leads to her questioning and me admitting that I do, indeed, believe that other religions have equal claim to the afterlife as Christianity.
    The next hour and a half was an argument that consisted of her going "But it says in the Bible!"
    To which I was replying "Yes, and the Bible was written by human beings with an agenda and edited over several generations into its current form. Jesus didn't pen one single word of it and he's the only part of Christianity I can really admire."

She was crying and stuttering and I was just getting more and more freaked out that this girl who participated in all this nerdiness and who I had been spending almost all of my free time with for 3 whole years was a fucking zealot in geek's clothing.

Oh and she didn't know whether or not she could believe in evolution but had just been humoring me over the years when the subject was brought up.

sounds like a chrysalid from X-Com

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    She now works for the Gub'ment.

OOOooooeeeEEEEeeeooooOOOOooo

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    These threads should really have a disclaimer
    Warning: Only 7% actual Science content

BusterK on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    BusterK wrote: »

cite please

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

12693j4.jpg
    SCIENCE!

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've never actually had an unpleasant encounter with someone who was ignorantly religious
    I just don't end up talking to hardline creationists that much

Although at work over the summer me and 2 of my fellow lifeguards were sitting around shooting the shit and we were talking about one of the other guards who was out because of appendicitis and my buddy said some idle thing like "I wonder what was the evolutionary process that gave us a useless thing like the appendix"

and the head guard (who was a huge redneck so I guess he couldn't help it) says "I don't know... cause I don't believe in evolution" and then remains silent

me and my buddy just kinda looked at each other and smirked and shook our heads

good times

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

12693j4.jpg
    SCIENCE!

SCIENCE!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfJ_M0EOtXM

BusterK on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The girlfriend story is really the only time it's affected me in any great way. Three years dating someone only to find out it was wasted time is a pretty harsh thing.

I knew a kid in one of my classes freshmen year of college who I got along with. Similar story to yours Gray Ghost. We were talking about something and he said he really didn't believe in evolution. I asked him to clarify, saying "so you don't think science is on the right track?" he didn't answer at first so I followed up with "So do you believe that God made everything exactly the way it was?" and he said yes.
    I asked him about the dinosaurs and other things that came before mankind and he said he didn't know.

I was a little shocked, as I'd never met a creationist before (not in person anyway) and decided to just let it be. It wasn't until after we dropped out of contact that I tried to look him up again and found out he was part of a furry artist web-ring. I have to say that made me judge him much more harshly than the creationism bit.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Things like this made things so easy for me... and you forgot the part about getting into heaven together.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I once dealt with a creationist girl in my high school. She was nice, but fucking stupid. I don't think her parents even taught her how to read.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dichotomy wrote: »

The same reason there are whales and goldfish, everything is different, it's just a change of environment and selection that created a completely different type of creature -

I know I bring this up a bit but yeah, dog breeds.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Turning a Sphere inside out.

Prepare yourselves, Gentlemen, for mathematics in extremely high and incredibly mind blowing doses.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6626464599825291409

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The last star is called VY Canis Majoris, a hypergiant star located 5,000 light years from earth and is considered to be the largest star discovered in the universe. Assuming the upper size limit of 2100 solar radii, light would take more than 8 hours to travel around the star's circumference

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    :science:

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The last star is called VY Canis Majoris, a hypergiant star located 5,000 light years from earth and is considered to be the largest star discovered in the universe. Assuming the upper size limit of 2100 solar radii, light would take more than 8 hours to travel around the star's circumference

I would post the gif but the only version I have is like 2 meg and we've all seen it anyways.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    21 minutes of geometric math at 9:40 at night

fuck you

fucking "net turns"

fuck that

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I would post the gif but the only version I have is like 2 meg and we've all seen it anyways.

I have not seen it.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |