As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Head Hurts [Science Thread]

13»

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Veretas wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    The last star is called VY Canis Majoris, a hypergiant star located 5,000 light years from earth and is considered to be the largest star discovered in the universe. Assuming the upper size limit of 2100 solar radii, light would take more than 8 hours to travel around the star's circumference

I would post the gif but the only version I have is like 2 meg and we've all seen it anyways.

I have not seen it.

1.2mb of awe to put you in your place in the universe

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RockyRocky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've had the worst headache all day, so after a nap I watched the debate for a bit and it only got worse. So I watched that turn the sphere insdie out vid and my head exploded
    my headache went away

Rocky on
    LOTRO: Hurindar Halimhar
    GW2: Hurindar
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Rocky wrote: »
    I've had the worst headache all day, so after a nap I watched the debate for a bit and it only got worse. So I watched that turn the sphere insdie out vid and my head exploded
    my headache went away

The blue squares on the left hand cube are the exact same colour as the yellow squares on the right hand one.

2nu4m77cy2.jpg

Neither have any colour. Both are a shade of grey. The line that connects these two is not a gradient, but solid colour.

2ic5dgnms1.jpg

How is that headache doin for ya?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What the fuck Scarab

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    yeah, our brains color correct all the time but we usually don't notice

for instance if you're sitting in a forest reading a book in the spring or summer and there's a leafy canopy filtering the light, the light that comes through will be green tinted and as a result the light reflecting off the pages will also be green tinted
    yet our brains automatically correct for this so we see white pages instead of a green hue

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    my headache went away

Neither have any colour. Both are a shade of grey. The line that connects these two is not a gradient, but solid colour.

2ic5dgnms1.jpg

I don't see a gradient on that grey line....

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh my god

SirToasty on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The last star is called VY Canis Majoris, a hypergiant star located 5,000 light years from earth and is considered to be the largest star discovered in the universe. Assuming the upper size limit of 2100 solar radii, light would take more than 8 hours to travel around the star's circumference

I would post the gif but the only version I have is like 2 meg and we've all seen it anyways.

I have not seen it.

holy fuck.

Marathon on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    my headache went away

2ic5dgnms1.jpg

I don't see a gradient on that grey line....

Color Theory was damn interesting. Unfortunately that didn't help me not get a D in that class because I can't mix acrylic paint to save my ass. Still, I remember the principles very well.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I have not seen it.

I love watching this.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Those things always tell me I'm the most important thing in the universe.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    That is a very nice av/sig combo there, VoC.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Geek wrote: »

Thanks Geek. That's my handiwork (though I did steal the Zatanna illustration from some guy).

TankHammer on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Geek wrote: »

Thanks Geek. That's my handiwork (though I did steal the Zatanna illustration from some guy).

I am spoiled. I have another set someone made for me too.
    m8o36p.png

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

that star is so fat it practically can't see its own toes

Iskander on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I have not seen it.

I love watching this.
    The last frame of the animation is pretty much in the middle of mindfuck territory. I mean I was feeling small and insignificant at about the halfway point. Then BAM. Oh my god.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok. This is just fucking amazing.
    http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/10/old_scientists_never_clean_out.php

Apparently back when they did the Miller-Urey experiment they made 22 amino acids out of their soup instead of the original 5 they thought they had.

Amazing.

Marathon on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it's time to drag this thread down with HOT SCIENTISTS

lisa randall does stuff on the LHC at CERN

Amy mainzer does shows about space and stuff on the history channel and also works at NASA so I think she's an astronaut or something, but there are like no good pictures of her on google so watch The Universe on the history channel because it is really good.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    She's cute

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Spacecraft to probe edge of solar system
    LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A small NASA spacecraft embarks on a two-year mission this weekend to give scientists their first view of the happenings at the edge of the solar system.
    NASA hopes its new Ibex probe will help explain why the sun's protective heliosphere is shrinking.

NASA hopes its new Ibex probe will help explain why the sun's protective heliosphere is shrinking.

The Ibex probe, short for Interstellar Boundary Explorer, will study a chaotic region in space where the solar wind from the sun clashes with cold gases from interstellar space.

The solar wind, a stream of charged particles spewing from the sun at 1 million miles (1.6 million kilometers) per hour, carves out a protective bubble around the solar system. This bubble known as the heliosphere shields against most dangerous cosmic radiation that would otherwise interfere with human spaceflight.

Scientists recently discovered that the solar wind pressure is at its weakest level in 50 years, although the exact reason remains a mystery. Ibex could help confirm whether the heliosphere is shrinking.

oh no the heliosphere is shrinking!

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    blame the republicans

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    holy fucking shit

remember a while ago we had a discussion about how to land on mars without a giant rolly ice cream maker?

well, fuck, NASA has a plan

http://gizmodo.com/5065735/how-the-weird-mars-science-laboratory-floating-sky-crane-works

THAT IS SO COOL

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    oh man

aeroshell.jpg

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Holy fucking shit

that video was amazing

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    now all they need to do is make it man-sized and still work, so it can be dropped from orbit

oh and also build a huge ship that will orbit mars, but yeah

Faricazy on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am in still in favor of building a moon base first
    And launching to Mars from there

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    how will it be any easier

Faricazy on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Don't need as big a rocket
    For multiple missions

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    it's not gonna be a rocket, dogg

gonna need to be a straight up cruiser

Faricazy on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    yeah uh

why not just have the thing firing the retrorockets land

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am pretty sure we are doing the moonbase first.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Artreus wrote: »
    I am pretty sure we are doing the moonbase first.

Because it makes the most sense

BusterK on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    yeah uh

atmosphere's too thin to get pushed up? but wait do rockets work like that or is it purely the equal and opposite reaction thing?

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    yeah uh

atmosphere's too thin to get pushed up? but wait do rockets work like that or is it purely the equal and opposite reaction thing?
    aduh

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    you don't want the whole thing to be decelerated because it's too heavy. Ideally, if you could, landing just the payload would be the way to go, but this is as close as they can get it seems, for now.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg