As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ITT we talk about jazz

13»

• Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    XenosX_ wrote:
    And then through all of that, he gets funky on Weather Report.
    Yeah, but if there is a common theme to this thread, it's "Fuck Weather Report."

I really fucking love "Moment's Notice." Today my dumb ass finally got a copy of Blue Train for myself and I'm listening to "Moment's Notice" for the fourth time today right now. Which, again, is another really fun song that's more substantial than something like "Blue Rondo a la Turk."

Our saxaphone player learnt that tune, and would call it out at this regular gig we had every once and a while. That was fine, then we had the piano player learn it inside out.
    So each night we'd run through that sonnavabitch. It's a pain to play.

It seems every third run through i'd get the "Bass solo?" line. Each time the response was "No way man, i'm not earning enough to try that bastard tonight."

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I was in our school music library (where I get a lot of my music) looking for a jazz CD that has Eddie Daniels, because I'm starting to play jazz and I've been playing clarinet for eight years (although I'm starting alto sax today!). Not surprisingly, they have none of his solo work and only three albums that feature him. The one that looks like it will most prominently feature his work is an album by some Arturo Sandoval. I listened to two tracks, one of which was "Moment's Notice."

SO

FUCKING

BAD

Worst professionally recorded jazz I've ever heard. Just awful stuff. And I haven't even heard Eddie Daniels on a track yet. I'm going to delete all the tracks that don't include him ASAP.

Also, the other day our janitor gave me Winelight by Grover Washington Jr. (in exchange for the new Kweli & Madlib, which is no longer free btw), which was labeled as a jazz album. Almost all of the songs are pretty bad and he's not a good improviser, but I didn't realize that was the album with the original version of "Just the Two of Us," which is really more R&B but is so good (except the sax solo. The steel drum solo by some random session player is much better.).

Currently grooving to "On the Corner/New York Girl/Thinkin' Of One Thing And Doin' Another/Vote For Miles" off On the Corner.

YosemiteSam on
  • gobassgogobassgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "Dr. J" off of Winelight is a classic Marcus Miller bass groove.

gobassgo on
    edited January 2007
    gobassgo wrote:
    "Dr. J" off of Winelight is a classic Marcus Miller bass groove.
    Oh yeah, that was a good bass line. Super boring melody though, if I'm remembering correctly.

YosemiteSam on
    edited February 2007
    Anybody listen to Brad Mehldau? I got The Art of the Trio Part 3 the other day and it's pretty cool, but I don't understand what the big deal is.

YosemiteSam on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Anybody listen to Brad Mehldau? I got The Art of the Trio Part 3 the other day and it's pretty cool, but I don't understand what the big deal is.

Paranoid Android

Sam on
    edited February 2007
    Who in this thread plays jazz?

YosemiteSam on
  • gobassgogobassgo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I play fret/less bass in my funk jam group.
    I play bass in the jazz band.
    I also play Saxophone in a Jazz combo.

gobassgo on
  • saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I play sax. But I don't have anyone to play with around here, so I don't get to jam.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
    edited March 2007
    I'm really into the first Miles Davis quintet lately. Especially Cookin'.

YosemiteSam on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Tenor Sax, although I haven't played in a jazz band in... three years? Kinda miss it, thinking about going down to Beale one Saturday and making some shit up, see if I make any money. Only reason I haven't done so yet is my fear of getting shanked.

Salvation122 on
    edited March 2007
    thinking about going down to Beale one Saturday and making some shit up, see if I make any money.
    Do elaborate.

YosemiteSam on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I live in Memphis. Where Beale Street is. And there are lots of people who improv stuff on street corners, and sometimes people give them money. I am considering doing so.

Salvation122 on
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm really into the first Miles Davis quintet lately. Especially Cookin'.

That stuff is the buisness. I've been thinking about the box set. Anyone got it?

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • TuomaTuoma Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Everyone who cares even a tiny bit about Sun Ra MUST see the documentary A joyful noise and then watch the movie Space is the place. Man i like that guy... I have some 60+ albums of him haha, might be a little overboard.

Anyway, just wandered in to this thread to see if someone could give me some tips on Dizzy Gillespie? I have neglected him far too long and need to buy some asap.

Tuoma on
    Tuoma.png
  • PartialartistPartialartist Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've been listening to the Radiolarians series, by Medeski, Martin & Wood, recently. Part III just came out and it's probably the best of them all. Lots of cool stuff going on. Here's a review and one of the tracks.
    http://citizendick.org/2009/07/30/medeski-martin-wood-radiolarians-iii-album-review/

Avishai Cohen(bass player; there's a trumpet player that goes by the same name) has been getting a lot of play time, as well. I have Continuo and Gently Disturbed, which has some rich harmony on top of interesting rhythms. Powerful music.

I've also been enjoying McCoy Tyner's recent Quartet recording. Joe Lovano's great on it and McCoy is just fantastic.
    The guys in my av and sig, Jaki Byard and Lee Morgan, have a lot of good recordings. Check out Jaki's solo stuff.

Who are some newer people I should check out? Most of my collection comes from the 50's-60's.

Partialartist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PSN : TheIdiomatic
  • RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A Love Supreme is my absolute favorite musical recording of any genre and era.

Reckless on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Can....can we discuss blues?

I just picked up a harmonica about 3 weeks ago and I've been trying to learn some blues on it.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • PartialartistPartialartist Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Partialartist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PSN : TheIdiomatic