As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First time sketch dump...

Darken RahlDarken Rahl Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Artist's Corner
I've posted in the photo threads a bit, but I never posted any attempt at DRAWING here.

I'm an architecture student, so I can draw with a ruler decently well, but buildings are easy compared to real life. Any pointers you can give based on my skill set as it stands (or falls down) would be MUCH appreciated.

These are all done with a fumi brush in Japan, it was a requirement of the studio in order to ensure we didn't get bogged down in the details, the idea was to capture the thing one was sketching quickly.

Thanks!

1_G.jpg

2_G.jpg

3_G.jpg

4_G.jpg

5_G.jpg

6_G.jpg

7_G.jpg

8_G.jpg

9_G.jpg

10_G.jpg

11_G.jpg

12_G.jpg

13_G.jpg

18_G.jpg

17_G.jpg

16_G.jpg

15_G.jpg

14_G.jpg

imtoobigfrenbook.jpg
Darken Rahl on

• Options
    ksblairksblair Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ah a fellow architecture major, you said these were done quickly, im curious how long your spending. If these are just little 8 minute sketches I think your doing pretty well, I spent my summer of 05 sketching around Europe, and the objective was to always keep the sketches under 15 minutes, and that a 5-10 minute window was best in order to try and get you to pick out the major points and not spend too much time at one location.

Anyways, your sketches dont seem bad but they seem to be pretty.. monochrome is the best word i can think of at the moment. They seem to lack a focal point, it can help to use your darkest areas as the focal point.

Now dont get me wrong, im no expert on sketching, but this is just what ive been taught, this example isnt some masterpiece, but an example. This was one I did in the Roman Forum... Time was about 11 minutes..
    romanforumda2.jpg

In this you can see how I tried to make the windows the focal point using the darkest tone (whether I was successful or not.. *shrug*). But as said this is just how I was taught, it doesnt make it the best technique but I do think these things help make a sketch.

Im all for apposing opinions, and it looks like you have a good start! On another note, what year are you in Architecture?

ksblair on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You should always be conscious of value. Depth and distance become apparent because things fade as they move back in the space and closer objects are more intense.

Also, it looks like you have excellent quality throughout with the exception of maybe a few ares that seem a bit too sketchy.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    vicevice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    okay listen I am an experienced artist and the first step to improving yourself is to STUDY ANATOMY and DRAW FORM REAL LIFE. I cannot stress this enough. Also, do not start with the cartoony style you are using, try drawing realistically, and with correct proportions beforehand! Remember, you have to learn the rules before you begin to break them. Keep this foremost in mind and you will improve as an artists. Good luck!

vice on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ^^^ dubbya tee eff?

I think these look nice. You definetly need to play with tone and depth a bit more, to give the buildings shape, but you're on the right path. Also, one of the greatest things about working with inks is gaining confidence, which seemed lacking here. Load that brush up, fucking dominate a line. Make that bitch cry, and it will be the best line you ever drew, then make all your lines like that =)

Greatnation on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    vice wrote:
    okay listen I am an experienced artist and the first step to improving yourself is to STUDY ANATOMY and DRAW FORM REAL LIFE. I cannot stress this enough. Also, do not start with the cartoony style you are using, try drawing realistically, and with correct proportions beforehand! Remember, you have to learn the rules before you begin to break them. Keep this foremost in mind and you will improve as an artists. Good luck!

What the hell are you talking about?

RubberAC on
  • Options
    paulwindpaulwind Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    vice wrote:

Go to hell.

Darken Rahl: these look good. The only issue I have with them is that none of them are finished, but that's dismissable, considering the assignment. That said, you really ought to sit down with your brush and try to complete one of these in a non-sketch format.

Also, a couple of them are a little warped. For instance, in this one,
    8_G.jpg
    the roof on the left side bends upwards (I'm not sure if that's true to the source, so I can't really judge it).

I, like Greatnation, would also like to see stronger linework. I have no clue what a fumi brush is, but it looks like you're able to get some solid, dark black lines. Basically what I'd like to see is more the architectural, geometrical side of your work, and not so much the "artsy," sketchy work.

edit: i am a bad speller

paulwind on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Wow guys, thanks for all the tips. I think the value comments are spot on, and I will try to do that in the future. My failing before this trip was always to start small, draw every single detail, then move on. By the time I got to a large enough area, I realized my proportions were off, and I had been drawing for an hour.

I didn't post my first sumi drawing because it was so tentative as to be laughable. I guess Im just a conservative guy. I'll give your killer line a try Greatnation, and see what comes of it.

ksblair, I'm a grad student in my last semester of his thesis year, designing my thesis project. My undergrad was in Theater Design (Lighting) so I had to do the 3 and a half year grad program. Where do you go to school? Later, when I have a decent rendering or model of my project, I'd like to start a thread about architecture design which I'd be happy to see your work, unless you post it somewhere else first.

Also, your sketch of the forum is well done with values from my point of view. My shading technique REALLY needs work. My Romanian classmate tries and tries to show me how to shade, he's a master, but I can't get it to look as nice as his. I think I'm impatient and need to work on my pencil control. :(

paulwind, a sumi (I mispelled it, sorry) pen is a calligraphy and painting brush found in Japan and I believe China. It's awesome because you can make REALLY thick and thin lines, all with one stroke. I guess I didn't really use the strengths of the medium, but I am still working on it. :)

Thanks for all your help, and don't mind vice. I believe he was satirizing a lot of the other posts to first time sketchers. I kinda chuckled...

Darken Rahl on
    imtoobigfrenbook.jpg
  • Options
    paulwindpaulwind Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Don't encourage him.

paulwind on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I guess I should add that I'm known for liking REALLY bad jokes. So I hope he isn't encouraged, sorry.

Darken Rahl on
    imtoobigfrenbook.jpg
  • Options
    Sticky MouseSticky Mouse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    We need that kind of humor around here

Sticky Mouse on
    servsigyq1.jpg
  • Options
    ksblairksblair Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

ksblair, I'm a grad student in my last semester of his thesis year, designing my thesis project. My undergrad was in Theater Design (Lighting) so I had to do the 3 and a half year grad program. Where do you go to school? Later, when I have a decent rendering or model of my project, I'd like to start a thread about architecture design which I'd be happy to see your work, unless you post it somewhere else first.

I took the liberty of starting a thread, chunked a couple of renderings i had in my "My Documents", feel free to add to it!

ksblair on