As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo DSi, the new DS iteration. Larger screens, camera, SD slot, DLC focus.

13»

• Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Concern:

This is filler, the "new" DS or the much talked about a loooong time ago new Gameboy will be out this time next year, not a massive gap tbh if you have a DS.

Decider:

If that SD Slot and internal memory makes it a homebrew device out of the box? sold! I have been thinking about getting the relevant kit for my dslite but never get round to it, and hate having to fiddle around (I realise this is the main point of homebrew, tinkering, but I don't have time) so to be able to play Rise of the Triads out the box? yesplx

Just to nitpick but IIRC, Nintendo said there will never be a gameboy again.The name feels a bit too gender-restrictive for their tastes apparently. I do agree however that this feels like filler, and like someone else said, a test-bed of features for a future hand-held.

As for homebrew out of the box, I find that unlikely to be honest, particularly with how anti-piracy/flash carts nintendo is getting with this new DSi

Ah I never read that, it makes sensewith the sucess of the DS but they did (way back when) leave it open I thought.

And yes the idea of Nintendo of all people releasing a great homebrew machine without making it hellish for people would be a suprise...but one can dream

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2008
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Concern:

This is filler, the "new" DS or the much talked about a loooong time ago new Gameboy will be out this time next year, not a massive gap tbh if you have a DS.

Decider:

If that SD Slot and internal memory makes it a homebrew device out of the box? sold! I have been thinking about getting the relevant kit for my dslite but never get round to it, and hate having to fiddle around (I realise this is the main point of homebrew, tinkering, but I don't have time) so to be able to play Rise of the Triads out the box? yesplx

Just to nitpick but IIRC, Nintendo said there will never be a gameboy again.The name feels a bit too gender-restrictive for their tastes apparently. I do agree however that this feels like filler, and like someone else said, a test-bed of features for a future hand-held.

As for homebrew out of the box, I find that unlikely to be honest, particularly with how anti-piracy/flash carts nintendo is getting with this new DSi

Ah I never read that, it makes sensewith the sucess of the DS but they did (way back when) leave it open I thought.
    True, as a backup plan. But it wasn't needed, since the DS became such a huge success.

Opium on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Soooo, looking for something else to get disproportionately angry at?

Apparently Nintendo points don't transfer between the Wii and DSi.
    While it's not exactly a huge surprise given that Nintendo doesn't have an overarching account system for the Wii and DS, plenty of folks will no doubt still be disappointed to learn that the company's new Nintendo Points won't be transferable between the two consoles. Instead, when you buy a points card (available in 1000, 3000 and 5000 points versions), you'll have to pick a console and spend all the points in that one place. Not exactly an ideal option, to be sure, but it seems like it's one that we'll be stuck with -- unless Nintendo has some plans to make some major changes to the way the Wii and DSi do business.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/08/nintendo-points-wont-make-the-leap-between-wii-and-dsi/

That's a minor bummer.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A minor bummer, but not unexpected.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    All games made for DSi will be region locked.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198728
    Nintendo has issued a statement to CVG to clarify the confusion over the region-based restrictions on the new DSi.

"DSi software (software that is only compatible with DSi) is region locked, eg: European DSi software can only be played on European DSi consoles," a Nintendo spokesperson has told CVG.

They confirmed that this means BOTH download-able games and future DSi-only cartridge-based games would be region locked.

"Nintendo DS software however is region free so you can play any DS software on DSi from any region. You can also browse the Internet on your DSi wherever you are in the world and exchange your photos with friends from around the world."

This follows a statement from NOA exec VP Cammie Dunanway saying: "I believe that just as you can currently buy a DS in Japan and use it here in the U.S., that you should be able to do that with DSi," as we reported this morning.

Nintendo went on to explain to CVG: "DSi is region locked because DSi embeds net communication functionality within itself and we are intending to provide net services specifically tailored for each region. Also because we are including parental control functionality for Nintendo DSi and each region has its unique age limit made by different independent."

So there you go - DSi-only titles will be locked. Standard DS software won't be. But how many of the DS' future games will be DSi-only? That's the next question...

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    stupid reasoning, but ok.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Geeeeeoff wrote: »
    Nintendo is fantastic at getting people to buy the same thing over and over again. :D

Well, I never upgraded my Phat to Lite, and now I just ebayed a pre-order of a japanese DSi.
    So, maybe not over and over, but twice? Yeah, they got me by the balls.

Djiem on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Nintendo is fantastic at getting people to buy the same thing over and over again. :D

Well, I never upgraded my Phat to Lite, and now I just ebayed a pre-order of a japanese DSi.

yea, I try to limit myself to twice. I bought a GBA, but not another GBA till the micro.

I bought the DS Phat, then Lite, but have no real desire to get the DSi. It just doesn't have enough to make me go ZOMG I NEED IT.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Opium wrote: »
    Not just with consoles but with games now too, what with the VC and all. You could conceivably own 3 different copies of ALTTP now (SNES, GBA, VC), and even 4 of OoT (N64, GC Collector's Edition, GC Wind Waker bonus, VC)

And I do, damn it!

urahonky on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »

yea, I try to limit myself to twice. I bought a GBA, but not another GBA till the micro.
    Same here. Ditto for the original Gameboy. And I plan to go from DS Phat to DSi.

Game Boy --> Game Boy Color (skipped Game Boy Pocket)
    Game Boy Advance --> Game Boy Micro (skipped Game Boy Advance SP)
    DS Phat --> DSi (skipped DS Lite)

Opium on
  • Options
    KodmaniacKodmaniac Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wonder, will we be able to play Virtual Console titles on this thing? That would be a deal maker for me.

Kodmaniac on
  • Options
    inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ugh, i just spent $320 ($299 plus s/h) to pre-order this from Play Asia ... this is not what a sensible person should be doing with this economy.

inthegray on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I would love too, as well.

I know I could play all my regular DS games; but, the region lock is such a huge turn off to me importing anything.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    inthegray wrote: »
    ugh, i just spent $320 ($299 plus s/h) to pre-order this from Play Asia ... this is not what a sensible person should be doing with this economy.

I did the same on eBay, so you're not alone in your stupidity and lack of self-control.

Djiem on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll probably pick this up, though I should be wholly excited and enthusiastic about a new hand-held not excited about 5 new features and pissed off about another 5.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Opium wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »

Same here. Ditto for the original Gameboy. And I plan to go from DS Phat to DSi.

Game Boy --> Game Boy Color (skipped Game Boy Pocket)
    Game Boy Advance --> Game Boy Micro (skipped Game Boy Advance SP)
    DS Phat --> DSi (skipped DS Lite)

I've always gotten the one in the middle, i.e. Pocket, SP, Lite (although I had a Phat). The ones in the middle are the best \o/

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What would DSi games do that stop them from being DS compatible? I just don't see how Nintendo would allow the camera being used in any meaningful way, especially given the fact that they are super-paranoid about potential misuses of it.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    FlapkeFlapke Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    AlphaTwo wrote: »
    What would DSi games do that stop them from being DS compatible? I just don't see how Nintendo would allow the camera being used in any meaningful way, especially given the fact that they are super-paranoid about potential misuses of it.

How about games with DLC, using the sd slot?

Flapke on
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Since this is Nintendo, we have to be thinking of this in terms of how they can possibly use the DSi to screw us over somehow.

So far my nightmare scenario is a new Ouendan made specifically for the DSi and thus region-locked.

I'm not planning on buying one right now because I love my Lite, but I'm open to the idea.

A DSi-only Elite Beat Agents sequel would have be buying the thing immediately.

Likewise, if the DSi offers VC-like downloads of old Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Game Gear, and Neo Geo Pocket Color games, I am so fucking in. I've been wanting a portable VC ever since the Wii was launched; give me Gameboy Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros. DX, Wario Land 2, Pokemon Blue, Sonic the Hedgehog, Gunstar Heroes and SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millenium on one SD card and I will be a happy camper.

shyguy on
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Flapke wrote: »
    AlphaTwo wrote: »

How about games with DLC, using the sd slot?
    We're assuming that DLC will happen on the DSi? Or has that been confirmed.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I really don't like the idea that there will be DSi only cartridges. The DSi is not a major upgrade in terms of graphicall prowess from the DS so I shouldn't have to buy a new system to play new games.

*Edit* Was reading the thread and saw this compared to the Gameboy Colour.... I guess I bought into that before. Still I'm older and wiser now.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The difference between the GB and GBC was colour. I don't see anything the DSi has that the DS doesn't that could affect gameplay anywhere near as much as colour did. The only difference is the cam and internal storage, and I don't see that getting a lot of in-game use.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dritz wrote: »
    *Edit* Was reading the thread and saw this compared to the Gameboy Colour.... I guess I bought into that before. Still I'm older and wiser now.

Man, the Gameboy Color was awesome. Do people not think that? Super Mario Bros. DX alone was worth the upgrade.

shyguy on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The only games that won't be compatable with the Lite will be ones that use the camera. I don't think any DS games will use the SD storage. That'll be for downloadable stuff, which of course would also not be compatable. I'm sure we'll still get plenty of regular DS love.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    psyck0 wrote: »
    The difference between the GB and GBC was colour. I don't see anything the DSi has that the DS doesn't that could affect gameplay anywhere near as much as colour did. The only difference is the cam and internal storage, and I don't see that getting a lot of in-game use.
    You really can't think of anything interesting a creative developer could do with a camera pointing at the player? Nothing at all? I mean, no offense, but that seems short-sighted. I remember people thinking the touchscreen on the DS wouldn't be a big deal. :P

I don't intend to buy one of these until there is a killer app, but c'mon, it's Nintendo. It's only a matter of time before they release some awesome first-party game that requires the DSi. It's entirely possible the third party developers won't jump on the bandwagon, though, due to the smaller user base.

gilrain on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    And to make matters even more head-scratching, The DSi's audio player will only play AAC format, which means no MP3s. I realize the same thing happened with the Wii, so this must be a Nintendo thing, but really? Really?

This does seem like a test-bed of a variety of features for a full handheld successor.

The most exciting thing about the DSi is that it gives Nintendo a chance to get a head start on releasing handheld VC games before the real successor to the DS eventually comes out. So hopefully the DS2 or whatever it will be called will have a good selection of VC games available upon release, especially if the DSi makes it out of Japan.

The DSi itself IMO is worthless if you have a DS Lite. I'll take the GBA's library of thousands of games over whatever handful is going to be available on the VC.

Saddler on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=200038

uhhh the camera features look too good to be true. Sure it might be possible, but that looks like a mock up and I'm thinking the DSi will have a lower framerate than what's shown. But it still looks nice.

I'm kinda interested in the photo blog, but I'd like to be able to export entries in a format I can put on the net somewhere.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »
    You really can't think of anything interesting a creative developer could do with a camera pointing at the player? Nothing at all? I mean, no offense, but that seems short-sighted. I remember people thinking the touchscreen on the DS wouldn't be a big deal. :P

I don't intend to buy one of these until there is a killer app, but c'mon, it's Nintendo. It's only a matter of time before they release some awesome first-party game that requires the DSi. It's entirely possible the third party developers won't jump on the bandwagon, though, due to the smaller user base.

Remember Mario Kart Arcade? If anything, I expect to see bonus content letting you do stuff like what was done with the cameras in that, rather than any DSi-only games. Nintendo is not Sega, they aren't going to split their user base.

Saddler on