As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ultimatum: House Of M Meets World's End?

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Ultimate Cable being Wolverine wasnt that bad I thought, it was an interesting twist on expectactions from the 616 version of the character.

The book went really downhill from there though I agree

I stopped buying it after that. I have no idea what happened next. If it's available on Marvel Digital one day I'll take a look.

Ultimate Proteus was bad enough (the whole World Tour arc really)

No it really gets so much worse. I didnt mind the Proteus arc that much, although it was the worst bit of Millar's run. Then I enjoyed both Bendis and BKV's runs on the book, Kirkman was the one who did the Cable arc and then really turned the book into a shithole.

Yeah, I dropped the book at the end of Millar's run. I flipped through Bendis, and it struck me more as Ult. Wolverine and the X-men type of book.

Plus Kubert>anyone else

noir_blood on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bendis' first arc was pretty much a Wolverine/Spider-Man team up story but his whole run wasn't like that

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Bendis did some good stuff on Ultimate X-Men. The issue about the boy with a mutant power that just melts people is maybe my favourite story from the book. Plus he had Finch on art, and I like me some Finch.

Bogart on
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Bendis is nice enough to make his references in the background
    Well not really in the background but it's not like LOOK BEN REILLY LOOK HUGE FUCKING PLAYER RIGHT HERE
    Now the fact that that character later plays a role in the Ultimate Clone Saga is fucking hysterical
    But they didn't really make any mention of what he did in 616 until then
    He was just a dude named Ben Reilly

If Leob started writing Ultimate Spider-man, one of the things her would do is have Ben Reilly inject himself with Peter's DNA that would transform himself into a genetic copy of Peter.

I don't know if he'd actually do that, but it seems apt. He likes taking harmless details (Scarlet Witch flirting with Ulton robots!) and blowing them up so they're as big and in your face as 616.

Dareth Ram on
    edited October 2008
    we already have a peter clone in the ultimate universe though

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And that would stop Loeb?

Wildcat on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    And that would stop Loeb?

Nothing can stop Loeb except a satellite that fires a massively powerful beam directly at him from space, weakening his powers until he can be imprisoned deep underground, only for a differently-colored version of him to spontaneously appear in another part of the country.

mattharvest on
    edited October 2008
    Well not spontaneously

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Fair enough. Fair enough.

mattharvest on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

We had several actually
    Still not sure what's up with the Gwen/Carnage thing

Me Too! on
    edited October 2008

We had several actually

I'm referring the one who's still active and running around and is an actual person not some weird symbiote changeling thing

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

We had several actually

I'm referring the one who's still active and running around and is an actual person not some weird symbiote changeling thing

You mean Jessica Drew? Cause she's coming back

smokmnky on
    edited October 2008
    That is exactly who I mean and I can't wait for her to come back.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ultimate Cable being Wolverine wasnt that bad I thought, it was an interesting twist on expectactions from the 616 version of the character.

The book went really downhill from there though I agree
    I didn't like the character but I liked the concept of the Ultimate character being different from the original.

I don't know if he'd actually do that, but it seems apt. He likes taking harmless details (Scarlet Witch flirting with Ulton robots!) and blowing them up so they're as big and in your face as 616.
    Or best of all:
    Ultimates 1 and 2: My brother and I are close, what's wrong with that?
    Ultimate 3: WE TOTALLY FUCK GUYS.

The Muffin Man on
    edited October 2008
    well the Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch stuff wasn't quite as subtle as you're making it out to be in Millar's run. I mean it was explicit in the subtext what was going on.

Loeb just dosen't bother with subtext.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    well the Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch stuff wasn't quite as subtle as you're making it out to be in Millar's run. I mean it was explicit in the subtext what was going on.

I don't agree: I think Millar left it ambiguous to just the right degree. In his material, they were clearly a little too close (like Angelina Jolie and her brother before that awkward kiss, close) but there was no actual implication of literal sex. This to me sounded plausible, since they've never really been able to trust anyone but each other. There were hints that Quicksilver lusted after his sister, but never that they followed through. And even then, it came out as overprotectiveness, not sex.

This wasn't just interesting, but also plausible.

The outright incest, no. Neither interesting nor plausible. Then you have the even more insane reactions by Wasp (where she chides Cap for being bothered by incest...) that don't just disappear because of the whole stupid robot thing...

mattharvest on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Then you have the even more insane reactions by Wasp (where she chides Cap for being bothered by incest...)

But they're in love, Matt. Don't you get it? In love. Incest is totally OK if you're in love.

Delduwath on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I don't agree: I think Millar left it ambiguous to just the right degree. In his material, they were clearly a little too close (like Angelina Jolie and her brother before that awkward kiss, close) but there was no actual implication of literal sex. This to me sounded plausible, since they've never really been able to trust anyone but each other. There were hints that Quicksilver lusted after his sister, but never that they followed through. And even then, it came out as overprotectiveness, not sex.

This wasn't just interesting, but also plausible.

The outright incest, no. Neither interesting nor plausible. Then you have the even more insane reactions by Wasp (where she chides Cap for being bothered by incest...) that don't just disappear because of the whole stupid robot thing...

I don't understand. They never came right out and said they fucked in Ultimates 3. It was all still just implied. The only difference is that they touch each other more in Ultimates 3 - though it's not like Pietro had his cock in her mouth during the Avenger's morning meeting or anything.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't understand. They never came right out and said they fucked in Ultimates 3. It was all still just implied. The only difference is that they touch each other more in Ultimates 3 - though it's not like Pietro had his cock in her mouth during the Avenger's morning meeting or anything.

You must've missed issue #3. There was a flashback to when they actually fucked. Wolverine watched.

It could've been like the thing between Swordsman and his sister in Thunderbolts. He's crazy-obsessed with her, he invites her to his quarters when she comes back to the team, everyone is nudging each other and winking, and then it turns out there's absolutely nothing sexual about their relationship whatsoever. Swordsman even comments on it himself, that he can't believe the rumors that are flying around. "Can you believe some of the stuff these guys say? Perverts, the lot of them."

Hell, I'm willing to bet that was a dig against the whole Ultimates situation.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited October 2008
    no I'm pretty sure the Struckers have always been written like that

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You mean they've always been written with vague implied incest undertones, or they've always been written as just really close while making it clear that it's nothing more than that?

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited October 2008
    the former

I mean they have been around a long time so maybe they havent ALWAYS been written like that, but thier creepy closeness is not new to the current T-Bolts run, it goes back to when they were Fenris.

I think

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And Wolverine watched.

Ew.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    the former

I mean they have been around a long time so maybe they havent ALWAYS been written like that, but thier creepy closeness is not new to the current T-Bolts run, it goes back to when they were Fenris.

I think

Yeah I can see that. But the recent Thunderbolts has pretty much put that to rest - there was never anything going on, and the Struckers themselves find all the rumors about them to be ridiculous and offensive. Almost makes me think that someone saw the Ultimates3 thing and said "Y'know what? Let's not do that with the Struckers, 'kay? Let's just clear that up right now."

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And Wolverine watched.
    Yep, he sure popped claw on that one.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited October 2008
    And Wolverine watched.

Ew.

Well, U.Wolverine is sort of a massive joke on 616.Wolverine's ubiquitous nature: the same way that Wolverine is the source of all mutants (and, more or less, all superpowers), he was also present at every event in history.

U.Wolverine is the Watcher. I'm calling it.

mattharvest on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    616 Fenris have always been unhealthily close, but there's never been any suggestion that they've consumated their unconscious tuetonic lust for each other.

Bogart on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ugh this entire incest discussion is grossing me out.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Added to the OP.

ultmtm002teasebjr0.png

Owenashi on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That's hardly up to par for poster art.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    it looks like an anime superhero version of xavier.

Super Chair Fly Mind Man

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My first thought was that he was soaring directly towards me in a rocket powered wheelchair, but I guess the actual intent is a birds eye view with him looking directly upwards. A background would have gone a long way...

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i think the lack of a backround is trying to indicate that you're only seeing it in your mind? or something?

PantheraOnca on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Photoshop the chair out and it'll look like he's swimming

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Who swims in a suit?

And while we're on the subject, do you think Xavier plays murderball? I can see him doing it, seeing as how he is shown as being athletic between his various spinal injuries.

Robos A Go Go on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Who swims in a suit?

Anyone who's been plucked out of a job interview and thrown into a shark tank.

Delduwath on
  • Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Who swims in a suit?

Anyone who's been plucked out of a job interview and thrown into a shark tank.

This is true.

Jester313 on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Too many of mine end that way.

Maybe evil geniuses aren't the best potential employers.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How many times have Xavier's legs been restored yet the guy still can't have Beast science him up some hair.

Weaver on
    edited October 2008
    I'm pretty sure he shaves his head since he's been traditionally shown as bald in flashbacks as well

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]