As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cave Story on the Wii! Huzzah!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »
    That video is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

*Also Cave Story looks very good. Don't have a Wii or a controller for my PC though, is the keyboard decent enough to play it?
    The game was built and designed around a keyboard. Yes it works fine.

A standard Logitech gamepad's default setting is really good for me with this. Changing the button configuration is a hassle, because you have to know each button's number. But the default is great.

It's absolutely PERFECT for shumps too. The D-pad is nice and clicky, and you'll never make an error.
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=logitech+gamepad&cid=9688014713871550725#ps-sellers

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gilder wrote: »
    Yep, I shall most certainly be buying this. Buying this to the limit in fact. I've only beaten Cave Story about 10 times, I'm not bored of it yet. I could always go for some more time attacks of "That" place. 4:24 is my best time on this PC but on my old and dead one I had under 4. We're talking in the 3:4x realm of times. I was truly one of the gods.
    You lie! Pics or it didn't happen. Also because I want to see what kind of title screen you get for such insanity.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lork wrote: »
    Yep, I shall most certainly be buying this. Buying this to the limit in fact. I've only beaten Cave Story about 10 times, I'm not bored of it yet. I could always go for some more time attacks of "That" place. 4:24 is my best time on this PC but on my old and dead one I had under 4. We're talking in the 3:4x realm of times. I was truly one of the gods.
    You lie! Pics or it didn't happen. Also because I want to see what kind of title screen you get for such insanity.

Which title screen, my 4'24 time or my under 4 one? Like I said, my computer with that file on it won't turn on. If I could somehow salvage that data though I would. For under 4 minutes you get King and a song that plays nowhere else in the game. At 4'24 you have Torneko and it plays the Mimiga Village song I think. There's also another screen for under 3 minutes but that is absolutely impossible to get. I've seen the speedrun video with no sound that goes under 3, it has to be some kind of TAS run. There's absolutely no way it's real because I've tried half the stuff he does and it doesn't work.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just beat it for the first time and i was wondering, is there any way to save after you've beaten the game? Or are you just supposed to quit/restart once you get the game over screen?

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Am I the only one who thought that Cave Story isn't special or even very good?

What exactly is so awesome about this game's gameplay, storyline, art, or music that makes apparently a lot of people into fanboys? Is it just because everyone sees it as a secret golden find from the internet so they want the prestige of sharing the secret and claiming that this indy game is awesome to prove their 1337 underground internet knowledge? I think maybe.

Compare any component of Cave Story to other well known and successful 2D platformers and it is clear that there is nothing special about it. I'm weary of seeing people proclaim the awesomeness of this non-awesome platformer.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

If only there were a way to show us your love for the game. With a video or something. Letting us see you play it .

Of course that's impossible.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Skeet!Skeet! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Squee! :'D This made my day. I'll probably buy this went it pops out.

Skeet! on
    ♦♥Winning an argument over the internet is like winning the Special Olympics...♣♠

WHAAAA━━Σ(゚Д゚|||)━━AAAAAAAAT!!!!

♤♧...Even if you win, you're still retarded.♡♢
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

What exactly is so awesome about this game's gameplay, storyline, art, or music that makes apparently a lot of people into fanboys? Is it just because everyone sees it as a secret golden find from the internet so they want the prestige of sharing the secret and claiming that this indy game is awesome to prove their 1337 underground internet knowledge? I think maybe.

Compare any component of Cave Story to other well known and successful 2D platformers and it is clear that there is nothing special about it. I'm weary of seeing people proclaim the awesomeness of this non-awesome platformer.

The game is incredibly fun. I'm sorry that I don't feel the need to justify that with a definitive list of how it compares in every way with other good platformers.

Next you're gonna talk badly of Knytt stories or something.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

For one thing, the jumping physics are perfect.

jothki on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jumping physics are fun, good looking graphics, unique art style, guns are satisfying and fun to use, plenty of secrets to find, engaging story with memorable characters, challenging and well designed boss fights, catchy music.

A better question would be what isn't exceptional about it. It ranks up with the best games from the SNES era and it was made by one guy.

The only fault I can think of is that it's over a bit too soon.

Food on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Food wrote: »
    Jumping physics are fun, good looking graphics, unique art style, guns are satisfying and fun to use, plenty of secrets to find, engaging story with memorable characters, challenging and well designed boss fights, catchy music.

A better question would be what isn't exceptional about it. It ranks up with the best games from the SNES era and it was made by one guy.

Oh yeah by far. It's also got such a great sense of pacing too. Just as you are in one area for too long another opens up or you get a new gun or a new power. It's just all done so well.

If you don't enjoy Cave Story then truly I feel bad for you since it is one of the best experiences in gaming.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

If only there were a way to show us your love for the game. With a video or something. Letting us see you play it .

Of course that's impossible.

That only works when the poerson who plays it sucks.

Peewi on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Oh yeah by far. It's also got such a great sense of pacing too. Just as you are in one area for too long another opens up or you get a new gun or a new power. It's just all done so well.

If you don't enjoy Cave Story then truly I feel bad for you since it is one of the best experiences in gaming.

It didn't last long enough. And holy fuck some of the bosses are hard. I've beaten it twice so far. I'm not a fan of THAT place (I guess we'll just call it that) on account of all the spikes that kill you in one hit.

The only thing that annoyed me while playing it on the compy is that the music was messed up and I kept getting weird buzz kind of sounds.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Henroid wrote: »

It didn't last long enough. And holy fuck some of the bosses are hard. I've beaten it twice so far. I'm not a fan of THAT place (I guess we'll just call it that) on account of all the spikes that kill you in one hit.

The only thing that annoyed me while playing it on the compy is that the music was messed up and I kept getting weird buzz kind of sounds.

The sound thing was screwing with me for a while too. I wasn't getting buzzing but sections of music were missing. Did you try lowering the sample rate conversion quality? If I have it at anything but the lowest setting, the sound screws up.

Gilder on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

The sound thing was screwing with me for a while too. I wasn't getting buzzing but sections of music were missing. Did you try lowering the sample rate conversion quality? If I have it at anything but the lowest setting, the sound screws up.
    Odd I've never had any problems with it.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I'd actually never heard of Cave Story til this thread.

I'm playing it on the PC with my SNES controller hooked up via USB and it's great fun!

I have nothing to contribute.

HUZZAH.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Huh, maybe I should try setting it to that.
    Aphostile wrote: »
    So I'd actually never heard of Cave Story til this thread.

I'm playing it on the PC with my SNES controller hooked up via USB and it's great fun!

I have nothing to contribute.

HUZZAH.

Of course you contributed something.

One of us. One of us.

Henroid on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This thread makes me so happy. Bought day one with the sexy new options. Hmm... actually, it still would be a day one buy, even if it was the exact same as the PC freeware version. Pixel deserves my gaming monies. I wonder offhand if you can gift Wiiware titles as well as VC. I'll probably ending up gifting it to everyone I know until my wallet withers and dies, if so.

It's also really good to hear about the music toggle option for both the original soundtrack and new mixes from the trailers. :^:

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yes.

Glal on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've checked it out before but never really got into it until I saw this thread, gave it another go and discovered there was a Linux port. (Not that I won't play games that aren't ported to Linux, but it reduces the nuisance of rebooting into Windows)

I'm having fun so far, just beat the Sand level...
    Did I really just kill a superpowered crying child? D:

theSquid on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The ending was kind of dumb when I played it a few years ago.
    Finished the sand level and dude was all like "Misery killed everyone one and I've got a dragon" and then we flew away, then the bad guy took over the world. I'm all for the anti-hero, but WTF, you know?

halkun on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wait wait wait, 'Sand level'? As in the one where you rescue the puppies?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    halkun wrote: »
    Finished the sand level and dude was all like "Misery killed everyone one and I've got a dragon" and then we flew away, then the bad guy took over the world. I'm all for the anti-hero, but WTF, you know?

That's not the real ending. If you choose no the game continues.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    He asks you if you want to escape, rather than try and rescue everyone. Only sissies said yes.

You sissy.

Glal on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wait what the fuck

how the hell did you get the impression that was the proper ending

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    I wonder offhand if you can gift Wiiware titles as well as VC.

I gifted Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People to my brother, so I guess you can.

Also: I have a Wii and have never played this game. Do I wait for the Wii version, or download the Mac version now?

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Oh come on, that has to be a joke!
    This game actually has three endings. You just chose the worst one.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Okay maybe I'm missing something but I don't see any options in anything that came with Cave Story Deluxe that lets me change sound options. Teach me!

Also, Halkun shame on you for running away instead of being a hero! D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    2) wide screen graphics, if you're just stretching your 480p signal to 16:9 (which is something you can do on a PC) then you're not really getting widescreen graphics.

Not true. Yes, the wii always outputs in 640x480. However, that doesn't mean the source image in it's framebuffer is always 640x480. Output != internal resolution.

What is actually going on when you choose the widescreen option from the wii's menu, is that it's doubling it's Y resolution. So it's frame buffer is set up for 640x960. Everything in the frame buffer is drawn extra tall. The end effect is that the image in the frame buffer ends up being extra skinny, so when it's stretched across the 480p/i output, it shows more to the left and the right.

This is how all widescreen is done (excluding HD, of course). It is true widescreen.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That's the best part about Cave Story. Every Yes/No dialogue actually gives a different result. The machinegun trade Yes/No choice will significantly affect the rest of the game. You can skip a boss fight with a No... and a certain Yes will let you skip a huge part of the game to get a shitty ending.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    atat23 wrote: »
    This is good news, never played it because I wanted to play it with a controller. After playing IWBTG I plan to never play another platforming game without a controller.

Actually tried hooking my 6 axis to my PC but the buttons it gives you to work with are impossible to use. The best I could come up with was left analogue to move, R3 to jump and down to shoot. It won't let you use any of the shoulder buttons or any of the main buttons (X, O,square or triangle)

I guess the main problem here is that the PS3 controllers aren't supported on PC. I've had no problems playing Cave Story with a wired 360 controller.

Incorrect. The PS3 controller works on any x86 version of windows. There are drivers available. It does not work in vista x64.

Also, contrary to what most say, but when you plug in a PS3 controller via it's charge cable, it does NOT continue to transmit data via bluetooth. It transmits it's data over the USB cable. Don't believe me? Try it out by plugging it into your PC.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    atat23 wrote: »
    This is good news, never played it because I wanted to play it with a controller. After playing IWBTG I plan to never play another platforming game without a controller.

Actually tried hooking my 6 axis to my PC but the buttons it gives you to work with are impossible to use. The best I could come up with was left analogue to move, R3 to jump and down to shoot. It won't let you use any of the shoulder buttons or any of the main buttons (X, O,square or triangle)

I guess the main problem here is that the PS3 controllers aren't supported on PC. I've had no problems playing Cave Story with a wired 360 controller.

Incorrect. The PS3 controller works on any x86 version of windows. There are drivers available. It does not work in vista x64.

Also, contrary to what most say, but when you plug in a PS3 controller via it's charge cable, it does NOT continue to transmit data via bluetooth. It transmits it's data over the USB cable. Don't believe me? Try it out by plugging it into your PC.

I realize that it works, but I'm pretty sure it isn't officially supported, which might explain why he can't use the face buttons.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So it's frame buffer is set up for 640x960. Everything in the frame buffer is drawn extra tall. The end effect is that the image in the frame buffer ends up being extra skinny, so when it's stretched across the 480p/i output, it shows more to the left and the right.
    The last part has nothing to do with the first part. Doubling the vertical resolution has nothing to do with the camera FOV.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    So it's frame buffer is set up for 640x960. Everything in the frame buffer is drawn extra tall. The end effect is that the image in the frame buffer ends up being extra skinny, so when it's stretched across the 480p/i output, it shows more to the left and the right.
    The last part has nothing to do with the first part. Doubling the vertical resolution has nothing to do with the camera FOV.

The argument at hand was that the wii couldn't do widescreen because the image is just a stretched 640 x 480 picture. I was explaining how a 640 x 480 picture can be a true widescreen resolution when stretched.

When they draw with a larger vertical resolution, integrally, they pull the camera back. The image is rendered at 640 x 960 with the assumption that more will be shown on the left and right sides of the screen. It's drawn at double the height so when it's stretched it maintains the correct aspect ratio. Of course doubling the vertical resolution by itself won't create widescreen without also taking into account the wider FOV. I was just explaining how they can work around the limitations of the resolution.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

Oh come on, that has to be a joke!
    This game actually has three endings. You just chose the worst one.

For starters, you can
    Save Curly, and stop Misery and the Doc from reviving The Core.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [edit] Re: TSR
    Fair enough. I just have a pet peeve about how people think widescreen works ever since the waah storm Bioshock's original implementation of it brought on.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Okay maybe I'm missing something but I don't see any options in anything that came with Cave Story Deluxe that lets me change sound options. Teach me!

Also, Halkun shame on you for running away instead of being a hero! D:

You have to actually change your computer's sound options. I'm on XP so it's in control panel and sound options. You should be able to find it by clicking advanced and then performance on your main sound device.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Okay so this game branches and I need help.
    I won't lose Curly Brace this time. I'm getting ahead of myself, but I am in the Sand Zone. I will not get the Machine Gun or the first Jetpack this time.

Should I take my Polaris to the gunsmith for the Spur? Or to the labyrinth store for the Snake?

Cantido on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Get the Spur. It's a million billion trillion times better than the Snake.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    Okay so this game branches and I need help.
    I won't lose Curly Brace this time. I'm getting ahead of myself, but I am in the Sand Zone. I will not get the Machine Gun or the first Jetpack this time.

Should I take my Polaris to the gunsmith for the Spur? Or to the labyrinth store for the Snake?
    The Spur is like the second best weapon in the game. (The best is the Nemesis.) Snake is still nice but the Spur is way better.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky