As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Awesome Posts! forum

AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
I was thinking that perhaps the best of the Awesome Posts? forum could be saved somewhere special. Maybe the archives, or maybe the Awesome Posts? forum could have a subforum called Awesome Posts!, and any thread with 5 stars after some set period of time gets saved for posterity.

AnteCantelope on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2008
    You're suggesting a chatlog to archive the best posts from the chatlog that archives the best posts from the forum?

Tube on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It does kind of make sense considering how many crappy posts are reported.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you want to find the highest rated posts in the Awesome Posts forum you can just sort on Rating.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You're suggesting a chatlog to archive the best posts from the chatlog that archives the best posts from the forum?

This makes it sound more confusing than it is. I'm suggesting that the best posts are not deleted, and are perhaps stored next to the original thread.

Like the chatlog, only bite-sized.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This makes it sound more confusing than it is. I'm suggesting that the best posts are not deleted, and are perhaps stored next to the original thread.

None of the posts are being deleted.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

Doesn't that forum default to show from the beginning?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Oh.

I just assumed that it got cleaned out like anything else. Nevermind then.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Oh.

Nothing else is getting cleaned out, either.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited October 2008
    I did delete a bunch of zero and one-star threads from there once before. I should probably do it again.

Ramius on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Oh.

The default view for most forums is set to only show threads with activity only for the past 2 weeks. The older threads still exist though - and you can change the timeframe at the bottom of any topic listing page.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    JC of DI wrote: »

Oh.

The default view for most forums is set to only show threads with activity only for the past 2 weeks. The older threads still exist though - and you can change the timeframe at the bottom of any topic listing page.

Huh, I never knew that, and just figured that older threads were purged. Thanks.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ramius wrote: »
    I did delete a bunch of zero and one-star threads from there once before. I should probably do it again.

Goose is going to be so upset.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    bowen wrote: »

So tempted to report this one. :lol:

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I thought about it, but then I thought that others might not find it awesome and it would get cleaned up by Ramius anyway.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cyvros wrote: »

I thought about it, but then I thought that others might not find it awesome and it would get cleaned up by Ramius anyway.

Yeah I don't want to be one of those types of awesome posts. Where the author feels horrible that something like that was reported and they have to shower themselves 8 times in the span of a day. So, everything goose reported.

[tiny]I'm sorry goose, I love you.[/tiny]

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Oh.

Nothing else is getting cleaned out, either.

Maybe set it so that every thread with less than three stars is automatically deleted when it gets bumped to the second page.

Because I mean are even the two star threads worth keeping around?

Butler on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Why code that when they could just tell the mods, "Hey delete crappy threads."

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I guess it might be easier to get the mods to do the equivalent "by hand" rather than going to the trouble of coding it.

Is this sort of thing important? Like, does the extra storage space we gain help at all?

Butler on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Butler wrote: »
    Yeah I guess it might be easier to get the mods to do the equivalent "by hand" rather than going to the trouble of coding it.

Is this sort of thing important? Like, does the extra storage space we gain help at all?
    threads are just a few kB on a database. We'd have bigger problems before we'd run out of space to store threads, I'm sure.

Aldo on