As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Overlord 2: The Seal Cub Clubbing Club (trailer in op, Demo on XBL, PSN and PC)

LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
med_overlord_ii_foodchain_logo.jpg

Well, it's been announced. At the moment, the site with the most information seems to be wikipedia, and its links only go to three sites, two of which have exactly the same wording and information and the same two screenshots. The IGN link is the best one.

Nevertheless, it looks awesome. Minions can do more things such as 'riding mounts, using war machines and sailing warships in world-changing battles'. The controls have been refined. The world is going to be more 'realistic' so that environmental issues and politics can be parodied in the game. The enemy is a roman inspired force, bent on eradicating magic and taking over the world.

Looks pretty cool. On a side note, some other ovelord games have been announced, for the wii and the ds.

Here is the ign link.

Edit: new trailer on gametrailers.com. Looks pretty cool. In the first bit it looks like you can play as a minion. Apart from that, it looks kinda similar, but that's alright I guess.

According to an article from eurogamer, choices are now much more about choosing to enslave, capture, etc or going around killing all in your wake. There will be no pansy good ending in this one.

Minion mounts will feature much more prominently in this game, with each colour (apart from blue) having it's own distinct mount (wolves, salamanders and spiders). You can get minion champions which you can take control of, which can lead minions.

Having your minions don the armor of enemies now does more than simply give them a health and damage bonus. They can now disguise themselves to sneak undetected past, and I quote 'key points'. (hopefully this will be used for a bit more than just set pieces).

Bosses will be more 'epic' and more closely tied with the story. 'You will be given a reason to hate them'.

Clubbing baby seals is actually a bit which is promoted by the developers as 'being the most evil thing you can do'.

Beings we can expect to encounter include Florian the elf, an emo, enviromental activist. Theiving gnomes will also be introduced.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48766.html

I might one day turn this into a proper OP.

Update: Demo is up on XBL and PSN (but not PC, RAARGH), someone give me opinions and impressions. Link to filefront site for pc download, finally.

And release dates are:
NA June 23, 2009
EU June 26, 2009
AUS July 9, 2009

Lalabox on

• psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    'riding mounts, using war machines and sailing warships in world-changing battles'.

Thats PR speak for finishing levels isn't it?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Maybe... plot is that a Romanesque Empire out to destroy all things magical, which includes the Overlord...

...also includes Elves, Dwarves, Unicorns, etc. So once again in the humor of the game, even though your the Evil Overlord, you will still end up doing things that could be considered good.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    'riding mounts, using war machines and sailing warships in world-changing battles'.

Yes.

We're not actually going to solve the financial crisis by sending minions at it.

Not to say that minions couldn't solve the financial crisis. There just aren't any on this plane of existence.

mental image: 35 brown minions pillaging through Wall Street, killing people left and right and making armour and helmets out of their suitcases and Wall Street Journals.

Aldo on
    edited September 2008
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Maybe... plot is that a Romanesque Empire out to destroy all things magical, which includes the Overlord...

...also includes Elves, Dwarves, Unicorns, etc. So once again in the humor of the game, even though your the Evil Overlord, you will still end up doing things that could be considered good.
    Good and evil are two sides of the same coin anyway.

Aldo on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Hmm. So I take it the non-Evil ending is the canon one, then?

WotanAnubis on
  • KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow, minions riding mounts, that's pretty awesome, although I think the whole "Sailing ships" part is just gonna be you going on a ship and ordering your minions to man the wheel.

By the way, I was never able to find how you get the Raising Hell exp for PC. Anyone knows?

EDIT: Aldo, your vision has brought joy to my heart.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I must say, I like how this franchise has taken off. A sequel and not one but TWO spinoff games (Overlord: Minions for the DS, and Overlord: Dark Legend for the Wii.)

Awesome.

Undead Scottsman on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Its such a good game I cant wait for 2....damn them and their...having to make the game...before...its done...>.>....*cough*...I want it!

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Korlash wrote: »
    By the way, I was never able to find how you get the Raising Hell exp for PC. Anyone knows?

You have to download it online. I know Gamesplanet.com has it.

Cinders on
  • KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cinders wrote: »
    Korlash wrote: »

You have to download it online. I know Gamesplanet.com has it.

Grr, I was certain the devs had promised the PC players that raising hell would be free...

Is it worth it?

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is the first one good? I never got it because of some of the control issues and how people said it degraded in the later parts of the game.

Gaming-Module on
    edited September 2008
    Is the first one good? I never got it because of some of the control issues and how people said it degraded in the later parts of the game.
    Ask yourself this: Do I like British humour? Do I like original gameplay elements? Did I enjoy Dungeon Keeper?

if the answer to any of these question is a resounding YES: get this game out of the budget bin right the fuck now.

Aldo on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lets be honest, nobody liked dungeon lord.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The expansion is really cool. I loved the hell out of this game. I played the demo and I wasn't sure if it was worth buying... But then I went to a friend's house and tested it out for an hour.

Went out and bought it the next day, and spent the next 12 hours playing through the vanilla Overlord. Then the next 8 hours playing through the expansion.

urahonky on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Ask yourself this: Do I like British humour? Do I like original gameplay elements? Did I enjoy Dungeon Lord?

if the answer to any of these question is a resounding YES: get this game out of the budget bin right the fuck now.

What the hell is Pikmin then? Super original?

Xtarath on
    edited September 2008
    Xtarath wrote: »
    What the hell is Pikmin then? Super original?
    there's only 2 games in the world with the specific mechanic of ordering minions around in this fashion. I call that original.

Aldo on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lets be honest, nobody liked dungeon lord.
    Was it ever released in a playable state? Hell, was it even released in a state that was fun to play?

Silpheed on
    edited September 2008
    shit, I mean Dungeon Keeper.

Man I'm slow today.

Aldo on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    shit, I mean Dungeon Keeper.

Man I'm slow today.
    Well that explains it, since it's a pretty big step in quality from Dungeon Keeper to Dungeon Lord :P

Silpheed on
    edited September 2008
    I don't think I've ever seen or played Dungeon Lords. How the fuck did I mess that one up? D:

I'll be over here looking ashamed.

Aldo on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Overlord 2 is being written by Rhianna Pratchett the same as the first so that's something of a good sign.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited September 2008
    I never tried the expansion pack for Overlord since I gameflyd it and by the time it came out I had already sent it back, think its worth renting again just to try? I mean I did absolutely love the game, nah I think Ill try to find it and buy it this time. I wanted to back when I rented it but was short on moneyz.

mastrius on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey, if they can actually finish the levels this time I'd buy it day one.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yes.

We're not actually going to solve the financial crisis by sending minions at it.

Not to say that minions couldn't solve the financial crisis. There just aren't any on this plane of existence.

mental image: 35 brown minions pillaging through Wall Street, killing people left and right and making armour and helmets out of their suitcases and Wall Street Journals.

That is hilarious. How about greenpeace minions attempting to solve the 'environmental issues' that are going to arise?
    Or minion elections in the politics bit of the game?
    They could do some pretty hilarious things with the story, mixing minions and real world problems.

Lalabox on
    edited October 2008
    Sorry for the double post (although the posts are nearly 2 weeks apart), but I think it looks like the official website got updated with a bit more Pr speak, but some of it is a bit interesting.
    The Minions return smarter, deadlier (and funnier) and are ready to fight in large scale battles that will see their wild pack mentality squaring up to the organised legions of the Glorious Empire.

It'll be nice to see how the organised legions bit will work out. Hopefully, it isn't just making their ai programmed to stay in blocks of infantry. Or just elaborate scripting.

Wikipedia has some more to say on the subject as well:
    Minions can be named, so the player feels more attached to it.
    The environment is designed to allow more diversity. A icy world called "Nordberg" (which translates to German as "North Mountain"), a Magic Sanctuary Domain and the cities of the enemy empire are cited as new locations so far.
    The gameplay of the first game has been retained for this sequel, but, according to Sas, it has been greatly expanded. The smartness and destructiveness of the minions have been improved and the new AI is able to do more things than before.

Well, quite a bit of that was from before, but I didn't just want to come up with only two little quotes. I'm pretty excited about rampaging through Roman cities, killing anyone wearing a toga. The one thing I'm slightly concerned about is this:
    Sas [the lead designer, I'm assuming] also says that controls and visuals have been improved to make the game more attractive to a broader audience.

I really, really liked the visuals of the first game. It was all a twisted parody on life and fantasy. I'm alright with the shift towards a more realistic sort of world, but I really hope they retain the twisted parody part. And the controls being improved for a broader audience, well, they already said they were going to expand the gameplay, and the controls were reasonably simplistic in the first game, so I doubt they could dumb it down. But we shall see.

Lastly, something which I missed before: The game includes a seal-clubbing simulator!
    overlord-ii-on-the-way-20080813005712437_640w.jpg

Lalabox on
    edited October 2008
    I don't think the broader public wants more realistic graphics, I'm going to guess everything will just look a little crisper and shinier.

Aldo on
    edited February 2009
    I posted a new trailer for you all. It's not much, but when I get the time, I post a little more comprehensive information.

Lalabox on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I will get this. The first + xpac was BRILLIANT. Sometimes frustrating, but shitloads of fun.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    edited February 2009
    So, an interview with the producer just came out on gametrailers. Nothing's said that's that dramatic, except for that the new mounts also 'give a navigational puzzle aspect'. Hopefully this isn't just dev talk for really really bad controls

Interview

Lalabox on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    demo is on XBox live right now... d/ling =o

aBlank on
    edited June 2009
    Cool, tell me what it's like.

Lalabox on
    edited June 2009
    It's pretty much Overlord 1, but with minion mounts (that can jump gaps, which was cool) that looks VERY GOOD and plays essentially the same. The only issue I had is that it was easy to get confused as to where to go in the ice area; even with the new map (which is also awesome.)

Undead Scottsman on
    edited June 2009
    The first was great, so that's fine. As it's the first area (being snow and all) I guess the cooler stuff comes later. Glad to see that the new stuff introduced was good.

Also, some new trailers up on gametrailers, one of which is awesome:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50046.html

Lalabox on
    edited June 2009
    Like I said, it looks VERY crisp compared to the first one. It's a great looking game. (Well, the character animations in those elves was kinda poor. Ah well.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hmmm, I'll have to give the demo a whirl. The first was moderately entertaining for a short while but even by the end of the demo had become a chore.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited June 2009
    DON'T DELAY
    BE EVIL TODAY!

Aldo on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with pointer controls in the Wii Overlord they're making.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    demo was fun for what it was. It plays exactly like the first. Looks good, like the new map. New spell was fun to play around with too. I guess mana-regenerates now? Love the humor... hippie elves were hilarious.

aBlank on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's up on PSN as well, just in case anyone was hoping for that.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    edited June 2009
    This made me want to pick up the first game...again. But this time Ill keep it. I sold it before I even got to play the expansion that came out. Unless that was only for maps for online in which case it doesnt matter. But if it had any single player Ill pick that up with the first one and beat it again before the next game comes out. Im pretty damn excited as the first game is a huge favorite of mine. It was just damned fun. And the demo for the second one (and seal clubbing) is fucking awesome. So very very excited.

mastrius on