As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for some Music Recomendations

NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + FlowSeaRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I usually buy one or two albums a month off Amazon.com's MP3 service or from other mp3 websites (Magnatune, etc), but lately when I go to buy something I just draw a blank on what to get/try or can't quite find an album that clicks enough with me that I feel worth purchasing. It’s really becoming frustrating, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try to try to get some suggestions on albums/artists that are worth giving a listen to since I obviously can't decide on my own.

Just for a point of reference for my tastes, these are the artists/bands I've gotten stuff in the last several months (in no particular order):

Jami Seiber
Disturbed
Dragonforce
Coheed & Cambria
Rush
The Mother Hips
Nirvana
Foo Fighters
Stone Temple Pilots
Hybrid
Enigma
Symphony X
Juno Reactor

I appreciate the help and/or any suggestions anybody might have. :)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
Naphtali on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Type them into Pandora.com.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kamelot is a band you should really listen to. I think you'd like them.

Porcupine Tree is great (Fear of a Blank Planet CD is amazing, so is In Absentia) as well. Try them out and let me know if you like em.

urahonky on
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Modest Mouse
    Beck
    Arcade Fire
    The Hold Steady
    LCD Soundsystem
    King Crimson
    Mastodon

I feel like, looking at what you've enjoyed, you're on the cusp if really getting into great music. Try these, hope you find something you like in them.

Italict bands are ones you'll probably resonate most with at first.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Porcupine Tree for sure.

maybe Death from Above 1979, which I recommend just because I'm listening to them right now

Circa Survive might suit your tastes if you're into Coheed's vocal style

Rush would lend itself to prog, so try Dream Theater and Explosions in the Sky

I'm kind of having trouble thinking of a specific recommendation considering you've listed bands that have been just generally popular, and don't have much in common. Anything more specific that you're looking for?

Monoxide on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you have the latest version of ITunes, use the Genius sidebar to recommend music for you.

As for personal recommendations, I have to agree with Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Dream Theater and Mastodon. They seem right up your alley.

For something a little more out there try Cynic. They're a very technical death metal band. Really cool stuff.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    in my experience, the Genius sidebar really sucks

you can try it if you want to, but I've rarely found music related to what I'm listening to, let alone something similar.

Monoxide on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For stuff closer to the Foo Fighters/Nirvana/Stone Temple Pilots, I'd suggest:

Queens of the Stone Age
    Soundgarden
    Pearl Jam
    The Melvins
    Led Zeppelin if you don't already listen to them.

For Dragonforce (which you shouldn't listen to :P), I would suggest:

Blind Guardian
    Iced Earth

Juno Reactor is great, but nothing is quite like them. Some of their stuff is similar to Paul Oakenfold and Massive Attack, though.

You can use last.fm, or if you're American you can listen to Pandora.com, to find similar stuff, but it's hit and miss. I'd also suggest listening to CBC Radio 3 (Canadian Indie station) on the internet.

James on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh shit, Queens of the Stone Age....

I should shoot myself for not thinking of them! (and Kyuss for that matter).

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

Porcupine Tree is great (Fear of a Blank Planet CD is amazing, so is In Absentia) as well. Try them out and let me know if you like em.

Oh, Kamelot sounds good. I'll definetly grab one of their albums off Amazon, any specific recomendations? I was listening to The Black Halo and it was pretty enjoyable.

Fear of a Blank Planet doesn't have all of its tracks available for download so I'll just have to order the cd, but that one sounded really great as well. Thanks for the two recomendations, they were almost exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.
    Beck wrote: »
    Modest Mouse
    Beck
    Arcade Fire
    The Hold Steady
    LCD Soundsystem
    King Crimson
    Mastodon

I feel like, looking at what you've enjoyed, you're on the cusp if really getting into great music. Try these, hope you find something you like in them.

Italict bands are ones you'll probably resonate most with at first.

Oh, Beck is definitely one of my favorites, but I just couldn't get into his new album; I'll probably buy it eventually. King Crimson and Mastodon are alright, but I've never felt the need to collect too much of their stuff. I'll definetly give the rest of the bands you mentioned a listen to though.

[EDIT] That's what happens when I lose track of posting to take care of stuff. =p Thanks for all your suggestions everybody, now I have enough of a list of music to try out to cover me practically for the next six months or so practically. :)

Naphtali on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You could try out Sonata Arctica, they're a power metal band along the lines of Dragonforce (less over the top but still kind of the same idea).

And even though I'm going out on a bit more of a limb here, try Nightwish. Finnish power / symphonic metal band with a wicked female vocalist (they have a new one now who in my opinion is better than the last one). You might like them, maybe not.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • LPDustinLPDustin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kings of leon?

LPDustin on
    edited October 2008
    Naphtali wrote: »

Oh, Kamelot sounds good. I'll definetly grab one of their albums off Amazon, any specific recomendations? I was listening to The Black Halo and it was pretty enjoyable.

Fear of a Blank Planet doesn't have all of its tracks available for download so I'll just have to order the cd, but that one sounded really great as well. Thanks for the two recomendations, they were almost exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

With Kamelot: All of their CDs are really good. Even their newest one: Ghost Opera, but my favorite is the Black Halo. His voice is fantastic.

With Porcupine Tree: Yeah, the entire CD is really good. If you like them, maybe you'd like TOOL? Pick up the Lateralus CD.

urahonky on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    James wrote: »
    For stuff closer to the Foo Fighters/Nirvana/Stone Temple Pilots, I'd suggest:

Queens of the Stone Age
    Soundgarden
    Pearl Jam
    The Melvins
    Led Zeppelin if you don't already listen to them.

Although I second the Melvins (saw them live the other night and they were awesome as usual!) be wary of picking up just any of their albums, as some of the doomier stuff might not be to taste. Stoner Witch or Senile Animal are good starting points. 8-)

Grenn on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Type them into Pandora.com.

How did I ever live without this wonderful website?

You. I owe you a sloppy blowjob, my good man.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Billy Tallent, you wont regret it.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm going to echo: Dream Theatre, Metropolis pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory.

Most awesome concept album ever.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
    edited October 2008

A lot of my friends hate Billy Tallent, but dammit I love him.

urahonky on
    edited October 2008

A lot of my friends hate Billy Talent, but dammit I love him.

Its not a him its a full band. Billy Talent is just the name.

i n c u b u s on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008

I normally refer to the lead singer. :P

urahonky on
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jag Panzer
    Drowning Pool
    Tad - might be hard to find, I've only ever heard one song by them, Lycanthrope, and it was awesome.
    King Diamond, perhaps? I think he recently released a new album and of course has tons of older stuff.
    Testament - they recently(ish) released The Formation of Damnation. Awesome. Not quite in line with the stuff you've got listed, but you clearly like some heavier stuff, and this cd rules.

Jimmy King on
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    When I read your list, I thought of Kamelot and Sonata Arctica. Make sure you get the newer Kamelot albums, though (the ones from 1998 on). The bands first vocalist was awful; the new guy is great, though, and in fact his vocals are some of the best in any power metal band.

CycloneRanger on
  • LPDustinLPDustin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Alice in Chains and Bush for somthing similar to Nirvana

LPDustin on
  • FreakinchairFreakinchair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MUSE

Freakinchair on
    I'd construct a situation such that everyone died at the exact same moment so that we could attack whatever afterlife there happens to be en masse and so take it over and create a perfect unending afterlife existence. Also, everyone who wanted one would have an afterlife pony.
    edited October 2008

>_> No one in the band is named Billy Talent its based off of character lol. Its cool though.

@Naph- Now looking more closely at your list you have the same taste as my best friend. Chevelle goes well with the Disturbed area and also if you like coheed and cambria then you'll love the Fall of Troy. They tour together a lot and work on theyre albums together a lot so the styles are somewhat the same.

i n c u b u s on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008

>_> No one in the band is named Billy Talent its based off of character lol. Its cool though.

I wasn't going to reply but it still makes me look stupid. :P I meant when I say "I love him" I meant the lead singer.

urahonky on
    edited October 2008

I wasn't going to reply but it still makes me look stupid. :P I meant when I say "I love him" I meant the lead singer.
    Oh I'm sorry, my misunderstanding then. Wow I feel like a jerk now lol.

i n c u b u s on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Arctic Monkeys
    The Flaming Lips
    Cold War Kids
    Muse
    Modest Mouse
    Kasabian
    Franz Ferdinand
    etc

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
    edited October 2008
    I second (third? Fourth?) Muse.

Also, Stabbing Westward is pretty good.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Shit arod, I was gonna suggest the Flaming Lips. I love Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2008
    You know, I couldn't get into Muse. I heard the titular track off of Black Holes and Revelations from a youtube vid and bought that single, but listening to the rest of the album preview off of Amazon... I dunno, it felt like the odd ball off of the whole cd compared to the rest of it. It felt like they were trying too hard to sound like Radiohead to me, which was weird because I like Radiohead.

Kamelot was awesome, I think I must have listened to The Black Halo at least five times at work today while coding. Thanks urahonky and everybody else who suggested it.

As for all the rest of the recomendations:

Stuff I have already/familar with:
    Queens of the Stone Age- love them, got a few of their cds.
    Soundgarden -hell yes. I just wish some of Cornell's solo stuff was a little better, I only really got into Euphoria Morning (and that Soundgarden and/or Audioslave were still around, c'est la vie).
    Alice in Chains - another great band that's not around anymore, sadly.
    Chevelle - have all of their cd's except the first one. awesome band.
    Stabbing Westward - I have a couple of their songs, but haven't tried any of their full albums. Any recomendations?
    Nightwish - I think Once is probably my favorite album from them (that, and its the only complete one I have. really need to get more of their stuff).
    Tool - my sister has like, everything they've ever done, I just keep forgetting to rip her collection (and, have her find them in the clusterfuck that is her room)
    Led Zepplin - its Zep, enough said? =p
    Pearl Jam - best band where you can't understand what the lead singer is saying half the time? =p

Stuff to try:
    Porcupine Tree
    Modest Mouse
    Arcade Fire
    The Hold Steady
    LCD Soundstream
    Circa Survive
    Death from Above 1979
    Explosions in the Sky
    Cynic
    Blind Guardian
    Iced Earth
    King Crimson
    Sonata Arctica
    Kings of Leon
    The Melvins
    Billy Talent
    Dream Theater
    Jag Panzer
    Drowning Pool
    Tad
    Testament
    Bush
    Fall of Troy
    Arctic Monkeys
    The Flaming Lips
    Cold War Kids
    Kasabian
    Franz Ferdinand

Phew, I think I have enough recommendations to last me a year or so to catch up to all this stuff. Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help. =D

Naphtali on
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Uh.

Anberlin
    Black Stone Cherry

Off the top of my head.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
    edited October 2008
    You know, I couldn't get into Muse. I heard the titular track off of Black Holes and Revelations from a youtube vid and bought that single, but listening to the rest of the album preview off of Amazon... I dunno, it felt like the odd ball off of the whole cd compared to the rest of it. It felt like they were trying too hard to sound like Radiohead to me, which was weird because I like Radiohead.

Their recent CD fucking sucks compared to their first three, at least in my opinion. I think I'm in the minority on that one, though, but really, it took a long time for me to get behind their latest album. If I wasn't alread a giant fan, I think it's safe to say I never would have.

Muse albums, best to worst (in my opinion):
    Absolution: Probably one of my favorite albums, period, and this is coming from a guy who doesn't generally like this type of music at all. Songs to try include Apocalypse Please, Stockholm Syndrome, Sing for Absolution, The Small Print. Honestly, the whole album kicks ass. The worst songs on Absolution still tend to be better than the best songs on 90% of most other albums I've listened to.

Origin of Symmetry: Not as good as Absolution, but still definitely a solid album. Songs to try: Newborn, Citizen Erased, Darkshines, Micro Cuts (admittedly the last is an acquired taste).

Showbiz: In third place is their first album. Still a damn good album overall, but compared to the other two, well... it's got big shoes to fill. Songs: Sunburn, Muscle Museum, Unintended, Uno, Showbiz

Black Holes and Revelations: Eh. Sucks compared to their other shit. Assassin and Hoodoo are alright.

Although if you don't like them because they sound like Radiohead, then I'm not sure there's anything they do that'll work for you.

... Re: Stabbing Westward. Their Albums vary in sound a bit, from CD to CD. It would depend on what songs you've already got, but my favorite albums are Darkest Days, Wither Blister Burn & Peel, Stabbing Westward and Ungod, in that order.

Some of their best songs, per album (most recent album to oldest):
    Stabbing Westward: So Far Away, Wasted, Angel... hard to say, I don't listen to this album that much.

Darkest Days: The Thing I Hate, On Your Way Down, Save Yourself, Haunting Me, Sometimes it Hurts, When I'm Dead

Wither: I Don't Believe, Why, Sleep, What Do I Have to Do

Ungod: Violent Mood Swings, and I think the other one's called Control, but I can't remember.

Anyway, sorry about the huge post. I just hate to see good bands go unappreciated, ha. Stabbing Westward's broken up now, but the singer formed another band called The Dreaming. I think it kinda sucks, but if you like his voice, you might give it a try.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited October 2008
    Seeks wrote: »
    Their recent CD fucking sucks compared to their first three, at least in my opinion. I think I'm in the minority on that one, though, but really, it took a long time for me to get behind their latest album. If I wasn't alread a giant fan, I think it's safe to say I never would have.

Although if you don't like them because they sound like Radiohead, then I'm not sure there's anything they do that'll work for you.

I agree with you on Black Holes, something about it sounds off to me (except for the titular song, which sounds like its from another cd entirely). And I guess I wasn't clear enough in what I said; I didn't like the cd because they sounded like Radiohead (I like Radiohead, especially everything up to and including OK Computer), but that they were trying too hard to imp off of Radiohead, I guess that sounds weird but it felt like they were just being musically lazy. I'll certainly give another one of their cds a shot though, can't hurt at least.

... Re: Stabbing Westward. Their Albums vary in sound a bit, from CD to CD. It would depend on what songs you've already got, but my favorite albums are Darkest Days, Wither Blister Burn & Peel, Stabbing Westward and Ungod, in that order.

Anyway, sorry about the huge post. I just hate to see good bands go unappreciated, ha. Stabbing Westward's broken up now, but the singer formed another band called The Dreaming. I think it kinda sucks, but if you like his voice, you might give it a try.

Seems like all the mp3s I have of them are from Darkest Days, I'll have to look into getting the full album then. Thanks for the suggestions man.

Naphtali on
  • pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I enjoy Billy Talent a lot. The only thing that I dislike about them is that some of their songs off their first album sounded a lot like like At the Drive-In's songs (Listen to Try Honesty and The One Armed Scissor). I've heard quite a few of their songs off their first album sounded a lot like At the Drive-In. But their next albums are amazing. The guitarist is really good. You know he was an artist before he did Billy Talent? He was offered a job at EA for $80,000 a month but didn't go for it because he wanted to be in a band.

My all time favorite band to listen right now at the moment is Thrice. They cover basically all music spectrums that I like listening to. From earliest to latest, their genre/genre blurring goes like this: Punk/Hardcore -> Metal/Hardcore
    -> Hardcore/Progressive -> The Alchemy Index. The Alchemy Index is basically four EPs that cover the four "elements" (Fire, Water, Earth, Air). Each cd kind of revolves around the elements, like fire is very heavy and guitar based, whereas Earth is all acoustic/folksy kinds of stuff. Water and Air are a mixture of progressive, indie, electronic, and all sorts of stuff.

My favorite album by them is Vheissu though. God I love that album.

I've also been listening to some Hot Water Music and Death by Stereo.

pinenut_canary on
  • PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    The Kills - Midnight Boom

We seem to have some similar tastes, but I think most of the mainstream stuff right now is pretty crap.

PeekingDuck on
    edited October 2008
    My all time favorite band to listen right now at the moment is Thrice. They cover basically all music spectrums that I like listening to. From earliest to latest, their genre/genre blurring goes like this: Punk/Hardcore -> Metal/Hardcore
    -> Hardcore/Progressive -> The Alchemy Index. The Alchemy Index is basically four EPs that cover the four "elements" (Fire, Water, Earth, Air). Each cd kind of revolves around the elements, like fire is very heavy and guitar based, whereas Earth is all acoustic/folksy kinds of stuff. Water and Air are a mixture of progressive, indie, electronic, and all sorts of stuff.

My favorite album by them is Vheissu though. God I love that album.

Oh yes. Thrice is amazing. I'm not digging The Alchemy Index very much, but seriously... Every one of their CDs is gold. Artist in the Ambulance, Vheissu... Well, you get the idea. All of them great!

urahonky on
  • MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The only thing about Muse that is similiar to Radiohead is Matt's voice. And the fact that they are both really, really ridiculously good.

Radiohead has a decent wall of sound and are definetly "out there". But if you've seen HAARP, you know that Muse is a tour de force in their own right, and I think it does both bands an injustice to compare them. Especially when its just b/c of the voice. Its also an outrage to think that Muse opened for fucking My Chemical Romance here in the states. My hats go off to europe for almost ALWAYS knowing what good music is.

Maybe its my lack of a full Radiohead discography, but I never really hear them go balls to the fucking wall like Muse does. Assassin, Stockholme Syndrome, Take a Bow...shit is nuts. There's also great diversity when it comes to Muse, from songs like Invincible (where a slow song has a sweep guitar solo) and a dance rock jam like Supermassive.

Explosions In the Sky and The Flaming Lips are great bands as well.

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
  • edited October 2008
    MUSE

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.
    Muse isn't that good, try listening to more than 5 bands and you'd know that.

BlackbeardonGuitar on
    n13908669_48529144_9322.jpg
    edited October 2008
    MUSE

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.
    Muse isn't that good, try listening to more than 5 bands and you'd know that.

A) Muse sucks and every one of their fans has listened to five bands or less

or

B) Muse is fucking awesome

Yeah, that's a tough one.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just noticed you left King Diamond off of the list of stuff to try from the bands I listed. Don't do that. King Diamond is awesome and everyone should listen to him regularly. I need to listen to him more.

Jimmy King on