As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tactical Combat games: Turn-Based awesome.

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just got Disgaea DS and it's pretty fun

Sars_Boy on
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Fallout Tactics owwwwwwns. And the Silent Storm games are pretty cool too!

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    UFO:Enemy Unknown has been permanently installed on my machine since 2001. I don't always finish a game, but I like being able to drop in and visit for a mission or two at my whim. It's been a pretty regular fixtureon my hard drive since its release (1995?).

The only other game thats true of is Star Control 2 / The Ur-Quan Masters.

In turn based stuff, I also liked Battle Isle / Battle Isle 2200, back in the day. Didn't find hex-based battles quite as interesting when depicting actual tanks and troops, be it modern or WWII, but if I can have fantasy futuristic rail guns pounding robot hydrofoil patrol boats in a river, I'm there.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    are there any browser based tactical strategy games?

I was working on a military ASL-like version of one about two years ago, but my attempts to scale it up too much eroded the plan. Now I basically just want to make ASL in a browser.

NotASenator on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My favorite strategy game ever remains Dragon Force, for sheer replayability(eight different campaigns, each having at least 30 hours of play to it).

Beyond that, I also enjoy the likes of Disgaea, FFT, etc.

As X-Com goes, there's also a GBA game called Rebelstar Tactical Command that all of seven people have ever played, which is pretty fun.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If anyone here has a PS3, lives in the UK or you can just make a new account and say you're from the UK, there's a demo up of a new game in this genre called Valkyria Chronicles. It'll probably come to the US PS3 network soon. I played a bit of it and it seems groovy. It has a neat sketchy art style. Definitely worth checking out the demo.

valk.jpg

Octopus Melody on
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, there's a rareish russian game called E5.
    The combat mechanic is the best, a good mixture of realtime and time based combat (IE every action takes a set amount of seconds, when you press unpause your guy does whatever you told him while the enemies do whatever they do.)

Burning Organ on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »

I was working on a military ASL-like version of one about two years ago, but my attempts to scale it up too much eroded the plan. Now I basically just want to make ASL in a browser.

Oh how I tried to get into ASL... shit is cryptic and confusing to a newcomer though. A browser version would be tits.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
    edited October 2008

Oh how I tried to get into ASL... shit is cryptic and confusing to a newcomer though. A browser version would be tits.

My dad used to play it when I was younger so he'd always just tell me what the rules meant and I never had to learn them.

Since I bought it for myself this year, I've been blown away by the complexity.

NotASenator on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

My dad used to play it when I was younger so he'd always just tell me what the rules meant and I never had to learn them.

Since I bought it for myself this year, I've been blown away by the complexity.

ASL is definately complex. Its not so much the ruleset that throws me off its the weird fucking heirarchy(sp?) of different sets you have to buy to get different map boards and you need set A to play Set C and Set B needs set F... you get it. Thats why a browser version would be great.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
    edited October 2008
    That always seemed like an attempt to just sell more boxes.

Obviously, unless I got Curt Schilling's permission, I couldn't do a direct port, I don't think.

I should email them about it. There's some java version or something called VASL, which is just an interface for playing online, but doesn't incorporate the rules. It's just basically an internet gameboard for you to play on. That requires you to still own the game and keeps MMP happy.

NotASenator on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jigrah wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    lostwords wrote: »
    Does the HoMM series count? Or disciples? because oh my god, i love those games

Oh my god I love Heroes of Might and Magic so fucking much

So much

The disciples game I played was good too I think

I got HOMM V off of steam, and man it was disappointing. Setting up a four player map with bots and it's taken 3 minutes from one turn to another.

Well

By Heroes of Might and Magic series

I meant Heroes of Might and Magic III, with expansions

Straightzi on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I still think the first Age of Wonders game was the pinnacle of the whole turn based "magic hero with a retinue of fantasy staples" subgenre.

I mean, customizable, characters that actually took part in the fighting, exploring dungeons for loot and seiging castles with wall-climbing assassins, jihad goblins and dire penguins.

The second one was okay, but they took away too many of the features I liked. Not to mention pretty much limiting your character to various flavors of "wizard".

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I enjoyed the heck out of Age of Wonders, but HoMM 3 is the best damned fantasy strategy game ever.

However, JA2 might just be the best damned game ever. The amount of fools that Shadow knifed in the back...Oh man.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I enjoyed the heck out of Age of Wonders, but HoMM 3 is the best damned fantasy strategy game ever.

Master of Magic would like a word with you

Khavall on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, there's a rareish russian game called E5.
    The combat mechanic is the best, a good mixture of realtime and time based combat (IE every action takes a set amount of seconds, when you press unpause your guy does whatever you told him while the enemies do whatever they do.)

Oh yeah, that's a good one. The translation is horrific, though.

THankfully, the new game, 7.62mm, is supposed to be a little better translated and a lot clearer on what to do.

Moriveth on
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If HoMM counts, can we include Disciples (esp. Disciples II) as well? Granted, it's not exactly tactical, but seriously, I have been playing Disciples II a lot.

(edit: Oh haha someone already mentioned Disciples my speed reading skill suck)

Wallhitter on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    FFT was cool because one of the character ended up killing a quarter of the cast himself, and he wasn't even the main villain!

Meissnerd on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

Master of Magic would like a word with you

Mehhhhh

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    arse i've been playing disgea on ds too

but like

still doing the tutorials

damn there is so much

Faricazy on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »

but like

damn there is so much

Yeah there seriously is

and I hope there isn't any more voice acting, the shit in the beginning was atrocious

Moriveth on
    edited October 2008
    why did i say arse

my mind is going

anyway really? i was thinking the VAing could have been a lot worse. you know Houk is part of the localization team, yeah?

Faricazy on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »

but like

damn there is so much
    yeah my only problem/fear with this game is that so far I don't think I'm going to be able to comprehend all the stuff in it.

Sars_Boy on
    edited October 2008
    oh really? Rad.

It wasn't really bad so far as the actual voices went... Just, overacted, I guess? But I suppose that's part of the charm.

Moriveth on
    edited October 2008
    i made a nurse named SEXYSTOCKINGS

i really shouldn't be allowed to name things in games

my pokemon were all named after communists

Faricazy on
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    If anyone here has a PS3, lives in the UK or you can just make a new account and say you're from the UK, there's a demo up of a new game in this genre called Valkyria Chronicles. It'll probably come to the US PS3 network soon. I played a bit of it and it seems groovy. It has a neat sketchy art style. Definitely worth checking out the demo.

valk.jpg

damn that's a sweet screenshot!

i like advance wars, but other than that i haven't played any games like this.

i really suck at advance wars, so, i kind of prefer the non-turn based rts games like world in conflict and starcraft. although world in conflict is way more arcadey than any other rts games i can think of.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
    edited October 2008
    oh yeah days of ruin is fucking rad

Faricazy on
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    i haven't tried it yet, is it very different?

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The mood is a lot different, what with the whole post-apocalyptic setting, but the gameplay is as solid as ever.

I love Fire Emblem games. I played the one on the Gamecube like 5 times.

Clint Eastwood on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fire Emblem reminds me of a real good, obscure one.

lg1.jpg

Warsong, aka Langrisser. There's only eight main characters at a time, but each one commands eight individual units, so you can literally be controlling 72 people at once.

Only the first one got a US release, but there's like five other ones for everything from the Saturn to the PS to the Dreamcast that never came out here.

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/langrisser/langrisser.htm

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I need to persuade a friend to do a hotseat game of DII with me.

Wallhitter on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    FFT for PSP is awesome.

Defender on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    so how 'bout them galactic civilizations, huh guys

how 'bout them civilizations

in the galaxy

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited October 2008
    And does Dawn of War count? Because the Sisters' Living Saint is the wrath of god(or the Imperium equivalent) given corporeal form.

The multi is also fun, but that unit is pretty much a guaranteed tide-turner.

Unless they're using Necrons, because screw the Necrons(and their teleporting bases).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wouldn't be surprised if this made the rounds here in SE++ at some point but Battle for Wesnoth is good times. It's a free fantasy turn based hex strategy game. Units get exp and promote and carry over from fight to fight like Fire Emblem but you can build units like in Advanced Wars. I think it has online play too.

Inquisitor on
    edited October 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    And does Dawn of War count? Because the Sisters' Living Saint is the wrath of god(or the Imperium equivalent) given corporeal form.

The multi is also fun, but that unit is pretty much a guaranteed tide-turner.

Unless they're using Necrons, because screw the Necrons(and their teleporting bases).

No, technically Dawn of War does not count, because they are mostly talking about turn-based combat games, and DoW is a RTS.

However, I went ahead and listed a bunch of semi-turn-based games, so who cares what counts?

NotASenator on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wouldn't really count DoW

It's too wide a scope I'd say to be considered part of this genre

Straightzi on
    edited October 2008
    Come to think of it, I guess Dragon Force is an RTS... in a very vague sense.

All the armies move on the map in real-time, and the battles take place that way also.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited October 2008
    While I don't think it's required

A defining feature of the RTS genre, at least for me

Is that your units are created through buildings

Which is why I'd disqualify DoW

And why I might disqualify HoMM

Straightzi on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    BATTLE FOR WESNOTH

That is all.

EDIT: Actually, no. I hate when the fucking Orc Assassin poisons your leader.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png