As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's in a name? Your name, baby names, terrible names, awesome ones

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If your last name is Smith, name your kid Loki Lie Smith.

Also Wonder Hippie holy shit that right there is a name. That's what annoys me about my name, it's all Anglo crashing into Polack. I kinda wish I was like my great uncle Mutz. Mutz is a good stocky name.

Also, anyone else have odd naming coincidences in their families? All but one of my male uncles on my fathers side are named "Ed". So is my dad's dad. There's my dad, Ed, my uncle Ed, and my uncle Steven, who changed his name to Ed. I think my grandpa's brother is named Ed too. Only he's Edmund instead of Edward. My uncle Bob feels left out.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Last name is not Smith. It's Ulrich, another uncommon name. More common than Taven, though.

I like my name, actually. I've grown attached to it.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh hey, also: My roommate's last name is Smyth.

Pronounced "Smith".

Way to fuck that up, roommate.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Last name is not Smith. It's Ulrich, another uncommon name. More common than Taven, though.

I will forever associate you with the downfall of Napster now.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »

I will forever associate you with the downfall of Napster now.
    Lars is not related to me, I think.

If he is, next family reunion I will punch him in the face for you.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My birth name is Joseph but I have been going by Joe for the last 8 years or so. Only the 3 or 4 people I still keep up with from elementary school call me Joseph, so I get confused when someone says my full name. My parental units had it easy with my naming because my dad's grandpa was named Joseph and my mom's dad's name was Joe.

According to the Wedding Vendors website, Joseph was the 11th most popular name in 1982. Despite its popularity, I have met less than 5 people in my life who share my name.

I managed to avoid the family tradition on my dad's side of being The One in my generation that is named Robert. My cousin dutifully carries that burden.

My wife and I have talked about baby names, just to see what will potentially be on the table when we get to that point. My only real suggestion is naming a daughter Mikaela (or Makayla).

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    People should use stuffy rich-sounding names more often:

Peabody, Wescott, Maximillion, Wordsworth, Prescott, Bartholomew...

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think naming people so-and-so the nth is weird. My dad's a III. There was apparently some significant amount of family tension when I came along and was not named IV.

There was a guy who was a couple years above me in high school who was a IV. His younger brother was V.

That said, W_H has a spectacular name, and should definitely share the wealth if the opportunity presents.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't like it when parents are too lazy to change names when the baby is born

Girls named "Michael" irk me

Medopine on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm seriously considering changing my name, both first and last (and middle I suppose). Last name I have no idea, but first name I've been kicking about numerous ideas, from the plain "Andrea" to the classic "Daliah" to the esoteric and nerdy "Shauni." Middle name is totally gonna be Ayla, for purely nerdy reasons. (But I am Jewish so it works.) It's mind-boggling, really. Never thought it would be this emotionally straining and take this long to decide.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    Grim SqueakerGrim Squeaker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My mother has four long names (Madeleine Elisabeth Wilhelmine Johanna), so when she had kids she gave them one short name. All my brothers and sisters have a single name of 4 or 6 letters long.

On the subject of classical names: if you name your girl Pandora, you know that some jokes will be made.

Grim Squeaker on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I knew a guy in college named X Maximillion [last name]. Yes, his first name was X. He has a brother... named Y.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Having a weird name can be really frustrating sometimes, but always in small ways.

People never get my name right over the phone, for one, and more than a few bills through the years have had mispellings in my name. I'm always too lazy to actually correct them. It's just a nuisance, not an actual issue.

It shows up in weird ways people might not necessarily think of -- always having to repeat myself when I meet someone new, always getting asked what it means (when's the last time you asked a John that?), always getting asked if it's short for something (which is weird, but understandable, but again, who's the last Mike you asked if his name was short for anything?).

The other night I was just going for a walk near my house, and some cop rolled up on me to give me the perp check or whatever, asking me a bunch of questions. When he asked me my name, he lit up like he'd caught me in a lie and maybe he'd get to use his nightstick yet, "T?", eyes all excited and posture shooting up. I said really rudely and really quickly, "No, it's Tieg with a 'g' at the end. T-I-E-G. I know, it's unusual." He asked my last name, too, to see if I was so quick on that lie. I'm sure he didn't understand what I said then, either, but I was quick and confident enough that he just rolled off and left me alone after that. Shit like that gets old.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh and the girlfriend's parents who mispell your name on the Christmas card even after you've been dating her daughter for like three years. It seems inconsequential, but I mean considering how central a part of your identity a name is, you can't help but feel a little insulted.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh and the girlfriend's parents who mispell your name on the Christmas card even after you've been dating her daughter for like three years. It seems inconsequential, but I mean considering how central a part of your identity a name is, you can't help but feel a little insulted.
    Man, my grandma used to put Tavin on all my christmas cards and shit. I know how you feel, man.

Shit sucks.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

I spelled a guy's name wrong the other day when I sent him an email about a job

This was because his name was listed incorrectly on the job posting site.

I emailed him again immediately after I figured it out to apologize, cause getting your name spelled wrong is hella annoying

Medopine on
  • Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    To the guy who had a French friend named Jaie : in French, "jaie" is a very strong black. But it is an unusual name...

I'm in Québec, and my name is Samuel Tremblay. Samuel is on the top 5 male names list in Québec for longer than I can remember and 1% of Quebecois are Tremblays. I probably have on of the most common name ever !

For my kids : I always liked Raphael, or Raphaelle if it's a girl

McKid on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There's kind of a naming convention in my family, every first born son is given the same middle name. I feel rather obligated.

My grandfather's name was Julian. I've always liked it. His nickname/cattle brand was Lazy J (The brand was a J rotated 90 degrees clockwise). How awesome is that nickname? Awesome.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is McKinley. It is not a very common name! I introduced myself to an older black lady and she promptly told me that it was a black name.

I did not know if I was supposed to apologize or what?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    McKid wrote: »
    I'm in Québec, and my name is Samuel Tremblay. Samuel is on the top 5 male names list in Québec for longer than I can remember and 1% of Quebecois are Tremblays. I probably have on of the most common name ever !
    I'd say! Isn't Tremblay actually the most common surname in Quebec? On top of that, the same first name as Champlain.

Speaking of historical figures, there's a Greek guy in my small business clinic and his name is Odysseas. That's pretty cool.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    McKid wrote: »
    To the guy who had a French friend named Jaie : in French, "jaie" is a very strong black. But it is an unusual name...

For my kids : I always liked Raphael, or Raphaelle if it's a girl

Well I am cool but rude... I'll have to add it to my list.

Also, why do people insist on "having trouble" with names like "Hiro" and "Rajiv" ? They're phonetic! I think most of them do it on purpose to either be racist jerks or to get a rise out of people like me...

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd say! Isn't Tremblay actually the most common surname in Quebec? On top of that, the same first name as Champlain.

Yep, it is, and by a good margin (That's what Wikipédia says)

And in regard to Champlain : I live in the city he founded, aweseome 8-)

McKid on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I like the name Lucia for a girl, but I doubt a significant other would let me get away with it.

We both have the same battle ahead of us.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm David. My dad is David, but used to go by his middle name, Ewen. My grandad was David.

My mum is Susan, to continue the Dave-Sue theme. They're divorced now, but still.

I like my name. I'll also settle for Dave, which I don't mind too much. Davy or Davie I cannot stand, because through primary school it was what the mean kids called me.

For a son I think I'd continue the David thing, even just as a middle name. I always really liked the name Adrian as well. For a girl, maybe something like Nina.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Simon Moon wrote: »
    I think naming people so-and-so the nth is weird. My dad's a III. There was apparently some significant amount of family tension when I came along and was not named IV.

There was a guy who was a couple years above me in high school who was a IV. His younger brother was V.

That said, W_H has a spectacular name, and should definitely share the wealth if the opportunity presents.

That's fucking retarded, because the younger brother would still technically be 4th in the line, he'd just be IV'.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jurg wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I like the name Lucia for a girl, but I doubt a significant other would let me get away with it.

We both have the same battle ahead of us.

My wife's allowing Locke Alexander for a boy.

In exchange, we get Ambrosia for a girl. D: At least I can call her "Amber."

Edit: Hrm.. maybe be a bit more clear on my choice. I picked Locke somewhat after John Locke. My wife thinks I picked it from FF6. :|

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    On the topic of horrible names:

(I posted this in the failures of humanity thread a while back I think) When working at Wal-Mart I would often hear parents calling for their children. On this one particular occasion I happened to hear the one parent call her child by her name 'Euthanasia (pretty sure thats not how the mother spelled it)' I was so stunned I asked the mother if that was her real name. With a puzzled look she said "Yea, why?" I had no response...

I worked with this person who said she had a friend whose name is pronounced Shatheed. Well S's parents not knowing the best of English put the following spelling on his birth certificate:
    'Shithead'

I can't imagine how much this kid was taunted; probably as much as a person with the last name 'Weiner'.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I should change my name to Edgar Inigo Pi. Then I could sign my name EI Pi.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Nah, it should be Pi Inigo Edgar, so when it's written on official documents and registers it comes out as Edgar, PI.

...unless that was already the joke.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My last name was formerly "Suttonisky", but my great-grandfather changed it when he came to America so he'd do better in business and not be harassed for being Jewish.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have a pretty common name... Kenneth. Although I was supposed to be named Joshua, which I think is a much better name... my nephew lucked out and got that one. My other nephew is named Caleb, which I quite like and give kudos to my sister for picking it out.

Coolest names I've seen... Lazarus, though the guy who had it was in no way cool. Also, Konstantine, who was some random German guy I traveled with in Cambodia.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

Nah, it should be Pi Inigo Edgar, so when it's written on official documents and registers it comes out as Edgar, PI.

There's a famous identity in mathematics: e^i*pi=-1. That was the joke.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I concur.

And don't forget the female equivalents:

Miffy, Buffy,..uh...Biffy?

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    My name is McKinley. It is not a very common name! I introduced myself to an older black lady and she promptly told me that it was a black name.

I did not know if I was supposed to apologize or what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_McKinley

I don't believe the 25th President of the United States was black ;) .

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have about 30 female students. Somehow 3 of them are named Victoria. The odds against that are...well, I would assume very small.

My wife and I have pretty much decided that we'll name our kid either Liam or Emily, depending on gender.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

There's a famous identity in mathematics: e^i*pi=-1. That was the joke.

Man, I'm a biologist, I don't know these things.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I used to teach a Japanese 5-year-old girl called Yuu.

I'm pretty sure the only thing she liked about studying English was going "I'm You!" and giggling for a while.

Anyway, I'm gonna have a baby soon, which will have a Japanese surname and a western first name (though one which has to work in katakana). I really don't like how every Japanese/English baby is called Naomi or Hannah or George because the names exist in both languages. It's so dull.

If it's a boy, probably Sam. Named after LOTR Sam. People make a funny face when I tell them that, which is fun. Also with his surname, kinda feels like Sam Spade. I can imagine him going 'Sam ----, PI'

And that is a good thing.

If it's a girl, not sure.

I've tried old Irish and English names, but none of the ones I like work in katakana.

I've been thinking about goddess names (Artemis, Athena), but the same problem.

Recently I've been leaning towards hippyish names.

Do I have the nerve to name our kid Rainbow? Or Rain?

Bear in mind the kid will be growing up in Japan, where people won't know hippies do that. It'll just be a name.

I'm more scared of what the English speakers in my life will say if I call my daughter Snow or something.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Forgot to mention, my first name is Brian. I spent my entire elementary school career being called Brain and Brian the brain. I hated it even if it wasn't bad. Even my friends' parents called me that (except for one, who after calling me it once had the good sense to ask if I liked being called that).

My brother's name is Brent, which seems pretty rare, but I don't know if it is. I only knew one other one in school and the only other one I can think of is Brent Spiner, Data on Star Trek. FYI, don't name siblings with similar names unless you like having everyone confuse their names. Also, according to the dictionary, Brent is the smallest species of wild geese. It was hilarious to tell my brother that when I was 8.

Invisible on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jordan is the worst name for a guy.

Growing up in elementary school with six other Jordan's in your grade, all of them being girls, was not fun to say the least.

It especially sucks that my parents were going to call me Seth, which is a badass name. They decided against it at the last minute because it clashes with my last name.

Godfather on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm Kristopher.

I had to deal with beauty pageant invites growing up, but I've gotten attached to my name.

Shamus on