As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's in a name? Your name, baby names, terrible names, awesome ones

• Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Not my name, but this thread reminded me of
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmQRmHgExV0

I actually have known an inordinate number of Daves in my time.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Derrick wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    My name is McKinley. It is not a very common name! I introduced myself to an older black lady and she promptly told me that it was a black name.

I did not know if I was supposed to apologize or what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_McKinley

I don't believe the 25th President of the United States was black ;) .

That is another thing. I will say "hi I'm McKinley" and people look at me funny and ask "uh, but what's your first name?" as if I go around introducing myself by my last name like some kind of weirdo or maybe japanese person.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Derrick wrote: »
    My name is McKinley. It is not a very common name! I introduced myself to an older black lady and she promptly told me that it was a black name.

I did not know if I was supposed to apologize or what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_McKinley

I don't believe the 25th President of the United States was black ;) .

That is another thing. I will say "hi I'm McKinley" and people look at me funny and ask "uh, but what's your first name?" as if I go around introducing myself by my last name like some kind of weirdo or maybe japanese person.

Oh. Oh. Your First name is McKinley. Yeah that's fucked up bro. Sorry.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gooey wrote: »
    There's kind of a naming convention in my family, every first born son is given the same middle name. I feel rather obligated.

Hey, I have this too. My middle name is boring and traditional, but my brother's middle name is Eagle, which I think is acceptably rocking.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My daughter is Katheryn Elizabeth, and I like it.

My name I also like, Diane, but very prone to misspelling. I did take my Husbands last name when we got married last year cause I was sick of people thinking that my maiden name was my first name. It was Stacey by the way.

My husband had no opinion on child names when we had Katheryn so I got what I wanted. I have put my foot down on any more Tom sheldons (Fourtunaley Tom was missed in my husbands generation) and we have agreed that if we ever have a son he will be James Alexander wich is the middle names from my brother and my husbands brother. If I ever have another girl she will be something Elaine for my mother.

I like using names that are special to our families. My daughter is named after my Grandmother but with a different spelling.

Hah you want strange names my grandmother (the one who provided my daughters name) was called Bargetta as a child. Hated it cause she was always shortened to Barge. When she got into Highschool she got ahold of her birth certificate and found out her middle name was actually Bridget. She says she was very happy to be a Bridge and not a Barge. She has never gone by her first name.

One thing my grandmother did that I quite agree with is she called her children what they were going to call them. hence my Fathers name is Larry, not Lawrence, cause they were going to call him Larry. I will let Katheryn choose what she wants to shorten her name to if she does. except in our family then she is Kafryn cause thats how she first started saying her name so we (her parents) do it as a pet name. Much better than the Muff (short for muffin) I got stuck with. (Argh 29 years old and they still call me that!)

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My last name is Sessions, which is strangely hard to pronounce for people. But there's a senator from my state with the same last name, and since it's a relatively uncommon name everyone would ask me if we're related. Which we are---in like a 10th cousin five times removed kind of way.

Also, I knew a guy in college named whose last name was Siemen. Which was funny in and of itself. But his middle name was Gibbs.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Simon Moon wrote: »
    I have a distant-ish cousin who was very nearly named Glacier National.

(The last name is Parks.)

I also met a guy named Chance Rainwater.

Perchance does this cousin live near the Revelstoke/Golden Area? I used to go to the Glacier National Park all the time!

I knew a girl in School wose name Was Amber Green, she never admited to her middle name.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sheep wrote: »
    My first and middle names are my grandfathers' first names: Guy Robert. I disliked my first name as a kid ("hurrr, if you change one letter in your name it's 'gay'"), but now I like it. It's easy for people to remember at parties and while drinking and such. It's not really common, so that helps too.

I'm told by my fiancee that our first boy will be named Alastair.
    I pray that god will not curse me with a daughter. I don't want to have to kill young men wearing leather jackets and riding those motorbikes attempting to take my little girl out. :|

I'M NOT YOUR FRIEND GUY!
    I get a lot of that too. For the longest time as a kid I didn't realize that a lot of people use "guy" in place of "man/dude/friend/etc" like "hey, man, how's it going". I always got freaked out when someone would be like "Hi Guy" or "Hows it going guy". I thought people stalked me, or I had a problem where I met people but couldn't even recall them in the slightest later on.

See now if you had been in an area that had alot of francophone or pretty much any where in Canada your name would be assumed to be pronounced Gi.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    dannyk8dannyk8 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've always liked the name Alastair. If I ever have a son, I'll probably try and name him that.

dannyk8 on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I love my middle name, "Savage". It's better than danger.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I used to teach a Japanese 5-year-old girl called Yuu.

I'm pretty sure the only thing she liked about studying English was going "I'm You!" and giggling for a while.

Anyway, I'm gonna have a baby soon, which will have a Japanese surname and a western first name (though one which has to work in katakana). I really don't like how every Japanese/English baby is called Naomi or Hannah or George because the names exist in both languages. It's so dull.

If it's a boy, probably Sam. Named after LOTR Sam. People make a funny face when I tell them that, which is fun. Also with his surname, kinda feels like Sam Spade. I can imagine him going 'Sam ----, PI'

And that is a good thing.

If it's a girl, not sure.

I've tried old Irish and English names, but none of the ones I like work in katakana.

I've been thinking about goddess names (Artemis, Athena), but the same problem.

Recently I've been leaning towards hippyish names.

Do I have the nerve to name our kid Rainbow? Or Rain?

Bear in mind the kid will be growing up in Japan, where people won't know hippies do that. It'll just be a name.

I'm more scared of what the English speakers in my life will say if I call my daughter Snow or something.

If you're willing to put up with people mistaking it for Noah, Noa was the most popular name in Israel in 2005. Shira bears a fair resemblance to Shiro, and I'm pretty sure Adi, Sarah, Leah, and Ruth would make a fair transition.
    I remember reading that Kenyan names and Japanese names often sound alike or the same (take, for example, Obama),so names that make sense in Kenya would probably make sense in Japan. Some western (or western sounding) names that I've found for Kenyan women are Suzanna, Cecilia, Nikki, Jemima (okay, I just consider it western because it's a brand name), Conjestina, and Grace.

My name, Scott, is based upon two factors: It's monosyllabic and bears a slight resemblance to Seymour. The latter is because it's traditional to name a child after a late relative and my grandfather had died not long before, and the former because my last name has three syllables and my mom thought that four was quite enough. This also explains why my brother's first name is simply Ben.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    No matter what, though, my first kid is getting the middle name "Bloodaxe"

I got stuck with Forrest. They will get something kickass.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I knew a girl in high school named Love Hope.

Not to mention all the fucking teen moms in my school who listened to crappy music and suddenly wanted to name their daughter Aaliyah.

*Puts head in hand and sighs*

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh yeah, my middle name is simply my mom's last name.

Also, on the Japanese name thing, why is Simone a guy's name in Gurren Lagann, and would it's use mean it translated into kanji? Of course, GL would probably ruin it for any girl with that name in Japan.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I knew a Dash Bumgardner once. Everytime I heard his name I imagined his snooty British accent answering the phone, "Bumgardner residence, Dash speaking."

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name happens to coincide with a meatpacking company that's based in Chicago. So suck on that, Abe Froeman, I am the Sausage King of Chicago. Plus I apparently make a tasty braunschweiger.

As for kids, I very much want to name my daughter Julia. No idea for a boy, though. So hopefully my future wife has a boy's name in mind but nothing for a girl.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I knew a girl in high school named Love Hope.

Not to mention all the fucking teen moms in my school who listened to crappy music and suddenly wanted to name their daughter Aaliyah.

*Puts head in hand and sighs*

This puts the phrase "would you like to go on aliyah" in a whole new light.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't like my name. It sounds like a rejected Picasso painting and further pushes the notion that I am middle-eastern when I'm not.

I just have people call me Mitzi. Short and sweet and shared by the likes of Mitzi McNinja and Mitzi May.

Favorite names for boys are Nico and Leonardo.. As far as girl names go I am attached to Carlina, Luciana, Penelope and Felicia. I also like Lolita but you cant name people that anymore, can you?

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Heh, I just remembered this guy in high school. His middle name was Mjolnir.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Heh, I just remembered this guy in high school. His middle name was Mjolnir.
    Isn't that some sort of Greek Warrior?

EDIT: The Hammer of Thor? Fucking kick ass.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I rather like Callista for a girl, or if you want to get a bit fruitier, Calliope.

Either way she'd just be Callie or Cal, though Cal is a bit boyish. It's probably a name I'd get away with, though.

I ain't given this too much thought though no sir.

My name is Jordan, by the way. You can get away with calling me "Jord" if we're close but probably not "Jords" and never ever "Jordie".

W2 on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Does anyone else think it's invariably cool to have a suffix that is a number, like "the third" or something like that? Junior is lame, but so and so the second is royal sounding. I know a guy who is Harry George IV, which is awesomely awesome.

In the spirit of this, I want to give my son my fathers first name. That way he can be David II. Also, I have hereditary middle name that has gone through two previous generations in the first male child. My son will carry the middle name Ray like a weight around his neck, and he will hate it too.

Girls names...I have a few ideas, but nothing that I'm particularly married to.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    W2 wrote: »
    I rather like Callista for a girl, or if you want to get a bit fruitier, Calliope.

Either way she'd just be Callie or Cal, though Cal is a bit boyish. It's probably a name I'd get away with, though.

I ain't given this too much thought though no sir.

My name is Jordan, by the way. You can get away with calling me "Jord" if we're close but probably not "Jords" and never ever "Jordie".

I am also a Jordan. I have a good friend who is a Jordan as well. We have created an entire mythology surrounding the name. The "Trials of Jordan" that allow a child to carry this most holy of names.

I have not had anyone try to give me a nickname yet with it. Can someone get away with those, or do you prefer them?

LoserForHireX on
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I occasionally get other nicknames, Jordito, etc.

I don't know, I like my name as it is. People seem to have an issue with the spelling of it, though, I often get written down as "Jordon" which is patently incorrect.

My own godmother of 21 years still addresses all her letters to Jordon [lastname] and I haven't got the heart to correct her.

W2 on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name's Tyler.

Pretty cool I guess. I like that it's pretty rare. The only other Tyler I have ever known is an African American who was referred to as "black Tyler".

I still have to put up with bullshit like people calling me Taylor. French people do this a lot.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is John. party time.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I don't know, I like my name as it is. People seem to have an issue with the spelling of it, though, I often get written down as "Jordon" which is patently incorrect.

My own godmother of 21 years still addresses all her letters to Jordon [lastname] and I haven't got the heart to correct her.

I swear I've had every vowel in the english language instead of the proper "a" in my name. I may very well be willing to attest that someone once tried to spell it with a "y."

LoserForHireX on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I swear I've had every vowel in the english language instead of the proper "a" in my name. I may very well be willing to attest that someone once tried to spell it with a "y."

That would make it a girl's name! D:

W2 on
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is Rowan which is probably the best name in this thread, even though I haven't read the thread.

My name is pretty much the only aspect of myself that I am completely, unabashedly proud of. Just like, fuck yeah.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My last name is Sessions, which is strangely hard to pronounce for people. But there's a senator from my state with the same last name, and since it's a relatively uncommon name everyone would ask me if we're related. Which we are---in like a 10th cousin five times removed kind of way.

Also, I knew a guy in college named whose last name was Siemen. Which was funny in and of itself. But his middle name was Gibbs.

That's hilarious. That's also the very reason my first name was not Seth, because my last name was Sessions.

Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Also the name Jordan is a boring name because of how it's defined. While everyone else's name actually means something ("Leo" for example means fierce, loyal, etc.) all "Jordan" manages to pull up in that damn name book is "of or pertaining to the Jordan river."

Booooo get off the stage

I only rip on this because my name is Jordan, just in case I didn't make it clear.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Godfather wrote: »

That's hilarious. That's also the very reason my first name was not Seth, because my last name was Sessions.

Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

If you ever recorded an album you could just call it Sessions.

W2 on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It doesn't help that my middle name is Jams

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    It doesn't help that my middle name is Jams

No way.

W2 on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is Jason. I've always hated it.

My son is named Lucius, Luc for short. Totally my wife's idea, and it took me a long time to be sure she didn't name my firstborn after Lucius Malfoy.

If we have another son we're going to name him Marcus.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My girlfriends family went the right way with names in my opinion. My lady is named Clementine (Clem) Amelia (her middle name, not some still her first name) (last name Removed) with her twin called Maximillion (Max). They have 2 younger sisters, Ambrosine (Rosie) and Henrietta (Henri/y).

Next to them, i feel common as mud.

I shit you not, while working i heard this name. "Tyranny!!, get over here!! Tyranny, I won't tell you another time!!" attached to adorable little girl with blonde curls. Admittedly, its probably spelt differently but come on.

Names I have seen recently and thought were cool.

Freya. That there is a rad name for a girl.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Jordan is a name to be held with pride. Unlike other names, it must be earned, and not merely granted.

Upon birth, those who are to become Jordans enter the trials. They must demonstrate excellence in not only physical contests, such as swimming or single combat against a bear, but also in other areas such as taste. Those who are not worthy are either stripped of the name and live in same for the rest of their lives (if they know), or are cast honorably into the pit of dead babies, 300 style.

LoserForHireX on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just rememered there was a boy in the neighborhood whose name was Enis. Tough shit, little buddy.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My parents fought over my name. My mom wanted to name me Ann, but my dad had a psycho ex-girlfriend by that name, so they compromised and named me Andrea. (My mom calls me Ann or Annie all the time anyway, though.) I like it, but people mispronounce it all the time. Plus, the definition is funny: you'll see it defined as "feminine," but it's really just the feminine version of Andrew, meaning masculine (from "andros"), so the definition comes out to "the feminine of masculine." But hey, I like androgyny anyway.

My middle name, Ragan, is my grandmother's maiden name, but damn do I hate correcting the spelling. "No, not like the president" is a constant refrain any time I have to give my full name.

My mom's family had a really badass naming tradition, though: her grandfather was named Wulf, so her whole side of the family had wolf-themed names. Her Hebrew name (although she doesn't go by it) means "wolf cub," which is so cool. She didn't name us anything so awesome, sadly.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is Nolan Paul.

Yes, my first name is Nolan. That would make my last name Paul.

Fucked if I could count the number of times that's been switched up. Amazingly, it's most often by teachers reading my name from the attendance list (which is always LAST, FIRST but they seem to forget that for my name) or by people who don't realise that my last name is my email address but I include a signature with my full name in every email.

I'm not actually bothered by it, but that is a rather silly idea; do not give your children a first name that is also a last name, especially if their last name will be a name that could be either a first or last name itself.

My middle name isn't any help either... I'm not sure what my parents were thinking.

As for children myself? I like Lincoln for a boy (shamelessly stolen from someone else on PA here--Linc(Link) for short, although I like the full name itself on its own merit) and lots of names for girls. I like Elysia (Elly for short, if needed), sort of like Alicia, but more like the Elysian fields... except I recently learned that I am not pronouncing the fields correctly, so the name doesn't work much. I would pronounce the name El-ii-see-ah

LaOs on
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh, and for kids:

Girls:
    Lydia
    Julia
    Aerin
    Charlotte
    Aravis, although it'd be irritating to explain.
    Adeline
    Lia
    Viola
    Tess
    Sophia
    Elanor (yes, nerdy)
    Lyra
    Hazel (yes, from Watership Down)

For boys:
    Louis, pronounced Lew-is, not Loo-ee (my grandfather's name)
    Charles (family name for boyfriend, although Charlie is cute)
    Milo
    Alexander (family name for me)
    Ichabod, although that might be mean.
    Meriadoc, ditto
    Oliver
    Simon

I'm hoping for girls: less pressure to choose a family name!
    (Also, I'd love to use "Ael," but it's probably too weird. Bonus points if you guess where I got it! No googling.)

Trowizilla on