As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tactical Combat games: Turn-Based awesome.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm pretty sure Ivalice is a world that they actually made multiple games in: FFT, FF12, FFTA, FFTA2.

I'm sure there's more too.

THere is a disturbing lack of Jagged Alliance talk in this thread.

Moriveth on
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I tried to play JA2 some time ago but I just couldn't get back into it again.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh yeah well I can't get back into you again

Moriveth on
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    You never finish anyway!

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah they had a whole series of games set in Ivalice. It's a special case.

It'll kill me if we never see anything to link things up though.

Meissnerd on
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have it on my computer with some kind of weapons mod.
    Hundreds of different weapons, even the contender is there.
    Unfortunaly I'm not on my computer right now.

Burning Organ on
    edited October 2008
    hey dukes, here's the JA2 demo

Moriveth on
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    why aren't fallout 1 and 2 considered tactical dealies

they've even got hexes! that's super tactical!

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, but in tactical combat games you're typically controlling a squad of dudes, not just one.

Moriveth on
    edited October 2008
    ah! true!

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    boy bemis you sure look stupid now!!!

Meissnerd on
    edited October 2008
    d-dagnabbit

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So does Hearts of Iron 2 count here? Because Hearts of Iron 2 is an awesome awesome game.

marcopolo-1.jpg

Basically I am just looking for a place where I can talk about Hearts of Iron 2 in peace okay.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Those games are intimidating as fuck

Moriveth on
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Those games are intimidating as fuck

I thought so too at first. But one night I remembered to bring the manual with me in a particularly long trip to the toilet. I came out of that bathroom a changed man: 1 pound lighter, and ready to take over South East Asia. Seriously, the manual is really helpful, and is written in a very easy to understand way.

There was one awkward moment for me though. My friend went over one time and caught me playing the game. Asked me what I was doing. "Oh nothing, playing as Japan and invading the Phili--."

It felt weird, for some reason.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hearts of Iron is a fantastic game.

NotASenator on
  • SygnonSygnon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man I fucking love JA2. Is it still boned on steam? I tried to play it about a year ago and it was too buggy to tolerate.

Sygnon on
    b0b11710e1ddcbfc1958f52a53cb7566.png
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    HoI2 looks pretty good

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PotU wrote: »
    I thought the FF games were more or less completely different worlds, only sharing stuff like the same creatures and spells or something.

It was that way up until FF9, which used the same world as FF1, although there was a gigantic difference in terms of when the games took place. Like, enough that the landmass didn't look the same.

However, they have since done some amount of reuse of worlds.

Defender on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Defender wrote: »
    PotU wrote: »
    I thought the FF games were more or less completely different worlds, only sharing stuff like the same creatures and spells or something.

It was that way up until FF9, which used the same world as FF1, although there was a gigantic difference in terms of when the games took place. Like, enough that the landmass didn't look the same.

However, they have since done some amount of reuse of worlds.
    Plus sometime recently they discovered it would cost them less to re-use charecter models and such so now they are doing it much more often.

So now about 20 different versions of FF13 are coming out. :|

Bedlam on
    edited October 2008
    Sygnon wrote: »
    Man I fucking love JA2. Is it still boned on steam? I tried to play it about a year ago and it was too buggy to tolerate.

I dunno, I think they've fixed it but I'm unsure.

Moriveth on
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i went as andy from advanced wars for halloween once it was pretty awesome

plus i play way too much disgaea

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i went as andy from advanced wars for halloween once it was pretty awesome

plus i play way too much disgaea

Man there is no such thing as too much Disgaea! There's always room for improvement!

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I love Hearts of Iron! The third one is in development now using the same engine they used for EUIII.

Also, once you get it, shit, you will not stop playing Hearts of Iron. Ever.

Ol' Sparky on
  • Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Right now I'm playing as the United States. It's easy considering I have about 150 IC more than even the Soviet Union right now.

However, I will note that it is a pretty buggy game and the AI is very mediocre - once you get past the learning curve and get a few games under your belt it becomes almost too easy. Naval and air warfare are nowhere near as well done as land warfare either.

Still though, it has a great mod community - at least a dozen mods that fully reshape the tech tree, combat, and the AI. And Paradox actually listens, to some extent, to the players.

Ol' Sparky on
  • EnergenoEnergeno Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I love these types of games. I mainly wanted to pop in and mention what essentially created this genre: Laser Squad. Hero quest and the warhammer 40k game with the same engine were pretty neat back in the day too.

Energeno on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My brother played some game called Victoria for a long time

It looked like the most complicated game ever made, it's interface was just like that Hearts of Iron shit

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah, but in tactical combat games you're typically controlling a squad of dudes, not just one.

Hey, Mori...does Myth count?

It's real time but I'd definitely consider it tactical rather than an RTS.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
    edited October 2008
    I dunno, I only played the Myth demo once yeaaaaaars back

but I guess it counts

I don't mean the games in the OP to be some sort of gold standard to hold other games to

Moriveth on
    edited October 2008
    Myth was such a fantastic game

It boggled my mind back in the '90s

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Well then let me inform you about MYTH!

Let me get these notes together.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
    edited October 2008
    It was gory and 3d and incredibly awesome

Oh God I remember explosions going off and scattering zombies and zombie limbs everywhere and it was just so astonishing

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I played the demo for Valkyria Chronicles yesterday it was fuunnnnn

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Myth2pic.jpg

I consider Myth a tactical game because you start the round with a set number of units and you can not create more, though you would sometimes get reinforcements in the single player game.

In multiplayer you purchased your units from a set of allowable units for each map at the beginning of the round.

Terrain, height, line of site, and even rain and water all played a role in combat. Tactical squad management and unit micromanagement were very important.

The game included and even created a number of game modes common to many games seen today, including a soccer like game mode in which you kicked a ball around, territories, and capture the flag.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • JustPlainPavekJustPlainPavek Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I remember Syndicate on my friend's Mac as being pretty awesome back in fifth grade.

Also Myth was pretty awesome, I loved the loper rock-worshipping guys, can't remember their names now.

edit - Wikipedia tells me they were Ghols, and they were awesome.

JustPlainPavek on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've been playing a lot of Disgaea 3 lately.

It's basically the only game you really need.

Shorty on
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Syndicate was awesome.

I miss bullfrog :(

Burning Organ on
    edited October 2008
    Holy goddamn, I have a new fucking appreciation for match point ammo after this sector

Moriveth on
    edited October 2008
    Seriously, all the different ammo types in v1.13 are awesome.

You've got:

FMJ : Standard ammo, really (gray). Okay at penetrating armor and flesh.
    HP: Hollowpoint (blue). Great at penetrating flesh, sucky at going through armor.
    AP: Armor Piercing (red). Great against armor, doesn't do a whole lot of damage against skin.
    GLASER: Some kind of super-hollowpoint (dark green). Amazing against flesh, sucks against anything else. It's actually pretty useless in the late game, unless you like to kill civilians, I guess.
    Tracer: Standard ammo that lights up where you fire (yellow). Useful for revealing enemy positions, especially if you're using burst fire and you know there's fuckloads of dudes around. Really, I prefer break lights and flares for this.
    Match: Extends the reach of bullets (white). Holy shit this stuff is awesome when loaded into a SMG. I had it loaded into my stealth character's H&K (I forget what model, there's at least a couple dozen H&K SMGs with 1.13) and it extended the range a full 9 squares. Basically, I had the reach of a low-level assault rifle with the quick firing and accuracy of a SMG. With a silencer on that I managed to take out an entire sector with a single character.
    AET: Advanced Energy Transfer (purple). I don't know if this ammo type is actually real, but it's basically highly effective against both unarmored and armored enemies. The downside is it degrades your gun pretty fast when used.
    Depleted Uranium: Self-explanatory (light green). Apparently eats away at enemies' armor as well as doing quite a bit of damage. This is supposedly rare, and I've never actually found any in the multiple 1.13 games I've played. I'm beginning to doubt if it even exists.

Also, for shotguns, there's regular slugs, buckshot, and lock-buster ammo, the latter of which is only really useful for blowing open locks.

I'd forgotten how lethal shotguns were at close-range, though. I took the Chitzena SAM site, and once you take any SAM site there's a troop of elites that attack, trying to take it back. Having Malice with a shotgun waiting behind a door, blowing the head off any elite that dared to step inside, was supremely useful.

Seriously, though. A character with stealth + night ops + match ammo + a good, silenced SMG is fucking deadly even by himself.

Man, I love JA2.

Moriveth on
  • NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    fucking LOVE me some strategy games. GOD they are so awesome.

Lords Of The Realm 2:

lordsoftherealmiicoveraaz0.png

The first game in the lords of the realm series wasn't too impressive, but this game was definitely fun to play.

A real basic RTS that has you simply siege castles, and fighting to become king of the land, but with pretty fun gameplay for its time.

Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat

tnwarhammershadowofthehcd6.jpg

When I first played this game, I had NO idea what the hell was going on, so I dropped it and regretted renting it.

Later on, when my love for Warhammer grew, I decided to give this game a second chance. It was at this time when I realized how much dumb I was. The game has you controlling squads of soldiers as you progress on and fight enemy squads (which are usually Skaven), and as you go on you also attain mercenaries and items to help you fight.

I'm pretty sure that the story of the game has you controlling The Dogs Of War faction only, as you set out to stop some Skaven plot, I'm not 100% sure though.

It was also pretty sweet in allowing you to choose what missions you wanted to do next (a la armored core style).

Kartia: The Word of Fate

kartiathewordoffatecovedv0.png

Essentially a tactical RPG, whose magic system revolves around using magic cards, and summoning golems (game calls em phantoms) to win battles. Most of the rounds simply entailed killing all enemies, and it was like disgaea where battles were part of the story, so each round advanced through chapters. There wasn't any random encounters like in FFT.

The story is pretty out there, what with there being two sides to the story and having a large cast of characters. I forget exactly how it goes, so if you wanna know, just wiki it.

The game was hard because if you lost any human party member, the game ended (think everyone is like Ramza from FFT, if anyone dies off, its game over).

Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance:

g04057ooggopp3.jpg

A D&D game that plays somewhat like risk. It doesn't really play as a strategy RTS, but it's so crazy that I wanna mention it anyways.

You play against other factions, gaining charisma or whatever as you grow and defeat rival factions. I guess the main enemy is the Gorgon, but the game doesn't really end, I think, until they are no enemies left on the map, but i'm not sure as my main install cd was shattered by my brother.

The really sweet part of the game comes when you try to capture a territory, as when you try to do so, you have to fight through the stage representing that area of the map. This part of the game is a first person action-adventure game and is what really made it sweet. You fight through these stages with characters you either start out with, or accumulate as you gain territories. You also get items from stages and magic to use, but you had to equip magic and items before you entered a stage, or you couldn't use them.

It was hard, but really fun to.

Also, yeah: FFT is still my favorite, and DAMMIT: beaten to Warsong (langrisser)! Man, thought I was like the only one who played that game.

Newtron on