As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can you do a hundred push ups? Joe Biden can

1565758596062»

• xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I almost failed at the end of W4D1. It's ridiculous! The new way is 21/25/21/21/32. THIRTY TWO! Holy hell I barely squeezed those last two out. If it were not for my wife I wouldn't have been able to do it.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm weak as shit and definitely started with <5, but I decided to give this a try anyhow. Am sad because I was completely unable to do week two.

MrMister on
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    variant wrote: »
    For those of you that get sore and stay sore for long periods of time, have a high protein meal right after your workout. It helps me quite a bit.

I was pretty damn sore in the first week. But going through the second week, even though it was tough to do, I'm not experiencing much soreness anymore. The 1 day rest is actually enough.

Yay! The thread is getting some traffic. I'm going to be doing my 1st exhaustion test some time today. I've got high hopes!

Underdog on
    edited October 2008
    27! Aw man, I was really hoping I'd hit 30. Still, +8 to my limit is not a bad thing.

Underdog on
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Poodles. After taking like a month of I tried again at week 5. Had to move down to rank one and even then just barely eeked out the final 20. Gotta get back into the swing of things.

Unearthly Stew on
    edited October 2008
    The end of week for is pretty harsh. I don't know how I'm ever going to do week 5 and 6...

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
    edited October 2008
    The end of week for is pretty harsh. I don't know how I'm ever going to do week 5 and 6...

Well that a shark managed to make it to week 5 is pretty impressive.

Oh god, w3d1 14/18/14/14/20. This was harder than w2d3, in which I had to do more pushups. What gives?

Underdog on
    edited October 2008
    W5 D2 complete. Again I couldn't push myself over the minimum req for the last set. I may even repeat this week. Although having the 8 sets instead of 5 helped.

Unearthly Stew on
    edited October 2008
    W5 D2 complete. Again I couldn't push myself over the minimum req for the last set. I may even repeat this week. Although having the 8 sets instead of 5 helped.

I, too, have been doing the minimum for the last set, and the only thing that is pushing me on to even make it that far is my wife saying I can do it and slapping my ass every time I come up.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    W3D2

20/25/15/15/35 (min 25)

Whaaat. I have no idea how I got that high. I doubted I could even get to the minimum on the final set, judging by how tired my arms were after the second set of 15. But I could just... keep... going. Like, way longer than I knew I could.

I guess this system works better than I thought.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I really can't seem to get past week four :?

Jragghen on
    edited October 2008
    Week 5 Day 2 isn't so bad after all. The final 45 was tough, but I did it.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
    edited October 2008
    Finally completed the updated week 4. Endurance test tomorrow then back into the swing of things :)

Jragghen on
    edited October 2008
    Week 5 is DONE! Fuck yes. That final 50 was tough, but I did it. I threw up in my mouth once, too. But I fucking did it. Week 6, here the fuck I come.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Week 5 is DONE! Fuck yes. That final 50 was tough, but I did it. I threw up in my mouth once, too. But I fucking did it. Week 6, here the fuck I come.

That sounds pretty miserable.

I'm not in it to do the 100--in fact, doing 100 push ups sounds shitty as hell. I just want to get in a little better shape and this plan seems straightforward and easy to follow.

MrMister on
    edited October 2008
    I'm with ya, MrMister, but nonetheless, being able to say that you can do 100 pushups in a single rep is sort of a monolith milestone to make it to.

Jragghen on
    edited October 2008
    So on week two I went:

4/6/4/4/3 day one, then 5/6/4/4/3 day two. I can never seem to do the last set up to the minimum value, and it's rather disheartening. This is the second time I've tried week two... the first time I failed comically enough that I dropped the program. I'm picking it back up but it still feels like I'm stuck.

And yes, yes I did start in the 'weak as fuck' column.

MrMister on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, I started again.. week two starts tonight.
    I can see week four looming in the distance.
    A cold wind blows.
    I am scared.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow, people are still starting in on this, cool. :)

I've been slacking for like 3+ months now, but I've recently gotten back into working out. I've gotten up to the point that I'm almost ready to start doing knee push-ups without the ball under me. In the course of the past month, the ball position has gone from my stomach (fulcrum slightly closer than center of mass - easy), to my pelvis (fulcrum approx. at center of mass - tougher), to my thighs (fulcrum farther than center of mass - definitely tougher).

I should be doing them without the ball in a week or two, I think I'll re-start this then. Right now, I'm doing a session on the elliptical machine M-Th (well, that's the intent, I don't think I've yet managed a full week due to one thing or another), followed by push-ups on Monday and Wednesday, crunches on Tuesday and Thursday. Shouldn't be too much to fit push-ups in on Friday as well.

Although, I have to admit, there have been times when I "cheated" a bit and substituted an extra day of push-ups for my crunches. I should probably stop doing that and just force myself to do the crunches.

Nerissa on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I need to start back up myself. I haven't stopped doing pushups, in fact I still do a ton almost every day. But I'd really like to finish the actual chart. I think I'm going to start back up at week 3 and see how I do... that kinda seems like it defeats the point but whatev.

Prospicience on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    so can any of y'all do a hundred push ups yet?

Dynagrip on
    edited October 2008
    Eh, I was up to week 5 at one point, but I started again at week 2 on Monday and have been going without a day break in between (starting day 3 tomorrow morning.)

I had been able to do about 40 at my last exhaustion test, up from like 14 on my initial test.

Unearthly Stew on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I'm going to give this a run. Do you guys allow any resting at all? Back when I was in AFROTC, in our PFT we were allowed a maximum 5 second rest in between push ups as long as it was in the "up" position.

if so...Initial Rank 3. Max:25.

VoodooV on
    edited November 2008
    Man, I have totally been slacking off. I'm at the start of week 6 and have been for the past two weeks and I'm scared to start back. Also I've been sick with a horrible cold. So maybe when I'm over this it will be fine.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, I have totally been slacking off. I'm at the start of week 6 and have been for the past two weeks and I'm scared to start back. Also I've been sick with a horrible cold. So maybe when I'm over this it will be fine.

I'm in the same position except it's been 2 months. I'm not too sure if I should start over or just continue W6 over and over. I'm probably going to go with the latter.

reminderGTO on
    28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
    edited November 2008
    MrMister wrote: »
    So on week two I went:

4/6/4/4/3 day one, then 5/6/4/4/3 day two. I can never seem to do the last set up to the minimum value, and it's rather disheartening. This is the second time I've tried week two... the first time I failed comically enough that I dropped the program. I'm picking it back up but it still feels like I'm stuck.

And yes, yes I did start in the 'weak as fuck' column.

Are you pausing during the sets? I'll do 5 or 6 and then stay up (back straight, no cheating) for a little rest before pushing out the next few. I find the pauses do a lot to help me make it through. Also, I rest like 2-3 minutes between each set. I'm not really worried about getting to 100, just doing this as exercise because I like the structure.

Underdog on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeesh, I suck. I may be able to crank out 25 when I'm fully rested. But my sets so far have been downright sloppy and a complete gasp-fest.

I started out with week 3 per the directions, but I think I'm definitely repeating it until I can do it more comfortably.

VoodooV on