As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's in a name? Your name, baby names, terrible names, awesome ones

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Any Frenchies in the thread?

My name is Yves. It's "strange" even in a billingual town.

English mispronunciacious includes "Wives" "Eevess" or "Ives".

It's actually pronounced simply "Eve" (yes, as in Christmas Eve, how often have I said that in my life)

Among friends I am sometimes called "Yvil" (Evil). Or "Eevess the Pen**" for reasons I shall not disclose.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    if I [b\came out[/b] a girl I was gonna be Georgina

If you came out a girl? What were you, Schrodinger's Baby?

(Yes, I know that some parents don't want to know the sex until the child's born; shut up, I like my lame joke.)

Schrodinger's Baby. Is that like Rosemary's Baby? You won't know whether he's the Second Coming or the Anti-Christ until you find out what he thinks of gay marriage?

Shadowen on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, you have to give parents a tiny bit of credit for wanting a unique name for their kid. Have you ever actually tried to name something. You learn very quickly just how many names there are that are attached to people who you did not like one goddamn bit. :)

The hilarity is that in MMO's like WoW Sephiroth and it's endless mispellings is a very common name

Medopine on
  • Options
    StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You know the racks in stores with dozens of some kind of trinket with a name engraved in it? Try finding a "Clint" on one of those. Apparently, my name hasn't been in the top thousand baby names in the United States since 2000. Having an uncommon name is pretty cool, but I'm not all that fond of it. Clint just doesn't roll off the tongue.

What's kind of funny is my older brother's name is Kyle. One of the few famous Clints (Clint Eastwood, of course) has a son named Kyle. This is not, however, the reason our parents named us such.

My last name, on the other hand, is excellent: Blizzard. My family gets "Is that your real name?" a lot, but when giving it to anybody over the phone, they always think it's Lizard, unless given the well-practiced line, "Blizzard, like a snowstorm."

I should use that line more often. Like a snowstorm. 8-)

Stasis on
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, in this thread we have a guy named Clint Blizzard and another guy who could go by Fox Wolfram? I feel so inadequate as one of the legion of Mikes.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm kind of sick of getting Star Wars jokes, to be honest. Everyone thinks they are fantastically clever when they tell me that they're my father or to use the force.

Now, getting compared to Paul Newman... that's a little better. Too bad more people don't go that route.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Alright.. I think this sums up all the topics that I've seen in this thread....

Weird names I've seen for children born to friends lately::

Jayden
    Jarick Damien
    Peyton Eli (is a girl)
    Kohlton
    Juliana Francesca (my niece. I love her name now)
    Titania Jane

My name's Sarah Abigail, and while I adore my middle name, I hate hate hate hate hate being called Abby. HATE it. I also hate having my name misspelled. It has an H on the end of it. So there.

My brother's name is Gordon. I think I know people whose last name is that, but he's the only Gordon I know of.

In my graduating class, there were 9 Sara(h)s, 7 Mikes, and about 6 Jaime/Jamie

I like the name Lucia...

My maternal grandparents were Hilma LeClaire and Edwin (don't remember his middle name).
    My paretnal grandparents were Dolores and Gerald.

Mom's Hebrew name is Elisheva Hodel (i don't think that's the right transilteration but.. eh). I don't remember what my father's is, but mine is (get ready for this) Sarah Avigal. Ooooohh.

For kids.. I've gone through tons of names over the years.

Girls:
    Rhiannon
    Kiernan
    Alexis/Alexandra

My boy's names choices haven't changed much at all

Caleb
    Eban

My family has a tradition (on the scottish side) to use the Clan name as our middle name, so one of my kids is gonna have the middle name of Lindsay. Probably my daughter.

Kids names as of right now:

Girls:
    D'vorah (Devorah) Lindsay
    Kennedy Lindsay

Boys:
    Caleb Aaron James (last name)

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Peyton Eli? Are they Colts fans?

I'm one of the legion of Matthews. Eventually you just stop turning around when someone yells out your first name.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Peyton Eli. And no, her mother was just a bit.....

I can't describe her mother, honestly.

I'm one of the dozens of Sarah's that I know.

Oddly enough, up here, one of the names that's most popular among guys is Brett. and Jarrod/Jered/Jared/etc

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow, Jacob and Emily have topped the US lists for years. Emily is a good name, but Jacob is mediocre at best, and soon they will be everywhere!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    When was the last time you met a guy named Bob?

I haven't seen a Bob in ages.

Godfather on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Godfather wrote: »

Bob is an abbreviation of robert

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

My great grandfather.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

One of my friends uncles name is Bob, I believe he lives in California somewhere, can't quite remember the city, he is american that much is certain :P.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tesla. For a girl.

[y/n]

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

My cousin.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tesla. For a girl.

[y/n]

You want to name your daughter after an electrician?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tesla. For a girl.

[y/n]

You want to name your daughter after an electrician?

No. The hottest mad scientist that ever did science.
    bday1.jpg

Dont make me drop the Tesla thread on D and D.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So yes, you want to name your daughter after an electrician.

Tesla sounds like a girl's name, but anyone with an education will see her with an old dead guy superimposed over her (obviously)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So many people don't know about Tesla though. I dont know how that makes me feel.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Saying Tesla was an electrician seems a bit like saying Beethoven noodled around on a piano

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    Saying Tesla was an electrician seems a bit like saying Beethoven noodled around on a piano

would you say that beethoven is not a pianist

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    This thread is about the single most kickass scientist that ever did science:

N.Tesla.JPG

Nikola Tesla

teslawheel.jpg

Aww jeah. Lookit, all pensive and broody and deep and manly an' shit, gazing at you with those soulful eyes that pierce entire mountain-ranges.

Who was Tesla, aside from full-time dream-machine? He was brilliant 19th century inventor and engineer; best known for crafting and redesigning all sorts of electric marvels and having Edison steal the limelight for many of them (he was a jerkface, pooh!). Born in Croation Krajina, he also lived in France and Hungary, but luckily for us Amurricans he decided to take a stop at the Land of Liberty. His life thereafter was spent working for The Edison Company and getting royally screwed, bouts of manual labor, starting his own company, winning the War of The Currents, creating all manner of technological wonders too numerous to count, and making great contributions to the sciences.

All that brilliance could have been boring were it not for his eccentric antics and reality-tv goldmine personality. This was a man who had flashbacks; this was a man who so overcome with a concept or idea, would be blinded by lights and be haunted by hallucinations of it; this was a man who spoke 8 friggin' languages; this was a man who hated fat people; this was a man who developed alternating current. Tesla was the cleanest guest you ever could have, fascinated by the number 3 (did things in sets of threes and refused to sleep in rooms with numbers that couldn't be divided by it), a certain hoot at the table considering you weren't fat, or wore jewelry (particularly pearl earrings) or served meat - vegetarian, doncha know. According to Hawthorne, he was also quite the poet, philosopher, music-appreciator, linguist and connoisseur of foods and fine wines. With his whole gender-equality stance you-go-grrl philosophy to match his various talents, yes ladies, he was quite a catch:

tesla.jpg

Sadly, as illustrated above - he was celibate. It is one of the biggest disgraces to befall female-kind. But the best things about him can be summed up quite simply:

He refused to hold conventions without his Tesla coil blasting electricity throughout the room, despite the audience often being terrified, though he assured them everything was perfectly safe.

and
    Tesla was obsessed with pigeons, ordering special seeds for the pigeons he fed in Central Park and even bringing some into his hotel room with him ......There, near the end of his life, when Tesla was slipping into what many consider an altered state of mind, he would claim to be visited by a specific white pigeon daily.

So when he wasn't busy being said dream-machine, he was the best kind of bat-shit insane. The original mad-scientist Nikola Tesla: the man and now, the thread.

I present you Tesla.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I would say it is accurate in a technical sense

but that it lacks nuance

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I like Babbage better than Tesla.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Babbage is cool but he wasn't crazy.

He didn't bring pigeons into his apartment. He didn't refuse to show at exhibits without his terrifying tesla coil.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Babbage is cool but he wasn't crazy.

He didn't bring pigeons into his apartment. He didn't refuse to show at exhibits without his terrifying tesla coil.

He was so crazy that he offended everyone who would possibly consider funding his science (Babbage)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

but that it lacks nuance

I would go one step further, actually, by claiming that Tesla is not an electrician not even in a technical sense (by modern definitions). Physicist, yes. Electrical engineer, yes. Some crazy guy who it would be cool to name children after, yes (mind that your daughter doesn't have bad fritzy hair days, though!).

Electrician, no.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    My girlfriend is convinced that I look like a young Nikola Tesla, though I don't have a silly little moustache.

My name is William. I go by "Will" but at various points in my youth I was "Billy" "Bill" and even "Bil" for a shameful few years. It's not really an uncommon name anywhere in the US, but is quite a bit more common in Boston than I've seen it elsewhere. Williams in Boston almost always go by "Bill," so sometimes that's what I get called around here.

I'm also the Fourth. Same name as my dad, granddad and his dad. I kind of like this fact, and if I had a son, I'd probably name him the fifth.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2008

He made a machine called a "Difference Engine" which is pretty cool. And he also employed Lord Byron's granddaughter to program it - also cool.

On the other hand, there was never such thing as a "Babbage Death Ray".

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Isn't Tesla his last name? Kind of weird making a first name after someone's last name.

Also, if you want to geek out you should do it like my co-worker. The guy is a giant Star Trek nerd and wanted to give his son a geeky name after one of the characters, but his wife wasn't having any of that so they settled on Leonard.

Pretty good compromise. Geeky in the sence that he's named after a star trek actor, but normal enough to never embarrass him later in life(or like if the next star trek movie is a horrible flop and makes Spock an embarrassment to geeks everywhere).

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »

He made a machine called a "Difference Engine" which is pretty cool. And he also employed Lord Byron's granddaughter to program it - also cool.

On the other hand, there was never such thing as a "Babbage Death Ray".
    RESOLVED : I am naming my daughter Babbage Death Ray.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I will slather young Tesla's hair with scented oils to tame her mane if need be.

And that silly little mustache was as sexy as sexy could get back then. Take your girlfriends convictions as a compliment.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is Matthew just like everyone else.
    For boys I like the names Abraham and Norman.
    I like the name Marigold for a girl.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

but that it lacks nuance

I would go one step further, actually, by claiming that Tesla is not an electrician not even in a technical sense (by modern definitions). Physicist, yes. Electrical engineer, yes. Some crazy guy who it would be cool to name children after, yes (mind that your daughter doesn't have bad fritzy hair days, though!).

Electrician, no.

You do not feel that Nikola Tesla operated, maintained, installed, or repaired electric devices or wiring?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Wandering StarWandering Star Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My birth certificate reads "Kate Elizabeth [Lastname]."

So, instead of being given a common nickname - like for instance Kate - I have spent my life explaining to people that no, my name isn't really Katherine, it's just Kate.

Weird, my name is Katharine Elizabeth, and I go by Kate. No one EVER spells my name properly, even seconds after I spell it for them, but oddly enough, Katharine Hepburn didn't seem to have the same problem.

I have the same name as my mom, but she swears I'm not really named after her, it's just her favorite girl's name. Here's a funny story though-- my mom grew up her whole life spelling her name Catherine. One day, when she was about FORTY years old, my grandma saw her writing it and just casually goes, "that's not how your name is spelled."

Cause, apparently, on my mom's birth certificate it's spelled with a K. My mom spent years trying to make sure all her official paperwork, credit cards, etc, were corrected to the Katherine spelling, but she goes by (K,C)athy, and still has not come to a consistent decision which letter to use...

Wandering Star on
    We can't play math rock in 4/4, dude.
  • Options
    ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is Cameron, which I guess is fairly common.
    I think Vladimir would be the most kickass name for my future son. (don't ask why, even I don't know)
    Or Atreides(sp?) if it's a girl.

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is Sterling, which I'm pretty good with. Parents also nearly named me Soren, which I would have been pretty cool, but c'est la vie.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    so recently I decided that Liam is a badass name and that, as such, I should have a son and name him that.

however, in the big picture, I only kinda want to have kids and even then I'd much rather have a daughter.

So I decided that I'm just gonna name my next dog Liam and in the unfortunate case that I have a son at some point in the future, I'd name him after the dog.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For years I've always hated my name and I seriously plan on changing it in the near future, It's just hard to pick out the right time to do so.

Gigaton on