As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halloween - Tricks, treats, and opinions.

TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
eebe60cc55.jpg

Halloween's Origin

The term Halloween is shortened from All Hallows' Even (both "even" and "eve" are abbreviations of "evening", but "Halloween" gets its "n" from "even") as it is the eve of "All Hallows' Day", which is now also known as All Saints' Day. It was a day of religious festivities in various northern European Pagan traditions, until Popes Gregory III and Gregory IV moved the old Christian feast of All Saints' Day from May 13 (which had itself been the date of a pagan holiday, the Feast of the Lemures) to November 1. In the ninth century, the Church measured the day as starting at sunset, in accordance with the Florentine calendar. Although All Saints' Day is now considered to occur one day after Halloween, the two holidays were, at that time, celebrated on the same day. Liturgically, the Church traditionally celebrated that day as the Vigil of All Saints, and, until 1970, a day of fasting as well. Like other vigils, it was celebrated on the previous day if it fell on a Sunday, although secular celebrations of the holiday remained on the 31st. The Vigil was suppressed in 1955, but was later restored in the post-Vatican II calendar.

Now, everyone has a view on what Halloween is to them:

Another useless corporate holiday, like Valentine's Day?

A kiddy past-time?

A great night of partying?

A reason to get out and see horror movies, check out the old haunted areas, tell ghost stories?

A satanic time in which to shield your child from the evils in your town?

I've heard it all, but what do you and the rest of the world think about all this candy and ghost nonsense? I've always loved Halloween as horror movies and being scared are some great memories from my childhood. I go to haunted houses, run a "haunted house" for trick r treaters, dress up myself and family members, rent a bunch of horror films and just have a great time.

I want this thread to be everything about Halloween you can think of. Explain why it's wonderful/stupid, tell personal/ghost stories, share costume ideas and/or pictures, pumpkin carving tips, anything.

So D&D, what do you think about Halloween?

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
TehSpectre on

• JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Halloween is a time to dress up, goof off, and party.

But most importantly, a time to kick some zombie ass.

James on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's been ruining my birthday for years.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Halloween is the day when all pretenses are dropped and women dress like sluts and men dress up as giant penises.

Kilroy on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm not very creative. People should post their Halloween costumes so I can steal them when I go to a Halloween party this year.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ah, my favorite holiday...

The day when all good boys and girls dress up as boogeymen and ghouls! Those who don't wear scary costumes are cursed for a year of bad luck! Serves them right!

Greeper on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    See, I'm not a fan of the slutty/funny costumes.

I enjoy Halloween as a scary holiday and like to dress up accordingly.

If I stop even one kid from coming up onto my porch because of how it looks, how I look, how I'm acting, etc. then it has been a great Halloween.

Last year I made a fat suit out of some oversized overalls, a plaid shirt, and a ton of pillow stuffing. I made a burlap mask (itchy as all hell) with an innocent looking stitched on smile and two mismatched buttons for eyes.

Just looking at me, I seemed like I real scarecrow, due to the slight pudginess and when people touched me I was soft, like a pillow.

I wasn't scary looking per-se, but when someone sees a seemingly inanimate object come to life, it is terrifying. Especially with a goofy grin and button eyes.

Bonus: I had some Japanese tourists have one of their members take a picture next to me. Right before the guy took the picture, I put my arm around the girl's shoulder and she screamed louder than anyone I have ever heard.

I hope they remember that moment fondly.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Halloween is by far my favorite holiday, and maybe the closest I ever get to being happy during the course of a year.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm kind of 'meh' about Halloween.

In the UK it has become much more 'Americanized' of late, and so we've started getting trick-or-treaters at the door, and as I don't keep sweets in the house, it's kind of annoying - I really don't want to spend money on sweets for other people!

Also, when I was a kid, Guy Fawkes night was a much bigger affair. We'd go down to the local field appropiated for the purpose, and there would be a big bonfire and hot tea and snacks, and at the end of the night there's be some fireworks...it was much more fun.

BobCesca on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    See, I'm not a fan of the slutty/funny costumes.

I enjoy Halloween as a scary holiday and like to dress up accordingly.

Oh I agree. I was just musing about the general state of the holiday as I have seen it.

My roommate's throwing a masquerade party this year. My original plan was to dress up as the Joker (full makeup) with a clown mask from the bank heist, but I don't have the funds to do it as well as I would like. I've decided to do Two-Face instead. I'm going to pick up an old suit at a consignment shop, burn half of it, and pick up a mask to burn as well.

Hopefully it will be as awesome as I picture it.

Kilroy on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bonus: I had some Japanese tourists have one of their members take a picture next to me. Right before the guy took the picture, I put my arm around the girl's shoulder and she screamed louder than anyone I have ever heard.

I hope they remember that moment fondly.

That kind of thing is remembered forever. When me and a friend went trick-or-treating years ago, there was this house that was decorated very elaborately, and when he kicked one of the "props," it came to life and scared the hell out of us.

This year I am going as Dwight, so anyone who meets me will be absolutely terrified.

James on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The centerpiece of my costume will be a tribal, handcarved mask brought back from the hidden reaches of my homeland: The Dark Continent. It is said to have been worn by shaman during the very act of ritual sacrifice. I just made that up.

img!

Greeper on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    Hey, it's Halloween. That time of the year to scare your friends shitless.

Since our friend, who will be called Joey, never parcipates in our annual Halloween activities, we decided that we'll involve him this year even if he doesn't want to.

Joey's brother, who was in with us in this thing, told him that he might keep some of the spare Halloween decoration in his room. The "decorations" were my friend Chris, dressed as a dead guy, Mikael, dressed fully in a 'wolfman' costume, and me, a giant pumpkin with an opening in the bottom for when I wanted to stand up to scare the kids. We actually used them earlier in the day, sitting still outside like decorations until some kids came to get candy, and then suddenly moving and scaring the little things; it was fun.

So his brother let us into the house a bit before Joey was supposed to come back from the volunteer work thing he was doing at the zoo. When we saw a car pull into the driveway, we got into his room and lowered the dial of the light and hoped that Joey wouldn't bother turning it all the way up. I sat in the corner, and the other two laid beside me, trying to do their best impression lifeless dolls. When Joey comes into the room, and then sit at his computer like he usually does, we were going to make him piss in his pants.

Joey came into the room with another friend that we'll call Jessica. Getting two instead of one is great, but these two weren't overdressed by the time they got into the room. Joey was wearing pants, and Jessica's Halloween costume consisted of jeans and a bra. I assessed our situation, and it did not look good. I wanted to communicate with teammates Chris and Mikael, but that seemed difficult with me being a giant fucking pumpkin.

In the precious seconds lost our situation was definitely not improving. Also, it seemed that our victims were missing two pairs of pants and a bra. We had to do something. A pumpkin said "Excuse me..."

Then Jessica was screaming at the top of her lungs, Joey jumped toward his open closet and grabbed bat. He only hit me once before he heard "Stop, it's me! It's me!"

I wanted to fully explain the situation to them, but all Joey wanted was for us to "Get the fuck out of here now!" Anyways, we went downstairs, had some Pepsi while watching the end of the Pittsburgh-Baltimore game and explained everything when they came downstairs wearing clothes. I think we explained ourselves rather well. Everyone's cool now.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I like it, not my favorite, as candy is not that great of a thing to get. It isn't like it is very expensive or even desirable, what with the calories and cavity promoting sugars. I much prefer presents of some substance to candy. That goes for giving it too. I don't get to go into someone's house weeks later and think, hey I gave them that, what a swell guy I am. No, they just devour it in short order and say "Thanks"

The halloween haunt at Knott's Berry Farm is good times. My sister and aunt have worked there for a few years as monsters. It is cool to see what goes on behind the scenes; some ghoul kickin' back, drinkin some soda... a crudely drawn penis adorning the back of some maze wall.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • areaarea Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    BobCesca wrote: »
    In the UK it has become much more 'Americanized' of late, and so we've started getting trick-or-treaters at the door, and as I don't keep sweets in the house, it's kind of annoying - I really don't want to spend money on sweets for other people!

I actually think Americans get a better deal out of Halloween. Being able to dress up as whatever you like - regardless of how scary it's meant to be - more than outweighs having to buy sweets for other people.

area on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Also, when I was a kid, Guy Fawkes night was a much bigger affair. We'd go down to the local field appropiated for the purpose, and there would be a big bonfire and hot tea and snacks, and at the end of the night there's be some fireworks...it was much more fun.

Man, you poms do guy fawkes all wrong. There are four things you need: Alcohol, alcohol, fireworks, and fireworks. The best mix ever, really.

L|ama on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah nothing say's holiday like tea... wtf.

Halloween is my favorite holiday. There's just so much magic surrounding it for me. The autumn air, the costumes... I'm just completely in love with it.

It doesn't even detract from my birthday on Nov. 1st.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    L|ama wrote: »

Man, you poms do guy fawkes all wrong. There are four things you need: Alcohol, alcohol, fireworks, and fireworks. The best mix ever, really.

I was 7 years old! Hot tea when the temperature is hovering around 0 is very, very nice.

BobCesca on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Haven't really done much for Halloween the past couple years... had a costume maybe three years back, haven't done anything special really since. Maybe I'll be taking some younger relatives trick or treating this year though - that might be fun.

DarkPrimus on
    edited October 2008

Do your part to support the tradition. Those kids will grow up and give out candy, and a magical tradition will be cloned on your side of the pond.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't much like Halloween. It could be because when I was 14 or so, my parents put our dog to sleep while I was out trick-or-treating. Without telling me beforehand. I didn't notice until I was home, industriously separating the good candy from the bad (I mean, seriously, Good n Plenty? What the hell?) and my mom asked me if I missed anything.

I also lived the last 4 years in Salem, MA, which is Halloween central. The entire month of October is basically a giant festival, which is pretty cool. But Halloween night itself pretty much sucks for the residents...we can barely drive in or out of town, it leaves downtown a horrible mess, and last year a 14-year-old got raped in an alley.

So, not so much of a fan.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    edited October 2008
    S-she literally said to you... "Is there something missing in this picture?" or something?

Jesus Mary and Joseph, sir.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

This pretty much sums up my, and I think everybody else in the UK's, feelings on the matter.

On the plus side maybe there will be a party, but people rare make much of an effort with costumes, so it's normally a slight disappointment. On the downside for a couple of days either side you get kids begging you for sweets and that is not cool.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited October 2008
    Seriously, you UKers are dead inside. Absolutely dead inside.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Halloween is a horrible time where people throw fireworks for four weeks prior and four weeks after the shitty event takes place. Around here there are so many incidences of fireworks in letterboxes, fireworks taped to cats and the like that I've really grown to despise Halloween.

Tav on
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I will be going as a Scout from TF2. Posted it in another Halloween thread (Wubble Woo forum, maybe?) but here it is again:

scout2.jpg

1ddqd on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I hate halloween. I hate that the UK is being americanised (nothing against America, AT ALL - I love coming to the US, love meeting you Yanks, love lots of things about America) But I'm English!!!!

When i was a child, we didn't celebrate halloween at all, I still don't. We get raw eggs thown at our house, its really annoying.

We do celebrate Guy Fawkes night, we have a fireworks party, with roast chestnuts, sausages, baked potatoes, mulled wine, parkin, toffee apples, cinder toffee (like the inside of crunchie bars). When i was a child, we went penny for the guy-ing, and made loads of money.
    I also don't think its safe letting children wander around on their own (which happens here) asking strangers for sweets.

Bah, humbug!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited October 2008
    Fuck yeah 1ddqd :^:

Tav on
    edited October 2008
    I don't get Guy Fawkes day... to me it seems like celebrating John Wilkes Booth... but whatever... clearly you Brits don't appreciate Halloween (despite its inception in your isles) and therefore no candy apples for you.

No... that's cruel. Take a small one.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    I don't get Guy Fawkes day... to me it seems like celebrating John Wilkes Booth... but whatever... clearly you Brits don't appreciate Halloween (despite its inception in your isles) and therefore no candy apples for you.

Yeah, it's like they openly celebrate rebellion and treason. I mean, the guy was planning to assassinate the King. King James may have been a bad king, I dunno, never met the guy. But to celebrate it today isn't a remark against King James, it's an attack against government/religion in general. Kinda weird for a nation to celebrate treason as a united people :P

Galielmus on
    edited October 2008
    Aren't they celebrating stopping him and burning him alive at the stake?

Tav on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Galielmus wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »

Yeah, it's like they openly celebrate rebellion and treason. I mean, the guy was planning to assassinate the King. King James may have been a bad king, I dunno, never met the guy. But to celebrate it today isn't a remark against King James, it's an attack against government/religion in general. Kinda weird for a nation to celebrate treason as a united people :P
    Err, treason is not celebrated. We burn effigies of Guy Fawkes.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ooohhh that makes more sense. There goes that old projection thing again...

Galielmus on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    1ddqd wrote: »
    I will be going as a Scout from TF2. Posted it in another Halloween thread (Wubble Woo forum, maybe?) but here it is again:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/jboase/scout2.jpg

That's... pretty good actually. :^:

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited October 2008
    Thanks Tav, Goatmon. I'll be adding the headset and medical tape this year - you know how hard it was to find (on short notice) a ONE SIDED headet with a mic? Even army-navy surplus was out! Had plenty of folding shovels though!

1ddqd on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm a bit overweight, but I have a decent soldier build.

That would probably make for a fun costume.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited October 2008
    And easy, too - worst part would be making a rocket launcher, but shotguns or shovels are good alts

1ddqd on
    edited October 2008
    And easy, too - worst part would be making a rocket launcher, but shotguns or shovels are good alts

Carrying around a shotgun is a great idea!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • GafferoGaffero Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    I don't much like Halloween. It could be because when I was 14 or so, my parents put our dog to sleep while I was out trick-or-treating. Without telling me beforehand. I didn't notice until I was home, industriously separating the good candy from the bad (I mean, seriously, Good n Plenty? What the hell?) and my mom asked me if I missed anything.

I also lived the last 4 years in Salem, MA, which is Halloween central. The entire month of October is basically a giant festival, which is pretty cool. But Halloween night itself pretty much sucks for the residents...we can barely drive in or out of town, it leaves downtown a horrible mess, and last year a 14-year-old got raped in an alley.

I'm in the same boat; I had to put down my dog on Halloween -- he was dying of liver cancer and was no longer able to eat or function normally.

We put him down that evening, an hour or so before we were to go trick-or-treating. I couldn't find it in me to go that year, and I haven't gone since. I also don't bother buying candy anymore as no kids every stop by.

Thanksgiving is my Autumn holiday of choice.

Gaffero on
    edited October 2008

Carrying around a shotgun is a great idea!

Srsly, just paint the orange tip black! For realism!

1ddqd on
    edited October 2008
    Gaffero wrote: »
    GoodOmens wrote: »

I'm in the same boat; I had to put down my dog on Halloween -- he was dying of liver cancer and was no longer able to eat or function normally.

We put him down that evening, an hour or so before we were to go trick-or-treating. I couldn't find it in me to go that year, and I haven't gone since. I also don't bother buying candy anymore as no kids every stop by.

Thanksgiving is my Autumn holiday of choice.

See, kids don't come by my place either, so I go over to a relative's house and convert their porch into a haunted house and hand out candy/scare kids.

Oh, and if you come by with no costume, a pillowcase, and are 14+ you get nothing and I will taunt you by giving the kid in front of you 2 pieces.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg