As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What's in a name? Your name, baby names, terrible names, awesome ones

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Name's David. It's pretty nice, not too weird but not that common either.

Full name however is a completely different story. Not only it is a extremely common source of bad puns, but I must cut off strangers before they say it because I swear they will not say it right. It's the bad kind of weird.

Also if I ever get a daughter, she will be named Alice.

Dac Vin on
  • AetherAether Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm a David too, as far as nicknames go Dave is fine, I hate Davy. Makes me sound like I'm three.

Surname is not common at all, no one can spell it right.

Googled my full name once. Couldn't find me, but I found my name double. Oddly enough his wife has the same name as my wife, and they're both teachers.

My son is Ashton, baby number two with probably be Xander if it's a boy, or Xanthe if it's a girl (Lily as a middle name, after my grandmother).

I also like Hannah or Brianna for a girl, but Brianna would never go with my surname.

On the topic of legendary names, our dog is called Persephone.

Aether on
  • AllatarAllatar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My first name is Nicky...I'm a dude.
    So, yeah I've had to explain that more times than I want to remember.

Allatar on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The strangest nickname I have is from my dad. He calls me Puddy...which is a shortening of Pudding Face 'cos I wasn't very smiley as a baby.

Luckily, he's the only one that does this.

BobCesca on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So referring to you as Puddy now.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    BobCesca wrote: »
    The strangest nickname I have is from my dad. He calls me Puddy...which is a shortening of Pudding Face 'cos I wasn't very smiley as a baby.

Luckily, he's the only one that does this.

puddy%5B1%5D.jpg

Yeah. That's right.

Premier kakos on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am Bo.

I like it, it's pretty unique.

Terrible name to have in elementary/middle school though. Rhymes with too many things.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Sanguine LibitinariusSanguine Libitinarius Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My favorite boy's name would have to be Aloysius, but I don't think I'd like it being shortened to "Al"

Sanguine Libitinarius on
  • ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I used to run a canvass office in Philadelphia. We hired for short time work, so we were doing interviews constantly. I saw all sorts of crazy names come through.

Personal favorite: Saf-aye-en-aye
    spelled: Caffeine

My wife is a med student. Apparently there are horror stories about mothers trying to name their kids with words they see on the charts, most notable "miconium."
    Baby's first poo.

I can relate to that last one. A woman gave birth to twins, and found their names on the hospital food list: Lemonjello [luh-MON-jello] and Orangejello [uh-RON-jello].

Toldo on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Toldo wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I used to run a canvass office in Philadelphia. We hired for short time work, so we were doing interviews constantly. I saw all sorts of crazy names come through.

Personal favorite: Saf-aye-en-aye
    spelled: Caffeine

My wife is a med student. Apparently there are horror stories about mothers trying to name their kids with words they see on the charts, most notable "miconium."
    Baby's first poo.

I can relate to that last one. A woman gave birth to twins, and found their names on the hospital food list: Lemonjello [luh-MON-jello] and Orangejello [uh-RON-jello].

This is a very old, very annoying joke.

Wonder_Hippie on
    edited October 2008
    So, I've been thinking about changing my name for a long time. One idea that has always been good in my mind was "Turing". Since this thread is about names, I figured I'd pose the question. Thoughts?

Premier kakos on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, I've been thinking about changing my name for a long time. One idea that has always been good in my mind was "Turing". Since this thread is about names, I figured I'd pose the question. Thoughts?

That sounds interesting. Please tell me more.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited October 2008

What... do you want me to tell you?

Premier kakos on
  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

No.

It's going to be interpreted as "Touring", which puts you in some white trash street drag racing camp.

Otherwise it's a gay nerdy dude who hated himself so much he ate a cyanidy apple.

How would you like to be called Nicodemus?

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008

I want you to tell me whatever you want to talk about!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited October 2008
    yotes wrote: »
    Otherwise it's a gay nerdy dude who hated himself so much he ate a cyanidy apple.

Eat shit and die.

Premier kakos on
    edited October 2008

Ass. I want to hear your thoughts on "Turing" as a given name.

Premier kakos on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    What's your name now?

Medopine on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's a surname and would be kind of awkward as a first name

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    What's your name now?

Mark. I've always hated it, primarily because it's kind of boring, but also because I have this weird psychological tick that I get REALLY annoyed when I hear my name and the speaker is not talking to me.

Premier kakos on
  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mark isn't a bad name.

If it makes you feel any better, it means "bone marrow" in German.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Would you keep your surname?

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
    edited October 2008
    stilist wrote: »
    Would you keep your surname?

Yeah. I like my last name.

Premier kakos on
    edited October 2008

Ass. I want to hear your thoughts on "Turing" as a given name.

I haven't thought much about on Turing as a given name, so I don't have a good answer for you.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My middle name is "Ejan". Which is weird cause its pronounced "Ian".

I blame my weird ass mother.

Talkc on
  • Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I had a friend who's name was Draco, now there's a name. At least I think that's how it was spelt... everyone called him Drew.

My name is fairly dull and forces me to stick numbers on the end from an old inside joke of my introduction to the internet to use it on forums and emails and whatnot. Because I'm too lame to come up with an awesome nickname.

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is Myles. I haven't met very many others, which is good I think. People usually screw up the spelling by putting an 'i' instead of a 'y', but I don't blame them.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    My name makes people think I was raised by wood elves.

Killjoy on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Turing is a fine last name but not a very good first name, to be honest.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Sir Lollington the 3rdSir Lollington the 3rd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Killjoy wrote: »
    My name makes people think I was raised by wood elves.

Are you called Legolas or Elrond?

I think Turing just sounds weird as a first name and it isn't as easy to use as Mark. Expect to have people mispronounce and misspell it. I rather have a boring name than a name that makes people go "huh?"

Sir Lollington the 3rd on
  • NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mark isn't a bad name.

And it means "field" in danish as in a corn field, wheat field or such. It is also the tail end of name of Danmark/Denmark, which pretty much mean "The field of the danes" ("Danernes mark").

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My first name, Shaun, means God's Grace

My last name, Stoddard, means Keeper of Horses

Funny thing about that is I'm a Pagan (so there's plenty of Gods to choose from) and I've never ridden a horse in my life

TrueHereticX on
  • GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've never personally met anyone with my first name, Pierce. It makes me feel special.

Gammarah on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A name like Kenzie, people always assume my real name is McKenzie

it's Kenneth.

RubberAC on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gammarah wrote: »
    I've never personally met anyone with my first name, Pierce. It makes me feel special.
    I knew a pierce. Nice guy. Everyone called him Brosnan. or I did, anyway. Mentally.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name's Benaiah. My dad's a Christian, so he got the first one on the recommendation of a pastor.

My middle name, Wo Shi, apparently means "I Am" in Chinese (my mom is Chinese). This is a reference to when God appeared to Moses as a burning bush and referred to Himself as "I Am".

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    NATIK wrote: »
    Mark isn't a bad name.

And it means "field" in danish as in a corn field, wheat field or such. It is also the tail end of name of Danmark/Denmark, which pretty much mean "The field of the danes" ("Danernes mark").

If you're going to try to improve my opinion of my given name by saying what it means, at least go for the bad ass original meaning: "Of Mars".

As far as misspellings, I get enough of that with my last name, so I'm used to dealing with that crap. Ultimately, I'm after something unique and somewhat reflective of who I am.

Premier kakos on
  • NatanekoNataneko Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like that when you google image my name, all you get is picture of naked women.:P

it is also the name of a sexy flight attendant from a french comic book I liked to read when I was a little girl.

I really have no idea what I'd like to name my kids and fear the day I'll have to. It takes me hours naming a character in a videogame. I'm glad I'll have the 9 months off to think about it :lol:

Nataneko on
  • Sir Lollington the 3rdSir Lollington the 3rd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just give yourself a name that was used by several kings like Henry, Edward, Charles, Ivan, James, Harold, Louis or Philip. Then you can laugh at all the silly people with commoner names like Taylor and Smith that are inspired by jobs that are beneath your royal stature.

Sir Lollington the 3rd on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is Connell, and people never, ever spell it correctly, usually dropping one of the l's or n's, or both. People often call me Connor or Colin.

It's a damned unique name though, I've never met another Connell. Some people have it as a last name though.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png