As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cave Story on the Wii! Huzzah!

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    I didn't know you could save Curly. D:

You're an awful and terrible person and you suck.

That's what my girlfriend told me when she asked me about that.

Henroid on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Henroid wrote: »

I'm awful and terrible because I didn't know? Or was she saying YOU'RE awful and terrible?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I'm awful and terrible because I didn't know? Or was she saying YOU'RE awful and terrible?

Both. And it's not so much as for not knowing, but not doing.

Henroid on
    edited October 2008

Heh. Well if I had known I'd have done it. Too late for now but maybe for another playthrough.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited October 2008

Heh. Well if I had known I'd have done it. Too late for now but maybe for another playthrough.

It's why I played through a second time. It was my goal to make it happen. And it was really worth it too!

Henroid on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh and when you're choosing a weapon, Spur will make fighting easier, and Snake will make the endgame platforming less rapish.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited October 2008
    Spur is the shit. I'm not a fan of the Nemesis much. You don't really have enough time to sit there and repeat shots before having to move and dodge something. Much rather aim well, take my one shot, and focus on not getting hit.

Plus, the Whimsical Star or whatever it is called... way more useful than it would seem.
    Last Cave, if you're on the hard mode type, it pretty much lets you bypass having to boost under the Presses.

I have no honor, but I have no shame either.

Edit - And I totally just beat the game again like 2 minutes ago. :3

Henroid on
    edited October 2008
    Spur is the shit. I'm not a fan of the Nemesis much. You don't really have enough time to sit there and repeat shots before having to move and dodge something. Much rather aim well, take my one shot, and focus on not getting hit.

Plus, the Whimsical Star or whatever it is called... way more useful than it would seem.
    Last Cave, if you're on the hard mode type, it pretty much lets you bypass having to boost under the Presses.

How do you get this so called Hard Mode? Is it a legitimately good and challenging hard mode? (Think Shadow of the Colossus)

Cantido on
  • TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cantido wrote: »

How do you get this so called Hard Mode? Is it a legitimately good and challenging hard mode? (Think Shadow of the Colossus)

I think he's talking about the hard version of the Final Cave.

Timestones on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    jothki wrote: »
    Mid-late game spoilers:
    Just where is the Tow Rope, anyway? Do you need to find it before you fight the Core?
    It's in the same room, but disappears once the battle starts. Instead of talking to Curly, check the lower-right.

Cool, thanks.

Is that bullshit or what? That's only the beginning.

What do you mean? I know exactly what I need to do for the best ending.

E: Okay, I seriously can't find the damn thing. Where is it, exactly?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mid-late game spoilers:
    Just where is the Tow Rope, anyway? Do you need to find it before you fight the Core?
    It's in the same room, but disappears once the battle starts. Instead of talking to Curly, check the lower-right.

Cool, thanks.

It's on the bottom-right corner.

Djiem on
    edited October 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Mid-late game spoilers:

Cool, thanks.

I've checked every inch of the bottom-right corner. Do I just press down to get it?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited October 2008
    Mid-late game spoilers:

Cool, thanks.

I've checked every inch of the bottom-right corner. Do I just press down to get it?

As far as I remember, yes. It's supposed to be shining, too. You should spot a sparkle somewhere.
    You don't have the booster, right?

Djiem on
    edited October 2008
    Durr, a thought occurs:
    you can't get it if you got the jet pack, can you?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Durr, a thought occurs:

No you can't.

Peewi on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Durr, a thought occurs:

This is the really retarded part of the "get the best ending" sequence, so I'm gonna elect to leave it unspoilered:

Nope, if you got the Booster v0.8 by checking on Prof. Booster after he falls you done fucked up. You have to make the (slightly tricky) jump across the chasm and leave the area without speaking to him or getting the Booster.

(more details)
    You get the Booster v2.0 later by doing this, which just doesn't make any goddamn sense but whatever!

A book later gives a very very vague hint that says he needs time to upgrade the Booster from v0.8 to 2.0. I guess the implication is that you need to leave him alone when he falls to his death or something!

Ledneh on
    edited October 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Durr, a thought occurs:

This is the really retarded part of the "get the best ending" sequence, so I'm gonna elect to leave it unspoilered:

Nope, if you got the Booster v0.8 by checking on Prof. Booster after he falls you done fucked up. You have to make the (slightly tricky) jump across the chasm and leave the area without speaking to him or getting the Booster.

(more details)
    You get the Booster v2.0 later by doing this, which just doesn't make any goddamn sense but whatever!

A book later gives a very very vague hint that says he needs time to upgrade the Booster from v0.8 to 2.0. I guess the implication is that you need to leave him alone when he falls to his death or something!

Which brings us back to what I said earlier. You should have the CHOICE to take the booster from him or not, with him explaining he's trying to improve it, and also be able to climb back up without it.

Djiem on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Durr, a thought occurs:

(more details)

Which brings us back to what I said earlier. You should have the CHOICE to take the booster from him or not, with him explaining he's trying to improve it, and also be able to climb back up without it.
    I think it's just funny
    He dies if you talk to him but lives if you don't. So backwards.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Durr, a thought occurs:

(more details)

I think it's just funny
    He dies if you talk to him but lives if you don't. So backwards.
    I'm willing to forgive it because it's toying with a trope. Booster survives just long enough to help you before dying, but if you just ignore him, he loses the opportunity to barely survive long enough to help you and ends up living.

jothki on
    edited October 2008
    So I beat it earlier and got the good ending. I may start a new save soon and go for the best one but not just yet.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited October 2008
    Durr, a thought occurs:

(more details)

Wait, you can? Because I didn't want to take it. I made the jump the first time, and came back around after hitting the Labyrinth shop, but fell. Thinking I couldn't get back up without it, I (very angrily) took the Booster v0.8.

E: D'oh, misread that. Yeah, I'm not too happy about that. I suppose it's nothing more than a minor annoyance, but a tiny little accident like that shouldn't change the entire ending.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited October 2008
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet (end game spoilers)!
    I kept trying to get through Sacred Ground and normally couldn't make it past the spikey room (the first one). Then I did. Awesome! Onto the next room, with falling blocks and angels oh fuck. But it wasn't too bad. Third room was where I started to get fucked. Every time an angel fell into spikes to die I was made because I had little health going into things. Finally made it to the Big Press boss, and was making okay progress... 'til an angel killed me. D:

Round two on Big Press boss I win. Savvy. I make it to Ballos and beat his first form unharmed. I thought that was pretty great. Then I hear a sound after he disappears, and before I can react he turns into a big rock and crushes me. D:

Round three! I get to Ballos yet again and avoid his death stomp entrance for his second form. I defeat it (after a long time; imagine being able to land next to his eye and shoot it with the Spur for MASSIVE DAMAGE) and decide to use my health pot. I may as well, just to get a hold of the next fight right? Well I get hit twice right away by his swirling eye things, but beat that form rather quickly. Then I see platforms around the room. And then notice spikes are forming on the ground. Up I go.

I didn't have a CLUE on what to do so I shoot rapidly. I remember I have level 2 missiles after a bit and start chugging them into Ballos. Down to one hit. By some miracle, I score enough missile hits and he's dead.

The ending was pretty great. :3

And my time was 15:51. D:

Henroid on
    edited October 2008
    The Remix Project is fun times. You'll have to fix up the metatag Album title in iTunes though.

Grassland and Outer Wall Remixes <3

They fucked up the theme song hard though, it's just a loop of the first half.

I've just been looping this

Cantido on
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How unfortunate. The links to that remix aren't working.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nothing tricky about it, there's a marker on the floor where you need to jump.

Glal on
    edited October 2008
    RBach wrote: »

Use the individual links at the bottom.

Cantido on
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RBach wrote: »

Use the individual links at the bottom.

D'oh! Thanks. :oops:

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Also,

Holy shit.

Cantido on
    edited October 2008
    I have to start all over because
    I can't get the upgraded Polar Star without the Booster v2.0! :x

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Ahahaha, that's right. The game really screws you over for that one.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was able to get it without the Booster v2.0, although it took me almost 15 minutes of retrying the jump.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also,

[video]

Congratulations, you found the video I posted on the second page.

It is pretty amazing though, isn't it?

joshofalltrades on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also,

[video]

Don't blame him. It's not his fault he isn't as good as The Guy.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That tank boss with the two tractor treads can bugger right off. Bah!

Fucking love this game, i'd never played it before i saw this thread. I hope "Pixel" gets lots of cash from this, he deserves it.

Lly on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Don't blame him. It's not his fault he isn't as good as The Guy.

Honestly, Quote should be in the Hall of Former The Guys.

joshofalltrades on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lly wrote: »

Fucking love this game, i'd never played it before i saw this thread. I hope "Pixel" gets lots of cash from this, he deserves it.

I got stuck on that boss the first time I played the game. He's a real son of a bitch, just dodge around until he stops and then use the level 3 sword on his innards. Works like a charm.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm pretty sure that I has been able to get up to the first cave with the Booster v0.8.

Peewi on
    edited October 2008
    Lly wrote: »

Use the sword, level 2 does the most damage per second. The first time I fought him I tried pretty much every other weapon before I tried the sword, which took him apart pretty fast.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited October 2008
    Also,

[video]

I am late to this game, and all things good in life.

Cantido on
    edited October 2008
    Don't worry, I was being slightly facetious.

Nobody answered my question though.

joshofalltrades on