As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Prox's Mythtamer thread!

PROXPROX Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys I've been developing this for a while. Tell me what you think?!

thebeastmaster.jpg

beastmaster2.jpg

beastmaster3.jpg

beastmaster4.jpg

beastmaster5.jpg

tengu.jpg

tengucolor.jpg

mythtamer.jpg

myth_progress.jpg

PROX on

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Impressed. That's what I am. I'll give you crits when I find my mandible.

Value range, tribal concepts, tengu- you couldn't give me much better.

Tam on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That masked witch doctor thing is a total badass. And he is going to give me nightmares.

earthwormadam on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That masked witch doctor thing is a total badass. And he is going to give me nightmares.

that's his face. he's a giant mythical bird man spirit monster that haunts forests.

PROX on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This stuff is going to rock out pretty hard, man...I can feel it.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again......I love those sketches.

NightDragon on
    edited October 2008
    Thanks ND! And thanks Tam!

I'm giving it everything.

PROX on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    In my opinion there is not nearly enough tengu-related art on this board

RubberAC on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    These are awesome, keep posting the progress plz kthx

Asamof the Horrible on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wait, so what exactly are you developing? A game? A story?

It's all pretty effin awesome. I honestly didn't know how good you were with "serious" drawings like these. I've only seen your carrots and cartoons.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    hey prox. awesome stuff man. looks really freaking cool.

love Tengu!

r-jasper on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    That tengu has a big nose. How does he smell?

Terrible!

wait

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kazhiim, get back in your cage.

Tam on
  • JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow, totally awesome. Yeah I was kind of wondering what it was for also, because the only thing I can see (since these appear to be character designs which would imply you would be drawing them a lot) is detail gonna be an issue? I mean the Myth Tamer has A LOT of intricate detail work I imagine would take forever to reproduce.

JohnTWM on
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow. You can consider me pretty much floored by this display. I'd love to go and knit pick if I find anything, or have the time later. As of right now I'm a little too taken aback. I'd honestly forgotten just how fucking capable you are.

Buckwolfe on
    edited October 2008
    Just a thought, but have you tried reversing the horns on it's head? here is a quick edit to your original image to show what it would look like.
    beastmaster5changesux7.pngvs.beastmaster5iu4.jpg
    I think it gives a better over all balance to the figure, but you might disagree.

JohnTWM on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    fucking awesome prox

beavotron on
    edited October 2008
    John: I just copy and paste the lineart into the texture file as a based to paint over. Not as complicated as you think. Also I feel like the way I had it has better balance. The composition makes you look over the face, instead of going down one side.

Buckwolfe: Thanks verymuch! I look forward to crits. Also i may change the fuzzy sleaves to pleated kimono stuff. The hair is not too interesting to me right now.

Beavo: Thanks Ms. Tron!

PROX on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Awesome drawing Prox but I'm kinda feeling that there's just a touch too much shit going on with it.Like a lot of the bells and whistles could be removed to make it a bit cleaner.

eg.
    Spoilered for nasty clone stamping.
    beastmaster5tl9.jpg

Anyway just my two cents.

Mustang on
    edited October 2008
    PROX wrote: »
    Buckwolfe: Also i may change the fuzzy sleaves to pleated kimono stuff. The hair is not too interesting to me right now.

I'm all for experimentation, but I can't help feeling that a pleated sleeve would only flatten out the image, and run the risk of making the overall design that much less inspired. That's not to say that you shouldn't give it a shot. By all means, please do so, but I personally can't see it being more interesting than what you already have going. Could be wrong though. Even so I am 100% in favor of a hair, or hair-like material. If you're not that keen on hair, then try a substitute. Like straw, or something of that ilk.

I think that the problem (if there is one to speak of) that you might have with the hair, is that the way you're drawing it. It almost looks like cloth to me, instead of...well....not cloth. I love the idea of hair themed apparel, but it doesn't look like its acting like hair would. Hair tends to sort of...bunch? Clump? In any case, it doesn't have the same physics as a sheet of cloth does.

John: I'm also not completely sure if I agree with your idea. I keep staring at the two side-by-side, and find myself more drawn to Prox's original. It has a much nicer flow to it. If you just follow the flow of the tip of each extremity to the opposing one, it has a much smoother flow, or transition.

Mustang: Not to be overly negative, but I'm very keen on the overt bells and whistles. I can see where you're coming from though. It might not be that there's too much, but that it doesn't feel completely unified. With no disrespect to Prox, or his fantastic art, the drawing in general feels unpolished. Its on the right fucking track and all, but I think it might be missing that last vital step to really bring it full circle.

I suck at conveying ideas sometimes. This might be one of them.

Buckwolfe on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Being a tribal-inspired design, extravagent charms and skulls and things like that really add to it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I did take that into account...but I dunno, it still looks overdone to me.
    Like doorways would be an insurmountable task, "Oh fuck the mythtamer is coming! Call the builders! We need double doorways on these huts poste haste or there's going to be a shitstorm heading ourway!"

Mustang on
    edited October 2008
    I guess I could see how that might be valid, if it were the case. However, I'm just not seeing it, Mustang. As far as I'm concerned, it could even stand to have more, if it were treated carefully. It doesn't necessarily need more though. As it stands I think that its not only perfectly adequate, but accurate.

Buckwolfe on
    edited October 2008
    Look, just start agreeing with me okay! Is it really that hard? To just agree with me! GOD!

Mustang on
    edited October 2008
    It's for your own good. I do it because I care, dammit!!

Buckwolfe on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I agree with Mustang, but I have always preferred the simpler things when it comes to design.

rts on
    edited October 2008
    I think it's fine, actually...the only thing that I would change are the sleeves, or the lower-half of the "pants". I feel like if either one were less "voluminous", it would fix whatever problem there seems to be with it looking over-complex. There are just so many large forms and shapes like that, I think making one of those two thinner or something would make it look a bit better.

NightDragon on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It seems like people generally like the big foofy guy, so I realize I'm gonna be the outlier here, but I really have to say that the design is just not jiving with me.

It's difficult to articulate exactly why I don't like it, so forgive me if this is clear as mud. The costume just seems too flamboyant and, well, "foofy". It's like a cross between a K.I.S.S. and a Cher costume with a shaman flavor. Something about the rhythm of the shapes makes it seem almost puppet-like. Maybe if we could see him in a pose moving around or gesturing a bit more naturally like most of the original silhouette thumbnails it might change my mind.

Scosglen on
    edited October 2008
    It's not a costume, it's wings. He is a bird-man. That's essentially what a Tengu is.

RubberAC on
    edited October 2008
    RubberAC wrote: »
    It's not a costume, it's wings. He is a bird-man. That's essentially what a Tengu is.

I think scos was talking about the Myth Tamer, not Tengu, but I could be wrong.

JohnTWM on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yes, I'm talking about the Myth Tamer.

Scosglen on
    edited October 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. I will work on the sleeves. They are kinda lazy...

PROX on
    edited October 2008
    Oh ok that makes way more sense. I just thought it was a girl. Thus the 'foofy guy' threw me off.

RubberAC on
    edited October 2008
    Update!

mythprog1.jpg
    mythprog2.jpg
    mythprog3.jpg

To save time, i've decided to forgo texturing the muscles of the legs, and went straight to the sleeves.

PROX on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd really love to see the archer developed as well. :D

NeoRedXIII on
    edited October 2008
    mythtamerprog2.jpg
    progress

PROX on
    edited October 2008
    Way-cool, mang.

NightDragon on
    edited October 2008
    Thanks ND.

It's been an interesting experience trying to wrap my head around texturing. :lol::lol::lol::lol:8-)

This one character has taught me a lot about making video game assets. In texture painting specifically, there is a lot of back and forth between maya and photoshop, doing a lot of testing to see if things work out on the model.

PROX on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PROX wrote: »
    It's been an interesting experience trying to wrap my head around texturing. :lol::lol::lol::lol:8-)

>.<

Prox, I love'a this'a stuff. Almost as much as I a love'a some meat'ah balls.

Prospicience on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Your legs are wrong: right now, you've drawn them as if they angle out from the hip, and then go straight down. In fact, your hip joint is actually in line with the center line of your leg and knee.

mattharvest on
    edited October 2008
    Drawover please.

edit no wait: Her feet are spread at an angle...i dont understand your critique.

okay now i get it. Her feet are spread apart. if her knees were together, then it would line up with the pelvis.

PROX on
    edited October 2008
    beastmaster7.jpg

Hmm, I did make the upper leg too short, which i corrected in my model. I needed to indicated more foreshortening.

PROX on