As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guitar Hero: Fat bottomed girls (and guys) welcome

1555657585961»

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What!?

glithert on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What what what what

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    glithert wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Edit: On Eye of the Tiger, the Bass/guitar parts are moving at different speeds. Does this happen in 3 or Rock Band?

Nope.
    That's a nice touch, actually.

So what you are saying is that having something in your peripheral vision moving at a different rate than what you are playing to is a good thing?

What I'm saying is that having my note chart get super-ultra condensed because somebody has to play on easy is pretty annoying.
    Something isn't automatically bad just because GH does it.
    Although it usually is

I dunno. I just have major problems when I'm presented with two different rhythms. I can understand it, though, and it seems to be a nice touch, but hopefully it is an option.

.... Although hmm. Watching it again, it looks like they are adjusting the distance viewed via the "width" of the track. It seemed more extreme than this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9-C44_ypg

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    If you're joking about this I'm going to fucking kill you

glithert on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mr. G wrote: »
    UGH Led Zeppelin is on Guitar Hero

God dammit Activison, do you suck at everything gawd

Eh? Is this some super secret track that they didn't tell us about or something? Where is this coming from?

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That was a bad TOTP

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is anyone here actually getting GH:World Tour? I ask because so many people, even in this thread, seem to be hating on GH:WT simply because it's not Harmonix doing it. I understand that it's doing the "whole band" thing, and so it's competing directly with Rock Band, but that's not to say it'll necessarily be a bad game.

Anyone here getting it? And if so, is anyone planning to get the pack with instruments? Like the drumset and stuff?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Mr. G wrote: »

That was a bad TOTP

Led Zeppelin
    Was that a joke

glithert on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Is anyone here actually getting GH:World Tour? I ask because so many people, even in this thread, seem to be hating on GH:WT simply because it's not Harmonix doing it. I understand that it's doing the "whole band" thing, and so it's competing directly with Rock Band, but that's not to say it'll necessarily be a bad game.

Anyone here getting it? And if so, is anyone planning to get the pack with instruments? Like the drumset and stuff?

I plan on Gameflying it and playing it with the RB instruments to check it out. I'll make a purchasing decision later on.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Every time I've touched Guitar Hero 3, I get this really weird vibe from the game itself. I've tried giving it its due, but.. I dunno. Maybe I'm jaded.

I'm seeing things in these GH4 videos that are making that vibe go from :| to o_O (and maybe even D: in regards to the drums).

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have no plans right now to get it. I've looked at the couple charts that I was interested in from that link posted last page, and it pretty much deflated the maybes left in me.

I guess if my RB2 drums quit working out of RMA period, and it was revealed that the GHWT drums work with RB2 without being super awkward, then I might get the GHWT+Drums pack. Maybe.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I don't have a set of instruments for either game, and so I'm trying to decide whether to get the GH:WT set or the Rock Band 2 set.

The thing I like about GH:WT is that its drumset look like a lot more fun to use and play with. It seems to be set up more like a real drum and the cymbals seem to be better incorporated into the game/gameplay ( rather than what seems to be an afterthought with the "add-on cymbals" in Rock Band 2.)

Also, the Create a Track thing sounds enticing in that it will open the door to additional, free content, rather than just paid-for DLC.

Otherwise, the games seem pretty similar on a basic level, and I'm actually a fan of really difficult and convoluted note charts.

So maybe I'm leaning toward GH:WT, and so I'm trying to decide, especially with everyone poo-pooing Guitar Hero, but there doesn't seem to be much basis for it besides "it's Activision/Neversoft and not Harmonix doing it!" and "The art direction looks retarded!" neither complaints of which I care about.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I'm seeing things in these GH4 videos that are making that vibe go from :| to o_O (and maybe even D: in regards to the drums).

I must have missed it, but where are the drums videos?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    1. Note charts-look better than GH3, generally worse than RB. But not by much.
    2. Timing window-still looser, tighter than GH3. This makes me sad.
    3.Song list-Islands of crazy awesome in a sea of tepid. Bleh.

Overall it seems like RB but just a little worse. I don't see any reason to get it when I could just buy more Rb dlc if I want more songs.

glithert on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm just really curious to see how rolls down all the drums will translate to the World Tour set. They only actually have three drum heads so it just seems that they'll either make you use some "drums" twice or the cymbals will have to act as a tom.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've heard that the music creator in GHWT is going to be pretty limited in what you can do with it. There's a limit of 3 minutes or 1200 notes in user-created songs, I believe. That--plus no vocals--pretty much killed it for me, in addition to a lukewarm (in my opinion) setlist and no indication that DLC support will be anything other than lackluster.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ7ejFH6A_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0qrGMB6_yA

He's using the Rock Band drums, and says the notes "automatically change," so I can't say if this is representative of the GH drum kit.

Athenor on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm at least going to rent it and put it through it's paces with my set of RB2 instruments. If I like it enough I'll probably save up and get the game + guitar pack (didn't like the drums at PAX but the guitar and touch pad felt really good.)

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's going to be my first instrument purchase, and right now I'm leaning towards GH:WT, mostly because most of my friends will be getting or already have Rock Band and I only have a Wii. My big worry is that said friends might not dig gameplay changes from RB to GH.

I will most likely wait to see how RB2 Wii works out to buy, or just not bother with either game.

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

drumvids

He's using the Rock Band drums, and says the notes "automatically change," so I can't say if this is representative of the GH drum kit.

I actually do like that instead of just adjusting the notes to use only four of the five tracks of the drum chart, it does just remove that useless track. Honestly it's more than I expected for support of a competitor's product.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Man, I do aree that there's a shitload of GH hate, and I would argue that a lot of it isn't really nothing more than "lol, Rock Band is better" but anyways, I'm still really debating. I'm currently having a lot of fun with RB2, as I just really started playing with the drums(despite having RB since it came out). I'm thinking I'm probably going to wait for reviews/rent it first before making up my mind.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    JC of DI wrote: »

drumvids

I actually do like that instead of just adjusting the notes to use only four of the five tracks of the drum chart, it does just remove that useless track. Honestly it's more than I expected for support of a competitor's product.

Yeah, that is a nice touch, although let's be frank -- if they didn't, people would complain. And unless RB2 similarly adjusts, it is a "feather in the cap" to GH:WT that it is "more compatible" than RB2.

That's not what worries me, though. The note chart and the graphical effects are what bug me.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Also, why do people want vocals in user-created songs? How many people out there can actually sing well enough that you'd want to hear their voices after having downloaded a user-made song? Not that many people can sing very well. And even really great singers don't always nail the pitch/tone/whatever perfectly all the time. It would probably sound pretty awful having vocals in most user-created songs, if they had chosen to implement that.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Also, why do people want vocals in user-created songs? How many people out there can actually sing well enough that you'd want to hear their voices after having downloaded a user-made song? Not that many people can sing very well.

Yeah, I don't understand that complaint either.
    In my mind, no vocals is a plus.

glithert on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hm. Maybe watching all the videos with rock legends like Ozzy and the like was a bad idea... The big chins are back. :sad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kzFx-SiXxA

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So what's up with those notes in the beginning of Santeria? It looks like you sustain the note but still play higher notes? That seems like it might be akward.'

Then again, I guess hitting notes with your pinky felt akward at first.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Also, why do people want vocals in user-created songs? How many people out there can actually sing well enough that you'd want to hear their voices after having downloaded a user-made song? Not that many people can sing very well.

Well I can see how people would want downloaded songs to allow them to play as the "full band" with the two guitars, drums, and someone singing... but these people have to realize that they're asking the fanbase community to come up with this stuff to provide vocals. Great vocalists are just not common at all and some of the best user-created songs in terms of instruments could potentially be ruined by virtue of having someone sing over the music.

And then what? Trying to play the user-created song by taking the vocals part? What if the recorded singer misses a note, but the player doesn't - you get penalized for singing better? I can certainly imagine scenarios where some players are better at hitting notes than creators of some of the songs.

You don't have that problem with instruments because it's purely mechanical.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    That chin isn't that big. The mouth looks really weird, though.

glithert on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Well I can see how people would want downloaded songs to allow them to play as the "full band" with the two guitars, drums, and someone singing... but these people have to realize that they're asking the fanbase community to come up with this stuff to provide vocals. Great vocalists are just not common at all and some of the best user-created songs in terms of instruments could potentially be ruined by virtue of having someone sing over the music.

And then what? Trying to play the user-created song by taking the vocals part? What if the recorded singer misses a note, but the player doesn't - you get penalized for singing better? I can certainly imagine scenarios where some players are better at hitting notes than creators of some of the songs.

Let's be honest.

People want the vocals so they can fully recreate songs off their CD's. Not their own content, but ripped content. After all, isn't that kind of thing why Frets on Fire and Stepmania and the like were created in the first place?

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    That chin isn't that big. The mouth looks really weird, though.

The entire band just doesn't look right in my opinion. They look like they belong in chuck cheese with the rest of the animatronics. It sucks, but you can't help but compare it to Rock Band, which even in their first game just nailed the presentation.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Overall it seems like RB but just a little worse. I don't see any reason to get it when I could just buy more Rb dlc if I want more songs.

I have to ask, since perhaps you know for sure -- how do you know what the timing window in GHWT is? You've mentioned that it's looser, but tighter than GH3, what's that based on? As in, did you read that somewhere?

Also, I'm guessing you are not a fan of the fast and ridiculous notecharts of Gh3? Some people find that a plus, find it fun. I was actually somewhat disappointed by having charts "toned down" for GH:A.

slash000 on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Well, given that Aspyr is porting Guitar Hero: Aerosmith to the PC, I've got hope that a PC port for World Tour will come as well. It's not tremendously likely, but I've got hope via the ESRB. If it comes to PC, I'll get it. I just wish I could also get Rock Band. D:

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I have to ask, since perhaps you know for sure -- how do you know what the timing window in GHWT is? You've mentioned that it's looser, but tighter than GH3, what's that based on? As in, did you read that somewhere?

Also, I'm guessing you are not a fan of the fast and ridiculous notecharts of Gh3? Some people find that a plus, find it fun. I was actually somewhat disappointed by having charts "toned down" for GH:A.

I asked someone who played it at PAX and that's how they described it. "like GH: Aerosmith".

And now, not a fan. I have no problem with them picking songs that are actually difficult, but when what I'm playing just doesn't line up with what I'm hearing it just bugs me. I know that's a silly complaint, but that's just how I feel.
    It's not a skill thing, it just bugs me.

glithert on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Let's be honest.

People want the vocals so they can fully recreate songs off their CD's. Not their own content, but ripped content. After all, isn't that kind of thing why Frets on Fire and Stepmania and the like were created in the first place?

That's probably a big part of it. Even though you have to "agree" not to rip off other peoples' songs when making a song for GH:WT, you know it's going to happen. And even if you didn't upload, people would still want to recreate their own favorite bands' songs for their local use even if they didn't bother uploading it.

Still. With Rock Band or SingStar or whatever, you have the pro singer doing the vocals, and that's after they've been balanced professionally and mastered. With something like the Music Creator in GHWT, you have amateur singers and that's it. I mean, I have some friends who can sing pretty well, but not well enough that they could carry a real, actual rock band. And that's what people who want vocals in this create-a-song are asking for. But what they would get are average amateur karaoke-level stuff, because great singers are few and far between.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    And now, not a fan. I have no problem with them picking songs that are actually difficult, but when what I'm playing just doesn't line up with what I'm hearing it just bugs me. I know that's a silly complaint, but that's just how I feel.
    It's not a skill thing, it just bugs me.

That's not a silly complaint, but I'm not sure what you're referring to. What songs don't line up or whatever?

edit: ack, I gotta go to sleep, but I"ll check out the responses in the morning.

I'm still kind of torn between RB2 and GH:WT. My big focus is the drums, that's the main draw. In fact, ignore everything else, I want to know what's going to be more fun to play, and right now, the GH:WT set looks more fun than the RB set.....

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    As far as "Vocals" go - they could have even just added the ability to put words under the notes and I think that would have been a decent middle ground. As is you're just "oohing" and "ahing" to the song which just makes you feel like you're in Sigur Ros.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm still kind of torn between RB2 and GH:WT. My big focus is the drums, that's the main draw. In fact, ignore everything else, I want to know what's going to be more fun to play, and right now, the GH:WT set looks more fun than the RB set.....

Honestly, I think you're going to have to wait until the WT drums come out, in order to make sure they are competently assembled. I think there have been issues with Rock Band 2's drums. Really, I would probably suggest to go ahead and get the WT drums just because while there isn't a lot I'm liking about the game, their drums are probably the one thing I'd really go for if I didn't already have my Rock Band set. Mainly because RO does make more durable instruments than EA does.

Though I do think the Rock Band 2 guitar is just about the best tiny plastic guitar I've ever used.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    By "not line up" I mean extra notes like the fast strumming in TDWDTG or keyboard or electronic noise in TTFAF or bass notes like in 3's and 7's or notes that aren't chords that are anyway like Cherub Rock or...

glithert on
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Omeks wrote: »

Honestly, I think you're going to have to wait until the WT drums come out, in order to make sure they are competently assembled. I think there have been issues with Rock Band 2's drums. Really, I would probably suggest to go ahead and get the WT drums just because while there isn't a lot I'm liking about the game, their drums are probably the one thing I'd really go for if I didn't already have my Rock Band set. Mainly because RO does make more durable instruments than EA does.

Though I do think the Rock Band 2 guitar is just about the best tiny plastic guitar I've ever used.

I was thinking that I'd be safe buying the WT pack and then buying the RB discs, isn't that easy enough?
    Hell I'm in Aust though so we're only getting the much delayed RB1.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    glithert on