As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guitar Hero: God damnit, Metallica

glithertglithert Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
Guitar Hero. Lots of people used to like it, not so much now. Anyway, Bashing may be fun and all, but don't do it. And don't mention that I used to do it all the time, because I won't anymore, ok? I promise.
Guitar Hero: World Tour
(the world's first COMPLETE BAND GAME)

The instruments

The Guitar
ign_guitar.jpg
New features include a larger star power button that looks like the bridge and a touch sensitive strip that can be used for a variety of purposes, including:
1. Tapping out solos (if the notes are connected with a purple rope).
2. Slap-bass style strumming.
3. Adding effects to sustains (not clear on this one).
And lastly, the neck is still detachable, but the connection is now supposedly rock solid.

The Bass

No dedicated instrument, but the Bass hasn't been totally neglected (unlike in some OTHER game...)
There is an open note now, represented by a purple line (just like the bass pedal for drums). It functions like any other note, except you just let go of every button to hit it. It can also be a HOPO.

The Mic
No picture needed really, it looks like a regular usb mic with the GH logo on it.

Vox plays a lot like RB. Talkies are present (there's even a beginner mode that makes everything a talkie) and your streak is based on phrases. The ending percentage is based on individual words, however.
You can activate star power at any time by shaking the microphone vigorously.
Also of note are freestyle sections where you can earn points for saying things to pump up the crowd.

The Drums
Guitar%20Hero%204%20-%20Drum%20Render--article_image.jpg
As you can see, it features one pedal, 3 pads, and 2 cymbals. They're velocity sensitive and feel very bouncy, from what I've heard. You can activate star power at any time by hitting both cymbals.
But wait! If it has 5 pads, and the RB drums have 4, however will they work together?!
Well, if you play WT using the RB drums it will remove one note track and adjust accordingly.
wiki wrote:
When using Rock Band's drum controller, which has one less percussion pad than the World Tour unit ("Rock Band" has four drum pads, "World Tour" has three drum pads and two cymbal pads), two of the lanes on the "World Tour" drum board will merge, reducing the note track to four drum pads and bass pedal.
My drums are broken! Whatever will I do?!

Go here.
The Music
wiki wrote:
1994 "About a Girl" (Unplugged) Nirvana
2007 "Aggro" The Enemy
1970 "American Woman" The Guess Who
1980 "Antisocial" Trust
1993 "Are You Gonna Go My Way" Lenny Kravitz
2006 "Assassin" Muse
2005 "B.Y.O.B." System of a Down
1973 "Band on the Run" Paul McCartney & Wings
1982 "Beat It" Michael Jackson
1997 "Beautiful Disaster" 311
1980 "Crazy Train" Ozzy Osbourne
1997 "Dammit" Blink-182
1993 "Demolition Man" (Live) Sting
1972 "Do It Again" Steely Dan
1984 "Escuela de Calor" Radio Futura
1997 "Everlong" Foo Fighters
1982 "Eye of the Tiger" Survivor
1994 "Feel the Pain" Dinosaur Jr.
2004 "Float On" Modest Mouse
1998 "Freak on a Leash" Korn
1977 "Go Your Own Way" Fleetwood Mac
2007 "Good God" Anouk
2008 "Hail to the Freaks" Beatsteaks
1979 "Heartbreaker" Pat Benatar
1995 "Hey Man, Nice Shot" Filter
1978 "Hollywood Nights" Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
1984 "Hot for Teacher" Van Halen
1977 "Hotel California" Eagles
1973 "Joker" "The Joker" Steve Miller Band
2008a "Kick Out the Jams" Wayne Kramer
2006 "The Kill" 30 Seconds to Mars
2005 "L'Via L'Viaquez" The Mars Volta
1987 "La Bamba" Los Lobos
2007 "Lazy Eye" Silversun Pickups
1986 "Livin' on a Prayer" Bon Jovi
1967 "Love Me Two Times" The Doors
1987 "Love Removal Machine" The Cult
1994 "Love Spreads" The Stone Roses
2007 "Misery Business" Paramore Paramore
2005 "Monsoon" Tokio Hotel
1988 "Mountain Song" Jane's Addiction
1980 "Mr. Crowley" Ozzy Osbourne
2005 "Never Too Late" The Answer
1987 "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" Beastie Boys
2006 "Nuvole E Lenzuola" Negramaro
2002 "Obstacle 1" Interpol
1980 "On the Road Again" Willie Nelson
2000 "One Armed Scissor" At the Drive-In
1979 "One Way or Another" Blondie
2006 "Our Truth" Lacuna Coil
2008b "Overkill" Motörhead
2002 "Parabola" Tool
2007b "Pretty Vacant" Sex Pistols
1998 "Prisoner of Society" The Living End
1992 "Pull Me Under" Dream Theater
1967 "Purple Haze" (Live) Jimi Hendrix
1973 "Ramblin' Man" The Allman Brothers Band
2008 "Re-Education (Through Labor)" Rise Against
1984 "Rebel Yell" Billy Idol
2006 "Rooftops (A Liberation Broadcast)" Lostprophets
1996 "Santeria" Sublime
1987 "Satch Boogie" Joe Satriani
2001 "Schism" Tool
2007 "Scream Aim Fire" Bullet for My Valentine
2000 "Shiver" Coldplay
1995 "Some Might Say" Oasis
1992 "Soul Doubt" NOFX
1995 "Spiderwebs" No Doubt
2003 "Stillborn" Black Label Society
1975 "Stranglehold" Ted Nugent
1974 "Sweet Home Alabama" (Live) Lynyrd Skynyrd
2008 "Ted Nugent Guitar Duel" Ted Nugent
2001 "The Middle" Jimmy Eat World
1987 "The One I Love" R.E.M.
1967 "The Wind Cries Mary" Jimi Hendrix
1993 "Today" The Smashing Pumpkins
2007 "Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast" Airbourne
2006 "Toy Boy" Stuck in the Sound
1984 "Trapped Under Ice" Metallica
1970 "Up Around the Bend" Creedence Clearwater Revival
2006 "Vicarious" Tool
2002 "VinterNoll2" Kent
2007 "Weapon of Choice" Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
2007 "What I've Done" Linkin Park
2005 "You're Gonna Say Yeah" HushPuppies
2008 "Zakk Wylde Guitar Duel" Zakk Wylde

The Gameplay

Like Rock Band, essentially. If you really want a big ol list of all the under the hood junk that's different, read this.

Will there be DLC?

You bet your ass there will be. A list of announcements can be found here.

Wowzers, Inspector Gadget! How much is all this going to cost?

Straight from the horse's mouth:
Activision wrote:
* $190 for the full band kit on PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii.
* $180 for the full band kit on PS2.
* $100 for the guitar/game bundle on Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii.
* $90 for the guitar/game bundle on PS2.

So there you go. This thread isn't just for WT, though. Feel free to whine about how you can't beat the devil/Raining Blood or advice on how to play.

glithert on

• Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    new thread smell

w3wt, geetar hero r0cks and rock b"gay"nd sucks c0cks.
    As they would say.

EDIT: Oh wait, was that bashing?

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hang on a second. "Low" by Flo Rida appears to have been removed from the list of songs playable.

Have my prayers been answered?

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    glithert wrote: »
    Guitar Hero. Lots of people used to like it, not so much now. Anyway, Bashing may be fun and all, but don't do it. And don't mention that I used to do it all the time, because I won't anymore, ok? I promise.

Quoting this mostly for emphasis in case anyone misses it.

I give out quite a few criticisms about the game but I really do like the sound of a few of the features they've added like the open bass note, the sustained notes that act independently of other notes, and the music creator despite its limits. With release this close I'll probably rent it and then just begin hoping for GH5 to step up in other departments that I enjoy.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    UGH.

after finally seeing footage of the wii version, I'm left with the same jaded feeling of disgust that I got with GH3:wii. The game looks like absolute dog vomit shit. Like vomit that's been consumed and then shat.

I thought that the wii build being the top selling version (though I guess if you combined both HD platforms together, that probably doesn't apply) would compel activision to put a little bit of goddamned effort into the game this time. The game looks marginally better, except for the faces. Somehow, they managed to make them look a million times worse.

Fuck. I don't want to buy this for the 360 since I already have a spare wii guitar. But damnit, I don't want to cringe every time I turn the sucker on.

/bitching

Guek on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    I dunno...I tend to look at the notes when I play.

And they look pretty good!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's $330 here in Aus. D:

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Guek wrote: »
    UGH.

after finally seeing footage of the wii version, I'm left with the same jaded feeling of disgust that I got with GH3:wii. The game looks like absolute dog vomit shit. Like vomit that's been consumed and then shat.

I thought that the wii build being the top selling version (though I guess if you combined both HD platforms together, that probably doesn't apply) would compel activision to put a little bit of goddamned effort into the game this time. The game looks marginally better, except for the faces. Somehow, they managed to make them look a million times worse.

Fuck. I don't want to buy this for the 360 since I already have a spare wii guitar. But damnit, I don't want to cringe every time I turn the sucker on.

/bitching

Why do that when you can just upport the PS2 version and save $texas

FyreWulff on
  • SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't like to complain, but how come looking at the track list I can't stop thinking i'm in a topic for Rock Band 2?

My only main motivator for GH:WT is the drum set, and maybe five songs (mainly Blink 182, which we need more of) but how come we don't see entirely different track lists for each game? Not that it's BAD. Does Activision (right company?) think that people who bought RB2 won't mind?

Sanius on
  • HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    It's $330 here in Aus. D:

I have heard 299 thrown around as a price from some retailers, but take that at face value.

Granted it's not much less - but i'll take what i can get.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Eh, I rather get Rock band now. The only price I've seen so far is $330.

Though it's not really that much better. :(

Edit: to clarify, I've only seen the $330 price tag for WT, and the Rock band bundle is officially at $250, though I haven't seen anything about it either.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm happy to get WT just because I got $200 worth of jbhifi gift vouchers for my birthday and prisoner of society fucking rocks.
    Plus the instruments are compatible with the RB disc right...
    ...right?

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, I seek some more advice from Expert players. Having just beaten Before I Forget, I find myself stuck on the second solo in Cult of Personality. My problem is the sharply angled zigzagging HOPOs that I can't seem to consistently hit at full speed. In practice I can do it due to the slower speed, but at full speed I just can't process what's happening fast enough. I'm sure it'll come with time (I once thought I'd never beat Lou on Hard) but I get the feeling my technique is wrong. Beyond continuing to practice to get my fingers moving faster, is there any technique I might want to take a look at to get through the second solo of Cult of Personality?

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sanius wrote: »
    I don't like to complain, but how come looking at the track list I can't stop thinking i'm in a topic for Rock Band 2?

My only main motivator for GH:WT is the drum set, and maybe five songs (mainly Blink 182, which we need more of) but how come we don't see entirely different track lists for each game? Not that it's BAD. Does Activision (right company?) think that people who bought RB2 won't mind?

Well, one reason is that neither company knows what tracks the other one is picking. While MTV/Harmonix released their list first, both games had their song list locked down long before that. It's not like ActiRedNeverOctaneSoftVision looked at Rock Band 2 and said "Oh, Dinosaur Jr., we gotta have that too". And some songs are just a lot easier and cheaper to license than others. After you've blown your initial budget wad on AC/DC and Jimi Hendrix, that comes into play for song selection.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    David_T wrote: »
    Sanius wrote: »

Well, one reason is that neither company knows what tracks the other one is picking. While MTV/Harmonix released their list first, both games had their song list locked down long before that. It's not like ActiRedNeverOctaneSoftVision looked at Rock Band 2 and said "Oh, Dinosaur Jr., we gotta have that too". And some songs are just a lot easier and cheaper to license than others. After you've blown your initial budget wad on AC/DC and Jimi Hendrix, that comes into play for song selection.

It's probably also a factor that some of the songs are really easy to obtain licenses for. I can understand Everlong or Livin' on a Prayer being in both, but when you get to have more obscure songs like Our Truth, Feel the Pain, or Lazy Sunshine Pick'emups in both games, I'd have to think there's some reason that both games are getting these songs.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh my. The charts for BYOB and Love Spreads are almost identical to Rock Band's.

Awesome

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    New thread mark.

It is so odd that finally, after years of begging, pleading, dreaming and sucki...err...servicing of those who make these games, Tool will be a part of a full-band rhythm game....and I'm not really that excited about buying it. I will buy it, no doubt there, but I just have this feeling that the foremost thought once I'm finally singing along with Maynard will be "fucking shit, why isn't this in RB".

I guess it's the lack of faith I have for Neversoft, and the inordinate amount of faith I give Harmonix.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You know, all I'm interested in, be it GH:WT or RB2, all I care about is the drumset. I care about how much fun it is to use the drumset, and how much fun the drumset layout applies and is used in the actual gameplay.

Right now, just looking at them, the GH:WT set looks like its layout is more fun, with the more "realistic" layout and the cymbals. I'm aware that RB2 you can buy attachment cymbals, but I don't see how well the cymbals are directly worked into the gameplay, and rather seem to be optional replacements for the far left/right drum pads that you can choose to use or not... just doesn't sound as integrated into the actual gameplay as the GH:WT set with its default setup.

Plus, I like the default 5-note, 1 footpedal setup of GHWT. It's more complicated. I like that. Three drums, two cymbals, and a foot pedal? I can just imagine how much fun it'll be to dig into that.

So honestly I'd be really interested if GH:WT would come in a single pack with just the drums and game. Because $190 is a lot to ask for a single game. Whether its RB2 or GHWT. When all I want to do is learn the drums.

(I'm a sucker though and I'll porbably end up getting the $190 pack of one or the other)

slash000 on
    edited October 2008
    According to people at PAX, those cymbals had to be replaced every 15 minutes.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Slash was looking for some perspectives on GHWT vs. Rock Band, and while my sig gives away my ultimate preference, the way I got there was vastly different than just following the herd.

I got into Guitar Hero late. WAY late. Not till early this year. Before then, I just wrote the plastic instrument genre off as something that wasn't for me, like Madden. So I didn't pay any attention to the developer switch (other than to think "oh, Neversoft has done some cool stuff").

Then I played it at a party. I was hooked. My girlfriend was hooked. Neither of us expected it, but we absolutely loved jamming out on that silly-looking guitar. So she bought me GHII for the 360 as a late Christmas present, and we had an absolute blast jamming out on it.

A little over a month later I finally finished Freebird, and I was looking for more. I instantly jumped on Guitar Hero III with about as much enthusiasm as is physically possible. Keep in mind I played it literally a day after I finished Guitar Hero II.

And I didn't have nearly as much fun. The note charts seemed simultaneously less creative and more full of random garbage just to make it more difficult. Guitar Hero III felt less like playing along with awesome songs and more like playing a separate game bolted onto semi-related music. I felt like less of a rock god and more like trying to survive waves upon waves of note vomit inserted there for no reason other than to make things more difficult. (Not to mention the art style looked horrible.)

I wondered if it was just me, if I were getting burned out. After much debate and listening to posters here, I got Rock Band. And the fun was back. It wasn't as punishingly difficult, but it was still a challenge. And I felt like a Rock God again. I felt like it was actually me creating all those cool guitar licks.

I'm willing to give GHWT a chance, and the drums do look better than RB's (even if the colors are swapped around for no apparent reason other than to confound compatibility between games). But the art still sucks, the track list is a little overwhelming overall for me, and it seems like note vomit still gets priority over fun.

And Slash, the create-a-song thing has more limitations than a lack of vocals. Previews indicate it's hard to use, you're limited to 1,200 notes across all three instruments, and songs can't be over three minutes long. Given all that, even the folks at Scorehero (who are the few who would have the patience to create stuff) have lost their enthusiasm for it.

Edit: And drums are plenty fun in Rock Band. Though the kit looks better in GH, there's always the possibility that it'll become less fun with note vomit. It might be best to wait for impressions of the final game.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mr. G wrote: »
    According to people at PAX, those cymbals had to be replaced every 15 minutes.

According to the Score Hero guys who went to Neversoft, the cymbals were a lot thicker and sturdier than at PAX.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    You know, all I'm interested in, be it GH:WT or RB2, all I care about is the drumset. I care about how much fun it is to use the drumset, and how much fun the drumset layout applies and is used in the actual gameplay.

Right now, just looking at them, the GH:WT set looks like its layout is more fun, with the more "realistic" layout and the cymbals. I'm aware that RB2 you can buy attachment cymbals, but I don't see how well the cymbals are directly worked into the gameplay, and rather seem to be optional replacements for the far left/right drum pads that you can choose to use or not... just doesn't sound as integrated into the actual gameplay as the GH:WT set with its default setup.

Plus, I like the default 5-note, 1 footpedal setup of GHWT. It's more complicated. I like that. Three drums, two cymbals, and a foot pedal? I can just imagine how much fun it'll be to dig into that.

So honestly I'd be really interested if GH:WT would come in a single pack with just the drums and game. Because $190 is a lot to ask for a single game. Whether its RB2 or GHWT. When all I want to do is learn the drums.

(I'm a sucker though and I'll porbably end up getting the $190 pack of one or the other)

Well, having tried the GHWT drum set at pax, i can tell you, without a doubt, that they are miles and miles beyond the rock band set. I personally loathe the rock band drum set and cannot stand to play them for more then two or three songs in a row anymore. For me, there's very little immersion due to the drumset's layout. You feel like you're hitting colored pads, not like you're playing drums. But more importantly than that, there is virtually no bounce back, making rolls an aggravating pain to do. On top of that, they can drown out the sound of the tv with their plunking unless you have the volume up way too loud or you play so soft it's not even worth it.

the guitar hero drumset fixed every single one of these issues. the RB2 set is a bit better but not enough to compensate for what the GH set offers.

However, I will say that in terms of the notechart, I wasn't overly impressed with what GHWT had to offer. They weren't bad, just not outstanding. But keep in mind I only played three songs on hard.

Guek on
  • Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thank you Neversoft, for ruining a great song with your charts that make absolutely no sense at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYNqQvbN_uI

Homestar Gunner on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My eyes glazed over... What the hell was that?

I know the sound was bad and all, but seriously? Did any of that make sense?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thank you Neversoft, for ruining a great song with your charts that make absolutely no sense at all.

[U.RL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYNqQvbN_uI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYNqQvbN_uI[/URL]

What.. um...

What the hell is up with that venue?

That's actually something that is giving me an uneasy feeling about GH:WT. The venues just seem off, or maybe the camera angles of how they are presented do. The Times Square one is kinda cool, as is the House of Blues one, but...

Is it just me, or did Activision put a fuckton of money into licensing and the like (with the famous rockers and locales), and then neglect everything else?

Also, was that vid on Expert difficulty? Because I heard quite a few notes that -weren't- on the note charts, which surprised me. Maybe the solo touchpad thing accounts for those, who knows.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like the idea of sustaining one note and playing others over top of it, it could be an interesting mechanic. I'm thinking I'll be getting the Guitar Hero bundle and Rock Band on it's own.

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited October 2008
    Athenor wrote: »

[U.RL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYNqQvbN_uI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYNqQvbN_uI[/URL]

What.. um...

Secret venue unlocked after beating the game.
    Airship dragged through the sky by griffins.

I doubt they licensed it.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MH79 wrote: »
    I like the idea of sustaining one note and playing others over top of it, it could be an interesting mechanic. I'm thinking I'll be getting the Guitar Hero bundle and Rock Band on it's own.

All it is doing is forcing a mechanic you've been able to do since GH1. And to be frank, my mind doesn't work that way. I don't even know (to be honest) if you do that thing in real guitar playing all that often.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited October 2008
    David_T wrote: »

What.. um...

Secret venue unlocked after beating the game.
    Airship dragged through the sky by griffins.

I doubt they licensed it.

The licensing was a secondary complaint, brought about by seeing Ozzy as the frontman.

Athenor on
    edited October 2008
    So let's see

Jimi Hendrix looks awesome
    Ozzy Osbourne looks like shit
    Travis Barker looks like a GH drummer, so like shit
    Whatsherface from Paramore looks okay
    Sting looks okay
    Zakk Wylde looks like an enraged bear
    Ted Nugent looks like a total douche, so completely lifelike
    And the Tool venue looks like a scary acid nightmare

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    edited October 2008
    But Zakk Wylde is an enraged bear! Think his last name is "Wylde" for nothin'!?

slash000 on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

All it is doing is forcing a mechanic you've been able to do since GH1. And to be frank, my mind doesn't work that way. I don't even know (to be honest) if you do that thing in real guitar playing all that often.

Now that you say that I'm trying to come up with some time I've done something like that (I play guitar). Hmm.

I'm not as worked up over the whole 'note vomit' thing people mention, I really didn't have much complaints about GH3, probably cuz I've only played GH2 approx. 3 times. So yeah, I'm looking forward to WT.

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited October 2008

Man, between this and the (optional) slide notes, they sure aren't doing much to make the game less intimidating.

cloudeagle on
    edited October 2008
    Are all the tapping purple notes counted as HO/POs on other guitars?

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    edited October 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Man, between this and the (optional) slide notes, they sure aren't doing much to make the game less intimidating.

I'm openly a GH hater these days, although I go into each new game hoping for the best (short of Harmonix and Neversoft collaborating to make a game that is the best of both worlds and fully expandable). About the only thing about GH:WT that really seems cool is the prospect of open-notes for bass, something that should have always been represented in the game to begin with, for lead and bass.

Athenor on
    edited October 2008
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Are all the tapping purple notes counted as HO/POs on other guitars?

Yeah. Without the need to strum.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
    edited October 2008

Now that you say that I'm trying to come up with some time I've done something like that (I play guitar). Hmm.

I'm not as worked up over the whole 'note vomit' thing people mention, I really didn't have much complaints about GH3, probably cuz I've only played GH2 approx. 3 times. So yeah, I'm looking forward to WT.

The open note thing is for Bass guitar, and so bass guitarists would know more about its use. Me? I'll take anything that adds nuance to Bass parts, because most bass note charts, regardless of game, are unbelievably boring and easy. With maybe a small handful of exceptions.

The note vomit thing was something limited to Guitar Hero 3, and it looks like NS has largely backed off from that. Just look at GH:A. Nothing in that game came anywhere close to Cult's solo, raining blood, One, or DWDTG. The toughest thing was the bonus song version of Perry Guitar Battle, while most songs, particularly the main set list, were pretty conservative - to most people's liking.

I actually enjoy the crazy GH3 notecharts a great deal. But I can see how most people would not.

slash000 on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I like the concept of the mechanic. However, I think it's a way to make the game play multiple guitars at the same time and I sure as shit don't remember doing it like that in GH1.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited October 2008

I like the concept of the mechanic. However, I think it's a way to make the game play multiple guitars at the same time and I sure as shit don't remember doing it like that in GH1.

I'm referring to how you could hold down a lower note while you played a higher one, and in fact needed to in order to do HO/PO's right.

Athenor on
    edited October 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

The open note thing is for Bass guitar, and so bass guitarists would know more about its use. Me? I'll take anything that adds nuance to Bass parts, because most bass note charts, regardless of game, are unbelievably boring and easy. With maybe a small handful of exceptions.

The note vomit thing was something limited to Guitar Hero 3, and it looks like NS has largely backed off from that. Just look at GH:A. Nothing in that game came anywhere close to Cult's solo, raining blood, One, or DWDTG. The toughest thing was the bonus song version of Perry Guitar Battle, while most songs, particularly the main set list, were pretty conservative - to most people's liking.

I actually enjoy the crazy GH3 notecharts a great deal. But I can see how most people would not.

Bass parts easy and boring? I'm assuming you haven't played anything by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, then. :P

GH:A didn't have true note vomit because the band's arena rock doesn't really lend itself to such. Though to be fair, RB2's "Visions" could qualify as note vomit. Of course the band (composed of some Harmonix devs) probably wrote the song to be as violently difficult to play as possible, and so as music it absolutely sucks.

I can't speak for GH:A, but the lower tier GH3 songs just weren't as fun either. Since I had just mastered GH2 a day before I got GH3 I should have breezed through the first two tiers, but the chart for "Rock and Roll All Night" gave me an insane amount of trouble due to downright silly note placement. And I didn't feel like an awesome rock god when I finally beat that, just that I completed some sort of arbitrary challenge. Meanwhile RB makes me feel like more of a rock god when I'm able to finish something challenging.

I dunno, maybe GH:WT will have improved, but impressions from non-Scorehero folk seem to indicate it's about GH3 quality.

cloudeagle on
  • AmaranthAmaranth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I'm not particularly thrilled for GH:WT. Now that I've viewed the few songs I was stoked for, I'm happy enough not buying the game.

Amaranth on