As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That show about a spy who's also a normal guy and isn't named Chuck.

DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
So the premiere "My Own Worst Enemy" just finished up on NBC and it was actually pretty good. In case you don't know already, the premise is that Edward (Christian Slater) is a government operative whose cover ID is a completely separate personality named Henry, with his own life and memories. The organization he works for turns on Henry when he's not on assignment, complete with false memories to fill the gaps. But then the switch between the two personalities starts going off on its own...

Anyway if you didn't watch it I'm sure it'll be up on NBC.com to watch tomorrow just like the new episode of Heroes. There's also an ARG or something like it that you can sign up for at AJConsulting.com which is supposed to be the company that the government organization uses as a cover front - don't know much about the details of this yet but I signed up and will tell you guys if it's cool or not.

Yes, there's a duplicate thread of this in SE++, but no one watched it there, apparently.

DarkPrimus on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So its A Scanner Darkly?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It was OK, would have been much better if they had held off on the whole finding out about the alter ego thing for a good few episodes, now we have no basis in how the system is actually supposed to work to compare to how it will work once they start 'bleeding' into each other.

Odds on that neither personality is the real one! I'll take 3-1 on that that's the reveal at the end of this season!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm setting the over/under at 9.5 episodes.

Heavy promotion + clear lameness often results in fast plug pulling

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I thought this was an SNL sketch the first I saw an ad for it

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kind of reminds me of the book Fools, except that was more of a Big Brother thing than super spy.

Quoth on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I made a giant original post like 2 days ago about this when they released the episode for free somewhere :\

I reallllllly enjoyed the show and from what I could see of plot holes, could be the build up of a twist. I think theres alot more to this show then you guys are giving it credit for. If tom in the elevator can act the spy role and have a cover, why cant henry? My guess is the average joe side is the real one, and they made up the spy personality, and the experiment is getting joe shmo super spy training from zilch.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The DoctorThe Doctor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ray was pretending to be Tom to test Henry.

The Doctor on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I had really low expectations for the show, but there was actually some good writing in it, as far as conversations being entertaining, and it was well acted.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well acted, but not compelling enough to get me to come back for the next episode. I needed them to hint at the "why" and they didn't. Honestly, at the end of episode one I'm thinking, "What's wrong with spies just having 1 life?" They didn't answer why this level of complexity was necessary or even hint at it for me to come back. So it just looks like a contrived plot device.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So with the second episode, the home movies are still vague enough to allow for either personality to be "the real deal", despite what Henry is told.

I'm curious as to just how many agents they have operating under this dual-life thing.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I got an email from AJ Sun, but I can't get the website it links to to load...
    TO: ALL NEW AJ SUN EMPLOYEES

Congratulations! Your application has been reviewed and you have been hired to work for AJ Sun on a trial basis. To access the employee handbook, click the link below:

http://www.ajsunconsulting.com/handbook.shtml

Please review this handbook in detail prior to your starting date, especially Page 3 regarding your specific clearance levels. These regulations and restrictions must be followed at all times.

Your 90-day trial period is set out to test your abilities in the field, evaluate your communication skills with clients, and determine how well you work with our seasoned consultants. The 90-day trial period can be cut short if:

1. Your performance is stellar and you are asked to become a full-time employee with extended clearance levels sooner than expected. OR
    2. Your performance is found to be lacking; in which case your employment will be terminated immediately and you will be asked to leave the premises.

Otherwise, at the closure of your 90-day trial period, Human Resources will evaluate your performance and decide how to proceed.

Congratulations again and we are delighted to have you join the AJ Sun family. We will be in touch shortly with more details on your official start date and tasks.

Sincerely,
    AJ Sun Human Resources Team

You've received this letter because you are employed at AJ Sun Consulting. If you no longer want to receive these occasional mailings, click here to unsubscribe.
    ***Please allow 3 to 5 business days for your unsubscribe request to take effect.***

By using this service, you are agreeing to be bound by our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

© 2008 AJ Sun Consulting and its licensors. All rights reserved.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Finally got around to watching last week's episode on NBC.com and the story along with the Tom/Raymond B-plot (not to mention the teaser at the end I can safely say that this show is becoming better with each episode.

Honestly people, stay and watch after Heroes.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Finally got around to watching last week's episode on NBC.com and the story along with the Tom/Raymond B-plot (not to mention the teaser at the end I can safely say that this show is becoming better with each episode.

Honestly people, stay and watch after Heroes.

HE BLEW UP A MARKET WITH DRAINO AND ALUMINUM FOIL

WHAT THE FUCK WRITERS? THAT SHIT RGHT THERE IS INEXCUSABLE

Seriously. A fucking explosion. From shaking up a two liter. With foil. And a cleaning liquid. I thought "oh maybe he's making a distraction; it will go *pop* and he'll sneak up on someone." No. Wrong. Giant fireball.

Terrible.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That does work you know. Its fairly impressive to behold.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It wasn't a fireball, it was mostly smoke.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That does work you know. Its fairly impressive to behold.

I've done it multiple times as a kid. It pops rather loudly and that's about it.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    It wasn't a fireball, it was mostly smoke.

A fireball is an exaggeration but unless i'm absolutely nuts there was some fire and general destruction caused by the whole thing that sent me into a rage.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png