As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What do Alice Cooper and the Canadian Elections have in common?

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    vsove wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    For a quick example, in my riding:

Rahim Jaffer 43.13
    Linda Duncan 41.15

But you're right, why should people take a few minutes out of their night and participate in the democratic process? Obviously it can't make a difference.

oh jesus christ shut up

how old are you

19?

fuck sakes is this your first election or something?

No, I'm 23, and it's my third election.

I think people should get out and vote. You don't, fine. We live in a democracy and can have a difference of opinion! And maybe I was a little smarmy, for which I apologize.

However, no need to start tearing strips off me and becoming a belligerent asshole about it.

I THINK THERE IS EVER REASON!

HRRRAWR!

but seriously duder voter ennui is not the reason for the current political situation in this country

in fact, the reverse of that is the truth

you aren't going to change the political situation by encouraging people to vote

you can only encourage people to vote by making them actually care and believe it can make a difference that they actually want.

Pony on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    damn pony, I don't vote but I don't get all excited about it, it's ok man.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i think a lot of people tell other people they're going to vote liberal/ndp and then they secretly vote conservative - because i've only ever met 3 conservative voters (or 3 people who admit to it, anyway)

god damn it canada :<

ps anyone who didn't get out and vote for something NOT CONSERVATIVE is a doodoohead

yeah i said it. big guns.

mully on
  • SoundwaveSoundwave Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I always tell people that if you don't vote, you lose your right to bitch about stuff the government does.

Soundwave on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For a quick example, in my riding:

Rahim Jaffer 43.13
    Linda Duncan 41.15

But you're right, why should people take a few minutes out of their night and participate in the democratic process? Obviously it can't make a difference.

oh jesus christ shut up

how old are you

19?

fuck sakes is this your first election or something?

No, I'm 23, and it's my third election.

I think people should get out and vote. You don't, fine. We live in a democracy and can have a difference of opinion! And maybe I was a little smarmy, for which I apologize.

However, no need to start tearing strips off me and becoming a belligerent asshole about it.

I THINK THERE IS EVER REASON!

HRRRAWR!

but seriously duder voter ennui is not the reason for the current political situation in this country

in fact, the reverse of that is the truth

you aren't going to change the political situation by encouraging people to vote

you can only encourage people to vote by making them actually care and believe it can make a difference that they actually want.

I would agree with the point on the politicians. Look what's happening in the states - they're getting a charismatic leader in Obama, and even if I don't agree with all of his policies it is nice to see someone who can actually make the voting base excited for once!

In Canada, we've got - skinny white guy, fat white guy, moustached white guy, french white guy and Elizabeth May.

It's very difficult to get excited about any of them.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited October 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    damn pony, I don't vote but I don't get all excited about it, it's ok man.

i am embittered and cynical about the democractic process

i feel poorly represented by the candidates available to me and for every election the best i can choose is the least of evils

and that just doesn't engender positive feelings in a man about the entire thing

Pony on
  • VorusVorus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    mully you should come to alberta and see what public conservative support looks like

I tried defending the NDP in my canadian politics class and pretty much got gang-banged

not even endorsing, just defending

Vorus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Soundwave wrote: »
    I always tell people that if you don't vote, you lose your right to bitch about stuff the government does.

you can go fuck yourself inside out mister

Pony on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And Obama made a pretty speech and then some singers sung over it in a music video.

Very important.

ChicoBlue on
    edited October 2008

i agree with soundwave on this one
    that whole 'one person can't make a difference' thing?
    yeah that's bs

mully on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Vorus wrote: »
    mully you should come to alberta and see what public conservative support looks like

I tried defending the NDP in my canadian politics class and pretty much got gang-banged

Truthfully, I likely would vote NDP, if there website had any meaningful information and Jack Layton didn't annoy me whenever he talked. Also, have they come up with a foreign policy yet?

Comahawk on
    edited October 2008

Really? I always had the opposite experience in university; the fact that I supported some PC policies meant I was always getting attacked and villified in class debates.

I think both sides just need to calm the fuck down and find some common ground.

But that would be undemocratic.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited October 2008

What? I'm sick of people bitching about things when they couldn't be bothered to vote. Even if you voted for whoever is doing dumb shit you can at least say "I voted for that asshole" or if you didn't you have a nice "I voted for Kodos" to fall back on.

Soundwave on
    edited October 2008
    wow i agree with your statement AND you threw a simpsons quote in there

sir we are now friends

mully on
    edited October 2008
    sculder wrote: »

sir we are now friends

Sweet.

Soundwave on
    edited October 2008

Really? I always had the opposite experience in university; the fact that I supported some PC policies meant I was always getting attacked and villified in class debates.

we (they) spent 20 minutes laughing about the NDP cartoon ads and then another 20 saying "notaleader.com notaleader.com lol"

Vorus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008

yeah that's bs

one person can make a difference

sometimes

but often not

the reality is that what you are saying is that a person's right to have any sort of opinion on the subject of how they are governed is hinged entirely upon whether, given a choice of more or less equally unappealing options at a time they didn't even want to make the choice, they made a choice at all.

if they made such a choice, regardless of what that choice is, then it suddenly makes it okay for them to bitch, but if they decided to make the mature and active decision not to support someone they actually disagree with that makes them unable to question their government?

"look, i know you don't like king george or king richard, but you have to have a king, so why don't you choose the king you think is less of an odious tyrant? i mean, after all, if you don't, then you don't have a right to opine about the fact that you don't like the king!"

mully you are smarter than this and i am extremely disappointed in you.

Pony on
    edited October 2008
    where in ontario are you from
    we are curious
    this is not the royal we, there are two of us

mully on
  • I Am Not A BearI Am Not A Bear Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

we (they) spent 20 minutes laughing about the NDP cartoon ads and then another 20 saying "notaleader.com notaleader.com lol"

Yea, welcome to going to university in Alberta. The U of Calgary is notoriously conservative leaning, but I was always under the impression that the U of Alberta was a little more to the left. I went to U of L for two years and then 2.5 years at Concordia in Montreal, so I got to experience everything under the sun.

I Am Not A Bear on
    edited October 2008

I was raked over the coals for having mentioned that I supported the Conservatives' increase in military spending.

Apparently supporting the conservatives in one policy meant that I also supported the abolition of gay marriage! One girl kept saying 'But you supported them on that, right? You can't pick and choose.'

Well no, you stupid git, that's exactly the point of voting. You will agree with some policies that a party has and disagree with others. The challenge is finding which party offers the best balance of the two!

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

sir we are now friends

man, now Pony won't want to sleep with you anymore.

NotASenator on
    edited October 2008
    We are from Kitchener(by we I mean myself, Pony, Caulk Bite and Shockwave).

Soundwave on
    edited October 2008
    basically any person telling me that i don't have a "right" to hold a viewpoint or opinion because i didn't adhere to their arbitrary process i didn't want to happen in the first place can go fuck themselves.

seriously.

fuck you.

consider how god damn self-important and pompous you fucking sound when you tell a person they aren't "allowed" to think and vocalize their thoughts about something.

all because they didn't feel like subjecting themselves to having to choose from options they didn't even like when they didn't even want to.

it's telling someone they aren't allowed to bitch about not having a choice because they chose in a way you didn't like.

get the fuck over yourselves you elitist shitheels

jesus

Pony on
    edited October 2008

yeah that's bs

one person can make a difference

sometimes

but often not

the reality is that what you are saying is that a person's right to have any sort of opinion on the subject of how they are governed is hinged entirely upon whether, given a choice of more or less equally unappealing options at a time they didn't even want to make the choice, they made a choice at all.

if they made such a choice, regardless of what that choice is, then it suddenly makes it okay for them to bitch, but if they decided to make the mature and active decision not to support someone they actually disagree with that makes them unable to question their government?

"look, i know you don't like king george or king richard, but you have to have a king, so why don't you choose the king you think is less of an odious tyrant? i mean, after all, if you don't, then you don't have a right to opine about the fact that you don't like the king!"

mully you are smarter than this and i am extremely disappointed in you.

so basically you're saying that regardless which evil we choose, we are still choosing an evil?

yes, well, we could choose the lesser of evils - we could vote for a change, if we don't like the way things are run.

is it naive to think that a difference in government might change our country for the better? perhaps, but hey, it's hope and i have it.

also, pony, you are being silly. we are not saying that at all. what we are saying is that if you didn't vote, you didn't do anything to help what you're complaining about. it's like complaining about your room being messy constantly but not doing anything to tidy it.

mully on
    edited October 2008
    One guy actually said "The NDP shouldn't lead because Jack Layton has no experience as Prime Minister"

and whoo boy he got so many nods

Vorus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Hahaha, U of A genius strikes again.

I Am Not A Bear on
    edited October 2008
    One guy actually said "The NDP shouldn't lead because Jack Layton has no experience as Prime Minister"

I just don't like Layton, to be honest, but that's the dumbest statement I've ever heard.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    basically any person telling me that i don't have a "right" to hold a viewpoint or opinion because i didn't adhere to their arbitrary process i didn't want to happen in the first place can go fuck themselves.

seriously.

fuck you.

consider how god damn self-important and pompous you fucking sound when you tell a person they aren't "allowed" to think and vocalize their thoughts about something.

all because they didn't feel like subjecting themselves to having to choose from options they didn't even like when they didn't even want to.

it's telling someone they aren't allowed to bitch about not having a choice because they chose in a way you didn't like.

jesus

Try this one on for size:

If you are complaining about something and did nothing to stop it or alter the thing you are complaining about, you are just a whiner. So have whatever fuck opinion you want, just don't whine about it.

NotASenator on
    edited October 2008
    pony how would you feel about a fat person whining because they are fat and they hate being fat, but won't go out and exercise or curb their eating habits?

mully on
    edited October 2008

ahahaha
    oh my christ that is sad

ive already said this i think but i am so surprised that NDP came in second in BC (or they have so far)

mully on
    edited October 2008

I just don't like Layton, to be honest, but that's the dumbest statement I've ever heard.

Luckily our prof is from BC so he is sympathetic to me but still

alberta is so blue it hurts

Vorus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    It's ok guys. Shoe posted a Carlin quote about not voting being ok so everything is justified.

I Am Not A Bear on
    edited October 2008
    this?

“The next time they give you all that civic ***** about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election”

well, he had his good qualities... he just uh, wanted the wrong things

you know, like for millions of people to be killed

mully on
    edited October 2008
    I have such a man-crush on Ignatieff

Vorus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008

My issue with the brand of conservatism that exists in Alberta is that I honestly question how many of the people voting Conservative every election actually have any idea what policies the Harper government supports. I vote Conservative federally (Liberal provincially, though) but that's because I actually know what I'm getting. I'd wager that about 80% of Albertans don't know what they're getting, and only vote Conservative because 'well they're Conservative'.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    where in ontario are you from
    we are curious
    this is not the royal we, there are two of us

We're in the Kitchener-Waterloo area.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited October 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »

seriously.

fuck you.

jesus

Try this one on for size:

If you are complaining about something and did nothing to stop it or alter the thing you are complaining about, you are just a whiner. So have whatever fuck opinion you want, just don't whine about it.

the god damn important difference is that some people

some, but not all

some of those people posting in this very thread, in fact

think that one or many or perhaps even all of the parties represented legitimate opportunities to affect positive political change in this country.

i do not truly believe this is the case, although that is not the reason i didn't vote and had i had the opportunity to vote, i would have

and the person i would've voted would've lost anyway and that is fine.

but saying that people who don't vote are whiners or somehow not trying to do anything about it is bullshit.

just bullshit, and it belittles people who hold views that do not stand with the political parties available in their riding.

in fact, i think a pretty low voter turn-out and a general lack of actual changing of the parliamentary make-up sent a loud message to the parties that canadians in general did not want this election and didn't feel it actually was important.

i think sometimes that is also an important message to send and if a person honestly believes that they cannot in good conscience elect any of the available officials in their riding and honestly believe that none of those people represent real chances for positive change

well, i support that choice and i think it's god damn fucking arrogant to marginalize those people as "whiners" just because you don't like the choice they made

Pony on
    edited October 2008

My issue with the brand of conservatism that exists in Alberta is that I honestly question how many of the people voting Conservative every election actually have any idea what policies the Harper government supports. I vote Conservative federally (Liberal provincially, though) but that's because I actually know what I'm getting. I'd wager that about 80% of Albertans don't know what they're getting, and only vote Conservative because 'well they're Conservative'.

They vote Conservative here because they believe what they get on the provincial level will be what they get on the federal level.

I Am Not A Bear on
    edited October 2008
    this?

“The next time they give you all that civic ***** about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election”

well, he had his good qualities... he just uh, wanted the wrong things

you know, like for millions of people to be killed

Also, wasn't Hitler defeated in the election but appointed Chancellor anyways?

I seem to recall reading this, but it's been a while and I'm a little hazy on the details.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited October 2008
    instead of not going out to vote because the person i voted for "won't win anyway" (they won't, i voted green), at least i got my voice out there. at least they'll keep trying because at least SOME people are voting for them.

mully on