As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Freakangels

numpty1979numpty1979 Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Graphic Violence
Anyone been reading this? It's a weekly free online graphic novel, if you will by Warren Ellis.

http://www.freakangels.com/

What does everyone think? I'm pretty impressed.

It's set in London in the near future where society seems to have broken down and London for whatever reason has flooded. A bunch of young people with supernatural abilities are leading a small community in Hackney......

numpty1979 on

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I enjoy it a great deal. I think the concept-- a big name doing a free weekly webcomic, which has an actual plot instead of being a three-panel thing-- is brilliant. Duffield is a really amazing artist too.

DouglasDanger on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I've been digging it since it launched. It's got some great writing and art, and the setting and characters are terribly engrossing.

The semi-recent installments that featured pirates/brigands trying to raid the Freakangels' settlement was incredibly badass.

Munch on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I actually just finished the most recent issue and then this pops up. Funny.

I'm enjoying it so far.

Quoth on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I likemost of Ellis' work, but FreakAngels is crap. I mean super decompressed, 4 panel-grid format is not the best idea for a weekly web-comic. Add static color palette, and his crappy pacing, you quickly lose my interest...

muninn on
  • numpty1979numpty1979 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Quoth wrote: »
    I actually just finished the most recent issue and then this pops up. Funny.

I'm enjoying it so far.

It was no coincidence, Quoth, I'm sat behind you.

numpty1979 on
    edited October 2008
    Damn it numpty, stop looking over my shoulder.

Seriously though, the pacing is indeed a bit slow. It hasn't bothered me, because I feel like it's setting up the world and characters, but I hope it picks up more soon. It seems like it is, so I'll keep coming back for now.

Quoth on
    edited October 2008
    muninn wrote: »
    I likemost of Ellis' work, but FreakAngels is crap. I mean super decompressed, 4 panel-grid format is not the best idea for a weekly web-comic. Add static color palette, and his crappy pacing, you quickly lose my interest...

i don't really see the decompression complaints. Things are happening. It is a very human story, with lots of dialog and stuff, but things have definitely been happening since the beginning.

I also think Freakangels is one of the few things that doesn't feel really "warren". There is the classic warren snarky asshole character, but there seems to be a good variety of characters and personalities.

DouglasDanger on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm a little meh about it so far. Nothing much seems to be happening and most of the characters kind of blend into one for me. Admittedly I read the last five chapters, which probably isn't the best way to start reading something.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm really enjoying it, and personally I don't really follow the complaints about pacing.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is awesome

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like it enough and it's free

so yeah

Sars_Boy on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's a bit slow paced. I tend to leave it alone for a couple of weeks and then catch up in chunks.

Still, very good.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Does it update in episode installments or by the page?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Five pages every friday

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like it but the art bothers me sometimes. Long horsefaces and weird noses and such.

Lux on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like it. It is a little slow, but it interests me enough to keep going back. I'm looking forward to seeing exactly what happened to cause the massive flood.

The art can be a bit odd. The facial expressions are sometimes a bit weird. But six pages a week is pretty good so I'm not bothered by it.

Desktop Hippie on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm 12 ep's into it so far. I'm digging it. I like the coloring and especially the way the architecture's drawn. I could definitely go without the anime-eyes, though. It reminds me of Castlevania or Devil May Cry art a little.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited October 2008
    fray wrote: »
    I'm a little meh about it so far. Nothing much seems to be happening and most of the characters kind of blend into one for me. Admittedly I read the last five chapters, which probably isn't the best way to start reading something.
    did you not read the part with the rival group invading? something definitely happened there

DouglasDanger on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Really, seeing Sirkka's harem manning a giant chaingun that fires crossbow bolts was pretty fucking metal.

Munch on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm enjoying it, personally.

Wildcat on
    edited October 2008
    The art reminds me of Aeon Flux and Phantom 2040 more than anything.

Quoth on