As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR]: TSM SWITCHING SERVERS TO RED EYE!

GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
Because everyone is too lazy to start a new thread, yoinking the OP from those who came before me.
Morskittar wrote: »
WARHAMMER ONLINE: AGE OF RECKONING

Penny Arcade currently has a number of guilds:

Candymancers on Order, an organization of Holy Servants of Sigmar, short drunken men and Wise, Ancient Masters of War. ON AVERHEIM
The Six Mouths on Destruction, a useless mob of ne'er-do-wells and vile miscreants. ON ULTHUAN

/who candymancers or /who the six mouths to find a member and ask to join or /chan candymancers or /chan TSM and a guild representative will be right with you!

Obsidian Spur: an EU Destruction guild on Karak Eight Peaks.

Limed for European awesomeness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKOhzfkCdbY
That should be all we need in way of introduction, at this point.

Information and Random Cool Stuff

For more information, watch the podcasts.

For PA impressions, and whatnot, check out the WAR FAQ thread.

Great webpage with Maps.

Adding this by request, and because it's generally kickass and useful.
Akira wrote: »
Alright since this seems to bring up a lot of questions I have compiled an FAQ and location guide for the first two tiers of Renown gear.

Renown Gear and You: What is it and where do I get it?

"Renown Gear" is armor and weapons you can buy from certain vendors that has both a level and Renown rank requirement, usually the Renown rank requirement is about 2/3rds of your actual level (so it would take level 9 and Renown rank 6 for example). Also, as of September 7th, some T2 Renown gear has the wrong stats (the Magus at least) and this will presumably be fixed in the future (hopefully soon). The 10/6 gear from the last preview weekend is gone, it was intended for use in an old test phase and was left in accidentally. Similar gear is available now from 11/7 to 16/11

Where to get it:

The first number refers to level requirement, the second is Renown rank requirement (i.e. 11/7 means you need level 11 and Renown rank 7). The "sets" aren't really sets and don't have bonuses or anything but they represent a loose tiering of gear. Common is "white" gear, Uncommon is "green" gear.

T1 Zones
the first "set" is sold in both the starter quest hub area and the Warcamp, while the second set is sold only at the Warcamp.

First "set"

2/1: Boots (Common)

3/2: Gloves and Accessory 1 (Common)

4/2: Belt, Accessory 2 and Weapon/Shield (Common)

5/3: Body and Accessory 3 (Common)

Second "set"

6/4: Boots (Uncommon)

7/4: Gloves and Accessory 1 (Uncommon)

8/5: Belt, Accessory 2 and Weapon/Shield (Uncommon)

9/6: Body and Accessory 3 (Uncommon)

T2 Zones
bought at the top floor of PvP area Keeps.

First "set"

11/7: Boots (Uncommon)

12/8: Gloves and Belt (Uncommon)

13/9: Shoulders and Accessory 1 (Uncommon)

14/9: Body, Accessory 2 and Weapon/Shield (Uncommon)

15/10: Accessory 3 (Uncommon)

16/11: Helm (Common)

Second "set"

16/11: Boots (Uncommon)

17/11: Gloves and Belt(Uncommon)

18/12: Shoulder and Accessory 1(Uncommon)

19/13: Helm, Accessory 2 and Weapon/Shield (Uncommon)

20/14: Body and Accessory 3 (Uncommon)

21/14: Cloak (Common)

HELPFUL ADDONS THAT ARE HELPFUL!
BuffThrottle - This improves performance in RvR, just get it. STARSA+++++WILLD/LAGAIN!

ActionBarColor - For those who think a little red number is dumb this colors the WHOLE ability icon.

Squared - Because the default team health is crappy. Plus this shows everyone's health in scenarios.

BlackBook - Revenge is a glorious thing. A must, especially for Dwarfs since it is essentially a personal grudge book.

WAAAGHBar - Super sleek and sexy bar of information to replace EXP bar. Shows renown, exp, money, friends, fps, etc. Check out the screenshot.

Tome Titan- This thing, man, in-game encyclopedia for rare mobs, tactic/cloak/title unlocks by zone. Updated frequently. Put it into WAAAGHbar!

AutoDismount - Now clicking an attack dismounts you, so smooooth.

GoblinCloset - It protects the sanctity of marriage by keeping the goblins in the closet. Made by a PAer, lets you switch outfits.

NERD STUFF

Start here for Warhammer Lore

A guide to Warhammer books
And now for something completely different...
bearded-gobbo.jpg

Glal on

• KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am getting me a blue dot on this motha.

Also I probably have about 10+ alts so far.

My roommate today tried to coax me back into playing my Ironbreaker (rank 26), but oh man, it's hard. I genuinely have fun with most of the classes.

FOR KAZ MODA...wait...

FOR KARAZ-A-KARAK...

is that right?

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Servers are going down for maintenance in a few minutes.

DarkPrimus on
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kagnaros wrote:
    is that right?

Given the dwarven nature to carry grudges (and I mean REALLY carry grudges, I'm pretty sure the King carries the great book of grudges that compiles every wrong ever done to the Dwarven race as a whole if I recall), I wouldn't be surprised if the battle cry of choice was something along the lines of:

"For (insert the approximate time and nature of the grudge in question here), I'm gonna yank yer skull off yer shoulders and use it for me piss pot ye lowly turd wipe!"

Granted the nature and phrasing of said threatened retribution will vary depending on the dwarf in question, but I'm sure you get the general idea.

As a chaos chosen, I naturally hate the dwarves especially those pesky ironbreakers, but I do have to say I certainly respect them. I mean.....they've got beer guards, how bloody awesome is that?
    "You may take our city, but ye'll never lay yer stinkin' paws on our beer!"

Operative21 on
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm in love with this game. I just went ahead and added my credit card to the billing. (When I registered my CE Retail Code, they didn't ask me for a form of payment.)

This game is much more stable than it was a month ago and several qualms of mine were fixed. I can only imagine how much more awesome it will be in another month.

Also, I want to hit T4!

aunsoph on
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, as a Witch Elf, I decided to pretty much full-spec Treachery (the WE positional attack/stealth/anti-caster tree)... I'm at level 28 and I just picked up Swift Movements, which is a tactic that reduces the cooldown on Feinted Positioning from 60 seconds down to 20. Feinted Positioning allows us to use our positional attacks without needing to actually be behind the target, and lasts 10 seconds.

Now, because of the related abilities that tie into Treachery, I replaced Slice (our main attack) with Agonizing Wound, which, when you're deep into Treachery, does as much damage as Slice and costs less AP.

The awesome part about Agonizing Wound is that if you're behind the target, it completely ignores armor - that means that does almost double damage, depending on what you're fighting.

So, in essence, with one talent point I've almost doubled my DPS - I'm completely ignoring armor over 50% of the time now, and I also get a 3-second stun and 3-second silence as well. I am a machine. I haven't been able to test it out in RvR quite yet, but I know that in PVE mobs are now dying so fast that I don't even have time to DoT or anything anymore. So awesome.

TL;DR version - Witch Elves are kickass and speccing full into Treachery makes them even more ridiculous. :D

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I wish there were more hours in the day (and days in the week) so that I could play even more.

I'm enjoying this game more than I know I should. I'm usually more of a sandbox-style MMO person myself, WoW being the one notable exception that I enjoyed for more than a fleeting moment. But I am having so much fun I can't decide on a career to stick with, and I want to see every area and PQ.

I've also taken to cruising (heh, that sounds a bit pedo) the various community Warhammer sites and I'm thrilled to see so many people whining about the most asinine things. It's building to a crescendo on some forums. As far as MMO's are concerned, this usually means that the game is doing well population wise. As long as valid complaints don't start appearing in droves (show stopping and widespread bugs or extremely flawed core design mechanics) it's just your usual bunch of puerile whiners that inevitably latch onto every MMO that comes down the pike.

Teth on
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Caedere wrote: »
    So, as a Witch Elf, I decided to pretty much full-spec Treachery (the WE positional attack/stealth/anti-caster tree)... I'm at level 28 and I just picked up Swift Movements, which is a tactic that reduces the cooldown on Feinted Positioning from 60 seconds down to 20. Feinted Positioning allows us to use our positional attacks without needing to actually be behind the target, and lasts 10 seconds.

Now, because of the related abilities that tie into Treachery, I replaced Slice (our main attack) with Agonizing Wound, which, when you're deep into Treachery, does as much damage as Slice and costs less AP.

The awesome part about Agonizing Wound is that if you're behind the target, it completely ignores armor - that means that does almost double damage, depending on what you're fighting.

So, in essence, with one talent point I've almost doubled my DPS - I'm completely ignoring armor over 50% of the time now, and I also get a 3-second stun and 3-second silence as well. I am a machine. I haven't been able to test it out in RvR quite yet, but I know that in PVE mobs are now dying so fast that I don't even have time to DoT or anything anymore. So awesome.

TL;DR version - Witch Elves are kickass and speccing full into Treachery makes them even more ridiculous. :D

I was waiting until I hit r40 to try out different specs (I'm full Carnage right now) just because I was worried that it would slow down killing monsters some to have to use positional attacks. Glad to hear that Treachery does a ton of damage though. I'm going to give that and Suffering a try, although I really do enjoy the hell out of Carnage, especially now that I have the For the Hag Queen tactic. A Ruthless Assault that lowers an enemy's armor by 75% for 6 seconds and is practically guaranteed to knock them down for 3 seconds severely screws up pretty much anybody.

Does Elixir of the Cauldron work like I think it does? i.e. All spells against you are disrupted, not your disrupt chance is increased by 100%. Because right now the only two major threats to me are tanks and bright wizards, and if I can neutralize BW's for 7 seconds then I am going to laugh and laugh as I stab them.

Jebu on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wish I could do damage.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So what is with the lack of great axes? I swear I've only encountered two during my entire run through 28 levels of black orc. The only one in the auction house is like level 5. I've specced Da Toughest, so I don't really need it, but it would be nice to kill mobs faster. I seriously can't find any in my level range.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2008

I'm 16 now and three points into Suffering -- my first stop will be the tactic that increases Kiss proc rate to 50%. But after that I might go for Treachery.

Echo on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So what is with the lack of great axes? I swear I've only encountered two during my entire run through 28 levels of black orc. The only one in the auction house is like level 5. I've specced Da Toughest, so I don't really need it, but it would be nice to kill mobs faster. I seriously can't find any in my level range.

Not even from influence rewards? They usually have weapons there

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Those are the only ones I've seen, and even then they're relatively limited.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • XzeanXzean Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So another largish patch and still not a single class balance change. I guess MJ wasn't kidding when they said they wanted more data and are determined not to do knee jerk changes.

Still, fix a goddamn wizard. A bright one, preferably.

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
    edited October 2008
    I tried to send feedback on Mythics site, but no matter what I enter in the "security code" window, it says it's the wrong code D:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jebu wrote: »

I was waiting until I hit r40 to try out different specs (I'm full Carnage right now) just because I was worried that it would slow down killing monsters some to have to use positional attacks. Glad to hear that Treachery does a ton of damage though. I'm going to give that and Suffering a try, although I really do enjoy the hell out of Carnage, especially now that I have the For the Hag Queen tactic. A Ruthless Assault that lowers an enemy's armor by 75% for 6 seconds and is practically guaranteed to knock them down for 3 seconds severely screws up pretty much anybody.

Does Elixir of the Cauldron work like I think it does? i.e. All spells against you are disrupted, not your disrupt chance is increased by 100%. Because right now the only two major threats to me are tanks and bright wizards, and if I can neutralize BW's for 7 seconds then I am going to laugh and laugh as I stab them.

I'm 26 and specced heavily into Suffering. I just got the skill which reduces incoming healing by 50% and coupled with Kiss of Death, healers beware. I'm thinking of popping over to Carnage so I can finally kill those damn Rune Priests.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
    edited October 2008
    so where are these "VN boards" that mark constantly posts on?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »

Not even from influence rewards? They usually have weapons there

Even with a great choppa you may find yourself going back to sword n shield due to the better survivability. But once you get a few more AoE attacks (Big Swing and WAAAGH! from Da Boss) you will be an AoE grinding machine. My Chosen buddies from T6M are jealous of my ability to solo grind 6-8 mobs at a time with Da Toughest and being Da Boss spec. Now with my epic questline sword n shield (which looks like my sword, woo dual wielding!) I'm even deadlier.

Edit: I believe this is the VN Boards

Tyberius on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jebu wrote: »

Only for new spells, but yes. Yes it does give you 7 seconds of spell immunity.

Old DoTs will keep ticking, but if you're good about it you can piss off a lot of BWs.

Oats on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    so where are these "VN boards" that mark constantly posts on?

http://vnboards.ign.com/warhammer_online_general/b22997/p1

Just check your brain at the door. That place is scarey.

And sorry for my lack of playtime in the last couple weeks. Planning a wedding and trying to sell one house and buy another leaves for little free time.

EDIT:
    Bring something back from the last thread:
    The game has been in development for 6 years.

WAR has not been in development for 6 years. Mythic started it like three years ago. Anything before that was Climax's game, of which Mythic retained nothing.

I would have to double check, but I believe Mythic signed the deal for the Warhammer Fantasy IP at the 2006 E3.

Selner on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i like how Endomatic was complaining about bugs mythic has that WoW fixed years ago, when people currently in WoW are losing their mounts and couldn't log in for about 20 hours

tyrannus on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    hypetech wrote:
    I know a lot of us appreciate Mythic taking steps in the right direction. However, I think a lot of people just felt like adding the XP bonus to the keep that is the same as solo killing one mob felt more like a snide response than an actual game change. However, I wasn't getting xp from keeps yesterday, and I am today, so I suppose it's better than nothing.

I get that but again, I think it is a perception or intentional misdirection (though I don't mean you) by some people that when we say we are doing things in steps rather than waiting for one big update, that these people act like we aren't doing enough or we aren't going to do more. We are going with this approach precisely because I didn't want the players to have to wait for a big patch that took care of all the things versus smaller patches that improved things bit by bit. Though when we get this type of feedback (again, don't mean you), I have to wonder if it's the best approach. I honestly thought that people would rather have improvements as quickly as we could get them out while the bigger stuff needs coding rather than just the usual developer approach of packaging things up nicely and neatly but making people wait for them while ignoring all the complaining that is going on.

Mark

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is there an ETA on the State of the Game, and patch 1.1?

Thursday or Friday for the SoG. I hope Thursday but it's been a rather busy week and I'm only on my first draft. Hopefully I'll be able to wrap it up tomorrow and then get it to our partners and get it on the Herald before the weekend. As to 1.1, I'll talk about it in the SoG but it won't be in a week, it's a wee bit too big for one of our weekly specials. :)

Mark
    JRave2002 wrote:
    Is there an ETA on the State of the Game, and patch 1.1?

Thursday or Friday for the SoG. I hope Thursday but it's been a rather busy week and I'm only on my first draft. Hopefully I'll be able to wrap it up tomorrow and then get it to our partners and get it on the Herald before the weekend. As to 1.1, I'll talk about it in the SoG but it won't be in a week, it's a wee bit too big for one of our weekly specials. :)

Mark

Less posting, more polishing those drafts.

LOL, more sleep would be better and that's where I'm headed now. And if I looked at that draft one more time tonight, I'd run screaming into the woods. I'm hoping to finish it off tomorrow after I triple check all the game stuff that I'm talking about in it with the guys. Oh, and I'll say this in advance, my SoG does not have everything that is will be in 1.1 or beyond. It's simply a snapshot of some of the cooler stuff and no, I won't be talking about a lot of individual bug fixes, that's not what a SoG is for, but rather systems and some big stuff. Just wanted to get that out way in advance. :)

Mark

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If those idiots manage to make Mythic change their patching process I will KILL them and sacrifice their pathetic souls to the Changer of Ways.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    If those idiots manage to make Mythic change their patching process I will KILL them and sacrifice their pathetic souls to the Changer of Ways.

You will sacrifice them to the Changer of Ways... to prevent them from bringing about change?

You should work a little on your prayer before you offer it up to the Raven Host.

DarkPrimus on
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Klyka wrote: »

...who is pushing for that?

Can we just take care of them now for the good of the land? Mythic's patching process is one of the strengths of this game.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Endomatic wrote:
    The crafting system is exactly how the said it wouldn't be.

None of the classes seem interesting to me and that's because a lot of them aren't FINISHED (perhaps except the IB and BW if anything). So many abilities simply do not work properly or are fucking horrible. Then again, some are simply TOO fucking good (Withering Heat, Rune etched Axe w/ Mastery and a lot of the other IB abilities).

So those are the two complaints I was able to find in your last two posts. I would have to say I vehemently disagree with both points.

First, crafting is not exactly what they said it wouldnt be. They said you wouldnt have to grind up on useless items that you vendor in order to make useful items you actually wanted. Having both an Apothecary and a Talisman Maker, I would say that is true. Every item you make is useful, especially if you start crafting at Chapter 2 when they first present you with the trainers. (Admittedly, Talisman Making was too difficult, but they corrected that when they added the salvagable items to vendors last patch)

Second, every single class I have played I found unique and interesting. I would say the majority of posters here have managed to find an interesting class to play. I dont think anyone is grinding up a class they dislike simply because the guild needs it. Nor do I think anyone has managed to find a class that is useless to groups/raids but is alot of fun to play so they have to play it solo.

I'm not sure if I'm confusing you with another poster or not, who was bitching about how Black Orcs were under powered. When obviously, that wasnt true.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thread title is stupid and counterproductive. Way to scare off potential new players.

grrarg on
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm having a tough time logging in for long periods of time lately.

I don't know if I'm just starting to feel the drag of leveling, or the myriad of Tor Anroc scenarios, or what it is. Maybe just MMO slowdown, since I've been doing MMO's since... well, the launch of Asheron's Call like a billion years ago.

The 360 has started to get their holiday launch titles, and I'm finding myself more and more in front of the 52" widescreen playing Castle Crashers, Rock Band 2, Duke Nukem 3D (oldie ftw), and then it all starts next week: Fable 2, Dead Space, Fallout 3, Guitar Hero: WT, Left 4 Dead, Prince of Persia, Call of Duty 5, Gears of War 2, Naruto: Broken Bond, Mirror's Edge... and that's just for the 360. Gonna be tough to fit in Xmas with all these new games hitting!

I'm enjoying the hell out of Open RvR, doing keeps and causing chaos, but the scenarios are just destroying my feel for the game. If I wanted to do battlegrounds all day as my sole source of PvP, I would've stuck with WoW, but the temptation of Open World RvR brought me here, and there's no going back. I just... I don't know what I want.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    grrarg wrote: »
    Thread title is stupid and counterproductive. Way to scare off potential new players.

Random internet access, go!

I agree on this, though; sarcsm doesn't carry through thread titles well.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This thread title is terrible, I didn't even realize it was the WAR chat thread until just now

Ledneh on
    edited October 2008
    How's this?

Echo on
    edited October 2008
    And I'm like, it's bettar than yourz.

Malkor on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Here is the feedback I submitted. I'm sure Mythic is all ready working on something even better, though.
    Here is an idea for creating incentive to defend keeps. Turn defending into an escalating PQ directly around the keep area with EXP and Renown bonuses. Kill 25 players. Completed, big bonus. Kill 50 players. Completed, big bonus. ect, ect. Turn the keep vendors or lord into kill collectors for side objectives like killing guild leaders, standard bearers, and siege weapons.

Make it so that at the completion of each stage of the public quest the NPCs cheer and a batch of guards spawn who rush down to the siege weapon location for the attackers. Nothing horribly game changing for the attackers but a nice little annoyance.

Accualt on
    edited October 2008
    So apparently what happens with Winds of Change is that after you give Tomas the Oozing Manuscript, a couple NPCs show up and he says "Hold them off while I escape, I can't be seen with you!" and he runs away while you're left to dispatch them. So that's why him not respawning is a problem for completing that quest.

Oh, uh... yeah, me telling you guys this means I managed to get on the servers pretty darn fast and was able to complete it before anyone else. Better luck next patch?

DarkPrimus on
    edited October 2008
    they also need to put an xp/renown bonus for scenarios on a rotation

maybe that would drag the masses away from Tor Anroc for some phat reward. :(

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2008

Indeed.

Malkor on
    edited October 2008

Yeah, they should make "join all" actually rotate the order it fills SQs in. I'm tired of nothing but Tor Anroc popping.

Echo on
    edited October 2008
    Or maybe just add a stacking debuff that reduces xp/renown by 5-10% for each consecutive game in the same SQ. Playing just for fun? Go nuts, stay for 28 games in a row!

Want to get rid of the debuff? Go do one game in some other SQ, you min-maxing wanker.

Echo on
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I hope that this is what they've cooked up. It would really spice up the game.

The other method would be to have the Scenario specific quests tied to one scenario per day. All the warmasters in all of tier whatever would have High Pass Cemetary on Day 1, Black Fire Basin on Day 2, and Tor Anroc off the queue.

The silly thing is that it's easily lore justifiable, too. The NPCs could just say it's the type of resourrce they need the most at that time.

I kind of wish they had scenarios tie into the campaign. The closer to a city sack, the more points that scenario would give for both sides. Just a thought that could make it interesting.

Toothy on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    grrarg wrote: »
    Psh, big baby.

Glal on
This discussion has been closed.