As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

High As A God Damned Kite!!

DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Social Entropy++
In the far flung land of China an idea was born. Some say it was born 2,800 years ago by two great philosophers. Some suggest it's even older.

I say it doesn't matter, because it is still awesome.

THE KITE!

I love kites and you should too. But, DrZiplock, once you grow out of being an awkward young child, kites aren't good for anything and are stupid.

No.

It is you who are stupid.

I've been flying for awhile, but got really into it when I worked at The Kite Loft in Ocean City, MD for a few summers with some of my best friends. If you ever make it down to OC, be sure to check the place out.

There are many different kinds of kites, so we'll cover the basics first.

Single line kites.

These are the kites that you had as a kid. Often they come in a variety of different shapes and are only made up of a few spars. Easy to put up, easy to take down. These are generally used as decorative kites. Some examples:

Diamond Kite:
stowaway-diamond-kite.jpg

Delta Kite:
2051208909_4be5d91598.jpg
That's a big damned delta. 60 feet from tip to tip. I've only ever flown a 20'.

Other examples of one lines are box kites and novelty kites. However you can also find giant foils on one line kites which are like parachutes.
2007-6-1-9-15-57-3266.JPG

Some people even fly things off of the line of these very stable kites:
2007-6-1-9-24-23-5358.JPG

Things like this 90' long spin sock. This thing is so much fun to launch.
2006-4-4-4-55-48-7055.jpg

There are also people who fight with one line kites. Powdered resin is added to the line and then crushed glass is added to the line. The goal is to cut the line of your opponents kites.

Don't have your music on for the video. Just...don't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fixJaV5Ja_g

Stunt Kites
You have 2 line delta stunt kites, which are great for fast turns, spins, flips and formation flying:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-qrhuyVfOs&feature=related

Four line stunt kites, which are harder to learn but more awesome than delta stunt kites. These things are all about control. If you held out your hand, I can land mine in the palm of it.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EukX0mPmVeA

Power Kites
These things are the shit. I've been powerkiting for the last 6 or so years. They come in a variety of flavors as well. There are two line foils which pull like a truck and there are four line foils which have more control. Depending on the particular style of the kite it can drag you down the beach or launch you 20+ feet into the air. We used to jump lifeguard towers on the beach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYjuFMmphJs&feature=related

Then we figured we should put a board on our feet and head out into the water. That's when we first learned to kiteboard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnoCC5-5Sbs

These guys are professionals, but most people can learn to kiteboard with about a week of instruction. I don't recommend learning on your own. Besides, the gear isn't cheap.

So what are you all doing this weekend? Going out and flying a kite!

edit: holy shit, long OP.

DrZiplock on

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kite...fights?

In the high stakes world of kite battles, only one loose cannon undercover cop man can defeat the Kite Overlord.

Rated R.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    kite fighting is pretty fucking awesome

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kite geeks talking shit to each other while kite fighting is one of the saddest/funniest things I have ever bared witness to.

Right up till it was my teams turn.

DrZiplock on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The life of the kite enthusiast is fraught with peril.

Clint Eastwood on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    go fly a kite

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited October 2008
    I wonder what kind of topical "Your mom" jokes come from a kite fight.

Ziplock, you must tell me.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited October 2008
    There's a company by that name.

They make horrible horrible products.

G.F.A.K. Often they are referred to as Go Fuck A Kustomer.

That's an added bit of kite geek knowledge for your day.

DrZiplock on
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the best kite is the funnie 5

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man I haven't flown a kite in years. I really ought to, one of these days.

Moriveth on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Duck kite is the best kite

Javen on
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    let's go fly a kite

up to the highest height

FAQ on
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    powerkiting sounds pretty rad

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
    edited October 2008
    FAQ wrote: »
    let's go fly a kite

up to the highest height
    i'm sure he didn't mean it personally, sir

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    kiteboarding looks like so much fun but I have so far been too wussy to try it

Usagi on
    edited October 2008

It is the most rad.

There's something about holding onto or being strapped into a kite and it having the ability to rip your arms off that gives you a healthy respect for the wind.

Usagi, you can totally get into it with lessons. I only hurt myself learning once.

DrZiplock on
  • Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Usagi wrote: »
    kiteboarding looks like so much fun but I have so far been too wussy to try it

Way more fun than waterboarding!

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
    edited October 2008
    DrZiplock wrote: »

It is the most rad.

There's something about holding onto or being strapped into a kite and it having the ability to rip your arms off that gives you a healthy respect for the wind.

Usagi, you can totally get into it with lessons. I only hurt myself learning once.

I windsurf so I'm pretty sure the transition wouldn't be too bad

but I've personally witnessed some pretty major crashes - and then there was that guy who smashed into the side of a building in FL :shock:

Usagi on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Little more slack
    little more rope
    little more luck
    little more hope
    gotta get this stupid kite to fly

gotta make sure it doesn't get the best of me
    'till I get it in the air some how!

Khavall on
    edited October 2008

It is the most rad.

but I've personally witnessed some pretty major crashes - and then there was that guy who smashed into the side of a building in FL :shock:

Actually, with the sailing and windsurfing you have a pretty good skillset to get started.

The guy in FL was a fucking moron. There is no way he should have 1)launched at that location 2)even been out there at all.

DrZiplock on
    edited October 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Little more slack
    little more rope
    little more luck
    little more hope

this is from that peanuts musical where charlie brown is a drug addict or something isn't it

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    edited October 2008
    Little more slack
    little more rope
    little more luck
    little more hope

this is from that peanuts musical where charlie brown is a drug addict or something isn't it

Yes it is. Wait drug addict? Not exactly...

millions of little kids
    do it every day
    they make a kit and poof it's in the sky
    leave it to me to have the one fool kite
    that likes to see a little kid cry!

Khavall on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    holy shit kite boarding looks fucking sweeeeet

Houk the Namebringer on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have a 6meter, a 12 meter, a couple of harnesses and a board under my bed just waiting for it to be windy...

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited October 2008

It is the most rad.

Actually, with the sailing and windsurfing you have a pretty good skillset to get started.

The guy in FL was a fucking moron. There is no way he should have 1)launched at that location 2)even been out there at all.

Dude was an absolute idiot.

I'm sure it'd be lots of fun, but between my friend attempting to sell us his International 14 and trying to fix the Hobies I think I have enough sailing-related hobbies. Someday I'll try it for sure, tho

Usagi on
  • GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I read The Kite Runner this summer, and it taught me one thing.

The prize for winning a kite fight is being raped in the butt.

Graves on
    edited October 2008
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I have a 6meter, a 12 meter, a couple of harnesses and a board under my bed just waiting for it to be windy...

hi5

I have my gear waiting in a closet. Waiting to not live beyond an hour from water.

DrZiplock on
    edited October 2008
    Little more slack
    little more rope
    little more luck
    little more hope

millions of little kids
    do it every day
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Sees_God:_Confessions_of_a_Teenage_Blockhead

this is what i was thinking of

just awful

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2008
    kind of related to kites, in that they both go into the sky, but I really want to ride in a hot air balloon. They offer them near me, but I think they've stopped for the year due to the weather. I don't know how much it would cost, but it'd be awesome.

Garlic Bread on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    kind of related to kites, in that they both go into the sky, but I really want to ride in a hot air balloon. They offer them near me, but I think they've stopped for the year due to the weather. I don't know how much it would cost, but it'd be awesome.

You should bring a few friends and do the team rocket theme.

Marshmallow on
    edited October 2008
    Little more slack
    little more rope
    little more luck
    little more hope

millions of little kids
    do it every day

just awful
    Yeah, that's completely different. This is a happy show.

Khavall on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2008
    Keith wrote: »

You should bring a few friends and do the team rocket theme.

looks like it's between $170 and $225 per person depending on what day/time of day you go

daaaamn

Garlic Bread on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    what the hell, it's just air in a big bag. tell them you'll bring your own fire, even.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

It is the most rad.

I'm sure it'd be lots of fun, but between my friend attempting to sell us his International 14 and trying to fix the Hobies I think I have enough sailing-related hobbies. Someday I'll try it for sure, tho

I14's a fucking expensive but look really fun (I might be mixing them up with I16's) good luck with that!

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited October 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    what the hell, it's just air in a big bag. tell them you'll bring your own fire, even.

i know

might as well get a plane ticket at those prices

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2008
    Doodmann wrote: »

It is the most rad.

I14's a fucking expensive but look really fun (I might be mixing them up with I16's) good luck with that!

Yeah, the fact that it's used makes it less expensive, but we already own three small boats and I'm having a hard time justifying another.

Usagi on
  • cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

It is the most rad.

that guy was my supervisors step-son.

and, those are some kites...!

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

It is the most rad.

heres a question, whats the weight limit on something like that?

Bucketman on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Little more slack
    little more rope
    little more luck
    little more hope

millions of little kids
    do it every day

just awful

It's actually an alright play

More for the novelty than for anything else, but I enjoyed reading it

Straightzi on
  • simosimo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    kites are the best

but i only like the diamond ones with bow tie tails, none of that fancy nonsense

though i did see a pig kite at a store on the cape that was pretty great

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Bucketman wrote: »

It is the most rad.

heres a question, whats the weight limit on something like that?

If you can get a harness to fit, you're good to go.

The kites range in sizes so if you're bigger or smaller you can figure out what size works for what wind.

I'm not really all that small of a dude and the kite can toss me around at will. The two friends that I learned with are smaller than I am and they just fly less kite.

DrZiplock on