As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Workin' for the Weekend: The Profession Thread

Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
WoW Wiki wrote:
A profession is a large trade-oriented set of skills that player characters may incrementally learn in order to gather, make, or enhance items that can be used in World of Warcraft gameplay. Professions are learned from a trainer (or sometimes from a book at higher levels), for a cost. Professions can be learned regardless of their character faction, race, or class (although there are a few class skills that are just like a profession.)

Specific trade skills within a profession allow you to do specific things — craft a specific item or add a specific enhancement. These are learned from the profession trainers, from recipes, or occasionally directly from a quest trainer. Each profession starts out with a few specific trade skills.

Through practice, a character gains skill levels within the profession and becomes more capable within that profession. Note the distinction, professional skills are capabilities within a profession, whereas professional skill level is a progression metric which is used as a prerequisite for professional skills and as a prerequisite for the ability to gather specific items within a gathering profession.

Patch 3.1 changes (Quick link to low-level mat changes):
* Alchemy

o All flasks now last 1 hour. To compensate, all flask recipes will provide 2 flasks for the same material cost.
o Blackmouth Oil and Fire Oil no longer require a vial.
o Elixir of Greater Firepower now grants spell power to all schools of magic.
o Flasks now stack to 20, and their vendor sell prices have been reduced to lower the Auction House deposits.
o Increased the health granted by the Flask of Stoneblood.
o Northrend flasks will be converted to mixtures. This includes the Flask of Stoneblood, Flask of Pure Mojo, Flask of Endless Rage, and Flask of the Frost Wyrm. Mixtures can create 2 flasks of the corresponding type. This allows players who stockpiled Northrend flasks to convert them to the new system without any loss.
o The Crazy Alchemist Potion is now correctly increased by Alchemist Stones.
o The Mercurial Stone is no longer required as a tool for alchemists. It is instead an uncommon quality bind-on-equip trinket.
o You can now sometimes find Alchemist's Caches from bosses in Ulduar. Only players with an Alchemy skill of 425 or higher can loot these secret caches.

* Blacksmithing

o Added a new recipe for the Titansteel Spellblade, an epic one-handed caster dagger, available from trainers.
o Added new recipes for epic gear, found rarely on Ulduar bosses. These recipes are unbound and can be traded.
o Most of the recipes in the 1-300 skill range of blacksmithing have received major stat updates to make them more useful.
o Added a new recipe for the Titansteel Spellblade.
o The Titanium Plating shield enchantment now reduces the duration of disarm effects by 50% as well as increasing your block value.

* Cooking

o A new recipe has been added to cooking trainers for making Black Jelly, using several Borean Man 'O War as ingredients. While it looks disgusting, it restores more health and mana than the highest level food.
o Flint and Tinder is no longer necessary for creating a campfire. You're just that resourceful!
o Grub now sells the Dig Rat Stew recipe to players who completed the quest.
o Ingredients such as Spices, Apples, and the like have been removed from most cooking recipes.
o Players no longer need to complete the Clamlette Surprise quest to gain Artisan cooking. The quest now offers the unique recipe, Clamlette Magnifique. If you already completed the quest, you can visit Dirge Quickcleave in Gadgetzan to learn this recipe (for free).
o Prospector Khazgorm, found in Bael Modan in southern Barrens, now sells the recipe for Dig Rat Stew to the Alliance.
o Several Northrend recipes were given greater skill up ranges to make it easier to reach 450 cooking skill.
o You no longer need to learn cooking from books. The trainers have finally done their reading and are able to teach you the same thing.

* Enchanting

o Added two new recipes for enchanting staves with spell power, available from Vanessa Sellers in Dalaran City.
o Greatly increased the drop rate of recipes found in pre-Lich King dungeons and raids.
o Several recipes in the 250-300 skill range have been rebalanced, and the reagent requirements have been reduced.
o Some enchants now have level restrictions. Note: the enchant is never removed from the item to which it's applied, however, players no longer receives its benefit until they reach the required level. Any enchants modified in this way have had their tooltips updated.
o The enchanting interface now correctly sorts grey recipes by skill difficulty.

* Engineering

o Added a new Reticulated Armor Webbing engineering enchant that increases the armor on plate gloves.
o Added a new Springy Arachnoweave engineering enchant that grants passive spell power in addition to turning your cloak into a parachute.
o Engineers can now obtain the schematics for Lil' Smoky and the Pet Bombling from certain creatures found in Gnomeregan. Specialized Gnomish or Goblin engineers can obtain both schematics equally. The repeatable quest that used to randomly grant these schematics has been disabled.
o Flexweave Underlay now grants passive agility in addition to its normal effect.
o Gnomish X-Ray Specs have a new model.
o Nitro Boosts now grant passive critical strike rating in addition to their speed boost.
o Nitro Boosts now make you drop PVP flags when used, as well as preventing you from picking them up while the effect is active.

* Fishing

o A new (and very rare) special mount can now be caught from Northrend fishing pools.
o New fishing dailies are now offered from Marcia Chase in Dalaran City!
o Players are no longer required to do the Nat Pagle, Angler Extreme quest to gain Artisan fishing. The quest now offers a special superior-quality fishing pole instead. If you already completed the quest, you can visit Nat Pagle in Dustwallow Marsh to receive this new fishing pole.
o The time needed to catch fish has been reduced.
o You can now fish anywhere, regardless of skill. Every catch has the potential for fishing skill gains, but you are likely to catch worthless junk in areas that are too difficult for your skill.
o You can now fish in Wintergrasp, and the fishin' is good!
o You no longer need to learn fishing from books. The trainers have finally done their reading and are able to teach you the same thing.

* Gathering Skills

o Toughness, Master of Anatomy, and Lifeblood now have level requirements equal to the level required for the corresponding skill rank: Apprentice (1), Journeyman (1), Expert (10), Artisan (25), Master (40), Grand Master (55).
o You can no longer fail when Mining, Herbing, and Skinning.

* Herbalism

o Find Herbs no longer tracks Glowcaps.
o Northrend herbs now yield more herbs on average.
o The herbalism requirement for gathering Tiger Lily has been reduced to 375.
o The time it takes to gather herbs has been reduced.

o Added a recipe to trainers for creating a level 70 superior-quality off-hand item.
o Added a recipe for creating a different level 70 superior-quality off-hand item. Scribes will find the recipe is dropped from residents of Silverbrook.
o Added around 50 new glyph recipes. These new recipes can be obtained from Books of Glyph Mastery found as world drops on Northrend monsters. Reading a Book of Glyph Mastery randomly discovers one of the newly-added recipes.
o Glyph icons have been updated so it is easy to distinguish between classes.
o Players will now learn 3 recipes the very first time they perform Northrend Inscription Research. This does not apply to players who have already discovered recipes from Northrend Inscription Research (sorry).

* Jewelcrafting

o Added a new recipe to cut black diamonds.
o Added a recipe for Shifting Twilight Opal to the daily jewelcrafting vendor.
o Added recipes for superior-quality PVP rings and necklaces to Northrend jewelcrafting trainers.

* Leatherworking

o Added a recipe for combining Borean Leather Scraps into Borean Leather. You can still use Borean Scraps from your inventory to combine them.
o Added new recipes for epic gear, found rarely on Ulduar bosses. These recipes are unbound and can be traded.
o Several lower-level items crafted by leatherworkers have received major changes to make them more appealing.
o Shadowskin Gloves and Dusky Boots no longer require Shadowcat Hide to create, but instead require an equal quantity of Shadow Silk. Shadowcat Hides can no longer be obtained from skinning.

* Mining

o Northrend deposits now despawn 1 minute after mining them. This change was made to speed up respawning when nodes were partially looted.

* Tailoring

o Added recipes for superior-quality PVP cloaks to Northrend tailoring trainers.
o The Lightweave tailoring enchant now sometimes grants a temporary spell power bonus instead of dealing direct damage to your target.
o Several lower-level items crafted by tailors have received major changes to make them more appealing.

WotLK general changes:
With the impending release of Wrath of the Lich King comes many changes to profession, including a new one:

Gathering

Herbalism: Besides becoming a very good money-maker due to Inscriptions, herbalism also receives Lifeblood (a free, instant cast HoT)
Mining: Toughness - a minor HP boost (300 at 375, 500 at 450)
Skinning: Master of Anatomy - a minor critical strike rating boost (15 at 375, 25 at 450)

Production

Alchemy: Good News, Bad News deal for this one. Good news is that you get Arena-usable pots and Mixology, a passive perk that increases the power and duration of Elixirs and Flasks substantially. Bad news is that your profits magins will be hurting due to the new '1 potion per fight' mechanic.
Blacksmithing: You get to make gem meta-sockets for your gloves and bracers and BoE belt sockets for everyone else.
Engineering: Blizzard has moved away from having most of your toys take up a equipment slot; now they just take up an enchant slot (which includes your belt.) You can also craft your goggles at an early level then you could in BC. Finally, a portable mailbox, a Swiss Army Knife, X-ray goggles, a +81 Stamina or +63 SP trinket, and a goddamn BoE motorcycle rounds out the goodies list.
Leatherworking: Cheap Fur Lining enchants for your bracers and Armor Kits for your legs.
Tailoring: Besides BoP enchants for your pants and cloak and Northern Cloth Scavenging (a passive perk that increases Northrend cloth drops,) you get to make a flying carpet mount.
Jewelcrafting: Besides BoP colorless gems and socketable trinkets, you also get Gem Perfection (a passive perk that gives you a chance to cut uncommon quality Northrend gems into perfect gems with slightly better stats.) Your profession is also the first Primary one to get daily quests.

Services

Enchanting: With the help of an inscriptor, you can make Scrolls of Enchantment to put up on the AH. Also, you now get upgradeable BoP wands.

Inscription is the brand-new-to-3.0.2 profession. It doesn't focus on gear creation (though it has a number of BoP offhand items), which makes sense because Blacksmithing, Tailoring and Leatherworking pretty much have that covered. It functions instead on enhancing spells and talents. All players have access to Glyph slots, three major and three minor. You get your first major and minor at level 15, second major at 30, second minor at 50, third minor at 70 and third major at 80. To add a glyph to a slot, you must be near a Lexicon of Power; if you don't know where one is, ask a guard where the Inscription Trainer is. Inscription is functionally very similar to Enchanting and Jewelcrafting: much like enchants and gems can be replaced at any time at the cost of the loss of the original, glyphs can be replaced if you're willing to forfeit them. To create glyphs, Scribes must use ink and parchment; pigments are used to create ink, and are obtained by milling herbs in stacks of five.

In short, inscriptors can enchant your abilities and spells. For BoP crap, they can make Scrolls of Recall (an extra hearth on a separate cooldown) and Shoulder Enchants.

Secondary

Cooking: Besides eatables that allow for critter control and beast/humanoid tracking, you can now make Mage-style Feast for party-wide dining.
Fishing: Still a pain in the ass to level, unfortunately (Blizzard only boosted the skillup rate for testing in beta.) However, the Tuskarr faction has a new epic fishing pole to grind rep for. Also, Dalaran is a magical wonderland for fisherman.
First Aid: Wondering where to learn Heavy Frostweave Bandage? That book's now a BoP world drop item. :b

Now with sidecar action!

steam_sig.png
Al Baron on

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My sister in law is an Engineer, she took it and got her skill up so she could make the tanking goggles for her Paladin.

As of a couple of weeks ago, they know my intention of getting her engineering maxed in Wrath so she can make us all Motorcycles and my family and I can ride around like a Gang.

Seg on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I levelled up inscription on my mage up to 360, from sometime early this morning until just before I had to go to work. I ended up gathering a few things on an herbing alt and mailing them to myself, and even bit the bullet and bought a few stacks at reasonable prices (inflated, sure, but I was making a killing selling off my levelled inscriptions, so I figured it was a treat to myself, as I'd had quite enough roaming the world at large at that point).

My minor was the rogue "walk on water while sprinting" one, which kinda sucks, but it's better than no minor at all. Made 4, tossed 'em on the AH for an absurd price, if they haven't sold by the time I get home I'll probably just hand them out to the rogues in my guild.

I'm really impressed and perhaps even excited for the new things they're adding to each profession in the expansion. Little perks and nods to benefit the crafter, especially the 'enchants' that will likely be useful all the way through, rather than T4-T6-Twhatever gear that, while damned awesome to make early on (I'm looking at you, Tailoring in TBC) is eventually replaced and forgotten.

btw, I saw that Scribes get Shoulder enchants in the expansion. Any perks for sub Northrend Script Kiddies?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The fact that Bloodthistle was millable like a month ago in beta but is not in 3.0 caught me by surprise.

WTS [Bloodthistle]x200

forty on
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    forty wrote: »
    The fact that Bloodthistle was millable like a month ago in beta but is not in 3.0 caught me by surprise.

WTS [Bloodthistle]x200

Not entirely unexpected, since only one side has realistic access to that herb. I was surprised it was millable to begin with...

My inscription is at all of 1. My server was one of those officially shut down last night, so all I've seen of patch 3.0 is about 5 minutes worth.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, it was pretty late by the time my server was playable. My inscription is only 100, but at least I got to burn a glyph research cooldown. It's tough to decide which glyphs to make, since I'm basically making them for four characters of my own and about a dozen of my friends' characters.

forty on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I heard from some of my guildies that certain tradeskills can give you bonuses, like using herbs in herbalism as a bandage. Anyone have any info on this?

Heffling on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Heffling wrote: »
    So I heard from some of my guildies that certain tradeskills can give you bonuses, like using herbs in herbalism as a bandage. Anyone have any info on this?

The gathering professions gained bonuses with this last patch.

Herbalism gives you a HoT that you can use. I think it's 1200 health over 6 seconds or so? Not sure if it's affected by AP/SP like actual spells are (god that would be nice), but at 70 it's nothing to write home about. A little something to use while farming/grinding/levelling, I guess.

Miners get a bonus to stamina, and skinners get a bonus to crit rating.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »

The gathering professions gained bonuses with this last patch.

Herbalism gives you a HoT that you can use. I think it's 1200 health over 6 seconds or so? Not sure if it's affected by AP/SP like actual spells are (god that would be nice), but at 70 it's nothing to write home about. A little something to use while farming/grinding/levelling, I guess.

Miners get a bonus to stamina, and skinners get a bonus to crit rating.

At 375 mining I get 300 more health. Not stamina.

Seg on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    alchemists also get added effects/duration when drinking potions and flasks

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I believe the skinning bonus at 375 skill is 20 crit rating.

forty on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

Any specifics on this that I can look up? When I tried this on the beta, I didn't notice any increase in effectiveness.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »

Any specifics on this that I can look up? When I tried this on the beta, I didn't notice any increase in effectiveness.

The tooltips on the buffs won't reflect the added affects from alchemy. You'd have to look at your character's stats to see the differences. Yet another of the long running buff tooltip issues that blizzard has never been able to fix.

shadowane on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Got my tailoring up to 375 without any real trouble for wrath. I wants my flying carpet. Netherweave is more common than dirt so you couldn't exactly call it expensive.

My other profession, not so much. Enchanting is at 353 and I've rather hit a roadblock. Most people seem to resort to shouting in trade to level their skill to help reduce/negate the massive cost of mats, but that's something I'd really rather not do. I've still got 2000 more gold to get for an epic flier before wrath, and not much time to play the game to begin with.

Getting a free skillup every 10 minutes isn't a viable option when it takes me 3 and a half hours to grind dailies for gold and i've sometimes got 6 hours of play time with fishing left to build up, an alt I'd like to level, and two sets of rl friends asking me to come raiding or to play on their server.

Hopefully the new inscription mechanics will help though. Being able to get even a little bit of a return on enchanting a piece of vellum would make everything much easier.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What's the hurry to level enchanting now? In a month it won't matter much.

forty on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rods. I can promise the 375 Northrend enchanting rod is going to have the 375 Outland enchanting rod as a mat. Not sure if I'll be able to use any of the wrath enchants without the starter.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For those new nifty little things (herbalism HoT etc.) Do you need to train them, or are you just magically gifted with them as of the patch?

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    you just get them

i thought it was a druid thing at first :P

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ugh, one thing I'm starting to hate is that there is no "minor glyphs" search feature for Inscription. I've got like 209 things I can do with Inscription, and due to a mod error, my chat window wasn't working last night when I did the research thing. Do you have any idea how annoying it is to try to check every single glyph you have, one at a time, to see if it's a minor? I love the profession dearly (in part because I got in on the ground floor and have made $Texas back from it), but that seems like a pretty simple, easy thing they could've put in.

Anyone have a simple workaround? I've finally gotten Advanced Tradeskill Window working again, but sadly it doesn't include that option either.

It'd be really nice if there were an icon by the name, or even a naming convention/notation by each as to whether it was Major or Minor.

Forar on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kainy wrote: »
    For those new nifty little things (herbalism HoT etc.) Do you need to train them, or are you just magically gifted with them as of the patch?

Actually it seems to depend on the profession. My shaman, herb/alch, had max rank Lifeblood when I logged in on Tuesday, but I had to hit the alchemy trainer to get Mixology.

Septus, that may be why you didn't notice anything different. (1) You need to train Mixology. (2) Apparently it only affects flasks and elixirs that you can make. You don't have to have made the exact one you're drinking but you need the skill in your profession pane. My rogue friend had a four-hour flask of relentless assault last night.

Fortunately my shaman discovered flask of might restoration last night. :D

Edit @ Forar, yeah, I'm hoping for an addon that will learn how to sort minor from major too. Separating by class is nice but you really need an additional toggle. But on that note, how awesome is it being able to link your tradeskill when being asked fifty times what glyphs you can make for mages or whatever?

riz on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ugh, one thing I'm starting to hate is that there is no "minor glyphs" search feature for Inscription. I've got like 209 things I can do with Inscription, and due to a mod error, my chat window wasn't working last night when I did the research thing. Do you have any idea how annoying it is to try to check every single glyph you have, one at a time, to see if it's a minor? I love the profession dearly (in part because I got in on the ground floor and have made $Texas back from it), but that seems like a pretty simple, easy thing they could've put in.

Anyone have a simple workaround? I've finally gotten Advanced Tradeskill Window working again, but sadly it doesn't include that option either.

It'd be really nice if there were an icon by the name, or even a naming convention/notation by each as to whether it was Major or Minor.

I agree with this, I was checking wifes Inscriber for minors and thought that making Minors seperate would be fairly obvious. (her two minors are for hunters, increasing happiness on your pet when you use Mend Pet, and increasing the damage your pet does when using Eyes of the Beast.)

Seg on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A heads up for the old school engineers out there, the following recipes are in fairly strong demand:

Lifelike mechanical toad
    Mechanical Squirrel
    Tranquil Yeti

The high demand is due to the pet achievements. Not everyone knows about these pets so advertising in trade/getting guildies to spread the word may be a better bet then the AH.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rods. I can promise the 375 Northrend enchanting rod is going to have the 375 Outland enchanting rod as a mat. Not sure if I'll be able to use any of the wrath enchants without the starter.
    Blizzard has stated that the professions in WLK will begin from 350, not 375

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    One thing for young incsriptors to realize is that there's a levelling gap between 290 and 300. Beg, borrow, or buy (or steal) enough "ethereal ink" to get you from 290 to 300, since you can't make it yourself until 300.

Other then that, levelling up inscription is pretty easy, given sufficient herbs. ALthough, you never have quite enough. One of my guildies followed a levelling guide, and was still about 25% short on tier 3 and 4 herbs.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Makershot wrote: »

Well, whenever it is, Enchanting has followed a pretty clear progression. Unless someone with beta info cares to correct me, I feel pretty strongly that there will be a Northrend rod (or two, or more), and that you will need to have TBC's top rod at some point to craft it/them, so getting it made now doesn't hurt a lot either. Sure, it might take some time and materials, but there's nothing wrong with getting a little head start. I don't know about your realm, but enchanting materials have been pretty cheap on mine for ages. Arcane Dust is under a gold apiece, and shards have been in free fall for months, though they seem to be steadying again.

Forar on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Well, whenever it is, Enchanting has followed a pretty clear progression. Unless someone with beta info cares to correct me, I feel pretty strongly that there will be a Northrend rod (or two, or more), and that you will need to have TBC's top rod at some point to craft it/them, so getting it made now doesn't hurt a lot either. Sure, it might take some time and materials, but there's nothing wrong with getting a little head start. I don't know about your realm, but enchanting materials have been pretty cheap on mine for ages. Arcane Dust is under a gold apiece, and shards have been in free fall for months, though they seem to be steadying again.

OK, yeah. There's a runed cobalt rod that requires the eternium rod, and a titanium rod that requires a cobalt rod. But the mats to make the eternium rod have been nerfed, no more primal might required. Haven't checked what the enchanting level needed to make it is, though. So go ahead and make it now, since the price of arcane dust and planar essence should fall (once people have finished enchanting their new 3.0 raid gear).

dojango on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    dojango wrote: »

OK, yeah. There's a runed cobalt rod that requires the eternium rod, and a titanium rod that requires a cobalt rod. But the mats to make the eternium rod have been nerfed, no more primal might required. Haven't checked what the enchanting level needed to make it is, though. So go ahead and make it now, since the price of arcane dust and planar essence should fall (once people have finished enchanting their new 3.0 raid gear).
    Looks like it'll be just six dust and six GPEs, according to Wowhead. Since those are dirt-ass cheap compared to the current mats, I think I'll wait.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    One thing for young incsriptors to realize is that there's a levelling gap between 290 and 300. Beg, borrow, or buy (or steal) enough "ethereal ink" to get you from 290 to 300, since you can't make it yourself until 300.

Yeah someone clever had put Ethereal Ink on the AH for 20g each on Tuesday night. I ended up blowing extra herbs on green glyphs to get from 295 to 300 just to avoid paying him. But then I did put my own Ethereal Ink up the next morning for 10g each and they all sold.

Also, surefooted mats got reduced and it's now awesome, I forgot that patch note. Glad it's the one useful Outland enchant my druid can do. And now he's 375 without having to waste mats on redoing my own ring enchants for skillups!

riz on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah the 295 to 300 gap is hilarious and just asking to be exploited by players.

Nice to see everyone has already done so.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    There are Enchanting patterns that require 350 enchanting to learn, but I don't know whether you need the Adamantite Rod to use them, or if you need the Rod that comes after them.

I do know that on the Borean Trainer both the Runed Cobalt and Runed Eternium rods can be learned at 375.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Looks like it'll be just six dust and six GPEs, according to Wowhead. Since those are dirt-ass cheap compared to the current mats, I think I'll wait.
    Oh thank god. I really didn't want to have to blow 500 gold or whatever worth of mats on the eternium rod. And it wouldn't make any sense for the 350 skill Northrend enchants to require an Outland rod that requires 375 skill to make. Or, at least, I think the Runed Eternium Rod takes 375 skill.

Of course, it's never made any sense to me why the enchanting rods have to cost so much to create. It's not like enchanters pay any less for training than the other professions, and it's not like, say, tailors have to blow a bunch of mats every 50 or so skill levels crafting a new set of needles required to sew new bags and pants.

In rod we trust.

forty on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Regarding inscription: the levelling guide I vaguely followed noted this breakdown. I ended up trying for a good half an hour to get a 300+ script kiddy to make me some ink (I had the pigments already) and couldn't find anyone, so I blew up more low end herbs got lucky with a few skill ups, and then just had someone make me one ink. Tipped him like 20 gold or so (to be fair, whether he knew it or not, I was about to start competing with him on the AH, so it felt good to overkill a little for the minimal work) and then zoomed to HFP and ripped through the last 60 points in no time.

I'm not sure exactly how much I've made back, nor how much I would've made had I sold the herbs rather than using them, but I've been making a killing on Inscription. Probably 1.5k+, with more sitting in the mail as we speak.

Probably the biggest perk was getting in 'on the ground floor', but I imagine that levelling it down the road when the herb prices have returned to something resembling normal will be significantly easier as well.

Probably about on par with Alchemy for levelling, at least for now. You won't make a killing on most of the stuff you level with, but you're more likely to get something for it on the AH than you are with, say, Blacksmithing or Leatherworking.

Forar on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The good thing about inscription is that all glyphs will be wanted by someone at some point, and it requires the full range of herbs from 1-450 to make them. As you say, you won't get shit for anything in the 1-300 range from BS or LW etc. It might only be 5-10g, but you can sell pretty much all the glyphs you make from the entire profession range.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I really like that the herbs are bundled into 'ranges', so you can use the cheaper stuff (in terms of AH value) just easily as you can use more expensive herbs (if you fall short on the other stuff and can't be bothered buying or farming more) for a given pigment/ink. The 'rare' procs from milling were also a nice touch, and while they weren't accounted for in the later part of that guide, they really helped me get over a few humps in levelling. I managed to get to 360 (where I'll probably stay unless I get some actual requests that lead to skillups) with fewer herbs than I expected to need. Not that the guide massively overstated what was required, but it all worked out pretty well.

I'm not sure if this'll work to my advantage, but I stockpiled away what Deathknight glyphs I made, usually 2-3 apiece. I'll probably keep one of each on hand for my actual Deathknight (whether I use them immediately or not, having 'em around won't hurt) and will try to toss them up around WLK's release. On one hand, there'll be plenty of Scribes around, so getting them probably won't be that bad. On the other hand, the number of Deathknights is going to be absurd, so I'm hedging slightly on the demand far outstripping the supply, at least for the first few days.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I hadn't heard about this 290-300 gap until today, and that worries me as I don't have a ton of the Mountain Silversage, Deathweed, etc. level herbs...

Last night it turned out I didn't have enough of the Fadeleaf, Khadgar's Whisker, Goldthorn level herbs, so I ended up having to take my sole herbalist (my inscriber abandoned herbalism for inscription since I didn't want to give up the money factory that is a transmute mastery alchemist) out to Dustwallow Marsh. I wasted about an hour running around without Gatherer (I haven't had the chance to update any mods yet) competing against a few other 70s for herbs.

My inscriber is 250 now, so tonight I'm going to be hitting that wall of pain.

Some oddities I noticed leveling up inscription so far:

A couple of the scroll recipes (scroll of agility III, for sure, maybe strength III as well) create 5 scrolls at a time instead of the expected (and I assumed intended) 2.

After rank II, scrolls of strength and scrolls of agility give far fewer stat points than intellect, spirit, and stamina. Why do Scroll of Agility IV and Scroll of Strength IV give 10 Agi/Str while Scroll if Intellect IV and Scroll of Spirit IV give something like 17 or 18 Int/Spirit? It doesn't make sense since all those stats are supposed to be budgeted the same.

forty on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It's really not that big a deal.

Get to 295.

Take a stack or two of Felweed, get 10+ Nether Pigement from it.

Find a 300+ inscriptionist. Give them 10 Nether Pigment and some gold, have them make you 5 ink.

Use ink to get to 300 far more easily than dicking around with green con recipes.

Make a ton of glyphs using Outland herbs (which are much easier to collect as well, in my opinion/experience, especially if you have a druid as your gatherer) and get to 360-365ish, wherever it dies off or you can't be bothered going any higher.

Ta da, you're now set until WLK comes out next month!

Forar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So you learn recipes that use the ink before you can make the ink?

Also, Hellscream seems to be mad packed with retards and assholes, so step 3 might be difficult. We shall see!

forty on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    From the base trainers in the Azeroth cities; no. However, the Master trainer in HFP (for Alliance, at least, I'm not sure where the Horde trainer is, but I assume it's in HFP too) there are some recipes you can learn around 295 or so, which do use Ethereal ink, but you can't make Ethereal ink until 300 itself.

Forar on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    you know what i hate about insciption
    is trying to figure out the mats to give to a guildie to make me something
    i was like hey man, what herbs to make this or that
    he was like aw shit, gimme a minute i better write this down

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Or they could just link you Inscription to let you browse, or link you the Glyph itself (which says what ink it needs) and then link you the pigment, which says where it comes from.

You'll probably need 1 or 2 ink, which is made from 2 (I think always) pigment. So you'll need 2 or 4 pigment. Which comes from a variety of herbs, and are milled in groups of 5 for 1-4 pigment per shot. Moral of the story, you'll probably need 10-15 or so of a given herb, whichever is cheapest in that range.

Now, someone correct me if I'm wrong; you can be ANY level of Inscription to mill ANY herb, correct?

Welcome to the new Enchanting Alt. Inscription Alts? Don't want to jump through hoops? Everyone should go make a level 5 ANYTHING, make them a Scribe, and then just keep a stash of milled pigments on hand. It's like Enchanting, but with plant parts.

Forar on
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RE: The 295 gap. I got lucky/blessed and got it from 8 green skillups myself. I didn't have time to do the Outland part yet (my scribe sits at 300). Having said that... I must've missed the memo that we can make Darkmoon cards now.

Right now it looks like the money is in selling the herbs to people that didn't stock up (insert "Ant & Grasshopper" joke here) and in the minor glyphs. At least on my server, people really are paying 100-200 gold for them. Both are going to trail off quickly, IMO.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters