As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

monthly.. or so sketchdump (somewhat nsfw)

mickemicke Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Artist's Corner
Hi there, my first post and everything. I thought it might be time for me to show a few things I've drawn. Most of my friends don't draw at all and are all very impressed, while it's nice to be praised it isn't very helpful. So with no further due, please rip me a new one and explain how I can avoid it in the future :P
When I read my own post I used the the really slow and softly talking guy in family guy :s

fist some pencil portraits of friends and family:

dan.png

gustav.png

tina.png

and now some CG also friends and family, OMG the SHOCKZORZ who could have inspired me?

maya_msn_small.png

elin_msn_small_1.png

enjoy, hopfully you like/hate them do comment.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
micke on

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    That bald man has a very small cranium.

bombardier on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I like your pencil drawings! However I think you could benefit from darker shades, it seems to me that they need more contrast.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Something bugs me about how you draw the eyes on your pencil drawings. All of your line work adheres to the way the light hits, but then the eyes are outlined uniformly dark, as if the eyes are completely different pieces. Also, the first one has a really tiny forehead, and looks like there's a tumor growing out of his brow. It sticks out nearly as far as the nose, and definitely shouldn't.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    keep your whites and treat the hair the same way you treat the face. Don't make several strands and call it hair, always makes things feel disjointed.

Some anatomy hiccups here and there, but still good stuff. Keep on practicing.

Check out these, they will help

http://www.placidchaos.com/Loomis/Andrew%20Loomis.rar

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Your pencil drawings look very good. As MagicToaster pointed out, they could use more contrast. Also, watch out for cartoony looking parts on your realistic drawings (I'm looking at the eye of the bald guy) and keep in mind things in real life really don't have outlines. Keep up the good work!

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for all the nice C&C, foremost I'd like to say that I agree to the things you say. I am -like most beginners- a little bit chicken when it comes to emphasizing the contrast. Although I think I went to town with it on the second pencil. But as I see it I need to take greater artistic freedom with the contrast to help the drawing and not stay to true to the reference. Is that true or am I just being stupid?

Bombardier: Hm, true.

MagicToaster: Thanks, true.

Bread of wonder: You are on to something about the eyes, I do need to practice eyes more - haven’t gripped their glossy surface yet. In all but the last pencil I hade chosen blurry references, so that they would lack detail and I there fore would focus more on getting the proportions and positions of said details right. (Thank you AoB). But okay it is true that even with better references like the last one I still tend to use outlines.

Kewop Decam: thank you for the really nice books and the comment about how I draw hair; it has been bugging the hell out of me.

NibCrom: Funny you should mention the cartoony problem. I been drawing mostly cartoon style things lately and when I went back to pencil portraits, my damn brain wanted to flatten and stylize the first pencils.

also I innclude the reference for the bald guy for a question:

refdan.png

that the face is unproportional to the cranium isn't that had to see, what I am wondering about is his forehead. Clearly this guy is packin' quite the... what ever the bonepiece under the brow is called. But In my pencil it look even more exaggurated, could this be becasue his face is slightly leaned to the camera and i drew it in almost exact profile? and not shading the dent between the two brows thus makin him look like a cromagnon?

Also, I'll post again as soon as I have some improvement to show, this was very instructive :) (is that the right word? I'm a swede... I live in a field.)

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tmccooltmccool Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    it looks like good fundamentals, I think the headphone pic at the end has a nicely shaded and molded face. I think work needs to be done on eyebrows, facial hair, and basically just hair in general. also, check proportions on the 2nd guy. in a head on view, the face should be about 5 eye lengths apart:

face-structure-eyes-across.jpg

i realize that his head is tilted, but the eyes still seem smaller than they should be.

this website is great, it helped me out immensely: http://www.portrait-artist.org/face/index.html

tmccool on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    push the contrasts man..push the darks and lights.
    i dropped this in ps and took like 10 min..its not great, but you can see how much the darker darks pump up the image.

dankr1.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well I felt like I should show something once in a while. So I took the chance when I watched some Earl last night. These where all done in <10 min, but I think the last one turned out "okay".

10msketches.png
    Challenge: Try and nail all three expressions, If you can... you're not good, you're hallucinating ;-)

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The face up top is... uh... wow.

Everything else you're doing looks good! I'm not a fan of the CG stuff, but your pencil work looks nice when you spend some time on it. NakedZergling is right about using greater contrast for your darks, the deeper the blacks the more dynamic range you'll have for drawing.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    hahaha, now when look at poor Joy, I start laughing. Also: thanks Rolo!

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PapaBitchesPapaBitches Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is a sketch of a character for a comic i'm starting, his name is Stitch.

stitch_ink_01.jpg

PapaBitches on
    Don't fret precious, I'm here
    Step away from the window and go
    Back to sleep
    Safe from pain, and truth, and choice
    and other poison devils
    No they don't give a fuck about you
    Like I do
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Erm ... why are you posting that in someone else's thread?

Lly on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    He has a swastica as an avatar, he's obviously an idiot.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It looks like an anti-swastica icon. So he's a peaceful idiot.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    some cg and its sketch, it's drawn from life and I think it turned out nice.

gull_sketch_and_cg.png

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For some reason, that reminds me of this pic.
    bunnyduck.jpg

It's a duck! Or is it a bunny?

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's a seagull.

Or is it Homestar Runner eating a banana?!

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Tried some lighting and strong perspective with a cartoon, any thought - how captain obvious they migh be - is apriciated.

elisa_pissed.png

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sketchy62sketchy62 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    the face looks liek a guy but it has boobs.

and how does she know where shes shooting?

sketchy62 on
  • Options
    EvilKidSteveyEvilKidStevey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Im no gun expert but wouldnt the gun have recoiled and be pointing more upwards at that point in the shot?

Im guessing the character doesnt want to be shooting whatever its shooting but is doing it anyways...is that the explanation of the looking away?

EvilKidStevey on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    EvilKidStevey is right on the looking away part, I guess the gun could use a little bit more of a recoil for dramatic effects.

And yeah, the coat covers many of the feminine lines, although I find the face kina feminine. The hair doesn’t help much to clarify the gender though.

Thanks for the comments.

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Been practicing some antantomy.. the old man came outh nicely though.

scan0029.JPG

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hijinksensuehijinksensue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Where is she looking? Is she carrying on a conversation to the right while shooting someone to the left?

I like that you tried to show the light from the blast reflecting off the figure. In the other sketch the female figure in the lower corner has a nice natural pose and good proportions. Keep it up.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    thank you Hijinks. About the face on the girl.. well tried to make it look like she is asahmed that she has to shoot what ever she is shooting, head slightly bowed down, the face a bit bitter and sad.

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    i need some help with this one, mostly the face, plz

bluebomberforever_small1.png

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Captain HeavysteinCaptain Heavystein Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Do you intend for it to look so happy?

Captain Heavystein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Long time no post. I coloured some paper and had a doodlerific time. I kind of like the outcome and the technique, so all and every comment is appreciated!

sketch4.png

sketch5.png

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hey, I'd like some CnC on this one, since I'm going to have it in my artschool aplication portfolio. Tanks on beforehand.

chair3.png

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You've got some good darks in there, but your mid tones seem off. With the paper being white, naturally, that is the brightest you can go. So only the brightest of bright spots should be the white of the page, yet you have a good portion of the chair as white (might be a bad pic, but still).

Also, try and explain the form by breaking it up into planes. For example, with the light source coming from the left as you have it, there should be clear shadows on the right half of all of the legs. Try and break up all of the shapes into light and shadow, so that it explains to the veiwer the three demensional shape of each.

Also, clean up your edges. Its hard to tell where some things start, and other things end. The candlestick and the bear start to bland into the chair a bit in some places. And the outside egde of the chair is just sloppy.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your portfolio!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The scan isn't super, but it's fare. Thanks a bunch Sublimus, that helped a lot! I'm also finding the bear to be kind of flat :s hair and fur is something i need to work on, a lot.

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    moar cnc ples

chair4.png

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Looking better!

The perspective of the legs looks a little funny. Im not sure why, but at the very least, mind you ellipses on the bottom of them. They dont look right. Having those ellipses drawn with more accuracy will help ground the chair better.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    the left leg is looking a bit sausage-ish. it's a lot thicker around the middle than the other legs
    I'm not quite sure what's going on under the wiimote. it looks like its somehow being reflected in the chair. is there any reason for that light area bordering it on the left?
    Your teddy is also looking very flat.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hello!

Well, I got in to art school, these ones plus a stileben an an interview at the shool made me pass!

1.png

2.png

3.png

And I would love to get some CnC on this one, I'm satisfied with most of it except her lips and my hand. As usual the hair could use some tuning aswell.

leftandrigthhug.png

and the refference pic:

DSC00138.JPG

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    sooo ... I know you guys are not obligated or something, but come on :(

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Here is some new stuff I've done. CnC is more than wellcome!

jnj.png

autumnhat.PNG

And the little tetrispiece is saying "Why do you hate me?"

tetrislove.png

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The reference photo in the second to last update is just horrible...really really bad. You're never gonna be able to accurately interpret the colors or values in that thing.

Your paintings are looking fairly flat. Up those values!

I know it's cliche but you need to study more anatomy so you will really understand what is going on in the human form. There are quite a few anatomical mistakes.

I like the leaf hat guy.

Keep practicing!

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    True and true, I sure will, thank you!

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]