As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's in a name? Your name, baby names, terrible names, awesome ones

15678911»

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    So, I've been thinking about changing my name for a long time. One idea that has always been good in my mind was "Turing". Since this thread is about names, I figured I'd pose the question. Thoughts?

That sounds interesting. Please tell me more.

What... do you want me to tell you?

I want you to tell me whatever you want to talk about!

Ass. I want to hear your thoughts on "Turing" as a given name.

What if you never got to hear my thoughts on" Turing" as a given name?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »

I've considered going by it, but honestly I'm not Irish enough.

This reminded me of a person that I used to work with. His name is Bryan, and that is what everyone called him. This person was also obsessed with his Irish heritage. He had tattoos of shamrocks, dressed like one of the members of Flogging Molly, etc. I eventually found another job and lost touch with everyone at that particular company for a couple of months. When I came back everyone was calling Murphy; that is except for me. Apparently he had decided that Brian wasn't Irish enough and informally changed his name.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »
    So, I've been thinking about changing my name for a long time. One idea that has always been good in my mind was "Turing". Since this thread is about names, I figured I'd pose the question. Thoughts?

That sounds interesting. Please tell me more.

What... do you want me to tell you?

I want you to tell me whatever you want to talk about!

Ass. I want to hear your thoughts on "Turing" as a given name.

What if you never got to hear my thoughts on" Turing" as a given name?

I would be sad, but I think I'd live.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »
    My bro has my dad's first name as his middle name

I think this is a good way to go

Eh. I personally dislike that at times. I'm a jr. and can say that it's either confusing, or embarassing when it wants to be.

I think you very much misread what I wrote :P

My dad: Richard Scott

My bro: Wesley Richard

Oh, hahaha. Sorry about that. I was doubling between note taking, and thread reading. I must have just misread that.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm pretty sure the only way I'm getting out of naming my first daughter Ruth is is another family member has a daughter first, as my mom would kill me if I didn't (her late mother's name was Ruth).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the only way I'm getting out of naming my first daughter Ruth is is another family member has a daughter first, as my mom would kill me if I didn't (her late mother's name was Ruth).

If you have a son, name him Rutherford and claim that you obligation is finished.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Arvind is a cool name to have until you're told what it means.

Love,
    Lotus

Killjoy on
  • Options
    TheClarksterTheClarkster Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Clark is a pretty unique name and I've always been happy with it.
    Never met another Clark anywhere I've been.

Although the Superman jokes get old pretty fast.

TheClarkster on
    Waka
    Waka

Flocka
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Russian names are awesome. Dmitri. Sergei. Ivan (pronounced the right way). Natasha.

I'm totally going to saddle my kids with something totally unpronounceable and they're going to hate me forever for it.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    Matt_SMatt_S Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's obviously not hard to figure out my name.

I'm another Matthew. Means "Gift of God," yadda yadda yadda...although, despite the frequency of the name, I don't mind it. I normally just go by "Matt" though.

My middle name is Earl, which was the name of my grandfather. Unfortunately, he died a couple months after I was born so I never really knew the man whom I was named after.

My last name is a very rare German name that gets mispronounced all the time. Most people either say it completely wrong - which happens the majority of the time (and when they mispronounce it, it's very embarrassing because they pronounce it as Stankey instead of what it actually is...which I'll leave up to you to guess) or, like many cashiers at grocery stores do, just kind of say the first syllable and then mumble the rest of it.

As far as naming my future children? I was thinking either Michael, Andrew, Jaden, or Adam. I'd like their middle name to be my father's name (David), kind of like what he did with me. Girls names I like are Ava, Abigail, Isabella, Alexandra and Dominique. Girl's middle names? Eh, I'll leave that one up to the mother.

Matt_S on
  • Options
    tree barktree bark Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name's Duy. Pronounced "Zwee", which you can attribute to the quirkiness of the Vietnamese language. I'll pretty much answer to anything that remotely resembles my name: Dewey, Doo, Dye, Dwee, Zewey. I don't mind as long as I can figure out that you're referring to me.

It's a fun name to grow up with. One time in middle school, I was playing soccer, and I got a breakaway up the sideline. My team started cheering for me, and I noticed that almost all of them were pronouncing my name in a different way. They noticed it, too. So each of them tried to adjust their own pronunciations mid-cheer, based on how the others were saying it. The result was... awkward. A really enthusiastic kind of awkward.

So as far as kids' names go, (if I ever have kids) I'd probably go for ones that are ordinary and phonetically-spelled.

tree bark on
    arachnidreactor.png
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You could always use the Sarah Palin Baby Name Generator to name your kids.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I did this years ago, but my entire name supposedly means "Protector of Prosperity". Each of my names somehow deals with warriors/royalty.

Edward (German)- Rich Guard
    Louis (French) - Famed Warrior
    Albrecht (Very common name in Germany)- Bright Nobility

I like it, because it comes off very strong and unique. And like Casual Eddy said earlier, I can turn it into Ed, Eddie(I hate when people spell it -dy) or Edward depending on the circumstances or who is talking to me.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's hard to comment as a nonnative English speaker, but it's certainly an interesting topic. Myself, my name "Sander" is extremely common in my generation in the NL (I seem to be on the tailend of the the wave of Sanders).

I come from a two families with strong traditions of naming after family. For at least 8 generations, the eldest son of the eldest son on my father's side has had the same name as his grandfather. As a result, they are really oldfashioned names right now. I'm very glad that i'm the eldest son of the middle son instead.

As per my mothers family traditions, I have a second, old testament name. As these go, Jonathan is really not to bad. (Though my brothers "Daniel" is nicer).

My niece probably has the nicest family inherited names though. "Caroline Anna" is slightly conservative, but very nice.

Worst name in the family is probably "Joke" (Yo-Ke), which is ok in dutch, but an obvious issue when communicating in English, and she does all her business in English.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like my name a lot. If someone is yelling Trevor somewhere I can be relatively certain that they're talking to me, but it's no so out of place that I get weird looks for it. The perfect balance or uniqueness without being odd. I really like my last name too, it was Lomberg when my dad's side of the family was coming over from Germany, but they were like, "Hey, that g makes it sound too German, let's just get rid of it". If I didn't have a boring bible name for a middle name I'd consider it a total win.

Trevor on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Matt_S wrote: »

My last name is a very rare German name that gets mispronounced all the time. Most people either say it completely wrong - which happens the majority of the time (and when they mispronounce it, it's very embarrassing because they pronounce it as Stankey instead of what it actually is...which I'll leave up to you to guess) or, like many cashiers at grocery stores do, just kind of say the first syllable and then mumble the rest of it.

Stanke?
    pronounced stahn-kuh? or I guess depending on if your family was more low-german stahn-kee?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I happen to like my name a lot, as you won't find many Chinese guys named Wilson out there.

Of course, it made my life hell for a few months after Castaway came out in the movies.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I know a Chinese guy named Wilson. Technically, he's a Taiwanese guy.

GungHo on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name's Robert so I go by Bo, as my Dad, Grand Dad, Etc.

But damn if everyone doesn't rhyme with it. Go, Low, Slow and on and on.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm Sara. Because I am the prettiest princess.

I really love names that begin with D for boys, though. Damien, Dimitri, Dante, Daniel, Darren...

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hakkekage wrote: »

I really love names that begin with D for boys, though. Damien, Dimitri, Dante, Daniel, Darren...
    David? :winky::winky:

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

So, what you're saying is that you really love Dick?

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My given name is Cullen.

I've always thought it's rather bland, but at least it's not common. Apparently I also have problems saying it. Nobody ever seems to get it the first time I say it. They think I said Colin or something.

Renzo on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    <-- Yeah, not so clever with thinking of a handle.

It's been Top 10 for like, 100 years, but I like it, mostly because nobody ever calls me Mike, even though I don't make a big deal out of it. I'm very much a 'Michael,' just how some Bills are William.

If we have a kid, and if it's a girl, we've deiecided to name her Evelyn after my aunt.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well I appear to be the first Ryan in the thread (though I have seen your abominations Brian and Bryan).

Can't say I've run into more than one Ryan in my life, however, not very exciting.

I believe it means "little king".

My middle name is Christopher. Which means bearer of christ.

And my last name means "peasant's town".

Little King, bearer of christ, who lives in a peasant's town.

At least that's how I like to think.

My two picks for names of children, kind of biblical:

Boy: Noah Michael
    Girl: Grace Elizabeth

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Sir Lollington the 3rdSir Lollington the 3rd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Magnus is an epic name. It sounds like someone that can crush skulls like a grape.

Sir Lollington the 3rd on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Magnus is an epic name. It sounds like someone that can crush skulls like a grape.

Lead character in Ogre Battle 64.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I really enjoyed that game.
    This guy is also named Magnus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_Samuelsson

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

So, what you're saying is that you really love Dick?

I shoulda seen this one coming

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So, I did it. I am now Turing Church _____.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, I did it. I am now Turing Church _____.
    Greetings, Turing.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magn%C3%BAs_Ver_Magn%C3%BAsson

Magnus Ver Magnusson

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have a friend named Vagner...I alwasy thought was funny. hey Vag...Sup Vag...

wanna go invade Poland with me, Vag?

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Magnus is very common in scandinavia I think, atleast I know quite a few of them and they are all cool guys.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magn%C3%BAs_Ver_Magn%C3%BAsson

Magnus Ver Magnusson

Damn, I never realized that there were two of them. It's even better knowing that.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So aside from almost naming me Seth, my parents were also thinking of calling me Law.

God dammit.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    If they had called you Law would run around saying justice is blind and claiming everyone must be smitten?

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Seth could be a pretty sweet name, I think.

Law is (l)awful.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    If they had called you Law would run around saying just is blind and claiming everyone must be smitten?

Or you could be a bad Bruce Lee lookalike.

Premier kakos on