As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dead Space

• IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Iriah wrote: »
    Do you ever just find guns (apart from the Plasma Cutter), or do you have to buy them all in the store?

Also, what are the boxes with the glowing green lights? Suitcases or something?

Iriah on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    In a game like this? Breadcrumbs.

Also I assume you are stomping them.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited October 2008
    I don't have the game. That's why I'm asking in the thread.

Iriah on
    edited October 2008
    They're the obligatory scattered ammo/health/money. Without them you'd probably run out of ammo a lot. I don't think they've tried to explain them...the game doesn't tell you to stomp them, though I haven't read the manual.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Do you ever just find guns (apart from the Plasma Cutter), or do you have to buy them all in the store?

It would be lame if you had to buy them all, I mean I could understand the reasons, but man that makes no sense that nearly a thousand dead crew members and all you can find among all of them is one plasma cutter and TONS of ammo for it and OTHER guns. I hope I end up finding other weapons and just merely have the option of also buying them.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    No but seriously folks is dismemberment really critical to the game? I thought that would add a sense of thought and strategy but everything I have seen thus far has the guy blasting away.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • 043043 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    No but seriously folks is dismemberment really critical to the game? I thought that would add a sense of thought and strategy but everything I have seen thus far has the guy blasting away.

It's very critical if you wanna survive with enough ammo to live through the next encounter.

So far, I don't think blasting away at anything has gotten me very far. You have to think, and move quickly, or you will get mauled.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    They're the obligatory scattered ammo/health/money. Without them you'd probably run out of ammo a lot. I don't think they've tried to explain them...the game doesn't tell you to stomp them, though I haven't read the manual.

not those ones. The squarish boxes with the green lights. In all the videos the player seems to ignore them.

Iriah on
  • NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm playing on hard mode and it seems like I have to expend a large amount of ammo just blowing off limbs. I know I don't miss the target areas and it is still taking 3 or 4 rounds from my plasma cutter to bring down a critter! Am I do this right?

Noneoftheabove on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

not those ones. The squarish boxes with the green lights. In all the videos the player seems to ignore them.

There's lockers and boxes and shit...most of them are locked, but ones with blue lights open and have credits or ammo in them.

Vincent Grayson on
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I can't think of what you would be talking about if not the loot cases. curbstomp them and they drop, as meatflower said, a supply of some kind.

As for the Strategic Dismemberment, I imagine carefully aiming shots would go a long, long way towards saving ammo on Hard. I'm on Medium in Chapter 6 and am having a little trouble keeping ammo stocked (not a very good shot, though).

To compare, on medium you can definitely kill a slicer with a minimum of two plasma shots, one in each arm. One line gun shot if they're in the 'arms up' stance.

Alternatively, perhaps as many as 6 torso shots with plasma or 4 line gun shots. Those numbers are an estimate though, I'll check it out momentarily.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Woodroez wrote: »

I can't think of what you would be talking about if not the loot cases. curbstomp them and they drop, as meatflower said, a supply of some kind.

Oh the glowing wall bumps. Yeah they don't seem to do anything. On closer inspection I read a "WARNING HIGH VOLTAGE" type sticker near it which leads me to believe they are some sort of power junction.

The glow is similar to the loot boxes which gave me the initial impression they contained something or were intractable. According to Chromium's spell checker, that is a word.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ah okay I probably saw it being played on some sort of silly easy or "normal" mode so the strategy went out the window.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2008
    When you have two or more enemies coming at you at once, being able to shoot their legs off is pretty key to surviving. Especially if you're low on or out of stasis.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Don't forget that if you're running low on ammo you can pick up fan blades and exploding canisters, or even their own limbs and torsos and use them as weapons.

Another reason hard mode is better is because the game has the best death scenes since resident evil 4 and you're missing out if you don't get to see many of them.

The one that surprised me most so far was
    Being decapitated by a malfunctioning door. After fighting off hordes of bad guys only to be bested by a fucking door was pretty priceless.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dangerous wrote: »
    Don't forget that if you're running low on ammo you can pick up fan blades and exploding canisters, or even their own limbs and torsos and use them as weapons.

Another reason hard mode is better is because the game has the best death scenes since resident evil 4 and you're missing out if you don't get to see many of them.

Being decapitated by a malfunctioning door. After fighting off hordes of bad guys only to be bested by a fucking door was pretty priceless.
    At the first malfunctioning door I came across I wanted to see what it would look like. The first time it just chopped off my right arm and leg, but that wasn't enough. The second time, I got chopped in fucking HALF at the waist. There were guts and spine sticking out of the upper torso. That was awesome.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dangerous wrote: »

At the first malfunctioning door I came across I wanted to see what it would look like. The first time it just chopped off my right arm and leg, but that wasn't enough. The second time, I got chopped in fucking HALF at the waist. There were guts and spine sticking out of the upper torso. That was awesome.

On Hard that happens to me ALL THE TIME. I've died upwards of 15 times, though usually it's more because I get stuck on a difficult bit with no stasis and 3 bullets left to my name.

SniperGuy on
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    In a few short hours I'll be off to trade in ME and SC4 in order to buy this game.

I'll admit it, I'm anxious.:P

Doesn't sound like I'll be disappointed
    ...I better not be disappointed.

Scotty on
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Scotty wrote: »
    In a few short hours I'll be off to trade in ME and SC4 in order to buy this game.

Still got that Force Unleashed aftertaste?

Orochi_Rockman on
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

You won't be. Unless you're the sort of person who hates fun.

MiSTieOtaku on
    edited October 2008

Still got that Force Unleashed aftertaste?

Hehehe...I actually don't mind FU, but I am a Star Wars whore mind you.:P

You won't be. Unless you're the sort of person who hates fun.

I actually LOVE fun! I find it to be very enjoyable and worth my time..so...good!

Scotty on
  • jagermeister73jagermeister73 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Really so far my only complaint about the game is a lack of a quick way to down some health meds. I mean when you're being swarmed and you have to hit the left bumper once to open the map then another to get the inventory screen, and then look for afore mentioned meds... Yeah I'm dead at this point.

jagermeister73 on
    jagermeister73.png
    edited October 2008
    Really so far my only complaint about the game is a lack of a quick way to down some health meds. I mean when you're being swarmed and you have to hit the left bumper once to open the map then another to get the inventory screen, and then look for afore mentioned meds... Yeah I'm dead at this point.

Yeah..hit X.

Seriously.

Also, is there an instant stasis pack button like that? Cause I haven't found it. And I looked.

SniperGuy on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Really looking forward to getting home in eight hours and playing this again.

One of my favourite things about fighting these necromorphs is that, when I retreat quickly, say up an elevator, they'll come out the vents in my new location after a slight pause. They're smart.

I'm going to have to go into the vents at some point, aren't I?

Oh well, they can't dodge if they're in the vents.

I hate when they dodge.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited October 2008

The X button is your med-pack button.

Seriously people, do you not even glance at the button config in the instruction manual?

Evil Multifarious on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Im kind of on the fence about this game, hows the save system work?

Prohass on
    edited October 2008
    Prohass wrote: »

There are save points around the ship. You find em, there's multiple save slots, ta da!

There's also random checkpoints so you don't always have to backtrack forever if you die.

SniperGuy on
    edited October 2008

Seriously people, do you not even glance at the button config in the instruction manual?

Nope.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
    edited October 2008
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »

There are save points around the ship. You find em, there's multiple save slots, ta da!

There's also random checkpoints so you don't always have to backtrack forever if you die.

To clarify, those checkpoints are only for when you die. if you quit the game, then load, you'll only load to the last save point.

EDIT: didn't even realize i was double-posting. my bad.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • jagermeister73jagermeister73 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Oh you mean that page and a 1/2 EA manual? Christ my third grade book reports were longer than EA's manuals. But umm yeah I'm a dumbass and will go sit in the corner now.

jagermeister73 on
    jagermeister73.png
    edited October 2008
    Woodroez wrote: »

Nope.

The one time I don't, and it takes me hours to discover that you can zoom in with the cannon on the tank thing in Mass Effect.

I told that to a guy in the local EB and his eyes widened and he cried "REALLY? Oh man that makes things SO MUCH EASIER!"

RTFM my friends.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited October 2008
    PS3 or 360..thinking in terms of lack of lag and graphic differences. (if any)

I know that there's a different DLC suit for each, but aside from that, any differences?

I initially thought I'd get the PS3 one since I just got my PS3 and I only have Resistance:FOM for it. (Get my PS3 collection going)

Scotty on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So... I couldn't resist, and am now the proud owner of this game on the 360.

I'm glad that I didn't wait.

Incidentally, has anybody answered the previously asked question regarding whether or not you actually find other weapons scattered about? I used a lot of my credits to buy the level 2 RIG and don't want to waste any on weapons if you find them elsewhere for free.

joshofalltrades on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So... I couldn't resist, and am now the proud owner of this game on the 360.

I'm glad that I didn't wait.

Incidentally, has anybody answered the previously asked question regarding whether or not you actually find other weapons scattered about? I used a lot of my credits to buy the level 2 RIG and don't want to waste any on weapons if you find them elsewhere for free.

From what I've seen you have to buy the extra weapons

Green on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Crap. Maybe I'll find more credits in the second chapter, though, so I guess I can't complain until I play for a while longer.

Besides, weapon scarcity makes things scarier.

joshofalltrades on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Crap. Maybe I'll find more credits in the second chapter, though, so I guess I can't complain until I play for a while longer.

Well...my brother's been playing for a while and he's usually always hovering around 40-50k credits. So it probably isn't a big deal buying weapons.

Dragkonias on
    edited October 2008
    Sounds good. Can't wait to get home and play this for a while longer.

joshofalltrades on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i tried to buy this from toys r us last night to take advantage of their buy 2 get the third free deal and they didn't have it!!! i was so sad :(

i guess i'll just not take advantage of that deal and instead get it from best buy

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I know that there's a different DLC suit for each, but aside from that, any differences?

I initially thought I'd get the PS3 one since I just got my PS3 and I only have Resistance:FOM for it. (Get my PS3 collection going)

I've bought and played some of both, and the only difference I've found is that the save screen is a little neater on the 360, whereas the PS3 uses the standard system-wide save interface. That's it. It's great on both machines.

The PS3 version has trophies too!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Take a look at

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/dead_space_dead_space_video_comparison.html?type=hd#

My work computer can't handle the HD version but on the SD version it looks pretty much the same to me. Can someone who can watch the HD version give an an biased opinion?

Edit: Ahh nevermind seems brynstar already did. Well here is the link anyway.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
This discussion has been closed.