As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The American Presidency: Obama does not believe in prevent defense

• AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I hope someone gets this reference.
    Do you have ruffled chips in a perimeter around your computer chair?

Oh I most certainly do.

So I get the fried chicken and watermelon.. but the Kool-Aid Man?:
    obama-bucks.jpg

But hey! She supported Alan Keyes so she can't be racist, just fucking insane!

:lol:

Kool-Aid is a beverage traditionally associated with blacks (because it's inexpensive).

I know far more white-trash people who drank nothing but Kool-Aid while younger compared to black kids.

Live and let learn I suppose.

Astraphobia on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kool-Aid is also associated with cults.

Robos A Go Go on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Gallup poll for today (16 Oct.):

ubsz-37cfke2ic0nm9vmva.gif

oldmanken on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    oldmanken wrote: »
    The Gallup poll for today (16 Oct.):
    ubsz-37cfke2ic0nm9vmva.gif

The O-man needs to step it up. I don't like being under 50%.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Noooo gallup why...gloooom and dooom....

Professor Phobos on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    kildy wrote: »
    Jesus, while powerful, I don't think I ever want to see that on TV, ever.

I do, I want pro lifers to see the face of someone that their idiocy would destroy so they can feel better about themselves.

I don't.

I'm pro life. The only reason I generally support pro choice movements is because it's none of my business.

I think that would actually make you pro-choice. Pro-choice doesn't mean you'd get an abortion, it means you support the idea that each individual gets to decide for themselves, because it's no one else's business.

I don't call myself Pro-Choice because I'd rather not align myself with a group that has said a bunch of really stupid shit. This is also the reason I generally don't say I'm Pro Life, because it would normally lump me in with the idiots on the other side.

Sheep on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I forget does Gallup release his internals?

I figured Obama was due for a downswing, I figure he'll touch if not go under McCain in a week.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    AngelHedgie wrote:
    Astraphobia wrote:
    DaMoonRulz wrote:
    quote:
    I hope someone gets this reference.

Do you have ruffled chips in a perimeter around your computer chair?

Oh I most certainly do.

So I get the fried chicken and watermelon.. but the Kool-Aid Man?:

Spoiler:

show spoiler
    hide spoiler

But hey! She supported Alan Keyes so she can't be racist, just fucking insane!

Kool-Aid is a beverage traditionally associated with blacks (because it's inexpensive).

I know far more white-trash people who drank nothing but Kool-Aid while younger compared to black kids.

Live and let learn I suppose.

Don't forget about Drink. Dave Chappelle has a good bit about it in one of his stand-ups. Black people don't have the luxury of knowing about grape juice, they can only afford grape drink. Ingredients? Sugar, water, and purple.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just got a text informing me that Obama will be speaking in Kansas City this Saturday. Well that certainly gives me something to do this weekend.

This is especially exciting because I never thought, living in Kansas, that Obama would make a stop close enough. Thank you Missouri metro areas (KC/St. Louis) for making that a swing state this year!

Nocturne on
    edited October 2008

I figured Obama was due for a downswing, I figure he'll touch if not go under McCain in a week.
    It's definitely going to tighten as we get into the homestretch here. I don't think Obama's going to dip below McCain, though. The lower edge of Obama's support (around 46% it would seem) is still above the high-water mark on McCain's (around 43%). Double digit leads aren't going to stick around going into the election, but the hard support for Obama seems to be higher than the max that McCain can pull down.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I do, I want pro lifers to see the face of someone that their idiocy would destroy so they can feel better about themselves.

I don't.

I'm pro life. The only reason I generally support pro choice movements is because it's none of my business.

I think that would actually make you pro-choice. Pro-choice doesn't mean you'd get an abortion, it means you support the idea that each individual gets to decide for themselves, because it's no one else's business.

I don't call myself Pro-Choice because I'd rather not align myself with a group that has said a bunch of really stupid shit. This is also the reason I generally don't say I'm Pro Life, because it would normally lump me in with the idiots on the other side.
    Well, the important thing is that you vote pro-choice. Not everyone has to be a hardcore advocate of every issue.

Fencingsax on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Might just be a calm before the storm situation. Remember that he still has a happy lead, and the next poll will see if the debate made a difference.

WMain00 on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Basically, if the fetus counts as a person then it's not the fetus's fault that its father is a rapist, and if the fetus doesn't count as a person then why should abortion be limited to cases of rape? The compromise of "abortion only in the case of rape/incest/whatever other extenuating circumstance" is a compromise between two different, internally consistent positions, where the compromise itself makes no logical sense.

But that's how most compromises work.

I'm not sure a woman owes that little person (if it is a person) the use of her body, though.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    OptimusZed wrote: »

It's definitely going to tighten as we get into the homestretch here. I don't think Obama's going to dip below McCain, though. The lower edge of Obama's support (around 46% it would seem) is still above the high-water mark on McCain's (around 43%). Double digit leads aren't going to stick around going into the election, but the hard support for Obama seems to be higher than the max that McCain can pull down.

I dunno after the dnc and then the RNC we saw that Obama can dip below McCain. Not to be all doom and gloom just saying polls don't always reflect what we'd like.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2008
    McCain and Palin have both said they would rather let the states have the authority to decide if Abortion is legal or not. Last night, McCain said that the federal government shouldn't be meddling in states rights (then mistakenly called it being a federalist), with regards to abortion.

What I want to know is... how far do you take that point of view? Should allowing women and blacks to vote be a decision of the state and not the federal government? Should there be any fear that a McCain/Palin or the inevitable Palin/Jesus ticket would try and roll things back even farther into the hands of the states? Or is it all just a convenient line to attack a single issue they disagree with and they choose to live with the cognitive dissonance required to follow through with it?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I don't.

Not necessarily. In my case it's more like "The rest of you do whatever and I'll just go with it".

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I don't.

Well, the important thing is that you vote pro-choice. Not everyone has to be a hardcore advocate of every issue.

Depends on what the vote is for.

I'm largely concerned about setting precedent. While the argument over how human a fetus is is cloudy at best, no one can deny that it will eventually be a child, a teenager, and an adult. I empathize with most reasons people need an abortion, but I'm worried that if "The Mother's Right to Her Body" can be applied to, for example, the deaf couple that wanted to genetically engineer their child to be born deaf, something I found absolutely appalling. It's not so much of a slippery slope because there are already examples of people trying to accomplish this.

The debate is largely framed by the All and the Nothing. I see plenty of middle grounders who tend to get over shouted by those that speak in general terms.

Sheep on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    "The Mother's Right to Her Body" can be applied to, for example, the deaf couple that wanted to genetically engineer their child to be born deaf, something I found absolutely appalling. It's not so much of a slippery slope because there are already examples of people trying to accomplish this.

The debate is largely framed by the All and the Nothing. I see plenty of middle grounders who tend to get over shouted by those that speak in general terms.

This is reaching. The child in this case would be able to sue the fuck out of the parents for abuse, and the doctors would have violated their oaths.

The Right to her Body argument is basically "You don't get to use this woman as your fucking house unless she wants you to."

Incenjucar on
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the deaf couple that wanted to genetically engineer their child to be born deaf

Wow there are actually people like this? My fiance only has about 30% of her hearing in one ear and we both hope that someday the damage (spinal meningitis at age 2) will be reparable. She would never want to inflict the same difficulties she deals with on a daily basis on our future children.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
    edited October 2008
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I dunno after the dnc and then the RNC we saw that Obama can dip below McCain. Not to be all doom and gloom just saying polls don't always reflect what we'd like.
    Oh, believe me; I remember the situation after the RNC. I just think it's a very different race at this point. Obama's positives are going up, as are McCain's negatives. The economy has shifted the public conciousness into the Democratic corner and polling from individual states (the only ones that really matter) shows Obama gaining or passing McCain in places that nobody would expect in any other year.

McCain has hit the high end of his support at this point. Between debate performances, the overall media frame and public opinion about his campaign, he'll be lucky to add another percentage point before the election. Obama on the other hand is quickly becoming a familiar and comfortable figure for more and more Americans, ironically in part because they don't trust McCain when he bashes Obama.

Again, I expect the overall margin to narrow as we get closer to election day, but I don't think Obama is going to dip below McCain in national polling between now and then.

OptimusZed on

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Early voting has begun in NC and lines are as much as an hour long.

And McCain has launched his robocalls.
    syndalis wrote: »
    McCain and Palin have both said they would rather let the states have the authority to decide if Abortion is legal or not. Last night, McCain said that the federal government shouldn't be meddling in states rights (then mistakenly called it being a federalist), with regards to abortion.

What I want to know is... how far do you take that point of view? Should allowing women and blacks to vote be a decision of the state and not the federal government? Should there be any fear that a McCain/Palin or the inevitable Palin/Jesus ticket would try and roll things back even farther into the hands of the states? Or is it all just a convenient line to attack a single issue they disagree with and they choose to live with the cognitive dissonance required to follow through with it?

This was the position of Reagan, their demi-god. He opposed the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. "State's Rights" is a distraction.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited October 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    This was the position of Reagan, their demi-god. He opposed the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. "State's Rights" is a distraction.
    More to the point, it's code for "we don't like the darkies or the femanists anymore than you do, trust us."

OptimusZed on

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There's this chick on CNN that looks like a whore. And then there's one who looks like she can chomp someone's head off.

Goose! on
  • StreckStreck Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A heartening update from Al Giordano at the always-excellent blog, The Field:

http://narcosphere.narconews.com/thefield/community-organizing-renaissance
    On Monday, Mic ah Sifry of TechPresident did some counting by hand:

# of upcoming McCain events happening within a 25 mile radius of Orlando, Florida: 8

# of upcoming Obama events happening within a 25-mile radius of Orlando: 84

# of upcoming McCain events within a 25-mile radius of Dayton, Ohio: 8

# of upcoming Obama events within a 25-mile radius of Dayton: 57

There are ten thousand potential newspaper, TV and radio news stories in those numbers, and at least as many "reporters" in need of a good report, but as during the primaries, the commercial media are leaving the real story of the 2008 United States presidential election to a few intrepid online journalists and bloggers. When on Election Night they will raise their eyebrows and go, wow, just wow, how the hell did that happen?, it will be the Field Hands here, and a very few folks like Sifrey, like Sean Quinn at 538 and Zack Exley at The Huffington Post who will have documented the answer: It was the organizing, stupid!

Streck on
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I don't.

Depends on what the vote is for.

I'm largely concerned about setting precedent. While the argument over how human a fetus is is cloudy at best, no one can deny that it will eventually be a child, a teenager, and an adult. I empathize with most reasons people need an abortion, but I'm worried that if "The Mother's Right to Her Body" can be applied to, for example, the deaf couple that wanted to genetically engineer their child to be born deaf, something I found absolutely appalling. It's not so much of a slippery slope because there are already examples of people trying to accomplish this.

It's still a slippery slope arguement. Direct correlation can't be proven.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Wow there are actually people like this? My fiance only has about 30% of her hearing in one ear and we both hope that someday the damage (spinal meningitis at age 2) will be reparable. She would never want to inflict the same difficulties she deals with on a daily basis on our future children.

Yeah, this sort of shit infuriates the hell out of me every time I hear it.

Screamline on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Basically, if the fetus counts as a person then it's not the fetus's fault that its father is a rapist, and if the fetus doesn't count as a person then why should abortion be limited to cases of rape? The compromise of "abortion only in the case of rape/incest/whatever other extenuating circumstance" is a compromise between two different, internally consistent positions, where the compromise itself makes no logical sense.

But that's how most compromises work.

I'm not sure a woman owes that little person (if it is a person) the use of her body, though.

Does that mean we can charge the bastard with breaking and entering and refusal to vacate?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just got an e-mail from Joe Biden:
    Mike --

Anyone who tells you this election is already decided is dead wrong. Let's not forget the 2000 election, when Al Gore was up by double digits in October.

The surest way to lose a race is to slow down with the finish line in sight.

Joe Biden has sent me into an insane panic.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Mike --

Anyone who tells you this election is already decided is dead wrong. Let's not forget the 2000 election, when Al Gore was up by double digits in October.

webpg2letsgo.jpg

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I got that too and i saw something like that on cnn.

Barcardi on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mike --

Dude, the Dems have learned to fearmonger.

kildy on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2008
    Mike --

no, the dems have learned that resting on your laurels is ALWAYS a bad choice.

Good show, Joe.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited October 2008
    So today I am trying carpooling all of my apathetic friends to the early voting here in NC; they are all pro-bama, but I have no faith in them going it alone.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    God. Poor Al Gore. That was such a mess. I just, I just felt so bad for him.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

They'll be unstoppable! Arrrooo

Incenjucar on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And so it was that another candidate learned not to screw up your panderings to the local sports team.

Namely, if you're going to mention the playoffs, pick one team and stick with it.
    "How about those Tampa Bay Rays?" Gov. Sarah Palin shouted in Jacksonville last week.

"You know what that tells me, it tells me that the people in this area know a little something about turning an underdog into a victor," she said. "And we're counting on you to help us do that Nov. 4." Palin, who said essentially the same thing in Clearwater, might as well have pulled on a Rays jersey and sprayed the crowd with champagne and beer.

But yesterday in Salem, N.H., John McCain's running mate was saying something remarkably similar about the other guys. “We’re just 20 days out from the election and it’s gonna come right down to the wire, and we’re counting on you because Red Sox fans know how to turn an underdog into a victor, and that’s exactly what you can help us do on Nov. 4!"

For his part, Obama waited until the White Sox were knocked out to throw in with the Phillies.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gosling wrote: »
    And so it was that another candidate learned not to screw up your panderings to the local sports team.

Namely, if you're going to mention the playoffs, pick one team and stick with it.
    "How about those Tampa Bay Rays?" Gov. Sarah Palin shouted in Jacksonville last week.

"You know what that tells me, it tells me that the people in this area know a little something about turning an underdog into a victor," she said. "And we're counting on you to help us do that Nov. 4." Palin, who said essentially the same thing in Clearwater, might as well have pulled on a Rays jersey and sprayed the crowd with champagne and beer.

But yesterday in Salem, N.H., John McCain's running mate was saying something remarkably similar about the other guys. “We’re just 20 days out from the election and it’s gonna come right down to the wire, and we’re counting on you because Red Sox fans know how to turn an underdog into a victor, and that’s exactly what you can help us do on Nov. 4!"

It'll be a while before anyone panders to Orioles fans. :(

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That's why I love Biden's "We're going to kick Ohio State's ass", WHILE he was in Ohio. You don't abandon your team! I don't want a MAVERICK, I want LOYALTY TO WHAT YOU BELIEVE.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Screamline wrote: »

Yeah, this sort of shit infuriates the hell out of me every time I hear it.

I believe it was a set of deaf parents who were doing artificial insemination and wanted to select a fertilized egg that would be deaf.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

It'll be never when anyone panders to Cubs fans. :(

Kilroy on
This discussion has been closed.