As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nerdy stand-up

13»

• Options
    direnerddirenerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got it at Best Buy with some gift cards, didn't keep the receipt. Never needed to exchange a game before. I'm kinda fucked.

I did all that memory cache clearing shit though, none of that works. Fucking Bioware.

direnerd on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    direnerd wrote: »
    I got it at Best Buy with some gift cards, didn't keep the receipt. Never needed to exchange a game before. I'm kinda fucked.

I did all that memory cache clearing shit though, none of that works. Fucking Bioware.

He clearly said Wal*Mart. It won't work if you take it back to Best Buy!

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Direnerd: You don't need a receipt at Wally World. Take the game in regardless of where you bought it and exchange it straight across for a new one. Just don't tell them you got it somewhere else. :P

Normally I don't like shopping at Wally World, but in this case they're not profiting any from the exchange, so I say go for it.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm from Chicago, they didn't let Wal-Mart even build a store within 10 miles of us until last year! I still don't think there's one in city limits.

Plus, yea, the handful of times I've been in there I was so terrified by the state of mankind that I learned no such return policy. Invoking the name Wal-Mart means nothing to me unless you want to scare me.

I'll give that a try though, thanks!

direnerd on
  • Options
    Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm from Chicago, they didn't let Wal-Mart even build a store within 10 miles of us until last year! I still don't think there's one in city limits.

Dude. We have no less than 5, and that is within the city limits...

*Que the blue grass and spin up the Blue Collar Comedy Tour DVD*
    Seriously, I have nothing against either one of those, but I could do both for you right now.

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If there's one thing I like about BFE, WA (Bum-Fsck Ellensburg) it's that they refuse to let a Wal*Mart build here. It would literally kill the town except for the university, and I really wouldn't want to see that happen. Still, if it's available and you can take advantage of them, go for it. Just don't give them a profit. ;)

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Eh, I emailed the organizers with no response. Since I'm not nationally famous I don't have a booking agent who can get "the right phone number" or anything.

An open mic would be a lot more work for the organizers, too. It's not a bad idea- hell, I am asking for the same thing except I'm saying I have enough material tested and prepared to go the whole time. If you just let anyone from the community up it would be "honest", but as someone who has seen 12 years worth of that kind of thing it might get hard to watch after a while. I could sustain a crowd, or I wouldn't bother.

Sorry if I seem disingenuous to anyone. I'm not trying to make a quick buck or anything- I could give a shit how much a gig like this would pay. I don't do stand-up for money, I do it because it's my calling and I love it. I've performed for a sci-fi show and it was such a blast to write and perform material for that kind of audience. I really love this community. I wouldn't bother with this thread otherwise. If this seems cheap to you I suppose it's possible that stand-up just isn't your kind of thing and open mic aside you'd prefer the Mini-Bosses- I have no less love for the community than any of you and would sure as hell like to see the Mini-Bosses. Stand-up takes a lot of work to make good and I wouldn't bother you guys if I didn't think I could go up there and give you a good time. I think a lot of people would really like my stuff.

I've gotten a ton of great messages from people because I posted this thread. If I don't get booked I'm just glad I could find some fans. I'd have just posted this in a General PA forum, but I think because this stuff is best live it would be a great chance to reach a bunch of like-minded people. Again, not for a cheap reason but because I love it. Thanks regardless for letting me run it by you all! For reals.

I for one think your act should be part of PAX, and if PA Inc. doesn't go for it (and I'll be sure to put in a good word the next time I have any contact with the illustrious Khoo, Kalles, or Amber F.), as the shadow organizer of the Pre-PAX dinner I might try to see if we can host you either this year or next. Depends a lot on the venue we find and any overhead we have (if you can't afford to transport yourself).

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I sent one more email out to Gabe and Tycho last week, first in a couple months, formally outlining what I would like to do and pitching it as a fan and professional!

Thank you for all the awesome support. As I've said, I know stand-up has a disingenuous reputation (especially from fellow intelligent nerds) so I won't be shocked if this is all for naught. I'm just so convinced of how awesome this would be.

If any of you live in the Chicago area and have Comcast On Demand, I'm in there! Go to "Get Local", then "Comcast Open Mic". It's not an actual open mic, it's booked in advance. But Comcast heard how much comedy people like to say "open mic" and just had to put it in the title. :|

direnerd on
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Eh, I emailed the organizers with no response. Since I'm not nationally famous I don't have a booking agent who can get "the right phone number" or anything.

An open mic would be a lot more work for the organizers, too. It's not a bad idea- hell, I am asking for the same thing except I'm saying I have enough material tested and prepared to go the whole time. If you just let anyone from the community up it would be "honest", but as someone who has seen 12 years worth of that kind of thing it might get hard to watch after a while. I could sustain a crowd, or I wouldn't bother.

Sorry if I seem disingenuous to anyone. I'm not trying to make a quick buck or anything- I could give a shit how much a gig like this would pay. I don't do stand-up for money, I do it because it's my calling and I love it. I've performed for a sci-fi show and it was such a blast to write and perform material for that kind of audience. I really love this community. I wouldn't bother with this thread otherwise. If this seems cheap to you I suppose it's possible that stand-up just isn't your kind of thing and open mic aside you'd prefer the Mini-Bosses- I have no less love for the community than any of you and would sure as hell like to see the Mini-Bosses. Stand-up takes a lot of work to make good and I wouldn't bother you guys if I didn't think I could go up there and give you a good time. I think a lot of people would really like my stuff.

I've gotten a ton of great messages from people because I posted this thread. If I don't get booked I'm just glad I could find some fans. I'd have just posted this in a General PA forum, but I think because this stuff is best live it would be a great chance to reach a bunch of like-minded people. Again, not for a cheap reason but because I love it. Thanks regardless for letting me run it by you all! For reals.

I for one think your act should be part of PAX, and if PA Inc. doesn't go for it (and I'll be sure to put in a good word the next time I have any contact with the illustrious Khoo, Kalles, or Amber F.), as the shadow organizer of the Pre-PAX dinner I might try to see if we can host you either this year or next. Depends a lot on the venue we find and any overhead we have (if you can't afford to transport yourself).

Now that's a great idea: Dinner, drinks, and stand-up!

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Speaking of tangents, Mass Effect giving me an Unreadable Disk Error? I logged 30 hours on that game, I could write an entire set based on that tragedy alone.

Had that EXACT same issue. Exchange it at wal*mart, and it'll work. At least for me it did. :)

I owe you. Big time. I can't believe that after trying a friend's copy to no avail that this worked. Something about a virginal disc must have done the trick. MY FAVORITE GAME IS BACK!

It seems my shot at PAX may be shrinking as my emails to the big guns have gone unanswered. Good for PA that it's become such a huge deal I'd need a professional booker to get in! It is no small victory that this thread gave Mass Effect back to me!

Here's one more video for you guys. It's a little less nerdy reference-wise, but I think you'll like it:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2091758291

We'll see if I can afford PAX this year without a performance. My baby is due next month, and money might be tight. Even if I had a house to crash at, I don't know if I can justify leaving my wife at home with the baby and without a show on the agenda. No matter what I am really grateful for the generosity and hospitality you guys extended! I will see if I have better luck grabbing their attention for '09 if this doesn't happen. Maybe I can just get famous in general and they will approach me.

I can always dream.

direnerd on
  • Options
    bowlofpetuniasbowlofpetunias Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dude, Dan... I've seen you around. I'm frequently in the Chicago comedy scene myself, on the Improv/Sketch side of it all. Anyway, good stuff as always.

I will buy you something to drink or something the next time I see you.

bowlofpetunias on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'll be on baby-hiatus from performing until at least April, but yay! Who are you? I've done improv in Chicago for 12 years, so there's a reasonable chance I've seen you around as well.

Stop by Chicago Underground Comedy some Tuesday and say hi. I won't be taking a slot to perform for a while, but I produce and book the show so I will still be there every week running things.

direnerd on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Have to say Dan, I like your stuff. You deserve kudos.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    finally got around to watching that, it was very good. i lol'd to the max!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm on Facebook now too. There's a video on my fan page that I didn't put up anywhere else, if you need a reason to click yet once more:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dan-Telfer/9483078489

Thanks for the compliements, Squirminator2k and dyaballikl.

direnerd on
  • Options
    AvidAvid Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Here is some money.
    MonopolyMoney.jpg

Avid on
  • Options
    AvidAvid Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Damn dude that was funny, good act!

Avid on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmm, Dan, have you mentioned anything to Khoo? Maybe he'd be the person to talk to. I'd be good to have you there, you're made of comical win =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    This thread's been dead for four months. Why exactly was it resurrected?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh, I don't know how it came to pass. =( I saw it up on the first page of threads, and I figured I'd join in on the conversation =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh, I don't know how it came to pass. =( I saw it up on the first page of threads, and I figured I'd join in on the conversation =)

My one infraction was for doing that.... it was kinda messed up :(

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    =( Ah, aye. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think this would be great. Not to be a negative nancy though, but I don't think G & T would be funding anyone's travel expense.

redhalo on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    This thread's been dead for four months. Why exactly was it resurrected?

*Points at Avid*

And I have no clue why.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yea, stop posting to this thread!

Oh wait, that was two months ago.

Did anyone see Patton Oswalt at BlizzCon? I listened to the set and thought it was awesome. It was interesting to me on many levels- 1) Clearly a good nerd convention will now aim for nerd comedians more famous than I, which is great! 2) Reactions were mixed. A lot of people seemed annoyed there was stand-up comedy, period, while others were really irked that "nerd core comedians" weren't selected instead (I wouldn't go so far as to call myself one of those) and yet others just didn't like Patton Oswalt. This seems nuts to me, as Patton is about the biggest geek of all time, even if he doesn't play video games. The guy owns a Bladerunner pistol and worships at Lovecraft's gravesite for pete's sake.

Anyway, this has gone from a pipe dream to something more realistic for me. I seriously doubt I'd get booked without having a higher profile, and that's okay with me. I have nothing but respect and adoration for PAX and G&T. Thanks to everyone I've met through this thread, it was a fun experiment. If any of you live around LA, I'm going to be performing in the LA Comedy Festival in a couple weeks. In addition to the festival I've got a show at the UCB Theatre and some other places around town. Maybe I'll see you out there!

-Dan

direnerd on
This discussion has been closed.