As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superman: Man of Tomorrow! (and his dog)

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I mean I won't deny that he usually does just go back and add to the mythology, which is really cool most of the time, but Secret Origin was sort of dumb and unnecessary

Sars_Boy on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Action Comics
    There goes Pa. :(

I don't see the point of this.
    It was broken in the news as a big thing, but it didn't do anything for me. And I don't know why they even put it in the news since both mainstream Superman "outlets" (the films and Smallville) had Jonathan Kent killed off. I don't think it was an especially powerful scene and I don't see what point it will serve in the future.

Unless he's gonna be a Black Lantern
    During the Byrne era I'd say Pa and Ma kent were very important figures in the stories. Especially those that showcased the Eradicator (Day of the Krypton Man and Return of...) and during the Funeral for a Friend. They haven't been used effectively ever since so...I don't feel that bad. It was his time anyway.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hasn't he already died of a heart attack like 3 times already?

Fencingsax on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Jimmy Olsen special was really, really good.

Bloods End on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

he definitely does in an excellent issue of all star

(that issue also ties in explicitly with DC One Million, a fact which blew my mind when i recently reread one million)

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited October 2008
    wait, how does it tie in more than the supe from DC One Million being one of the alt earth supes?

Sars_Boy on
    edited October 2008
    Servo wrote: »

(that issue also ties in explicitly with DC One Million, a fact which blew my mind when i recently reread one million)

Everything Morrison has ever written ties in with each other.

Bloods End on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »

Everything Morrison has ever written ties in with each other.
    Hell, New X-Men probably ties in with the Invisibles

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    wait, how does it tie in more than the supe from DC One Million being one of the alt earth supes?
    edit- okay well
    well, the golden superman who appears and gives kal a flower in all-star is clearly the kal-el from the year 85,271

and in one million when regular superman and the superman from the future are flying around stopping a riot, regular superman is talking about how astonishing all this is to him and future superman's response is "In my era, meetings like this are commonplace. Just two days ago, I fought the Chronovore with the Superman Squad-- Supermen from various eras who've banded together to defend the timestream."

edit- so basically he took a throwaway line from a big event comic and ten years later turned it into a pivotal issue of his new superman series

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Could you guys spoiler-tag the all-star stuff?

I'm waiting for the second tpb to hit (yes, tpb, not hardcover) before I read it.

HadjiQuest on
    edited October 2008
    you should get on that shit

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    you should get on that shit

Being a currently-unemployed community college student is not the best way to keep up on comics.

Especially when you haven't regularly read any DC titles since the early 90s.

HadjiQuest on
    edited October 2008
    the best parts about all star superman is that you don't really have to have read any superman before and the trade is only 13 bucks

just sayin!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    The Jimmy Olsen special was really, really good.

yeah it was

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    edit- okay well
    well, the golden superman who appears and gives kal a flower in all-star is clearly the kal-el from the year 85,271

and in one million when regular superman and the superman from the future are flying around stopping a riot, regular superman is talking about how astonishing all this is to him and future superman's response is "In my era, meetings like this are commonplace. Just two days ago, I fought the Chronovore with the Superman Squad-- Supermen from various eras who've banded together to defend the timestream."

edit- so basically he took a throwaway line from a big event comic and ten years later turned it into a pivotal issue of his new superman series
    oh shit that's awesome

Sars_Boy on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Did anyone pick-up the "New Krypton" issue #1? Is this a new ongoing Superman book, or what?

Lucascraft on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I picked it up and it was rather good. Not an ongoing, it's just setting everything up for the upcoming crossover between Superman, Action Comics, and Supergirl, which starts next week I believe.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2008
    It was a one-shot special to kick off the New Krypton event that's going on in the three Superman/Supergirl books

it also follows the Jimmy Olsen special from last week

Garlic Bread on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh ok. So is Geoff Johns going to be writing the event? Or what's the deal with ti?

(Sorry for my ignorance. I've been on vacation for the past 2 weeks. I have a lot of catching up to do this week)

Lucascraft on
    edited October 2008
    Geoff Johns writes Action Comics, James Robinson writes Superman, and Sterling Gates writes Supergirl

Garlic Bread on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I thought the New Krypton special was great. Well, at least the Geoff Johns written parts.

"Superman must be the happiest being on the planet now."

Also the random kryptonian punching out a blue whale.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited October 2008
    00008df2

Bloods End on
    edited October 2008
    Kirk Warren asked about this over on his blog The Weekly Crisis and now I'm curious; is the New Krypton story tying in all of the Superman books such that it will be comprised of "parts" requiring someone to pick up all of the series, or will Superman, Action Comics, and Supergirl be running different stories that pertain to the overall event?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The former

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, shit. I was thinking about picking up Supergirl to see if this new guy can pull it the book together but eh I guess I'll just wait till this crossover is done.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited October 2008
    His first issue of Supergirl was last month and was reeeeaaly good.

Are you not reading Action and Superman?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nope

I picked up the first issue of Johns' run on Action and wasn't particularly impressed. I wasn't at all suprised by this as I don't really like Superman, so I can't really be bothered getting into this big crossover.

I might pick up last months issue of Supergirl, though, just to have a look.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited October 2008
    You should check out the Braniac arc.

It's seriously one of the best Superman stories I've ever read

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

Was that the one where she takes a secret identity. Because I didn't like it so much. Supergirl still seems way too concerned with what others think of her, and not concerned at all about her actual actions and their consequences.

Fencingsax on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Was that the one where she takes a secret identity. Because I didn't like it so much. Supergirl still seems way too concerned with what others think of her, and not concerned at all about her actual actions and their consequences.

Yes, not at all like a teenage girl.

And isn't the story arc supposed to address these very character flaws?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    Nope

I picked up the first issue of Johns' run on Action and wasn't particularly impressed. I wasn't at all suprised by this as I don't really like Superman, so I can't really be bothered getting into this big crossover.

I might pick up last months issue of Supergirl, though, just to have a look.

Johns's first issue of Action Comics was part of the OYL storyline "Up, Up, and Away", which was great

And the two most recent story arcs (with the Legion and Braniac respectively) are fantastic

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2008
    I didnt think Up, Up, and Away was that great.

but Brainiac was sooo good.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    I liked Up, Up, and Away a lot

and it's definitely the best OYL story

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2008

I haven't read it in a while but I don't remember Face The Face being really terrible. Except that dude who was into the Orca, yeesh.

Futt Bucker on
    edited October 2008
    Face the Face was good, the only problem with it was it should have come after we got a bunch of stories of Dent kicking butt in Gotham

instead of like "ALL THIS COOL SHIT HAPPANED BUT WE ARE NEVER ACTUALLY GONNA TELL ANY STORIES ABOUT IT"

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, Face the Face was pretty awesome.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited October 2008
    You should check out the Braniac arc.

It's seriously one of the best Superman stories I've ever read

Absolutely!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited October 2008
    Face the Face was good, the only problem with it was it should have come after we got a bunch of stories of Dent kicking butt in Gotham

instead of like "ALL THIS COOL SHIT HAPPANED BUT WE ARE NEVER ACTUALLY GONNA TELL ANY STORIES ABOUT IT"

Also I thought the conclusion was a bit of a letdown, especially for a guy that hadn't read Arkham Asylum: Living Hell.

Futt Bucker on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How good (bad?) is Loeb's Supergirl run?

smokmnky on
    edited October 2008

I haven't read it in a while but I don't remember Face The Face being really terrible. Except that dude who was into the Orca, yeesh.

There were some okay OYL stories (I liked Robin's aside from the whole ruining Batgirl thing), but Superman's was the best one

And yeah, the worst thing about Face the Face was that we didn't get any good Good-Harvey stories before it happened

Garlic Bread on