As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guitar Hero + wall-to-wall preaching = Guitar Praise

124»

• CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wtf, I just watched the trailer on youtube, and all they have done is rip guitar hero III off entirely, but add christian rock instead.

It even has the same multi and singleplayer mechanics such as star power and multiplayer battling (sending bad effects to the other player by tilting the guitar).

Like I said, this is just shovelware. It's a cynical marketing attempt, and nothing more. It'll go the same way as Rock Revolution, which is to say the bargain bin. And then the real bin.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    but GD, the drumming is amazing.
    sorry to be a dick about this, but there's a lot more out there if you want amazing metal drumming, especially if that's what you like best about them.

Man, newer As I Lay Dying is awful. The one he posted is not very good at all. Oh wow let's pound that double bass for the whole song

Exactly what I wanted to say.

How the fuck can anyone listen to that?

mooshoepork on
  • bigwordsconfusebigwordsconfuse Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, I guess it's not the best as far as skill goes (although that fast of double bassing has gotta take something)
    I dunno
    I find the double bass mesmerizing and just the pace makes me want to be able to drum it
    That and Run to the Hills do it for me.. but maybe it's just me.

bigwordsconfuse on
    Xbox Gamertag: JosephStahlin
    PSN ID: Joseff_stalin
    Steam ID: Joseff_stalin (man, what an unhealthy trend of handles..)
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I love As I Lay Dying, even if most of their songs do sound the same.

Also, that first video METAzrael posted is hilariously bad. It sounds like the vocalist has the mic in his throat.

Mr Pink on
  • KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thread needs more Living Sacrifice, my favorite band and one of the few Christian bands I still keep up with:
    Living Sacrifice - Death Machine

As silly as an "all Christian praise" Guitar Hero clone may seem, there really is a market for this kind of thing. I was one of those kids who wasn't allowed to listen to "secular" (aka, non-Christian) music as a kid, and I would have given anything for something like this since I probably wouldn't have been able to play the regular rhythm games. Fair or not, that's the reality and games like this can really make the life of a deprived fundie child better. Game quality isn't really an issue for them because the alternative is no game at all.

It's too bad that whoever was picking the songs for this basically tuned the radio on K-Love or whatever easy listening Christian channel was on and wrote down the songs they heard. There is so much great Christian music out there that gets overlooked by the mainstream because it's Christian and by "contemporary Christians" because it's too heavy/scary/evil looking.

I think Solid State Records should just come out with their own guitar game. They are an awesome Christian label that is (or was) home to pretty much every good Christian band you've ever heard (maybe without even realizing it), including Haste the Day, Underoath, Living Sacrifice, Blindside, Project 86, Norma Jean, etc etc. They were heaven to me as a kid because I could still listen to the music I liked because it was all "Christian," even though most of the songs don't beat you over the head with any kind of message at all.

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    To be fair, Guitar Praise comes on a CD. That's going to significantly impact the amount of space they can allocate to art.

Dehumanized on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Krentz wrote: »
    As silly as an "all Christian praise" Guitar Hero clone may seem, there really is a market for this kind of thing. I was one of those kids who wasn't allowed to listen to "secular" (aka, non-Christian) music as a kid, and I would have given anything for something like this since I probably wouldn't have been able to play the regular rhythm games. Fair or not, that's the reality and games like this can really make the life of a deprived fundie child better. Game quality isn't really an issue for them because the alternative is no game at all.

It's too bad that whoever was picking the songs for this basically tuned the radio on K-Love or whatever easy listening Christian channel was on and wrote down the songs they heard. There is so much great Christian music out there that gets overlooked by the mainstream because it's Christian and by "contemporary Christians" because it's too heavy/scary/evil looking.

I think Solid State Records should just come out with their own guitar game. They are an awesome Christian label that is (or was) home to pretty much every good Christian band you've ever heard (maybe without even realizing it), including Haste the Day, Underoath, Living Sacrifice, Blindside, Project 86, Norma Jean, etc etc. They were heaven to me as a kid because I could still listen to the music I liked because it was all "Christian," even though most of the songs don't beat you over the head with any kind of message at all.

I agree that there is a market for this, and I guess the kids trapped in that market (and it is somewhat of a captive audience) will be glad to have it.

I'll just say that I really wish Harmonix or Red Octane would just go ahead and market their own Christian version of the game. It can't be that expensive, seeing as they basically have the entire engine from their regular games to use. All they'd have to do is create some new models (characters and venues) and a setlist. Put it this way...it would probably be cheaper for Harmonix or Red Octane to put out a Christian game with proper GH/RB production values than it was for these douchebags to create this abomination.

And they'd be able to charge full price.

I simply can't see how this wouldn't be profitable. I think largely it's just a matter of them not thinking about it.

EDIT: Shit, I guess they would have to deal with licensing costs on the Xbox/PS3/Wii, which obviously aren't present on a PC. Still.

mcdermott on
  • KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I fully agree with the above points. Licensing this music can't cost much, and it would definitely appeal to a wide market (lots of Guitar Hero junkies would probably still buy it just to have more tracks to play).

And maybe they would pick some decent songs too.

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It might be worth it to point out that being more interested in a genre of music doesn't make anybody particularly good at predicting the wider appeal. Both RB and GH have, for lack of a better phrase, higher standards than this game does. They would need to pick 'better' examples of music. This would cost them more money.

And it would be rather foolish to suggest that they leap whole-heartedly into the Christian music fray by releasing a whole title of it. There is already some backlash against the GH model of 'brand extension' and Rock Band is catching some flak over the AC/DC thing. DLC is practically the only way they can go, at least at first, if they want to gauge what the cross-over appeal would be.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It might be worth it to point out that being more interested in a genre of music doesn't make anybody particularly good at predicting the wider appeal. Both RB and GH have, for lack of a better phrase, higher standards than this game does. They would need to pick 'better' examples of music. This would cost them more money.

And it would be rather foolish to suggest that they leap whole-heartedly into the Christian music fray by releasing a whole title of it. There is already some backlash against the GH model of 'brand extension' and Rock Band is catching some flak over the AC/DC thing. DLC is practically the only way they can go, at least at first, if they want to gauge what the cross-over appeal would be.

I would at least be happy with DLC. Rock Band had a song from Flyleaf in it, which there is a song from them in this game as well. So that was a step in the direction I would like to see, but some actual DLC of some other bands like Skillet, etc would be nice.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I would at least be happy with DLC. Rock Band had a song from Flyleaf in it, which there is a song from them in this game as well. So that was a step in the direction I would like to see, but some actual DLC of some other bands like Skillet, etc would be nice.

It wouldn't work out so well, and wouldn't address the root problem, though...because you'd still be shutting out a lot of the kids those tracks would be marketed to because their parents would never agree to buy the primary game in the first place.

But yeah, better than nothing.

mcdermott on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »

It wouldn't work out so well, and wouldn't address the root problem, though...because you'd still be shutting out a lot of the kids those tracks would be marketed to because their parents would never agree to buy the primary game in the first place.

It would test the market to see if there's enough people out there who would buy it, then they could make a stand-alone game.

But yeah, as it is I could take neither GH3 or RB into the church for youth group activities. And my church is fairly lenient about things.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Huh. my mom's/brother's church let them bring in Rock Band for youth group/the skate park nights..

In fact, it's one of the main activities at church camp.

FyreWulff on
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

Which is simultaneously the funniest and saddest thing in the world.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png